PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a CB radio (maybe for avoiding cops)?

JonW
08-29-2003, 06:44 AM
I just finished reading a book called "A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets." Some people on the board here recommended it. It's a pretty goofy book and I'm not sure it was worth the time to read. In addition to a radar detector (which I already have), the author suggested getting a CB radio to listen to the chatter from the cops in the area and you'll know where they have speed traps. Ummm, OK. But I wonder if it would be an amusing thing to have along on long roadtrips. Something to listen to and pass the hours by. Like most BMW drivers, I couldn't imagine mounting an antenna on my car (or even a bumper sticker, for goodness sake! :p ). But I was just curious if I were to spend $50 or $100 on a cheap CB radio toy it might provide some amusement while taking those long trips. And maybe help avoid a speed trap.

Although I did grow up in the 70's, I managed to escape the CB craze of the time. Unfortunately, I was unable to avoid corduroys and bell bottoms. :bigpimp: Thanks Mom and Dad. ;)

ronrich
08-29-2003, 07:04 AM
We had a CB growing up. We had a big long whip antenna on the back of the olds.... :D I don't know about listening to cops but the truckers will give you some headsup to where the traps are.

MikeW
08-29-2003, 07:15 AM
I think that still works. The truckers still use them, and keep an eye out.

We had a CB growing up. We had a big long whip antenna on the back of the olds.... :D I don't know about listening to cops but the truckers will give you some headsup to where the traps are.

teamdfl
08-29-2003, 07:17 AM
I used to use a hand held walkie-talkie style CB from Radio Shack on long car trips with good results. When a few buddies and I went Myrtle Beach, SC from NJ in 3 separate cars, I even bought a magnetic base antenna for the trunklid of the Acura I was driving to increase my range a bit. We had significantly more range that family band (i.e. Motorola Talkabout) radios and got the occasional state police revenue trap warning by listening to the truckers.

Ed

johnlew
08-29-2003, 07:20 AM
Uh, breaker 1-9, we got a mounty at exit 128. Watch yer back door. Roger. :rofl: Those were the days. Fun talking with the truckers.

PABS
08-29-2003, 12:37 PM
hey what's your 20 good buddy...watch them double nickels :rofl:

Cowboy Bebop
08-29-2003, 12:55 PM
:rofl: good numbers to ya, we down we gone we bye bye.

The Roadstergal
08-29-2003, 02:29 PM
Truckers can be very helpful. :thumbup: We had one when I was younger.

Pinecone
09-01-2003, 03:44 PM
To clarify, the police may monitor CB in some areas to allow them to respond to calls for help, they do NOT normally talk on them.

Although in the old days a few were known to give false "All Clear" reports to lure people into a speed trap.

What you want to monitor the police is a scanner. And nowdays you need a pretty good one as many police departments are using 800 MHz turnked systems. WHich are like cell phones in that they work over a number of frequencies and hop around.

You need a scanner that can follow the skipping.

There have been some threads on listening systems.

tgravo2
09-01-2003, 04:27 PM
I just think it would be ugly in the car, but would work :D

The Roadstergal
09-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Truckers can be very helpful. :thumbup: We had one when I was younger.

We had a CB radio, not a trucker. :banghead:

joema
09-01-2003, 05:58 PM
The newer UHF FM FRS radios were intended to replace traditional CB (which is AM or SSB). From a technology standpoint they're far superior, but I don't know if truckers use them. I think the FRS design precludes adding an amplifier or external antenna (which was the FCC's intent) -- there's no external antenna connection.

For more info see http://www.frsradios.com/ or do a Google Search on "frs radios".

Besides 2-way radios your best bet is probably a mobile police scanner.

Uniden used to make one shaped like a radar detector called the BCT-10. You could probably find one somewhere:

http://www.strongsignals.net/access/content/rr_bct-10.html

Here's a scanner with similar functionality:

http://www.uniden.com/productpop/00_productpop.cfm?prd_code=BCT7

Chaaaosss
09-01-2003, 11:17 PM
We had a CB radio, not a trucker. :banghead:

Dammit. I was just going to post something about having to feed them.

JonW
09-02-2003, 07:31 AM
To clarify, the police may monitor CB in some areas to allow them to respond to calls for help, they do NOT normally talk on them.

Although in the old days a few were known to give false "All Clear" reports to lure people into a speed trap.

What you want to monitor the police is a scanner. And nowdays you need a pretty good one as many police departments are using 800 MHz turnked systems. WHich are like cell phones in that they work over a number of frequencies and hop around.

You need a scanner that can follow the skipping.

