PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ignition Coil Replacement - ALL Needed? Really?

garu
08-16-2009, 02:38 PM
My mechanic, besides wanting to charge us way too much for a simple repair says that we need to replace ALL the Ignition Coils rather than identify the coil(s) that is faulty. His rationale: if one or more has gone bad, they are all not far behind. I plan to do this work myself, but do I really need to replace all of them?

1SCK530
08-16-2009, 02:49 PM
I have replace singular Coils in the past. But have always gone back to replace all eventually anyways.... Depending on the mileage that you car has it might be time to change them anyways.
But simple answer is yes you can change one at a time for financial reason or whatever.

bmw_n00b13
08-16-2009, 03:25 PM
You're really better off replacing a set as a set, rather than replacing one, then the next, and two months later another one, et cetera, ad nauseam, until you've done them all and it's six months down the road.

cn90
08-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Per my cousin bmw guru, ignition coil is different than tires. Let's say one tire goes bad, then chances are the other 3 are also bad, so replace all 4.

But ignition coil is different. It may last 60K, 100K or 200K.
Plus when one coil goes bad, you have misfire but it will not leave you stranded. But you will have a check engine light.

So you can replace one ignition coil at a time.
Use only BMW or Bremi brand.

oembimmerparts
08-17-2009, 07:50 AM
In most cases you end up replacing them all in a short period of time.

cn90
08-17-2009, 08:10 AM
In most cases you end up replacing them all in a short period of time.

Haha...Then replace them all if budget allows, and do not throw away the coils that are still good, keep the good used coils in the trunk!

Mark@EAC
08-17-2009, 08:19 AM
I've got good used coils from an I6 e39. PM me if interested. Of course I also carry brand new ones as well.

cn90
08-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Mark,

Since you sell these ignition coils, do you happen to know the average lifespan of these ignition coils?
100K, 140K, 180K, 200K?

Mine is OK, just curious.

dannyc9997
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Ive always replaced mine one at a time, I did one in a Toyota back in january and none have followed since. Id say if you have the money, then sure go ahead and do them all at once. But if not, dont fix what aint broke..:dunno:

cn90
08-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Ive always replaced mine one at a time, I did one in a Toyota back in january and none have followed since. Id say if you have the money, then sure go ahead and do them all at once. But if not, dont fix what aint broke..:dunno:

Good point.

On the other hand, if one is broken, replace it.

Then find a good used coil and keep it in the trunk for long trips just in case. Replacing the coil (in the middle of nowhere) is a piece of cake.

garu
08-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Based on your feedback, I'll replace them all. MANY THANKS!!!!!

One more question. They come with both and without spark plug connectors. Can I just use the connectors on my current coils (2000 5 series wagon)

cn90
08-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Based on your feedback, I'll replace them all. MANY THANKS!!!!!

One more question. They come with both and without spark plug connectors. Can I just use the connectors on my current coils (2000 5 series wagon)

By the time the coil is bad, the BOOT is probably cracked.
The BOOT is about $6 each.
Do them all coils + boots.

garu
08-18-2009, 02:58 AM
It looks like the spark plug connectors alone are $26 each additional (source: pelican parts). That's a lot - 156 more if I really don't need them. Does anyone else have experience with this issue?

cn90
08-18-2009, 06:20 AM
It looks like the spark plug connectors alone are $26 each additional (source: pelican parts). That's a lot - 156 more if I really don't need them. Does anyone else have experience with this issue?

