PDA

View Full Version : Post wax question


Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 10:03 AM
Wax with Blitz last Thursday. Results were great, shine, reflection, etc:thumb:

Just noticed while out for lunch that the front bumper strip has signs of wax residue (white spots recessed in the black plastic).:cry: There were no sign of this until today, which is folowing 2 days of good rain.

My questions are:

1. Why didn't this show up right away (if it is in fact wax)?

2. Does the peanut butter trick really work? Or is there something else I should try to get rid of it?

TIA

Alex Baumann
03-21-2002, 11:03 AM
Phil, the peanut butter does really work. Try it with a towel or use a tootbrush to scrub.

if you have chunky peanut butter, you may want to thin it with some vegetable oil.

That should work. :thumb:

Guest84
03-21-2002, 12:03 PM
I wonder how plain old "Peanut oil" would work, and I wonder if it actually "removes" it or just add's oil to the plastic to just temporarily cover it up?

Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 12:26 PM
Will try it tonight. Best I can figure is that mu buffing towels must have implanted the wax because I was very careful with the applicator pad.

Thanks

Nat Brown
03-21-2002, 02:09 PM
Oh man, another detailing product with tons of new questions....

Creamy or with nuts?
Organic or regular?
Any residue from GMF peanuts?
Will jelly remove my airbag stickets?

:eek: :yikes: :rolleyes: :tsk: :dunno: :( :cry:

--gary

alee
03-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I wonder how plain old "Peanut oil" would work, and I wonder if it actually "removes" it or just add's oil to the plastic to just temporarily cover it up?
I *think* it has to do with the oils breaking up the wax. All I know is I've never had a recurrence after treating areas with peanut butter, so there's probably a bit more science to it.

I suppose you could put carnuba and peanut butter in a bowl and see how one affects the other. :)

awd330
03-21-2002, 03:05 PM
There was a post on the autopia-carport website last week that suggested using a white vinyl pencil eraser to remove wax residue from trim. I tried it a couple days ago, and it worked pretty well.

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=8123

Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by awd330
There was a post on the autopia-carport website last week that suggested using a white vinyl pencil eraser to remove wax residue from trim. I tried it a couple days ago, and it worked pretty well.

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=8123
Thanks I'll get some for insurance:thumb:

Tried the peanut butter seems to have worked:D

Oh Al, my cars cleaner than yours is and my wheels are brake dust free:) And it smells like a Reese's Cup:p After the PB trick washed her down and dried, cleaned rims, but no dressing or Speed Shine got to windy and already working under the "lights".

vexed
03-21-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Thanks I'll get some for insurance:thumb:

Tried the peanut butter seems to have worked:D

Oh Al, my cars cleaner than yours is and my wheels are brake dust free:) And it smells like a Reese's Cup:p After the PB trick washed her down and dried, cleaned rims, but no dressing or Speed Shine got to windy and already working under the "lights".

Make sure you check your tire pressure.:mad:

Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by vexed


Make sure you check your tire pressure.:mad:
http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/doh.gif I knew I forgot something.

Could you help me out please, I'm not sure if I understand this oversteer and understeer stuff:dunno: If when I go into a corner and it feels like it is riding up which is that? I'd really like some help. Thank you http://www.bowlingfans.com/ubb/graemlins/help.gif

vexed
03-21-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/doh.gif I knew I forgot something.

Could you help me out please, I'm not sure if I understand this oversteer and understeer stuff:dunno: If when I go into a corner and it feels like it is riding up which is that? I'd really like some help. Thank you http://www.bowlingfans.com/ubb/graemlins/help.gif

I :dunno: since all I do all day is http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/fruit.gif

Alex Baumann
03-21-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
I'm not sure if I understand this oversteer and understeer stuff:dunno:

Trouble-maker ! :D

Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by vexed


I :dunno: since all I do all day is http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/fruit.gif
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!

