PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Area People, anyone get hit with laser much

FlyingDutchMan
08-24-2003, 12:18 AM
I have had my V1 for sometime now, and I have yet to get hit with Laser. The LASD and CHP seem to use Ka alot. Anyone here see laser in use much.

remington
08-24-2003, 12:23 AM
I have had my V1 for sometime now, and I have yet to get hit with Laser. The LASD and CHP seem to use Ka alot. Anyone here see laser in use much.

I'm in central Cali but the CHP seems to use a lot of Ka. Of course you won't hear laser much on your V1, I've NEVER heard it on my V1, when you do hear it it will mean you will have a ticket.

car_for_mom
08-24-2003, 07:24 AM
Hey, FlyingDutchMan,

Good to see you! How ya doin'? How's my M3? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hopefully, the car tax, excuse me, Vehicle License Fee, will be rolled back or eliminated by the time of your next registration ;)

Hope you're enjoying your car, and loving life (until you go to the gas station; any day now, I expect to see banks open branch offices at pumps offering attractive financing on Premium Unleaded! :rolleyes: )

Cliff
08-24-2003, 08:02 AM
No real hits. I get the occasional false alarm on laser from LED taillights. Ka band (and the rare K band unit that is not masquerading as a grocery store) seems to be the norm.

Plaz
08-24-2003, 11:30 AM
No real hits. I get the occasional false alarm on laser from LED taillights. Ka band (and the rare K band unit that is not masquerading as a grocery store) seems to be the norm.

What he said. TrailBlazers seem to be the worst taillight offenders.

Even with X band turned off, I still refer to my V1 as my "Ralph's Detector" when passengers in the car ask what all the hubbub is when it goes wild.

Mr. The Edge
08-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Is there a reason why the V1 falses because of LED tailights, but the 8500 doesn't?

Plaz
08-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Is there a reason why the V1 falses because of LED tailights, but the 8500 doesn't?

I bet there is. :angel:

It's pretty rare, honestly.

The motion detectors in my company's parking garage set it off too. Tres annoying.

FlyingDutchMan
08-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey, FlyingDutchMan,

Good to see you! How ya doin'? How's my M3? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hopefully, the car tax, excuse me, Vehicle License Fee, will be rolled back or eliminated by the time of your next registration ;)

Hope you're enjoying your car, and loving life (until you go to the gas station; any day now, I expect to see banks open branch offices at pumps offering attractive financing on Premium Unleaded! :rolleyes: )

Fortunately I am paid through till May of next year, long enough for Arnie to short this mess out and repeal the fee bump.

xspeedy
08-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Yeah, the Trailblazers/Envoys really set off the laser.

I have had a V1 for seven years now and I haven't been hit with genuine laser until recently, when the Austin PD started equipping sneaky scooter cops with them.

If you don't have laser in CA then enjoy. Once you hear the alarm, you may as well pull over.

Mr. The Edge
08-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Austin PD LOVES to use laser on MoPac under the bridge at Barton Springs Rd. It's a great location for them because headed North from 360, the road is steep enough that you can't see them until the crest of the hill, and you're a sitting duck.

We would see them stationed there every Sunday morning on the way to Church.

The HACK
08-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Some LOCAL municipalities use K and Lazers. Covina Police seems to have Lazer (got tagged once but wasn't going fast enough for them to pull me over), San Gabriel and Alhambra police seems to use K sometimes (very confusing, because they can be a few blocks away from a mall and tag your *ss and you'd think it's a false), and Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario motorcycle cops also has Lazer (again, tagged but released)

The tricky thing about lazer, is that it looks to me like only certain units have them. Not all the units in each department use a certain standard, and the lazers are almost always mounted on motorcycle police (they can stop and point their bikes toward on-coming traffic to give them the best possibility of a good tag). It's impossible to RULE OUT lazer at any municipality except CHP...Yet to see a chippie with lazer.

e46supra
08-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Sneaky Chula Vista PD uses Lazer with the motocops.

Last Tuesday I got tagged going 51 in a 35 (right where the 50 MPH zone turns into a 35) in my Tundra, stopped with 3 other cars at the same time.

My first traffic ticket ever.

Must be time to make some money for them.

italia550i
08-25-2003, 01:13 PM

Yep, I got hit with laser about a month ago in Sherman Oaks by a motocop. Bastard. This was before my V1, not sure if it would have helped though. Good nes about laser is that it a an easier ticket to beat. I am planning to fight this one.

