PDA

View Full Version : Bmw Driving School

hynt20
08-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Hello, does anyone have any thoughts on BMW driving schools, I calles the BMW school number, and discovered that they had classes for the 3, Z4 and for M.

I have a 540. Which would be the best class (if any), for me to attend ?

Mathew
08-28-2003, 04:40 PM
I went to one, the Advanced Car Control Clinic. Picking which class is best for you really depends on what you want and how your driving style is. I feel the Advanced Car Control Clinic is good for anyone who wants to learn the basics. If you are a more spirited driver and want to hone your DE skills, then I would suggest an M school. I got the impression that the Z4 school was very similar to the Car Control class, but you just get to go around in a little roadster.

Jeff_DML
08-28-2003, 04:57 PM
what kind of driving do you want to do? If you want to learn to drive properly on a race track you should join BMWCAA and attend your local clubs track events.

SteveT
08-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Whether you want to drive properly on a race track or not, M-School can give you two intensive days with about 2.5 students per instructor to learn high performance driving techniques in BMW's. I just competed M-School in late July and had a great time...learned a lot. Here's the link to my description of the class.

M-School Link (http://216.7.191.102/forums/showthread.php?t=37021)

All the classes given at the Performance Center are excellent. I've taken the single day Car Control Clinic (all the two day were filled) and now M-School. M-School does not start with the basics that the car control clinics do, but you don't need to have taken a CCC first. The facilities at the PC are excellent. the instructors very well qualified and you get to drive the entire event in the latest BMW's. What more can you ask?

hynt20
08-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Whether you want to drive properly on a race track or not, M-School can give you two intensive days with about 2.5 students per instructor to learn high performance driving techniques in BMW's. I just competed M-School in late July and had a great time...learned a lot. Here's the link to my description of the class.

M-School Link (http://216.7.191.102/forums/showthread.php?t=37021)

All the classes given at the Performance Center are excellent. I've taken the single day Car Control Clinic (all the two day were filled) and now M-School. M-School does not start with the basics that the car control clinics do, but you don't need to have taken a CCC first. The facilities at the PC are excellent. the instructors very well qualified and you get to drive the entire event in the latest BMW's. What more can you ask?

great thanks for the feedback... I did join the BMWCAA so I will also look at what is going on locally too. I am very tempted to treat myself to the M-school.............. :yikes:

arizos
08-28-2003, 10:02 PM
I took the Z4 Car Control Clinic under the Precision Driving Experience program of BMW (that goes around in various metro areas). From what we were told, a lot of things are similar with the performance center schools.

I wholeheartedly recommend it ! For my level (relatively limited spirited driving experience: a 2-day driving school at Skip Barber and one AutoX) the scope was excellent: the slalom, hourglass skidpad and the (fast !) track runs were great. I liked it more than the Skip Barber school, although it was just 1-day.

And the cars were top-spec'd Z4s: 3.0 with the sport package (the 3-series school was also on 330i's with SP, but I wanted the Z4 one since I had never driven this car).

Have fun !
ADR

tejenkins
08-29-2003, 03:21 PM
I went to the M-school in April and Steve's account of it is right on target. I found the instructors to be great individuals as well as superb teachers. Our "host" for the school was Martin of 5-series and X series fame.

One of the best parts of the school is the way the instructors tailor their comments and approach to each individual. I went in never having driven a performance car, while others went with significant experience. The instructors, gave relevant/on target coaching to allow each student to progress -- and everyone came out of the experience with new skills and abilities.

I'd go back in an instant.

Hallatauer
08-29-2003, 04:26 PM
I took the Z4 Car Control Clinic under the Precision Driving Experience program of BMW (that goes around in various metro areas). From what we were told, a lot of things are similar with the performance center schools.

Where would one find a listing or schedule for the "on the road" car clinic. Searched around but couldn't find anything.

Thanks, Dan

woohoo
08-29-2003, 07:01 PM
Where would one find a listing or schedule for the "on the road" car clinic. Searched around but couldn't find anything.

Thanks, Dan

Go to bmwusa.com --> New and Events --> Precision Driving Experience

There is a number you need to call to reserve/pay for a spot.

SteveT
08-29-2003, 07:35 PM
BMW has had a driver training program in Europe for many years and has an infrastructure of instructors and gives training for them too. BMW NA sends various members of their training team to Europe to be exposed to the BMW corporate approach to driver training. At dinner they showed us some video of their last trip and talked about the guys going over later this year. They are serious about what they call the "BMW Culture" of driving school. I've been to other local schools (given by the CCA) and they are good, but they aren't going to be as professional as what is done at the Performance Center. Driving on a track is one thing, but the exercises done during the trainings at the PC expose you to particular skills and give you the opportunity to concentrate on them. Whether it's the skid pad or the flooded track there is a purpose in mind. M-School sometimes includes a visit by one of the PTG SWC drivers. They were between Sonoma and Road America during our class so we didn't get one of them.