PDA

View Full Version : NAV system Q.

Bandit
08-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Okay I'm not the most technology current, but seeing things like onstar which require a subscribtion to be a part of. Does say the navigation system in bimmers require one to use the GPS on the navigation system? Because if it is free as in the GPS, well I'd be all for that!
Thanks

alee
08-23-2003, 10:58 PM
It's "free" in the sense that you have no recurring monthly subscriptions. However, you only get 1 navigation DVD, and 1 free update to that DVD (typically they're released 1 a year). After that (so typically 2 yrs later), if you want updates, you need to buy a new DVD. It isn't required, but if you do update, it would run you approximately $120 everytime you get a new DVD.

Bandit
08-23-2003, 11:04 PM
Thats awesome I always thought using the GPS would cost subscrition fees, and veered away Nav systems, thanks for the quick reply!

Pinecone
08-24-2003, 04:15 AM
You already paid for GPS service. Every spring on or before April 15. :)

BTW the EU is planning on launching some sats to add to the cluster. They cal their's something else, but they are compatible with GPS.

Alex Baumann
08-24-2003, 05:43 AM
BTW the EU is planning on launching some sats to add to the cluster. They cal their's something else, but they are compatible with GPS.

Galileo. :)

The first signal is supposed to be sent in April 2004. It will use a network of 30 satellites.

Bandit
08-24-2003, 10:43 AM
You already paid for GPS service. Every spring on or before April 15. :)

I pay for GPS service every spring ?!? wha? So there is an annual fee for GPS?

Pinecone
08-24-2003, 10:45 AM
I pay for GPS service every spring ?!? wha? So there is an annual fee for GPS?

Yeap,and you pay even if you don't have a nav system.

It is called income tax, the government "gives" it to us as a service for collecting all those taxes. :)

Pinecone
08-24-2003, 10:46 AM

The first signal is supposed to be sent in April 2004. It will use a network of 30 satellites.

Thanks. I just couldn't remember the mane :thumbup:

Spectre
08-25-2003, 12:25 PM

I suppose we'll still have to get new equipment to take advantage of Galileo? Heck, the current Nav is only 6 channels as it is. I wonder how it would take advantage of additional satellites overhead. It also doesn't use WAAS (in the US) which would make the positioning extremely accurate. :(

Pinecone
08-27-2003, 04:06 AM
I suppose we'll still have to get new equipment to take advantage of Galileo? Heck, the current Nav is only 6 channels as it is. I wonder how it would take advantage of additional satellites overhead. It also doesn't use WAAS (in the US) which would make the positioning extremely accurate. :(

Nope, supposed to be totally compatible with current GPS equipment. As it is we use both GPS and the Russian sats (although they may be failing by now).

The advantage will be that if they do the orbits correctly, you will have more sats at any given time, and more of them will be in better positions to give accuate nav info.

Spectre
08-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Nope, supposed to be totally compatible with current GPS equipment. As it is we use both GPS and the Russian sats (although they may be failing by now).

The advantage will be that if they do the orbits correctly, you will have more sats at any given time, and more of them will be in better positions to give accuate nav info.
I wasn't aware our systems were GLONASS compatible. Although I have seen GPS-GLONASS joint function equipment out there, I thought most car systems were GPS only. Using GLONASS would help already, making Galileo a nice replacement for when GLONASS begins to degrade.

Pinecone
08-28-2003, 05:26 AM
I wasn't aware our systems were GLONASS compatible. Although I have seen GPS-GLONASS joint function equipment out there, I thought most car systems were GPS only. Using GLONASS would help already, making Galileo a nice replacement for when GLONASS begins to degrade.

I am working off of memory of a long ago event. :) But I tought that newer equipment uses both.