PDA

View Full Version : Need some tips to get BMW to cough up a (belated) steering retrofit for my 01 325i...

bmw325
12-27-2001, 11:58 PM
I know this is old news and was discussed endlessly at .org. I've had my car for 6 months now and have tried to put up w/ the steering. It was built in late May, so it supposedly had the new new steering which was supposed to be heavier. I recently had a 99 323 loaner, and was reminded of how floaty and light my car is. So, i've finally decided that I can no longer tolerate my steering the way it is-- its just something that always bugs me.

Now, I know that BMW's current position is that they only do the retrofit for 330s-- but I remember that some people here used some good pressure tactics to get BMWNA to give them their retrofit. Can anyone recommend some good tactics? I know that I'm at the mercy of BMW's good will, so I don't want to piss anyone off too soon. I've contacted Bill Stuart (who is currently handling the sticky pedal situation), and he going to get back to me. But I'm pretty certain that the news won't be good- so I want to be prepared. Anyone have the part numbers for the 325i and 330 racks-- both new and new new-- that might help me prove the case that the 325 has the same flawed steering as the 330. Even better would be 2002 steering w/ the quicker ratio-- but I won't push my luck too far.

Jason 325i Step
12-28-2001, 12:06 AM
If your dealership is a good one they wont blow you off after they've sold you the car. They should listen to you and work things out...

bmw325
12-28-2001, 12:19 AM
The retrofit was a special program offered by BMWNA to customers w/ 01 3 series who though that their steering was too light. Its currently in kind of a shadow mode-- BMW is very secretive about it. I think word spread quickly and they ended up doing more retrofits than they planned. I'm betting that a lot of people heard about the retrofit, thought that their car had a "steering problem" and insisted that BMW give them the heavier steering even though they couldn't even tell the difference. Now, I think you have to get through multiple levels of screening before they'll give it you (i.e., "it doens't exist", "It existed, but we no longer offer it", "it exists, but only for early production 330s," "Yeah, ok, you're car has light steering and we'll replace the it" I'm just trying to gather so good techniques to prepare for this "screening" process w/ BMWNA.

I actually casually asked my service rep about it. He was aware of it and knew of customers having it done- but I could tell he didn't want to discuss it-- he just kept saying "you have to call BMW and discuss it w/ them"

bimmerguy
12-28-2001, 08:25 AM
I just drove an 01 325 with the over boosted steering..... Its insane you can't compare it to my 00. It's a service loaner and I just could not believe it. Now I understand why everyone was freakin out and getting the retrofit! Sad times for Bmw, seem to have lost their way. Guess they forgot they made their name with legendary handling and road feel.:confused:

I would talk to your sales person about it, if they are cool. Then call Bmwna and keep going up chain of command until it they swap it out for you.

Good Luck

hts
12-28-2001, 02:24 PM
Explain your situation to him, and tell him that I referred you. Chuck's a real good guy and besides, he owes me a favor. If there's anyway to get it done, Chuck will find it for you.

Good luck,

hts

bmw325
12-28-2001, 02:42 PM
Did you get your car retro'd?

hts
12-28-2001, 02:48 PM
picked it up in Munich as part of my ED (the difference was enormous!)

bmw325
12-28-2001, 09:11 PM
I did ED shortly after you did-- June 26. Did they do the retrofit at the VPC or did your dealer do it? Have you had any problems like steering vibration or vibration when braking?
thanks.