:lmao:

Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann


Trouble-maker ! :D
Not me Alex:)

Actually Vexed's comment did make me think about it, and I saw the link Alee put up about adjusting pressure. I've been running 37 all around but have been noticing some push going into sharper turns. So I'm thinking about bumping the rear to ~ 39 and dropping front to ~35. Do you think this will cause noticeable understeer change? (I'm serious about your opinion)

alee
03-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by vexed


I :dunno: since all I do all day is http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/fruit.gif
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Alex Baumann
03-21-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Not me Alex:)

Actually Vexed's comment did make me think about it, and I saw the link Alee put up about adjusting pressure. I've been running 37 all around but have been noticing some push going into sharper turns. So I'm thinking about bumping the rear to ~ 39 and dropping front to ~35. Do you think this will cause noticeable understeer change? (I'm serious about your opinion)

Since you're driving an AWD you shouldn't be having noticable problem. What tire size do you have on your car ?

Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann


Since you're driving an AWD you shouldn't be having noticable problem. What tire size do you have on your car ?
205/50/17

Got those lovely Style 73's to go along with em.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pf84b713397a05bade636f141fb17b901/fe0108e4.jpg

Mike 325xi
03-21-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by vexed


I :dunno: since all I do all day is http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/fruit.gif
ROTFLMAO!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Mike 325xi
03-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I wonder how plain old "Peanut oil" would work, and I wonder if it actually "removes" it or just add's oil to the plastic to just temporarily cover it up?
It's not the oils in the peanut butter, it's the proteins that break the wax down...or so I have been told.

But I am just a thread hijacker and really don't add anything to the board :dunno:

vexed
03-21-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

ROTFLMAO!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I have to admit that after I posted that I went to a meeting and was laughing about it.:thumb:

alee
03-21-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by vexed
I have to admit that after I posted that I went to a meeting and was laughing about it.:thumb:
That's my nominee for post of the year. :thumb:

vexed
03-21-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by alee

That's my nominee for post of the year. :thumb:

Thanks, but after today I'm afraid I won't win any popularity contests:cry: :cry:

ict330xi
03-21-2002, 06:39 PM
There is a product that is used in dental labs called "wax solvent", I will check with a friend and get a MSDS and find out what's in it-might be the detailing wonder we've all been looking for (if it doesnt take the paint right down to the bare metal). For my environmentally friendly friends, peanut butter may be the answer.

Mike 325xi
03-21-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by alee

That's my nominee for post of the year. :thumb:
I have to agree...that was a classic!! :lmao: :lmao:

Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

I have to agree...that was a classic!! :lmao: :lmao:
Agreement from hijacker #4 as well:D

Beats the "Mrs. Phil phone call" by a little, Mike you would have had a chance but you didn't use any sheep smilies:p

Mike 325xi
03-21-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Agreement from hijacker #4 as well:D

Beats the "Mrs. Phil phone call" by a little, Mike you would have had a chance but you didn't use any sheep smilies:p
I would have expected a sheep smilie from the E-town Amish hijacker...I know how you farm boys like those sheep :lmao: But coming from the esteemed counselor from the 50th state made it even funnier!! :lmao:

vexed
03-21-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

I would have expected a sheep smilie from the E-town Amish hijacker...I know how you farm boys like those sheep :lmao: But coming from the esteemed counselor from the 50th state made it even funnier!! :lmao:

I'm a Hijacker and I'm okay......:thumb:

Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

I would have expected a sheep smilie from the E-town Amish hijacker...I know how you farm boys like those sheep :lmao: But coming from the esteemed counselor from the 50th state made it even funnier!! :lmao:
Quit being so baaaahed Mike :confused:

Aren't you going to help me with my question, especially since you have xi too:dunno:

Mike 325xi
03-21-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Quit being so baaaahed Mike :confused:

Aren't you going to help me with my question, especially since you have xi too:dunno:
I run 35 on all 4 corners and have never noticed a problem. When I first picked the car up I felt what seemed to be the tires "rolling over" and when I checked the pressure they were at 32 all around. I brought it up to 35 and haven't had a problem since. :dunno:

Dr. Phil
03-21-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

I run 35 on all 4 corners and have never noticed a problem. When I first picked the car up I felt what seemed to be the tires "rolling over" and when I checked the pressure they were at 32 all around. I brought it up to 35 and haven't had a problem since. :dunno:
Gotcha to answer a real question:thumb: There is hope....:D

Yea I was thinking pressure might be low, will check in the a.m.

Guest84
03-22-2002, 09:55 AM
OMG Vexed, thats almost as good as the "Spunk shooter" smiley in that thread about Britney spears!! :lmao: ;)