PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires Question: Northern New England

birdmanvt
08-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Can someone recommend the best winter tires for a 325i? I don't need to travel in severe winter weather. Can I get by with rear tires only? Price is also a consideration. Thanks.

gojira-san
08-21-2009, 07:41 AM
I used Blizzak snows on my 528iT. I drove all over upstate NH, VT, NY, Canada, etc with no problems. I've also used the REVO 1's on the 330 and they work well also. I suggest getting all 4 wheels, as it helps with stopping in snow. I'd also get a second set of wheels to mount them, so you can just change them yourself. I was lucky with the 330 and found the exact same set of wheels used, so it worked out well.

ronkh
08-21-2009, 11:37 AM
You need 4, not just the rears.

E36Shikara
08-21-2009, 12:11 PM
If you avoid driving in the snow completely - you'll be fine with all seasons all around... if you do some driving in the slushy roads and maybe some roads that have two to 3 inches of snow, then you could consider doing 2 winter tires and 2 all seasons... (thinner the better)

I used to run Blizzaks in the front and BFGoodrich Traction T/A on the rear with 2 50 lb sand bangs for winter.. AND I never got stuck anywhere!!!

Now that I am older, wiser, and have the wherewithal to pay for safety, I wouldn't settle for anyless than 4 snows on the car and one snow tire on the spare when I drive in the winter...For piece of mind of course!

Viking328
08-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Everyone has mentioned one of the best tires, but it is also the most expensive if buying new.

#1 - buy used on the forums or CL here in New England. You will save hundreds of $$$s. You can usually find great deals with them on rims already. Remember only 3 series wheels fit on 3 series. Don't buy 5,6,7 series rims with a different offset.

#2 - any snow tire is 10x better than an all-season tire in snow, slush, cold stopping, etc. The rubber is made different to be more flexible in cold conditions (thus, why it wears out so fast when used too long into the Spring/Summer on hot pavement) Be wary of used snows worn down to 4-6/32" as their "special" winter rubber is usually worn off and is now just an all-season rubber base compound. Winters start at 12-14/32" or so compared to 10/32" on A/S, so they have more depth to bite into deep snow.

#3 - drive carefully, and realize that snows are more deeply siped/cut so they "squirm" and react more lazily. Unless you get a performance snow with an H or V speed rating. (that's what I did, b/c I couldn't drive on an hour long commute with the constantly smooshy Q, S or T rated ones) I bought some used Nokians (one of the BEST) and two new Semperit Sport Grips for $70 each all H rated and it's perfect.

#4 - E36Shikara hit on this: get the thinnest size you can. 205/55R16 with your stock rims or 195/60R15 - 195/65R15 - 185/65R15 if you get some used rims from a 323 or an E36.

PM me with any more questions (I worked at Town Fair Tire for three years, and run 4 snows on all my cars)

d geek
08-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Nokian WRG2 is a great tire for mixed winter road conditions. They are not cheap, but generally the dealers can move a bit on the price. go to Nokian website for the dealer locator. Tiresbyweb.com also sells them and has "free" shipping.

E36Shikara
08-22-2009, 12:48 PM
TireRack is having a closeout sale on Blizzaks (LM-22) I just picked up 4 17 inch tires for the car at $65 a piece --- Thats a $400+ savings!

check it out!

Maverick62
08-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Goodyear ultra-grips work great had then on a740il and fine .P235/60/16 cost $159 ea