PDA

View Full Version : control arm versus tire issue

RChoudry
08-25-2003, 05:50 PM
I've had an annoying vibration through the steering wheel a couple of weeks after the S-03's went on. Tire pressures and GSP9700 dynamic balance were all repeated. There has been some improvement but I still sense something is there. With slightly higher pressures, the vibe is improved.

My question is that the vibration improves a lot after 15-20 minutes of driving, almost disappears. Is it safe to say that the tires (with about 2000 miles) are the culprit or could the control arms and bushings still be suspect. There is no clunking or noises in the front end. I do have the brake induced steering jerk at times.

My resolve is to simply replace the tires. I'd hope it's only that.

Pinecone
08-27-2003, 04:01 AM
If it goes away, it sounds more like tires.

Does it happen all the time, or only after the car has sat for a long time?

The other thing to check, is have the tire place check to make sure the tires are not out of round. It can happen that a tire will be slightly not round every so often.

RChoudry
08-27-2003, 10:07 AM
it's mostly after the car has sat for 24 hours (I'm on call a lot at work).

I thought maybe flat spotting. It doesn't always happen, usually when it's hotter than average outside (mid to upper 80's).

The GSP said the tires are not out of round.

AF
08-27-2003, 07:33 PM
I've noticed a slight vibration from the front end of my car occassionally.

I've had so many different sets of wheels and tires that I have come to the conclusion it is something mechanical in the front end of my car.

I sometimes think it could be flat spotting of the tires but in the end I think one day when I go in for service they will find something that needs to be replaced in my front end. I usually don't notice it . . . if you ever find out what is wrong, please let me know . . .

In your case I doubt it is your tires, it is something in the front end.

I've never posted about it here because it is occassional and I know the dealer will find out what it is when I eventually bring it in for service one day.

RChoudry
08-27-2003, 11:32 PM
I would have to guess it's the control arm bushings then.

Pinecone
08-28-2003, 05:24 AM
Check in wheel and tire forum here on Bimmerfest.

IIRC SO-3s have a problem with deformation from sitting.

The fact that itgoes away after driing suggests to me that it is ot something to do with the control arms. That problem would be consistant over time.