PDA

View Full Version : Do BMW owners wash car more than other car owners?

BmW4EveR330ci
08-26-2003, 01:34 PM
I just want to get an idea on how often do all you BMW owners wash your car AND do you feel that you might NOT be doing it as much if it wasn't a bimmer but a Lexus, Honda, or a Toyota maybe.

I want a nice new shiney look from my car and tend to wash it once a week rain or shine. I feel that I might be over doing it as it seems like I am the ONLY car owner on my whole street block that does this so frequently. I guess I should not care about what my neighbors might think but I feel that they might think I am overly obsessed with keeping my car clean eventhough it does look somewhat clean already.

My neighbors around me also have pretty nice cars like a Lexus, Infiniti, Acura MDX, Hondas, but I am the only BMW owner on the block. I just don't see them fussing over their car as much as me.

Any thoughts on this or what NEIGHBORS thought?
:yikes:

The HACK
08-26-2003, 01:37 PM
I've washed my car twice a month regardless of what it was/is. My dad's Maxima, my old '90 Integra, my Z3 and my 323ci.

The only exception was for a while with the Z3, when I lived in an apartment in West L.A. I couldn't wash it as often, so I only washed it when I went home to visit my folks. :dunno:

I have a neighbor who washes his G35 twice a week. :dunno: :dunno:

mbr129
08-26-2003, 01:49 PM
I wash both my black Benz and my 330i once every couple of weeks. Wheels once a week. Once a month I do the interior. Once every two months I wax. Twice a year I do complete clay/polish/wax.

tgravo2
08-26-2003, 02:41 PM
I've always kept up all of my vehicles, 2 trucks, SUV, and this car

The Roadstergal
08-26-2003, 02:54 PM
I keep my BMW and my Miata equally clean.

Edit - I think the Miata's a little cleaner.

suzer
08-26-2003, 03:04 PM
I keep my X5 much cleaner than I kept my 4Runner.

Just yesterday I was noticing that I never cleaned my wheels on my 4Runner (not in 8 years), but if I don't clean them on the X5 it drives me crazy.

I think our neighbors think we spend too much time on our cars. We clean them once a week, usually Saturday morning or Sunday evening. We are usually the only ones washing our cars. We have a very good time doing it - drinking coffee or beer (depending on the time of day), laughing and chasing each other with the water and whatnot.

I think they spend too much time watering their yards and edging their lawns. We water and mow, but not with the exacting precision that our neighbors have.

Everybody's got their hobby.

car_for_mom
08-27-2003, 01:53 AM
My next door neighbor, who has a Mitsubishi Galant (I thought it was a Diamante), washes his car every other day :yikes:

I wash Karl Bimmer weekly; that's about my limit of tolerance for brake dust :p Ah, he looks soooo nice after I'm done, with his little TopasBlau self!

I'm over the dings (not that bad), swirls (oh, well), door hits (in the future, Lord willing, I'm only parking next to other Bimmers! :rolleyes: ); I just can't stress too much over those things anymore!

HaqDeluxe
08-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Well, I like to keep all my Bimmers..... Wait a minute....

I'll get back to you on this..

I got to go wash my car! :thumbup:

julz
04-12-2005, 01:06 PM
I just want to get an idea on how often do all you BMW owners wash your car AND do you feel that you might NOT be doing it as much if it wasn't a bimmer but a Lexus, Honda, or a Toyota maybe.

I want a nice new shiney look from my car and tend to wash it once a week rain or shine. I feel that I might be over doing it as it seems like I am the ONLY car owner on my whole street block that does this so frequently. I guess I should not care about what my neighbors might think but I feel that they might think I am overly obsessed with keeping my car clean eventhough it does look somewhat clean already.

My neighbors around me also have pretty nice cars like a Lexus, Infiniti, Acura MDX, Hondas, but I am the only BMW owner on the block. I just don't see them fussing over their car as much as me.

Any thoughts on this or what NEIGHBORS thought?
:yikes:
I don't think it's completely the car. I think it's alot to do with the person. I believe it's pride of ownership first. I've had a lot of beautiful cars and a couple of embarassments. I treated them all the same. I clean them all with care and pride because if someone sees my car I want them to know that I take the time take good care of it. I think it says alot about a person.

Secondly, well ..a BMW does give alot of pleasure to "pride of ownership." I wash mine if its dirty, could be once a month or 5 times a month. The amount of time I spend cleaning does raise neighbors eyebrows. And yes Mr. "ArtSlinger" it is "just a 92". Maybe I should just haul it to the dump eh?

I spend a total of 2 hours washing, drying and detailing my car each time. I'm sure my neighbors don't give a hoot about their cars and it shows.

ezsce46
04-12-2005, 01:36 PM
As you progress thru the bmw ownership experience, frequency of wash diminishes. And of all the cars you mentioned only maybe the G35s come close to bmw's brake dust generating prowess. So in fact you're not really "washing" cars more often per se, then cleaning your wheels. Which I do every other day....this is after 4 yrs.... :eeps:

Wallenrod
04-12-2005, 02:03 PM
I still haven't wash my car since I took delivery (well redelivery since it was an ED) last year. That's why I ordered silver grey!

Sab
04-12-2005, 02:35 PM
I paid for 6 months of unlimited (hand) car washes. I end up going once or twice a week. I live in a condo in the city so I miss having a driveway to give the ultimate driving machine the ultimate car wash.

