PDA

View Full Version : who is 'maxbimmer.com'?

tommyd
08-30-2003, 04:14 AM
is maxbimmer.com an affiliate of bimmerfest?

i've set my computers security settings at a higher mode... and am prompted for cookies at my behest...
while opening pages on bimmerfest, i find that maxbimmer is trying to drop a cookie onto my computer?

why would maxbimmer be doing that?

Artslinger
08-30-2003, 05:45 AM
Maybe the cookie is from one of the Ads?

tommyd
08-30-2003, 05:49 AM
Maybe the cookie is from one of the Ads?

never thought of that...
wonder why an ad would want to send a cookie...? aren't they used to help speed up navigation and to gather info for the website you're visiting? (which could be good and bad for ya...)

if i'm not on their site, i don't want them prying... (if that's what it is)

tommyd
08-30-2003, 05:55 AM
never thought of that...
wonder why an ad would want to send a cookie...? aren't they used to help speed up navigation and to gather info for the website you're visiting? (which could be good and bad for ya...)

I checked the add at the top of my screen just now when i got the cookie prompt... it wasn't for maxbimmer...
Their site is set up in a similar fashion as bimmerfest so i wonder if they're a mirror site?

Bobby 325i
08-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Maxbimmer.com is a BMW enthusiast site based out of Toronto. It has no affiliation with Bimmerfest. There are some vendors here that support this site and support Maxbimmer as well

SupraRZ
09-01-2003, 04:15 AM
never thought of that...

Man, there are countless reasons and functions for cookies, but here are some major ones:

Marketing Purposes:

1) Count how many times the ad is flashed to a paying customer before it converts to a sale.

2) Ad serving software do not want to serve duplicate banners if they dont have to. If banners are randomized, a person is bound to see the same bad. So, the cookie will have all the info an advertising company needs for this matter.

3) Some shopping carts use cookies to retain items in the cart when you go and add things.,

And on and on and on....

Non-Marketing Purposes:

1) Cookie has your name in it... So when you go back, it'll go "Welcome back Bob!"

2) Cookie has your username/password so you dont have to log in again (bimmerfest should have this)

3) On and on and on...

~Peter