PDA

View Full Version : Any way to disable PDC?

JST
08-26-2003, 07:52 AM
What a useless "feature." The beeping drives me bat****, and the damn thing is too sensitive; it gets apoplectic when there is still like 3 feet between the bumper and the car behind. I'm parallel parking like a 12 year old.

Is there a fuse that can safely be pulled that deactivates JUST the PDC?

Mr. The Edge
08-26-2003, 08:13 AM
I don't believe so :(

Terry Kennedy
08-26-2003, 08:20 AM
What a useless "feature." The beeping drives me bat****, and the damn thing is too sensitive; it gets apoplectic when there is still like 3 feet between the bumper and the car behind. I'm parallel parking like a 12 year old.

Is there a fuse that can safely be pulled that deactivates JUST the PDC?You could probably disconnect the sensor harness from the PDC control unit (or unplug the control unit completely). In this picture (http://www.tmk.com/bmw/6F5S0389-l.jpg) the PDC control unit is the diagonal white box on the right (locations vary; this is in the wagon). I don't know if this will throw a fault code the dealer wll see when they connect the car to the computer on your next service - you might find that they've re-connected it for you.

ayn
08-26-2003, 08:27 AM
I'm sure the dealer could deactivate it for you, unless it has something to do with your SMG (is it an SMG?)... i really like mine, i just ignore it until it beeps real fast or becomes a solid beep... haha...

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-26-2003, 08:59 AM
I wish I could get PDC that used ONLY the visual indicators like you get in a Benz. There should be NO beeping whatsoever, and I'll gladly do without it to avoid beeping.

Have you looked at your fuse list, Josh?

JST
08-26-2003, 09:16 AM
I wish I could get PDC that used ONLY the visual indicators like you get in a Benz. There should be NO beeping whatsoever, and I'll gladly do without it to avoid beeping.

Have you looked at your fuse list, Josh?

Not yet. I admit to not having RTFM on this one. I thought I'd ask here first.

TerryY
08-26-2003, 09:39 AM
Could you replace the beeper with leds somewhere you can see them?

Would then flash rather than beep.

I am a Non PDC owner so I am just jealous of toys I don't have.

The HACK
08-26-2003, 09:48 AM

Is there a fuse that can safely be pulled that deactivates JUST the PDC?

Fuse # 24.

tgravo2
08-26-2003, 10:14 AM
I think PDC is very usefull, especially on SUV's. I wish I had it.

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-26-2003, 12:04 PM
I believe there is a toggle switch for the PDC. I am positive about this, cos my dad's 2001 E38 has one.

edit: just checked the ETK. the part number is 61.31.8.352.253. This switch goes into that console where HK switch, DSC swithc is located. Good luck!

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-26-2003, 12:10 PM
I believe there is a toggle switch for the PDC. I am positive about this, cos my dad's 2001 E38 has one.

edit: just checked the ETK. the part number is 61.31.8.352.253. This switch goes into that console where HK switch, DSC swithc is located. Good luck!
Toggles just don't cut it for a system that beeps at you.

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-26-2003, 12:11 PM
Hrm...not getting it. So you saying the toggle switch won't work?

Toggles just don't cut it for a system that beeps at you.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Hrm...not getting it. So you saying the toggle switch won't work?
Nope. Just that things that beep are even more annoying than things that automatically stall the car for you.

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Nick, you're really losing me here. :p

Doesn't the toggle switch activate/deactivate the PDC? What has it got to do with automatically stalling the car? :dunno: I have seen how it works in an E38.

Nope. Just that things that beep are even more annoying than things that automatically stall the car for you.

JST
08-26-2003, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the help. That's probably more elaborate than I need; I may just yank the fuse.

BTW, Vince, you recognize my avatar? I figured that if anyone on the board would, it would be you.

Raffi
08-26-2003, 01:01 PM
You could also disconnect the speaker, though that's probably the same speaker used for other warnings.

tommyd
08-26-2003, 01:54 PM
PDC was so annoying in the beginning... but i have to say i've grown accustomed to it... the ultimate tool for the lazy driver... and actually quite useful in that respect.

The only problem i have is when it goes off as i back into one of the tall grass reeds growing out of the cracks in my driveway... :rofl:

Kaz
08-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Honda accessory PDC has a switch... but it goes into the D pillar in the back of the van/SUV. Makes no sense to me... :dunno:

BTW if anyone wants one for their Odyssey/Pilot, I'm putting one up on eBay.

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-26-2003, 02:25 PM
No prob.

Yes sir, of course I recognize the avatar! ;) I have a T-shift with that, a poster in my living room and I am collecting 9 UK pressed of the 12" single as well to put on the wall as a decorative piece. So far I have 4 mint copies. The remixed 12" features several leaves falling down in different colors. Have you seen that? You can't go wrong with Peter Saville. If you have see 24 Hr Party People, there is one on the wall in the Factory office as well.

"They're afraid of what they see..."

Thanks for the help. That's probably more elaborate than I need; I may just yank the fuse.

BTW, Vince, you recognize my avatar? I figured that if anyone on the board would, it would be you.

Mr Paddle.Shift
08-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Dooood! That guy needs to listen to music!! :p

wait..PDC has its own speaker?

You could also disconnect the speaker, though that's probably the same speaker used for other warnings.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Nick, you're really losing me here. :p

Doesn't the toggle switch activate/deactivate the PDC? What has it got to do with automatically stalling the car? :dunno: I have seen how it works in an E38.
DSC will stall the car in the snow under surprisingly common conditions. :p But it still doesn't beep.

Kaz
08-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Dooood! That guy needs to listen to music!! :p

wait..PDC has its own speaker?

Now that you mention it, I somehow recall there being a separate speaker for the PDC retro kit...

Raffi
08-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Now that you mention it, I somehow recall there being a separate speaker for the PDC retro kit...

:clap: Did I have a good idea? :D

Pinecone
08-27-2003, 02:58 AM
Don't use reverse, then no beep. :)

AFAIK PDC uses one of the Kombi beepers, so you would have to take the instrument cluster apart to disconnect it.

I know it is a personal thing, but I don't mind it. I may have saved one bumper scratch having it.