MMME30W
04-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I washed my 1985 Honda Civic as much as my Bimmer. About every 2-3 weeks, average...?

Matthew330Ci
04-12-2005, 05:48 PM
I hate washing cars with a passion so I naturally wash it as least often as possible. and when i do wash cars, i'm such a perfectionist it takes me 2+ hours to do a regular outside only wash, i guess that's another reason i hate washing cars...

my last car (civic si) was black so it would get dirty real quick so i think i washed it more often than the bimmer.

jaydoc1
04-12-2005, 06:41 PM
My personal record is 3 times in one day. I washed it early in the morning then a truck threw up a bunch of dust on me. Rewashed it. Then something in that particular car wash dripped white mineral deposits all over it. Rewashed it.

JonathanIT
04-12-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't think it's completely the car. I think it's alot to do with the person. I believe it's pride of ownership first. I've had a lot of beautiful cars and a couple of embarassments. I treated them all the same. I clean them all with care and pride because if someone sees my car I want them to know that I take the time take good care of it. I think it says alot about a person.

Secondly, well ..a BMW does give alot of pleasure to "pride of ownership." I wash mine if its dirty, could be once a month or 5 times a month. The amount of time I spend cleaning does raise neighbors eyebrows. And yes Mr. "ArtSlinger" it is "just a 92". Maybe I should just haul it to the dump eh?

I spend a total of 2 hours washing, drying and detailing my car each time. I'm sure my neighbors don't give a hoot about their cars and it shows.
Was it really neccessary to resurrect this 1 1/2+ year old thread when there's already a "how often do you wash your car" thread like right below?? :dunno:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94011

--J.

icemanjs4
04-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Well since the thread is going, has anyone noticed that the interior of the BMW tends to stay pretty dust-free? My altima was like a dust magnet -and the black dash usually looked white. I've had my BMW for 2 or 3 weeks now and I've hardly noticed a spec of dust on the inside, except maybe on the NAV screen. Is it the air filter that does this? Or is the dash covered in some sort of anti-static vinyl?

epbrown
04-12-2005, 10:10 PM
I'd say a combination of both. I've found I collect less dust if I keep the leather conditioned, and I'm sure the microfilter helps as well.,

Emanuel

Artslinger
04-13-2005, 04:53 AM
I wash my car when its dirty.

Tanning machine
04-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Well since the thread is going, has anyone noticed that the interior of the BMW tends to stay pretty dust-free?

Not if it's a convertible it doesn't.

BTW, I would guess the frequency of washing depends much more on the owner than on the make of car. For every fastidious BMW owner, you could probably find a guy who's so keen on his 1985 Toyota that he, too, washes it 3 times a week. Either you take pride in keeping your car clean, or you worry about other things more.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-13-2005, 06:52 AM
I need to wash my M3. It's more brown than blue right now...

Patrick
04-13-2005, 06:56 AM
We should have had a "post pics of your dirty BMW" this past winter. :eek:

Tanning machine
04-13-2005, 07:09 AM
I need to wash my M3. It's more brown than blue right now...

Could have been another one, but I saw a really dirty blue M3 on Loughboro/Nebraska in DC this past Sunday. So, either you're not alone . . . or you have a really dirty M3!

:D

bobby13
04-16-2005, 12:35 PM
I wash my E 60 once a week, or so. It's black and looks much better clean. Also, I can't stand dirty wheels. I guess I'd do the same thing no matter what kind of car I owned.

Bruce128iC
04-16-2005, 01:00 PM
I get my car washed once every six weeks whether it needs it or not. :thumbup:

Bobby 325i
04-16-2005, 01:14 PM
I wash my cars on a weekly basis. In the summer time I wash every 4 days. In the winter months I wash once every two to three weeks with frequent hose downs between washes. No matter my BMW's or my G35coupe I always kept my cars clean!

julz
04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Was it really neccessary to resurrect this 1 1/2+ year old thread when there's already a "how often do you wash your car" thread like right below?? :dunno:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94011

--J.Was it really neccessary to comment on my resurrection? I'm getting really sick of people's negative comments on this forum. Keep it to yourself or get some help. I didn't realize I had to go by Jonathans rules...what are they anyway?

JonathanIT
04-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Was it really neccessary to comment on my resurrection? I'm getting really sick of people's negative comments on this forum. Keep it to yourself or get some help. I didn't realize I had to go by Jonathans rules...what are they anyway?
Dude, relax... it was just a question. At the time this thread was resurrected, the most popular thread in the forum was on the same subject and still going strong. I was just wondering why this one was brought back as well.

--J.

julz
04-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Dude, relax... it was just a question. At the time this thread was resurrected, the most popular thread in the forum was on the same subject and still going strong. I was just wondering why this one was brought back as well.

--J."Dude is a Lady" thank you.
It's hard to relax when it seems like everytime I post anything I get jumped on. It may seem harmless to you when you write it..but maybe if you read what you've written back to yourself and see if it sounds like "just a question." If you are just posting a question directed at me doing something that you thought was wrong...then say that...don't add sarcasm. I guess this forum is way more complicated than that. I use this forum for enjoyment and relaxation, but to get waylayed each time I express an opinion is not enjoyable, it's annoying. Yes I am sensitive to remarks..I believe there is a kinder way to communicate..especially in posts and emails. Directions in print don't have facial expressions and intonations so what you may be writing could be completely harmless in your mind but condescending to the intended. Constructive criticism all the way around. truce for now.