I got off on a radar ticket based on calibration evidence that wasn't presented. It was pretty fun making the cop look like an ass and having the judge grant my motion to dismiss. Oh this is funny... there was a woman before the judge right before me who wanted to hire me as her attorney after seeing me win my case. But it was out in Shafter County, so it would have cost her too much just for me to drive up and back. :D

But if any of you Festers want to fight a ticket, let me know and I can either give you some helpful pointers or even lend my professional services. :)

FlyingDutchMan
08-25-2003, 02:04 PM
I two speeding tickets pending. Both radar. Out of the 24 speeding tickets I have had in 11 years, only these last two were on radar. I never thought much of getting a radar detector because I was always paced.

As of these last two I installed a ZR3 and V1 in the car.

One of the radar tickets I am going to fight, the sherrif was going the other direction (on coming) on Malibu Canyon, at night. I had two cars in front of me. He flipped a quick u-turn and pulled me over. Said he had me going 76 in a 45, almost double! I didn't say anything, just let him right the ticket, I knew this group of us wasn't clipping along that quick. I am no clear how he determined which car was going what speed? Much less how he could tell how many cars are coming at you single file at night into oncoming head lights.

Bruce128iC
08-25-2003, 02:07 PM
I two speeding tickets pending. Both radar. Out of the 24 speeding tickets I have had in 11 years, only these last two were on radar. I never thought much of getting a radar detector because I was always paced.

As of these last two I installed a ZR3 and V1 in the car.

One of the radar tickets I am going to fight, the sherrif was going the other direction (on coming) on Malibu Canyon, at night. I had two cars in front of me. He flipped a quick u-turn and pulled me over. Said he had me going 76 in a 45, almost double! I didn't say anything, just let him right the ticket, I knew this group of us wasn't clipping along that quick. I am no clear how he determined which car was going what speed? Much less how he could tell how many cars are coming at you single file at night into oncoming head lights.
24 tickets in 11 years! Man, you're insurance must be crazy on that M3!

SergioK
08-25-2003, 02:31 PM
I know for a fact that Seal Beach PD uses laser in virtually all their cruisers and motorcycles. I don't think they even have any K or Ka.

nate
08-25-2003, 02:34 PM
I have noticed a LOT more places using laser.

HPD does, LSP...ugh! You don't want to encounter that, but V1 is the best defence against laser...

Mr. The Edge
08-25-2003, 02:35 PM
I have noticed a LOT more places using laser.

HPD does, LSP...ugh! You don't want to encounter that, but V1 is the best defence against laser...
:confused:

K40 :rolleyes:

nate
08-25-2003, 02:41 PM
:confused:

K40 :rolleyes:
wrong

Mr. The Edge
08-25-2003, 03:19 PM
wrong

how is a laser detector a better defense than a diffuser?

:nono:

EDIT: and I meant Lidatek instead of K40 :eeps:

scottn2retro
08-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Yep, I got hit with laser about a month ago in Sherman Oaks by a motocop. Bastard. This was before my V1, not sure if it would have helped though. Good nes about laser is that it a an easier ticket to beat. I am planning to fight this one.

But if any of you Festers want to fight a ticket, let me know and I can either give you some helpful pointers or even lend my professional services. :)

I thought there were supposed to be big accuracy problems with the lasers :dunno:

Fuzzypuppy
08-25-2003, 05:26 PM
San Gabriel and Alhambra police seems to use K sometimes

Really?! Holy crap, that changes my perspective on everything. Every radar warning I've gotten in California has been Ka to date. I've taken to ignoring K and X altogether. Bastards.

Manhattan Beach uses laser. They've even replaced their signs to say patrolled by laser instead of patrolled by radar.

Raffi
08-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Out of the 24 speeding tickets I have had in 11 years ...

:wow: :yikes: :rolleyes: :tsk:

Plaz
08-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Out of the 24 speeding tickets I have had in 11 years

In SoCal? I didn't think that could be possible.

Back East, in NJ, for instance, you could probably ring up two dozen tickets easily on a Saturday afternoon drive from Hillside to Clinton on Rt. 78, without ever going over 80mph.

FlyingDutchMan
08-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Really?! Holy crap, that changes my perspective on everything. Every radar warning I've gotten in California has been Ka to date. I've taken to ignoring K and X altogether. Bastards.

Manhattan Beach uses laser. They've even replaced their signs to say patrolled by laser instead of patrolled by radar.

FYI I have confirmed LASD on K and Ka here in Malibu area.

italia550i
08-26-2003, 02:54 PM
I thought there were supposed to be big accuracy problems with the lasers :dunno:

Exactly! That is why they are easier to beat. :thumbup:

scottn2retro
08-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Exactly! That is why they are easier to beat. :thumbup:

This is from memory of reading a report by someone many, many months ago - the report said about laser units that are turned on instantly to get a reading were very inaccurate, but the companies selling them to the police departments were kind of burying that tidbit of important information.

They can be accurate if left on, but then they could be spotted just like radars can.

:dunno: