PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a SCAM.....I believe so....LOOK OUT

BayDetailz
08-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Hello Everyone,

Well I saw a 323i on for sale at with 54k 5spd on Yahoo Classifieds. So I decided to drop an email for this guy just to see what's up. Hmm here is the respond I got as an email.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri 8/29/2003 10:47 PM
To: Store
Cc:
Subject: Re: Your 1999 BMW 3-Series on Yahoo! Autos

Dear sir,
If you are interested to buy my car and agree my terms,please mail me back. I want for my car 9900 usd for it because i need money very fast for my business.I will arrange the shipping myself and the shipping will be free.Also i have a clear title in hand and the title will be shipped with the car.Also i accept only escrow service because is the safest way for both of us and in this way you will have 7 days for inspection untill you will aprove that escrow company send me the money and you can check all the things you want including the papers and a test drive.You will have to pay 9900 usd trough escrow .The car is in perfect condition, never been involved in accident or something like that.If you agree with my terms please mail me and i will give the escrow details.I accepet escrow service because i am not in town and i want to do bussines very safe.The buy it now price is 9900 usd.

Best regards
John

I will keep you guys posted and to see how far we go with this......

Gold

LDV330i
08-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

Well I saw a 323i on for sale at with 54k 5spd on Yahoo Classifieds. So I decided to drop an email for this guy just to see what's up. Hmm here is the respond I got as an email.

-----Original Message-----

Skim.com is a webmail service based in Hong Kong.

Even though the seller appears to have an english sounding name that e-mail clearly shows a very poor command of the english language. :rolleyes: That would sure raise a flag in my mind.

Any mention of where the car is located?

JetBlack330i
08-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Other than the name not matching the poor English, what makes you think this is a scam?
Just because he insisted on escrow?

TGray5
08-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Has all the makings of a scam.

Parump
08-30-2003, 10:50 PM
I vote probable scam.

On a humorous note, there was a posting several years ago about someone "playing the game" with a Nigerian promising millions of dollars. The e mails were hilarious.

In all seriousness, the only way that I would even consider responding would be if I could choose the escrow agent. I would be curious to see his response if you replied that you were ready to purchase the car "real fast" and that he needed to arrange for the car to be shipped to your destination prior to receiving payment.

BayDetailz
08-31-2003, 12:00 AM
Here is the link to the car for sale.......

http://classifieds.autos.yahoo.com/class/detail.html?cid=automobiles-1062116759-3220643&&ce_sl=By+Owner&purlf=y&ct_p=y&gur=300&ct_l=lat*375929**long*-1220467&vtype=autos&csz=94587&distance=195.78

Raffi
08-31-2003, 12:17 AM
Other than the name not matching the poor English, what makes you think this is a scam?
Just because he insisted on escrow?

The price is waaaaaaaaayyyyy too low for a car in (allegedly) great condition.

LmtdSlip
08-31-2003, 06:07 AM
No doubt he will have an escrow agent that he uses and will not use any other.

His escrow agent is not an escrow account at all, it's a front to scam people of their money.

It would be fun to play along for a bit and read the e-mails for our education of such scams. :thumbup:

LDV330i
08-31-2003, 10:34 AM
The price is waaaaaaaaayyyyy too low for a car in (allegedly) great condition.

According to Kelly Blue Book the trade-in value of the car is $16,450 and the private party price is pegged at $18,620.

Why is this car being dumped at such ridiculously low price? :dunno:

Raffi
08-31-2003, 11:45 AM

Because this car does not exist, or at least does not belong to the seller, and the price is set way low to attract gullible buyers thinking they are getting the deal of a lifetime.

SARAFIL
08-31-2003, 12:07 PM
According to Kelly Blue Book the trade-in value of the car is $16,450 and the private party price is pegged at $18,620.

Kelly Blue Book trade in values are usually very, very generous. Retail on that car barely hits $20,000, and warranty is likely expired by time, so that car could not be certified. That's a wholesale piece, so don't expect to get anything more than auction value (much less than $16,450).

That being said, I still don't see why that guy would sell the car for that price. If it was legitimate, he could probably turn $15,000 for it. It looks quite fishy to me.

LarryN
08-31-2003, 01:41 PM
This sounds exactly like that plasma TV scam uncovered two weeks on eBay. The seller mentioned putting money in escrow until you actually receive that tv, but it really was not an escrow, and no tv ever comes. The $$'s disappear as well.

I agree that it would be funny to see how far you can string the guy along though.

Toast
08-31-2003, 02:14 PM
The ad for the car says its "ELECTRIC RED", but isn't the car supposed to be bright red? (electric red is offered since MY2002 if I remember correctly) :dunno:

KevinR
08-31-2003, 05:52 PM
It's an old scam. If you check some of the SAAB meesage boards, you'll find a very similar story. I'd point you to a link if I had one.

BayDetailz
08-31-2003, 08:00 PM
If you guys look at the actual website and go under contact, there is no phone number listed. I did reply and just waiting for the respond. Let's see who contacts me :D . If any of you out there have worked with this website... http://www.safer-escrow.com let me know. Thanks

Gold

Sent: Sat 8/30/2003 2:26 PM
To: Store
Cc:
Subject: RE: Your 1999 BMW 3-Series on Yahoo! Autos

Hello again,

Ok sir we have a deal.So please go to : http://www.safer-escrow.com .
Enter in the website and register there . You will mail me the user
name and I will start a transaction with you . I will e-mail you when I'm
done. You go to the escrow again , log in , and go to the transaction
and click the transaction # . A page with the transaction details will
appear . Read the details , and if you agree , click I agree . After
that go to the active transaction sections , go to the transaction details , and were it was the I agree button is now Pay Now button. Click it , and a ssl form will ask you some details like the bank from were the payment is made. Complete this form and go to the next page , were the escrow bank account details will appear . Copy or print them and go with them to the bank and transfer as wire transfer the 9900 usd . When the money arrive to escrow , the transaction will appear done , and I must ship the car for your inspection . You have 7 days to inspect the car . The shipping is free. Also i need your full name,shipping address and a phone number.

I wait for your username !!

Thank you .
John

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-31-2003, 08:21 PM
Free shipping on a car?!?!?!?! An inspection period after it's delivered?!?!

This is a scam. There is no question on that matter. Toy with the guy if you like, but do NOT send him any money.

LDV330i
08-31-2003, 08:48 PM
If you guys look at the actual website and go under contact, there is no phone number listed.
Even their online contact form doesn't work.:thumbdwn:

Also of note, I found this on the Safer Escrow website:

DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Any dispute between either party and Safer Escrow arising out of or in connection with this Agreement shall be referred to and finally resolved by arbitration administered by the British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre pursuant to its rules. The place of arbitration shall be Melbourne, FL.

This contradicts the British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre rules listed on their website which says the place of arbitration is to be Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.:dunno:

Here is an article on Fraudulent Escrow Sites (http://www.auctionbytes.com/pages/abn/y02/m10/i26/s02) that work in cahoots with the sellers.

Bruce
08-31-2003, 09:05 PM
I find it humorous that one of the websites listed in that article is escrowsol.com. Or...it should be written as escrowSOL.com :-)

LmtdSlip
09-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Id find a legitimate escrow company and email the guy back and say you will only use XYZ Escrow (legitimate) and see what he says.

Afterall if it is legit he shouldnt care what escrow company is used.

Has anyone run a Carfax on the VIN he has listed?

Emission
09-02-2003, 10:54 AM
This is such a scam. What a crook. Do not send this guy a penny (I don't think you were planning on it anyway).

eswimm
09-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Well, if it is a scam, I certainly hope the perpitrator wasn't dumb enough to actually register the domain under his own name.

------------
Registrant:
Ronald's
2507 spreckels ln
redondo beach, ca 90278
US

Registrar: NAMESDIRECT
Domain Name: SAFER-ESCROW.COM
Created on: 27-AUG-03
Expires on: 27-AUG-05
Last Updated on: 27-AUG-03

Administrative, Technical Contact:
nash, ronald sdx870@yahoo.com
Ronald's
2507 spreckels ln
redondo beach, ca 90278
US
310 3186417
-----------

Pinecone
09-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Find someone with a Carfax suscription. And call the owner to see if he realizes his car is for sale. :)

LmtdSlip
09-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Well I sent him an email indicating my interest in the car. I received the exact same email you did. This is how I responded:

Yes, I agree that Escrow is the way to go with a transaction of this sort. $9900 seems like a very good deal for the car.

I use JPMorgan as my escrow bank. Please provide the account number you would like the money transmitted to and I will arrange transfer from my money market account. This will allow you to get your money faster as we can arrange for any escrow period you wish. Three days should be enough for me to look over the car and paperwork. That way you can get your money faster for use in your business.

We will see what I get in return. :p

SergioK
09-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Well I sent him an email indicating my interest in the car. I received the exact same email you did. This is how I responded:

Yes, I agree that Escrow is the way to go with a transaction of this sort. $9900 seems like a very good deal for the car.

I use JPMorgan as my escrow bank. Please provide the account number you would like the money transmitted to and I will arrange transfer from my money market account. This will allow you to get your money faster as we can arrange for any escrow period you wish. Three days should be enough for me to look over the car and paperwork. That way you can get your money faster for use in your business.

We will see what I get in return. :p

I'd really like to see what he says in response.

Raffi
09-03-2003, 02:42 AM
Any Orange County people want to go check out the car? ;)

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=KkmE..p_0TqrSP9MKnHWVQIIwkOffUO0bNb ffA--&csz=redondo+beach%2C+ca&country=us

doeboy
09-03-2003, 03:27 AM
Any Orange County people want to go check out the car? ;)

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=KkmE..p_0TqrSP9MKnHWVQIIwkOffUO0bNb ffA--&csz=redondo+beach%2C+ca&country=us

I'm pretty sure that's a reasonably nice area... who's going?

LmtdSlip
09-03-2003, 06:50 AM
Well in response I got the EXACT same email requesting to use his escrow service. So this is what I sent back:

I use JPMorgan escrow as I do several transactions of this type per year.
Please feel free to call me if you want more information on the process. As you probably know JPMorgan is one of the largest banks in the world and can be trusted more than an online escrow service.

This will get you your money faster for your business. I will need your contact information as well as your bank info (address, account #) to set up the escrow transfer. Ill have a bill of sale and escrow documents emailed to you later today.

I may be in LA next week on business. Would I be able to see the car when arrive?

Lets see...

brochelle
07-20-2011, 08:55 AM
http://www.recycler.com/details/2987401/bmw-330i-2004-black

Reply Message (beware of Escrow comment and bad grammar)
Hello,

My name is Michael Westein, I am emailing you regarding the 2004 Bmw 330i Sport with automatic transmission that I have for sale.The final price that I want for this car is $2800 .It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident.The title is clear, tires are 90% good and it has 84,000 miles.I'm selling my son's car, who died in Iraq four months ago and I want to get rid of it asap because the sight of it makes me think of him often and often and the pain is too great. Put yourself in my shoes and you'll do the same (selling the car of your dead son, no offense)..!The payment will be handled by Escrow. If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address. I will forward your info and the official transaction will be started and you will be contacted by Escrow agents.

Thank you,
Michael Westein

Here are some pics of the car below!
http://picasaweb.google.com/parkchriss43/MycarBmw?authkey=Gv1sRgCIW0qfjRtd-JqQE#

Andrew*Debbie
07-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Obviously a scam -- Name on Picasa Web doesn't even match.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=285889&stc=1&d=1311174444

:angel::angel::angel::angel::angel: