PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Install - Antenna Detail

kneebiters
08-30-2003, 03:09 PM
There have been plenty of threads on XM and Sirius installs. I went the Sirius route, and picked up all of the BMW OEM parts - receiver, antenna and installation kit. The install was pretty much by the numbers, so I won't go into the details. I did do something a little interesting with the antenna, and thought I would post the details.

I wanted to mount the antenna inside, on the back shelf, but I wanted the install to look as clean as possible. I read how a number of people had unscrewed the center child seat teather and snaked the antenna wire through the hole. That seemed okay, but I didn't like the way the antenna wire pinched under the plastic plate.

I went to the dealer and ordered an extra plate (PN 51 46 8 227 690) and used a wood drill bit to drill an 11/16" hole in it, just below the factory hole. The rubber gromet that came with the antenna fit nicely into this new hole giving it a more finished look. The picture is below.

Not rocket science, but I thought it might help.

ObD
08-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Nice. :)

kneebiters
08-31-2003, 05:46 AM
I'll reply to my own post here by saying that the install is clean, but the reception is not perfect. It cuts out in tunnels, garages, and sometimes in heavily tree-lined streets. I may have to do some sort of temporary roof install to compare the reception. I can live with what I am getting, but it isn't the best.

HankM3
09-02-2003, 12:41 PM
I'll reply to my own post here by saying that the install is clean, but the reception is not perfect. It cuts out in tunnels, garages, and sometimes in heavily tree-lined streets. I may have to do some sort of temporary roof install to compare the reception. I can live with what I am getting, but it isn't the best.

Even if it's on the roof it'll cut out in garages, tunnels, and heavy foliage can cause it to cut out too. If you leave near a repeater, this may not be a problem.

I've had it on both the roof and rear deck, and the roof reception is only slightly better. So, mine resides permanently on the rear deck.

kneebiters
09-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Even if it's on the roof it'll cut out in garages, tunnels, and heavy foliage can cause it to cut out too. If you leave near a repeater, this may not be a problem.

I've had it on both the roof and rear deck, and the roof reception is only slightly better. So, mine resides permanently on the rear deck.

Hmm. Good information Hank. However, that makes me wonder whether the cost benefit is there...