No! BREMI Spark Plug Connector is $6/each:
http://www.eactuning.com/parts/product_details/12139067831

oembimmerparts
08-18-2009, 06:32 AM

Here is our kit form with plugs
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/catalog/item/4168850/4825786.htm

Here are the coils alone.
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/catalog/item/4168850/4086414.htm

And the Plug Connectors
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/catalog/item/4168850/4086416.htm

All assuming your car was built before 08/2002

poolman
08-18-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm not sure at what date this happened--but BMW recalled a lot of the Bremi coils--they were recalled and replaced with Bosh on my car---Strange the Bremi coils were replaced about a month after I bought her new--they broke down--then about 40k miles later--when getting a free oil change--they informed me that while there--they replaced the coils with new Bosch units at no charge--this was for an 03 model--this might also fit some 02 models as well.
Anyone have the connectors for the Bosch coil--or is it the same as the Bremi--they sure look diff from the pic's posted--car now has about 110 miles on the latest change of coils--still in use

Mack
08-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Would you replace 1 spark plug at a time? Hey is anyone here using the high performance coils?? Those things are pricey but I'm wondering if they are worth it?

cn90
08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Would you replace 1 spark plug at a time?

I agree to disagree...:)

Spark plugs and tires kind of wear equally, so all 4 tires and all 6 spark plugs should be replaced at the same time.

Ignition coil can fail any time, while I agree that when one coil goes bad, all 6 should be done, but cost is an issue. Plus ignition is kind of like headlight bulb: when one bulb goes out, you don't necessarily have to replace the opposite HL bulb, although that may not be far behind.

There is right or wrong.

No budget: replace only the bad coil.
If you are rich: replace all 6....sweet and simple!

Mack
08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Nobody that owns a bimmer replaces 1 bulb at a time. I see your point however we'll continue to disagree. Though I think most will agree all should be changed if at all possible.

cn90
08-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Nobody that owns a bimmer replaces 1 bulb at a time.

Well, when one Headlight bulb goes out, I only replace that bulb and that is it.

Do you replace all of your kitchen ceiling bulbs when only one bulb goes out?

Mack
08-18-2009, 12:50 PM
That's a ridiculous comparison. No two bulbs are ever alike. If you only replace one at a time in your car I guarantee you it is noticeable. Some folks don't care about little things like that but I do and I would suspect most on this board do. And most decent headlight bulbs are sold in two's because of it.

detox8907
08-18-2009, 01:31 PM
i would just change the one that is bad. again with the comparisons.... electrical parts should be changed when they go bad. like most on here do not change all four wheel speed sensors at the same time even though they will go out. why? because some last more than others. but things like spark plugs and tires should be changed together because they wear the same or more closely. but the coil just sends the spark so if its not broken dont fix it. but if you have the money sure do all of them that way you dont have to worry about it later.

1SCK530
08-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I think we all agree that All SHOULD be replaced. But if NECESSARY one at a time is possible.

Philboski
08-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I think we all agree that All SHOULD be replaced. But if NECESSARY one at a time is possible.

I disagree with that. One bad coil out of X coils getting replaced is fairly common. otherwise, this would be a fairly common maintenance procedure. As for the boots, I would treat those like plug wires -- do the set.

That said, I have always heard that one replaces headlights in pairs as basic practice.

detox8907
08-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I disagree with that. One bad coil out of X coils getting replaced is fairly common. otherwise, this would be a fairly common maintenance procedure. As for the boots, I would treat those like plug wires -- do the set.

That said, I have always heard that one replaces headlights in pairs as basic practice.

true. the boots wear out and crack while the coil is still good. thats from my experience though.

occhis
08-19-2009, 06:46 PM

If one reads the previous 22 posts, I'm not sure how one could possibly arrive at this conclusion.

Darkflame808
08-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Base the repair on the labor involved. If a spark plug fails, you unscrew it and replace it, If they are cheap and they are, replace all at one time.

If spark plugs were 50$ a pop then i'd replace one, and replace the other when needed, not because it was 50$ but more so because it was so easy to do so.

If you're gonna tear down an engine just to replace a head gasket, use the the while you're in there to inspect other aspects of the engine. You don't want to spend 500$ to tear an engine apart to replace a 80$ gasket and ignore then 10$ spring that may fail in the next few months only to drop another 500$ when that time comes too. Just spend the 10$ now and not have to worry about a 500$ tear down later.

Relatively speaking of course.