PDA

View Full Version : Problems after jump start on X5...

wojo
08-25-2003, 07:04 AM
Hey guys, i own the '01 X5-3.0 and we went camping this weekend. I let the stereo in my car run a little longer than i should and i couldn't start the car the next morning. Friend of mine help me jumped the car but after that few things aren't the same:

1. the back light that lights up the digital part of the instrument control is out, i still can see a little but not when it's dark.
2. the fuel gauge stays on empty (no reserve light on)
3. the RPM gauge stays on 0 at all times
4. the entire system changed the lanugage to spanish and temperatures are in Celcius (i got Nav and tried going to configuration and changing it back but it my changes are not affecting anything)

the speedometer works fine, the MPG gauge (below RPM gauge), and Temp gauge too.

we came back last night and didnt have time to check the fuses but i will do it today, i just thought i would ask if anybody knows if this is serious or just fried fuse.

worried,
wojo.

The Roadstergal
08-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Are you sure you didn't jump it in reverse (his positive to your negative)?

wojo
08-25-2003, 07:23 AM
Are you sure you didn't jump it in reverse (his positive to your negative)?

i'm 100% positive, i did it myself as i was worried they might do something like that.

mbr129
08-25-2003, 07:27 AM
My old Benz (1990) showed the same symptoms from a fried fuse. I hope that's what it is. Good luck.

TerryY
08-25-2003, 07:59 AM
Perhaps it needs to be rebooted. Disconnect power for an hour and the computers will forget the low voltage condition?

Sean
08-25-2003, 08:49 AM
The battery in my fathers 2002 3.0 X5 was dead both times we went to test drive it (FI Mgrs former demo). Everything went nuts when they jumped it off. A/C didn't work, fuel gauge was on reserve, every light was lit up in the cluster, etc, and etc. Apparently after awhile everything resets. :dunno: They ended up putting a new BMW Battery is his and that was the end to everything.

ta330ci
08-25-2003, 08:57 AM
I had to have BMW Roadside assistance jump start my 330ci a few weeks ago. They jumped it and then told me to turn on the lights and the hazards before we disconnected the wires (something I'd never done before when jumping my older cars). He said the reason for doing this was because he had experienced BMWs in the past having a power surge or short when the jumper cables were removed that fried some of the fuses in the car, so turning on all the lights would help dissapate all the power if there was a surge. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but that's what he told me. Hopefully it's not a serious problem, good luck with it.

wojo
08-25-2003, 04:46 PM
thanks guys for your suggestions :)
i came back home and went through all the fuses but couldn't find the burned one, amazingly after that i put the key in and started the car and everything was back to normal :/ weird...

anyhow, everything is back to normal and i love my car again :)

thanks again.
wojo

AndDown
08-25-2003, 10:12 PM
I had to have BMW Roadside assistance jump start my 330ci a few weeks ago. They jumped it and then told me to turn on the lights and the hazards before we disconnected the wires (something I'd never done before when jumping my older cars). He said the reason for doing this was because he had experienced BMWs in the past having a power surge or short when the jumper cables were removed that fried some of the fuses in the car, so turning on all the lights would help dissapate all the power if there was a surge. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but that's what he told me. Hopefully it's not a serious problem, good luck with it.

The manual for the X5 states to turn on the rear window defroster and set the blower to highest level before disconnecting, to minimize any power surge. The manual for the 325i does not state the same precaution - it's possible the X5 battery has a higher amperage. :dunno:

Tominizer
08-26-2003, 07:43 AM
What real men ever read the manual ?!?!?!?!? :D

ldn
08-26-2003, 07:32 PM
The manual for the X5 states to turn on the rear window defroster and set the blower to highest level before disconnecting, to minimize any power surge. The manual for the 325i does not state the same precaution - it's possible the X5 battery has a higher amperage. :dunno:
Actually, my 2K 323i manual does say that.