PDA

View Full Version : Question on BMW Nav

JetBlack330i
08-25-2003, 02:25 AM
Yesterday I took my son to his soccer tournament. It was held in a (relatively new} city park. There was no address on the registration material, just the park's name.
I was able to find it on a map and plot a route to it in my laptop-based GPS system (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30177&). Delorme allows one to click on a point in the map and set that as a destination (no address needed).
It turns out that, even though I already knew the route from looking at the map and driving directions, it was very reassuring to have a real-time moving point on a screen. Without it, I think I would have gotten lost. At the very least, I would have made several U-turns. You see, the park is located in the middle of nowhere, literally. On the map, it looked like it was just off a major highway. In reality, that major highway soon turns into a one lane farm road. I doubt one would have guessed that the city would build a big recreational park in the middle of acres of empty farm fields. I would have thought that I overshot it and would have returned, but looking at the green dot on screen was very conforting. :thumbup:
Question for OEM Nav owners: how do you set a destination without an address? I doubt your map would have this (apparently brand new) city park as a point of attraction.

Terry Kennedy
08-25-2003, 02:33 AM
Question for OEM Nav owners: how do you set a destination without an address? I doubt your map would have this (apparently brand new) city park as a point of attraction.You can put up a cursor on the map and move it to select a destination. But if there aren't any roads there, I don't know if it will generate a route (I never tried it - the closest I came was on the old CD-based NAV when I was navigating outside the region I had installed in the drive - there was a road where I wanted to go, but it wasn't enterable by name).

Our NAVs won't have even moderately-old roads/parks - we get really stale data - the current US DVD is 2002-1. NavTech has much newer data, but it doesn't show up on our DVDs (MapQuest uses the same data and is working from a current set).

JetBlack330i
08-25-2003, 05:44 AM
You can put up a cursor on the map and move it to select a destination. But if there aren't any roads there, I don't know if it will generate a route.
In Delorme, the route goes to the closest point in the closes street, and then a dashed line is drawn from that closest point to the destination point. That's usually good enough.

alee
08-25-2003, 06:43 AM
http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/nav-v18/640x480/DSCN4081.JPG

Like Terry said, you place a set of crosshairs on the destination.

The navigation system will put you as close as possible, and once it's out of road data, it will just say "You have arrived. Your destination is to the (left/right)."