There have been some threads on listening systems.

Interesting- thanks! All I know is what I read in that book. I think the book is about 10-12 years old now. So I guess a CB radio on channel 19 won't help much. If it did tell you where the speed traps were, I thought that might be amusing to have on long road trips- both listen for cops and dial up the other channels to see what other interesting things there are out there going on. Just a $50 or $100 toy, basically.

Maybe a scanner is the way to go if I want to avoid speed traps. But that would only get police broadcasts. Probably not as interesting as being able to listen to all the channels out there. Just a scanner sounds a bit boring, I guess. :)

Pinecone
09-02-2003, 09:08 AM
CB can be entertaining, and actually useful.

But a good radar detector would be my first piece, then the scanner, then teh CB.

xtremeamerica
07-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Up here we use 10-400 or just 400 to report the locations of the Smokey's.

That was the 10 code used by the local public bus there I used to live [before moving in with my fiancee] so the driver could warn each other of speed traps sincde theyh paid there own fines and the bus company didnt reimberse them.

There's also http://speedtrap.org.

[I-81 PA exit 100 & people coming into Pine Grove. Myself (Xtreme America or U. S. A. - 1) and my fiancee (Smart Ass) monitor C.B. 1-9] :thumbup:

drrpm
07-06-2011, 03:37 PM
If your front door is the white knight you may be in trouble.

xtremeamerica
07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
If your front door is the white knight you may be in trouble.

10-9? WHAT? :dunno:

cwsqbm
07-06-2011, 04:09 PM
We used to have CBs to communicate amongst vehicles during road trips. Cell phones made them irrelevant.

tagheuer
07-07-2011, 06:35 AM
I would be careful about driving around with a police scanner in your car...

I think it is illegal in some jurisdictions in Michigan...I remember a while back, 5-10 years ago, there were a group of professional theives driving around committing home invasions...and they had a police scanner and they knew exactly when the call came in, how long it would take them to respond and which roads they were using to arrive at the scene.

It was a pretty big problem, as you can imagine. Some cities passed ordinances banning them in-vehicle.....you can have one at home, but not necessarily in your car.

Not sure if states have laws or what the laws are in your jurisdiction...

xtremeamerica
07-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I would be careful about driving around with a police scanner in your car...

I think it is illegal in some jurisdictions in Michigan...I remember a while back, 5-10 years ago, there were a group of professional theives driving around committing home invasions...and they had a police scanner and they knew exactly when the call came in, how long it would take them to respond and which roads they were using to arrive at the scene.

It was a pretty big problem, as you can imagine. Some cities passed ordinances banning them in-vehicle.....you can have one at home, but not necessarily in your car.

Not sure if states have laws or what the laws are in your jurisdiction...

Dude, we're talking C.B.'s like the Truckers and Speed - Sports Transporter drivers use. Not Police Scanner.

ThoreauHD
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Cb's are very useful on long trips. Truck driver's will do what they can to help you in an emergency, and you'll be alerted to road traps or congestion. They especially like it when women ask for help or a status of certain stretches of highway.

Once you get used to their country/auctioneer manner of speech you can pick up a helluva lot of useful information. Did I mention that they love when women ask for help?

gary york
07-08-2011, 02:31 PM
get a magnetic antenna and the highest wat unit you can find with scanner
yest you will hear the truckers talk and warn each other
also you can ask advice on prostitudes and best truck-stop food !

tagheuer
07-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Dude, we're talking C.B.'s like the Truckers and Speed - Sports Transporter drivers use. Not Police Scanner.

I know, but others mentioned police scanners.

CBs are worthless, they don't monitor police frequencies, and the OP's goal is to avoid coppers, so...

magnumforc
07-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Problem with CB's are that you can't hardly talk across the street with all the background noise, especially wuith the solar storms this decade. Plus, so many users now run "power" with illegal linear amplifiers so that makes your radio even more useless unless you also do the same. You can get one and listen, but don't expect to actually get any useful information before the radar or lidar has you pinpointed. With POP and laser, it's really difficult to avoid detection if you're out there running all alone. Even radar detectors don't help much if you're in front of the pack with pulsed or laser.

Good advice: Stay out of the far left lane. Try and blend with faster traffic. Don't be the leader of the pack. Don't weave in and out. Maintain a low profile. Loud exhausts do bring attention. Take it from someone who really knows and who had 40 years experience chasing people on the highway. (I was an accident investigator and unfortunately many years of my chasing was to get to view what was left after the wreck)

I love driving fast, and the best book on avoiding speeding tickets won't beat the dumbest cop with the latest laser on a good day!~