PDA

View Full Version : The new ride has arrived...

XZLR8
08-29-2009, 11:30 PM
... at the dealership, at least. My 750i arrived this morning, so I stopped by to take a look and a quick drive (even though the interior was still covered in plastic and cardboard). On Monday, the car gets window tint (35%) and the full prep, then I take delivery that evening.

A couple quick random observations from today:

(1) The matte wood trim is stunning. Absolutely stunning. And I love it with the ceramic controls, too. I'm really happy with my color/trim selections.

(2) Believe it or not, I'd yet to see a F01/02 in Titanium Silver. Although I've owned countless TiSilver cars, so I certainly know what the color looks like, I was thrilled to see my new TiSilver 7 Sport... beautiful.

(3) OEM tires are Pirellis. (I think someone asked what tires are being used.)

(4) There's a small door to a hidden compartment under the switch for the lights (directly in front of your left knee) that I hadn't noticed on any of the demos. Nice place to tuck a wallet, etc.

(5) I didn't order the "Smartphone Integration" option, but still have the phone cradle in the center console, which wastes far too much space. I don't think there's any way to remove it, unfortunately.

Okay, more after I actually take delivery and can spend some time enjoying the car. I feel like a kid who can't sleep on Christmas Eve, just waiting for Monday evening to arrive.

By the way, on the same truck as my 7 was another in the new Mineral White (I think that's what it is called) color. Not bad, actually... which surprised me. I'll be interested to see it when it's all cleaned up.

Spiroman
08-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Congrats on the new ride - look forward to seeing pics later this week.

And thanks for letting me know about the Pirellis - I assume P Zero runflats.

Enjoy!:beerchug:

Best regards.

Spiroman

asaseaban
08-30-2009, 06:36 PM
All my 7 series have been Titanium Silver except for my current F02 which is Mineral White which looks really nice but my ED F02 is Titanium Silver and i'm picking it up on Saturday 9/5.

Congratulations and I know you'll have fun with that ride. I spent an entire night playing with my F02 when I first got it and ye i'm still finding new features and neat tricks everyday. Try and get some sleep because you gonna need it after picking it up.

XZLR8
08-30-2009, 06:51 PM
All my 7 series have been Titanium Silver except for my current F02 which is Mineral White which looks really nice but my ED F02 is Titanium Silver and i'm picking it up on Saturday 9/5.

Congratulations and I know you'll have fun with that ride. I spent an entire night playing with my F02 when I first got it and ye i'm still finding new features and neat tricks everyday. Try and get some sleep because you gonna need it after picking it up.
I apologize if this is common knowledge, but I really wasn't paying a lot of consistent attention to this board until very recently...

Anyway, why are you trading for another F02 so soon, if you don't mind me asking?

hayden
08-31-2009, 03:17 AM
... at the dealership, at least. My 750i arrived this morning, so I stopped by to take a look and a quick drive (even though the interior was still covered in plastic and cardboard). On Monday, the car gets window tint (35%) and the full prep, then I take delivery that evening.

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics!

The matte wood trim is stunning. Absolutely stunning. And I love it with the ceramic controls, too.

I totally agree. Did you see my interior pic? I think yours and mine are identical on the inside. Did you notice you can acutally see some minor imperfections in the wood? I think those make it look even more exotic and elegant!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=199006&d=1251568624

There's a small door to a hidden compartment under the switch for the lights (directly in front of your left knee) that I hadn't noticed on any of the demos. Nice place to tuck a wallet, etc.

It's a good size too! I was able to store the big bulky hardcase for my sunglasses there...

panthrax
08-31-2009, 04:56 AM
cant wait for the pics!

XZLR8
08-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Did you see my interior pic? I think yours and mine are identical on the inside. Did you notice you can acutally see some minor imperfections in the wood? I think those make it look even more exotic and elegant!
Yep, we have the exact same interior. I'm just so happy with it. It almost has the look (in terms of the grain) of a natural bamboo or something. It's stunning and unexpected. I'm thrilled.

As I mentioned before, we don't see a lot of these new 7s here in central Ohio, so this was the first one with matte wood that anyone at the dealership had seen. My salesman said he was unsure about it when I ordered it, but I think they all agree that it's gorgeous now.

It's a good size too! I was able to store the big bulky hardcase for my sunglasses there...
I don't know how I missed it before, but I think it will come in handy... and may help to make up for the space lost to that infernal phone cradle in the center console.

I hopped over to the other board and took a look at your pics. Fantastic job detailing your trip for all of us. Congrats on the new car and the grand adventure. Safe travels.

XZLR8
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Well, the new ride was tinted this morning (35%) and I took delivery tonight. You'll have to excuse my photo posting ignorance, but I am going to give this a shot, as requested. These aren't anything special, but a couple quick images to give you an idea...

Taken at the dealership with my phone, thus the questionable quality:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2595/3876391060_6f86b6dd22.jpg

And a few snapped on the way home:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2478/3875841887_11460a72e9.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2613/3876633802_fc24ae74f9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/3875847101_d01d7a9b76.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2508/3876631368_5ed68b3c54.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3472/3876641276_4ebcb1eb61.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2579/3876639628_21a5ef1e78.jpg

Now, I'm off to play for a bit. I'll post some thoughts and ruminations later.

asaseaban
08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm loving the Titanium Silver. It looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see mine on Saturday. I'm definitely getting the fine wood matte next time...it looks awesome.

Congratulations and enjoy the new ride.

asaseaban
08-31-2009, 07:36 PM
I apologize if this is common knowledge, but I really wasn't paying a lot of consistent attention to this board until very recently...

Anyway, why are you trading for another F02 so soon, if you don't mind me asking?

It's a long story and it's all posted here.

XZLR8
08-31-2009, 09:38 PM
It's a long story and it's all posted here.
Hey, no problem. I was just curious.

XZLR8
08-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Okay, some random observations, in no particular order, after a couple short drives and a little time fiddling with iDrive:

(1) Can't get over how BIG the iDrive screen seems, especially at night. It's just enormous. Great graphics, resolution, etc. I really like the "night-time" map view.
(2) I'm very pleased with the new iDrive format, buttons, etc. I never had a problem with the old version, but this is heads and shoulders above anything previously offered by BMW or currently offered by any other manufacturer. The "Options" button works sort of like a Blackberry button... very cool, but I need to train myself to use it.
(3) Best seats in the business.
(4) I'm completely in love with the matte wood trim. I also love the ceramic controls and the leather wrapped dash... nonsense "extras" that are worth every penny, aesthetically.
(5) Pushing on the gas makes me smile. Wow.
(6) As someone who has hated Active Steering on every other BMW and always refused to even consider it, I am already a fan of Integral Active Steering on the new 7.
(7) I like the combined "presets" menu for satellite & FM. It's a small thing, but what a nice improvement.
(8) Better (and more frequent) navigation route instructions. Nice.
(9) Did I mention pushing on the gas?
(10) Man, I missed soft-close doors in the 6. Glad to have them back.
(11) Everything works more quietly than in my old E65s... the sunshades, the cooling seats... smooth, quiet, perfection.
(12) Like having the memory seat buttons on the door.
(13) I've been keeping the suspension in Sport, which I like. A little softer still, certainly, than my 6, but good. I'll be curious to see what Comfort feels like on a road trip. Good to have options.
(14) And then, when I stomp the gas...

Quibbles:

(1) I wish they would have left the Cruise controls on a stalk instead of putting them on the steering wheel. You lose the programmable keys because of this, as well as the "next track" buttons, which I used all of the time. I'm going to have to adjust to the volume controls being on the right side, too.
(2) I will bitch about that phone cradle in the center console until the day I turn the car back in. Stupidity.
(3) I wish your suspension settings stayed in your selection, instead of reverting to "Normal" when you shut the car off and back on.
(4) I wish the steering wheel lowered just a tad more. However, with these seats, I find that I spend about two weeks fiddling around for the "perfect" setting. Maybe I just haven't found it yet.
(5) You have to hit the ignition button twice to completely power down?

Issue:

(1) I cannot get my (Verizon) Blackberry Storm's address book to transfer. It pairs and works without an issue, but refuses to transfer my contacts. Help?!

Spiroman
08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Quibbles:

If it is similar to the E65, all you have to do to shut everything down is keep that button pushed in for just a moment longer until everything powers off. See if that works.:)

Best regards.

Spiroman

XZLR8
08-31-2009, 11:08 PM
If it is similar to the E65, all you have to do to shut everything down is keep that button pushed in for just a moment longer until everything powers off. See if that works.:)
Having owned a few E65s, that was my initial thought too, but it doesn't work.

louser
09-01-2009, 12:34 AM
3) I wish your suspension settings stayed in your selection, instead of reverting to "Normal" when you shut the car off and back on.

on mine the settings remain where it is when i switch on and off. The only setting setting that does not remain is the sport + setting. and the reason for that is it deactivates traction control and when the car is started it re activates it so the setting revert back to normal.
when i set in sport it remains there all the time. im not sure if u have to set through options or driver profiles cos the car got memory keys or functions. just like the lexus.

asaseaban
09-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Okay, some random observations, in no particular order, after a couple short drives and a little time fiddling with iDrive:

(1) Can't get over how BIG the iDrive screen seems, especially at night. It's just enormous. Great graphics, resolution, etc. I really like the "night-time" map view.
(2) I'm very pleased with the new iDrive format, buttons, etc. I never had a problem with the old version, but this is heads and shoulders above anything previously offered by BMW or currently offered by any other manufacturer. The "Options" button works sort of like a Blackberry button... very cool, but I need to train myself to use it.
(3) Best seats in the business.
(4) I'm completely in love with the matte wood trim. I also love the ceramic controls and the leather wrapped dash... nonsense "extras" that are worth every penny, aesthetically.
(6) As someone who has hated Active Steering on every other BMW and always refused to even consider it, I am already a fan of Integral Active Steering on the new 7.
(7) I like the combined "presets" menu for satellite & FM. It's a small thing, but what a nice improvement.
(8) Better (and more frequent) navigation route instructions. Nice.
(9) Did I mention pushing on the gas?
(10) Man, I missed soft-close doors in the 6. Glad to have them back.
(11) Everything works more quietly than in my old E65s... the sunshades, the cooling seats... smooth, quiet, perfection.
(12) Like having the memory seat buttons on the door.
(13) I've been keeping the suspension in Sport, which I like. A little softer still, certainly, than my 6, but good. I'll be curious to see what Comfort feels like on a road trip. Good to have options.
(14) And then, when I stomp the gas...

Quibbles:

(1) I wish they would have left the Cruise controls on a stalk instead of putting them on the steering wheel. You lose the programmable keys because of this, as well as the "next track" buttons, which I used all of the time. I'm going to have to adjust to the volume controls being on the right side, too.
(2) I will bitch about that phone cradle in the center console until the day I turn the car back in. Stupidity.
(3) I wish your suspension settings stayed in your selection, instead of reverting to "Normal" when you shut the car off and back on.
(4) I wish the steering wheel lowered just a tad more. However, with these seats, I find that I spend about two weeks fiddling around for the "perfect" setting. Maybe I just haven't found it yet.

Issue:

(1) I cannot get my (Verizon) Blackberry Storm's address book to transfer. It pairs and works without an issue, but refuses to transfer my contacts. Help?!

Somehow i just can't get my "night-time" map view to work. I have it in Automatic and the map view is Perspective with 3D. Speaking of night driving, the high beam assist works great too...no more toggling.

See what happens when you put it in Sports Plus mode...the rpm goes up immediately and a little tap on the gas pebble just launches the car. Very impressive.

I just love Integral Active Steering for the simple fact that it's make parallel parking much easier for me...especially when squeezing between two cars.

Definitely. On my E65 i could hear the sunshades go up or down and i could hear ventilated seats running even with the radio on but with the FO2 i can barely hear the sunshades and ventilated seats operating even without the radio on. Also, the remote trunk operate much smoother and quieter compare to the E65. Huge improvement.

Sorry to disagree with you but i like the idea of having the phone dials on the iDrive screen. The phone cradle was neat on the E65 but i don't miss it.

If the steering won't come down any lower...the seat can always go up. Also, you can create a profile and set the option to remember last seat position. When you turn the car off, the steering wheel goes all the up, the seat moves back and give you ample room to get out of the car. When you return and hit the Start button the steering wheel and seat adjust to the last setting/position...very helpful feature for getting in and out easily.

1 push cuts the engine off and you don't have to push it second time to turn the car off. You can program so that if you leave the car it automatically turns off and lock the car within a few minutes of not sensing the key fob.

I use to have the Blackberry 8830 and it worked fine with my FO2. The Address Book didn't "transfer" to the car but it was visible for me to use under my Contacts in the iDrive. I'm using the Palm Pre now and everything works fine. Once the car detect the phone i can operate everything (except for checking my emails and text messages) from the iDrive without ever touching my phone.

You may want to sign up for the BMW Assistô Safety & Convenience Services. Very helpful backup service to have incase you're in a location and the iDrive can't find something or you need live weather and traffice update. I sign up for the service for less than a month and cancelled it because the Google internet feature wasn't working. All i got was the Google search which was similar to the built-in iDrive search.

When you get the chance, play with the Onboard Manual. Everything you need to know about the car and even more is there...it even has small videos/animation of how to operate certain functions in the car. Very informative and interract. The book format owners manual is useful if you don't feel like sitting in the car all day playing with the onboard version.

Enjoy driving and exploring your new ride. I think BMW did a great work with the F01/2.

asaseaban
09-01-2009, 07:14 AM

Best regards.

Spiroman

This doesn't work for the F01/2 because the Key Fob is not inserted like the E65. Depressing it longer with your foot on the brake pedal cycles the car On and Off.

asaseaban
09-01-2009, 07:21 AM
XZLR8,

Thought you could use this helpful hint. If you look on the right side of the steering column, there's a spot with a key drawn. As you drive your new baby for months and years, you may run into a situation where the key fob won't open the car. Use the valet key to open the door and place the key fob at that particular spot where the key is drawn. Keep it there for about a minute or so then try operating the car with the key fob. I got my car in April and I had to do this in June. Not sure why or what caused it.

XZLR8
09-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Somehow i just can't get my "night-time" map view to work. I have it in Automatic and the map view is Perspective with 3D. Speaking of night driving, the high beam assist works great too...no more toggling.
I don't have my map in perspective view, but the night-time was default set to automatic and worked great last night. After years of the maps in other BMWs, I can't get over how nice the graphics are in the new 7.

Sorry to disagree with you but i like the idea of having the phone dials on the iDrive screen. The phone cradle was neat on the E65 but i don't miss it.
I mean the contraption in the center armrest. It takes up almost the whole storage area, which is a huge waste, IMO.

1 push cuts the engine off and you don't have to push it second time to turn the car off. You can program so that if you leave the car it automatically turns off and lock the car within a few minutes of not sensing the key fob.
My salesman said the same thing, but I can't get used to the idea of walking away from the car (even if it's just in the garage) with the power still on inside.

I use to have the Blackberry 8830 and it worked fine with my FO2. The Address Book didn't "transfer" to the car but it was visible for me to use under my Contacts in the iDrive. I'm using the Palm Pre now and everything works fine. Once the car detect the phone i can operate everything (except for checking my emails and text messages) from the iDrive without ever touching my phone.
Hmm, not sure what the problem is with mine.

asaseaban
09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
My salesman said the same thing, but I can't get used to the idea of walking away from the car (even if it's just in the garage) with the power still on inside.

This is where you'll have to trust BMW as long as you have the settings correct...it'll lock the car. I was doubtful at first but i use it occassionally.

hayden
09-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Congrats! She's a beauty!

I agree this is stupid - but not a big deal if you get used to it. They should have just made it turn completely off when the driver's door is opened. (Lots of cars work that way)

Do you have the forward alert feature? That is slick! A red icon appears on both the head up display and the cluster when it thinks a frontal impact is likely - and warning tones go off if it's VERY likely. Really nice feature for me to have. It's very accurate (no false warnings) and has saved my butt at least once so far. Our range rover has it also - but the tech. is not as good as on the F02.

The sport mode makes a big difference. Going up and down curvy mountain roads with it on I noticed the feels like a 5 series! A lot less lean.

davidc1
09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Congrats! She's a beauty!

I agree this is stupid - but not a big deal if you get used to it. They should have just made it turn completely off when the driver's door is opened. (Lots of cars work that way)

I don't like it either but turning everything off when the door opens is not a good idea. Sometimes you want the radio on with the engine off like when you are waiting for your wife outside a mall for example or working in the garage or the driveway.

hayden
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't like it either but turning everything off when the door opens is not a good idea. Sometimes you want the radio on with the engine off like when you are waiting for your wife outside a mall for example or working in the garage or the driveway.

Right - in those limited cases you could just press the start button again without your foot on the brake. I think those situations account for less than 1% of start/stops.

Vitacura
09-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Very sharp, Congrats!

XZLR8
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
A couple random items that I noticed/appreciated today...

(1) Love the "ALL" button on the climate controls that allows the driver to set the temp and fan speed for both sides, instead of having to adjust them individually.
(2) Similarly, having the button on the driver's door that allows me to adjust the passenger seat is wonderful.

I'm starting to get acclimated and am loving it even more (even though my BB Storm still won't sync the address book). It's been more of an adjustment than I thought it would be coming from my 650i Sport, to be honest, but I'm happy to have made the change.

OnlySkills
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Nice rides guys. You are making me jealous but I am thinking about upgrading to the F01... skipping one generation is like skipping high school!

LovinM6
09-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Congrats on the car. Looks great and enjoy!

03745Li-chicago
09-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, the new ride was tinted this morning (35%) and I took delivery tonight. You'll have to excuse my photo posting ignorance, but I am going to give this a shot, as requested. These aren't anything special, but a couple quick images to give you an idea...

Taken at the dealership with my phone, thus the questionable quality:

Now, I'm off to play for a bit. I'll post some thoughts and ruminations later.

Congrats on the new ride. Looks beautiful - I have to say, I'm kinda surprised you went with Silver with Black :)

hayden
09-02-2009, 06:48 AM
The air vent direction options are neat. First time I've seen this. The front middle air vents have a direct vent from the center - and also the ability to vent around the outside frame (in between the chrome edges). It is very clever and provides the option to distribute the air directly and indirectly at the same time (or one or the other only):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=199430&stc=1&d=1251825892

Did the previous model or any other BMW's have this?

asaseaban
09-02-2009, 07:07 AM
The air vent direction options are neat. First time I've seen this. The front middle air vents have a direct vent from the center - and also the ability to vent around the outside frame (in between the chrome edges). It is very clever and provides the option to distribute the air directly and indirectly at the same time (or one or the other only):

I know none of my previous 7 series ever had this feature for the air nozzles.

XZLR8
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
That's new, hayden...

BW#4 B7
09-05-2009, 06:36 AM
X- Best of luck, itís by far the nicest I have seen to date
You beat me to the start line again my friend, but we have several model years to go and only 7 months left on my B7.
The colors and spec is great, thanks for the review. Overall I think the one thing I will really miss with the new model is the pop out phone keypad. How are you dealing without it?
Keep the review posts coming, be safe!
Regards

XZLR8
09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
X- Best of luck, itís by far the nicest I have seen to date
You beat me to the start line again my friend, but we have several model years to go and only 7 months left on my B7.
The colors and spec is great, thanks for the review. Overall I think the one thing I will really miss with the new model is the pop out phone keypad. How are you dealing without it?
Keep the review posts coming, be safe!
Regards
Hey, old pal... nice to see you over here.

I didn't really use the phone keypad, so can't say that I miss it. I can tell you, though, that the iDrive system to is so improved that I doubt you'll miss any of the old gadgets.

I've been out of town for a few days (and in rental car hell, to say the least), so I am glad to get home tonight and see the shiny 7 in the garage. Think I'm going to love that car...

hayden
09-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Overall I think the one thing I will really miss with the new model is the pop out phone keypad. How are you dealing without it?

There is a circular dial available thru iDrive to dial numbers and also access the virtual keypad while on a call (access voicemail, dial prompts, etc).

20C4S
09-10-2009, 12:37 AM
wow! love the matt wood. wish mine has it. because there're so much wood surface in the car u can easily see some swirl marks on the glossy wood. oh well, ur ride looks hot!

XZLR8
09-10-2009, 10:07 PM
wow! love the matt wood. wish mine has it. because there're so much wood surface in the car u can easily see some swirl marks on the glossy wood. oh well, ur ride looks hot!
Thanks! The matte wood is definitely one of my favorite things about the interior.

loco335
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Congrats!!!!

soc_fans
09-16-2009, 03:11 PM
XZLR8, Congrats on your new ride!

May i ask what is the model of your 19" wheels u're running? IMO that wheels look best on the new 7er..

XZLR8
09-16-2009, 04:13 PM
XZLR8, Congrats on your new ride!

May i ask what is the model of your 19" wheels u're running? IMO that wheels look best on the new 7er..
Thanks! They are just the standard OEM Sport rims on the '09, but I really like them, too.

XZLR8
09-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Well, I'm near the 1,000 mile mark on the new 750i, so I thought I'd post a few more comments. Some might be repetitive, so I apologize in advance. These are just random observations, in no particular order.

First of all, I'm completely in love with the car. As I mentioned previously, there was a bigger adjustment period (I came out of a 650i) than I expected, but I am all fat and happy now. I think part of the adjustment was in overall seating position, as much as the increase in size. I find that I have to sit up a lot higher in this car and closer to the wheel than I ever did in the 6, just so I feel in control. Thankfully, the seats are incredible with infinite adjustment options, although it seems like it takes a bit of time to find just the "right" position.

The power is amazing, of course. I find that I routinely flip it into Sport (as opposed to Sport+), which seems perfect. [Minor gripe: I wish you could change the default setting on this, as opposed to having to select it every time you start the car.] Powerful as the car is, I also appreciate how smooth the delivery feels. I was also considering an X6 5.0i when shopping for the 7, which I think felt less smooth and sounded more obnoxious (which probably is further proof that I'm getting old). Great engine.

I still hate that chrome strip across the trunk, but other than that, the styling continues to impress me. I like that it's a bit more subtle on the exterior. I think the interior is absolutely gorgeous... and it always receives compliments when someone new sees the car. The matte wood trim is a standout. I'd encourage anyone to consider it. Just beautiful. I feel the same way about the ceramic controls.

There are a couple (new) minor features that have really proven their value already. The "ALL" button on the climate controls, which allows you to control both driver & passenger temp/fan by only adjusting the driver's side is wonderful... and really, long overdue. I also like the fact that I can control the passenger's seat position from the driver's side, if I so choose. Small thing, but very nice.

I started using an older iPod in the car (one that was pre-video) and was having the occasional glitch, where the song/artist playing would show up as "Unknown" when I would start the car. No amount of rebooting the iPod or re-connecting made a difference, but it would fix itself if you turned the car off and back on again. It probably happened a couple times a week. Over the weekend, I switched to a newer video-gen iPod and haven't had any problems. Maybe it's too early to tell or maybe older iPods are just less compatible. Not sure, but thought I'd mention it.

Speaking of technology, I still can't get the Address Book on my VzW Blackberry Storm to sync, although the phone does pair and work perfectly. Granted, I've not put much effort into it. I went ahead and entered the 20 or so numbers that I find myself frequently calling directly into the car's Contacts list, which has been fine. In some ways, I like it better because there's less scrolling to find the right number.

I noticed something interesting with the lights. On our old X5, when you would make a turn (and didn't have the fog lights on), the fog light would illuminate in the direction you were turning, then shut off as soon as you were going straight again. On the 7, the same sort of thing happens, only with the inside light of the headlamps, not the fog light. It sort of looks like the old style DRL when it does this. Also, when you put the car in reverse, BOTH inside lights illuminate. [What does that really accomplish? Makes no sense to me.]

Gas mileage, with a mix of city and highway (weighted toward city), has hovered around 16 MPG. The same driving mix in my 650i usually got between 19.5 and 20 MPG. I realize that people don't buy these cars for their fuel efficiency, but thought I'd mention it.

Trunk seems narrow. You can't put two mid-size suitcases (24" Tumis) side-by-side, but you can put them front-to-back.

Well, I told you they were random comments. :) More later...

hayden
09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
I started using an older iPod in the car (one that was pre-video) and was having the occasional glitch, where the song/artist playing would show up as "Unknown" when I would start the car. No amount of rebooting the iPod or re-connecting made a difference, but it would fix itself if you turned the car off and back on again. It probably happened a couple times a week. Over the weekend, I switched to a newer video-gen iPod and haven't had any problems. Maybe it's too early to tell or maybe older iPods are just less compatible. Not sure, but thought I'd mention it.

I had the same problem. It seems to forget the playlist I am on after about 5-10 start ups. It always will identify the current song... but I am unable to scroll up and down to see other songs on the playlist. I have to go back in and reselect the playlist, and choose a song to start on. It then works correctly for another 5-10 start ups, etc.

Trunk seems narrow. You can't put two mid-size suitcases (24" Tumis) side-by-side, but you can put them front-to-back.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=201881&stc=1&d=1253224121

That 28"Tumi in the middle has an identical twin placed flat behind it (and a duffel and tripod in the gap on the left). Not spacious, but not too bad.

XZLR8
09-17-2009, 04:28 PM
I had the same problem. It seems to forget the playlist I am on after about 5-10 start ups. It always will identify the current song... but I am unable to scroll up and down to see other songs on the playlist. I have to go back in and reselect the playlist, and choose a song to start on. It then works correctly for another 5-10 start ups, etc.
Now see, I couldn't even go back and select the playlist again because that information wasn't available, either. What generation iPod were you using?

That 28"Tumi in the middle has an identical twin placed flat behind it (and a duffel and tripod in the gap on the left). Not spacious, but not too bad.
Nice to know they'd fit, though. We were able to lay our 24" cases flat, front to back, and probably would have been able to stack two more on top of them. In my wife's little 3-Series wagon, you can actually fit the same suitcases flat, side-by-side.

BMR2009
09-23-2009, 06:25 AM
A lot of the observations are dead on, IMO. Sheer stupidity for no room in the center console!

Now I may be alone on this, but I find the matte finish a little cheap and plastic looking. I like the dullness of the finish, just not the cheapy light feel of it. I'll get used to it as I will not have that high maintenance gloss stuff.

Horsepower is tremendous, and I agree with Hayden, it feels like a 5 in size due to its more nimble handling. I was certain that noise was considerably higher than it is on any previous luxury car I've owned. I just sold my LS460L and it didn't make a sound at higher speeds. The 7 has a wind rushing sound near the mirror I believe, and I've heard others mention this too. Not a big deal, but something they should have elminated in the wind tunnel testing, you'd think.

Did any of you notice there is NO double glass on the new 7? It helps cut down on sound and provide additional safety. Maybe I missed it, but I looked and felt for it and could not see where there were two pieces of glass (both my last 7 and LS had this feature).

Oh, and my damned GPS would NOT load the USB's I had previously loaded with maps--even the delivery lady tried and couldn't get them to load. My Ipod wouldn't work either so that really set me in a mood (yes had adapter).

I will say the delivery went very well--they treat you right in Germany!

asaseaban
09-23-2009, 06:36 AM
I realized the wind noise was increasing the faster i drove so i decided to unplug my ipod, connect the headset and put 'em on. Wearing the headset and listening to some music dampens the noise and that helped me go faster without "feeling it."

The center console space issue seems to be on everyone's complaining list.

You may be alone on the matte finish because everyone that has it so far seems to love it. I was surprised it's not an option on the Individual 7er.
These are the only BMW Individual Trim options.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=202559&d=1253711552

Hopefully most of these issues will be fixed in the next MY7er and not the next generation 7er.

XZLR8
09-23-2009, 06:53 AM
My Ipod wouldn't work either so that really set me in a mood (yes had adapter).
I switched to a newer generation video iPod and haven't had a problem since.

hayden
09-23-2009, 11:50 AM
You may be alone on the matte finish because everyone that has it so far seems to love it. I was surprised it's not an option on the Individual 7er.
These are the only BMW Individual Trim options.

While it's not considered an "Individual" trim, you can still choose any of the standard trims on your Individual order in many countries.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/7series/sedan/2008/allfacts/individual/_teaser/pdf/brochure_BMW_individual_7series_sedan.pdf

LovinM6
09-23-2009, 07:33 PM
While it's not considered an "Individual" trim, you can still choose any of the standard trims on your Individual order in many countries.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/7series/sedan/2008/allfacts/individual/_teaser/pdf/brochure_BMW_individual_7series_sedan.pdf

Is this available in the US? I like the cool box and lights in the rear and I know those are not on my order.

Thanks,

Matthew

BmW745On19's
09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Is this available in the US? I like the cool box and lights in the rear and I know those are not on my order.

Thanks,

Matthew

Yes. You can order anything on your BMW Individual you want.

LovinM6
09-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes. You can order anything on your BMW Individual you want.

My CA is telling me the cool box and upgraded reading lights are not available in the US as well as some of the colors and interiors shown in the brochure.

hayden
09-23-2009, 08:55 PM
My CA is telling me the cool box and upgraded reading lights are not available in the US as well as some of the colors and interiors shown in the brochure.

That's correct. I was mainly pointing out that the matte wood was available with the other leather choices. Sorry for the confusion!

asaseaban
09-25-2009, 12:14 PM
I see the Fineline Matte Wood trim is not available on MY2010 760Li.

hayden
09-25-2009, 12:20 PM
I see the Fineline Matte Wood trim is not available on MY2010 760Li.

Probably another only in the US thing. I'm sure you could get it on a custom order in other countries.

I would probably opt for the Piano Black anyway. :D

asaseaban
09-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Probably another only in the US thing. I'm sure you could get it on a custom order in other countries.

I would probably opt for the Piano Black anyway. :D

In another countries Yes, but not available for US/US bound 7er.

LovinM6
09-28-2009, 10:28 PM
The piano black comes with an inlay according to the Individual brochure . Does anyone know what it is?

CT7er
09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Thin pencil-line of white metal, I believe.

BW#4 B7
09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
X-
Howís the new ride going? Looks real SHARP in the photos, still have not seen a silver in the flesh or at the dealer, strange, seems to be all blacks
getting the itch now for sure with only 6 months to go on the B7, I turned 38k miles this week in 18 months. Still love the B7 but always like the new skin. Seeing more and more F01s on the street, if no Alpina available to order by February I am thinking it will be a LWB M sport pkg with white over black and 20 inch M wheels. Made the jump to a lexota gs 350 awd for the wife last week
Tried to get her into a e350 4 matic but it was not her taste

XZLR8
09-30-2009, 06:33 AM
X-
Howís the new ride going? Looks real SHARP in the photos, still have not seen a silver in the flesh or at the dealer, strange, seems to be all blacks
getting the itch now for sure with only 6 months to go on the B7, I turned 38k miles this week in 18 months. Still love the B7 but always like the new skin. Seeing more and more F01s on the street, if no Alpina available to order by February I am thinking it will be a LWB M sport pkg with white over black and 20 inch M wheels. Made the jump to a lexota gs 350 awd for the wife last week
Tried to get her into a e350 4 matic but it was not her taste
I'm really loving the car, BW. Bit of an adjustment period coming from my much-loved 6, but I couldn't be more happy with the change. And so far -- knock on wood, please -- no problems. The only "issue" that I've had, if you can call it that, was an occasional problem when I was using an older generation (pre-video) iPod in the car. It would show the songs and playlists as "unknown" every tenth or so time I'd start the car. So, I changed to a newer iPod and haven't had the problem since. Nothing like the nonsense we all endured back in '02, eh? [Man, those were the times... ha!]

If you're considering white for your next ride, you should really look at the new Mineral White. I'm not a fan of the sparkly ivory colors that Audi and Lexus have put out, which is what I was expecting with Mineral White... but it's not that at all. It's really nice and would definitely be something I'd consider if it weren't for my Titanium Silver addiction.

Hope your wife likes the new GS. I would have preferred the E 4Matic, too, but what can you do? My wife is driving the 3er wagon and seems to love it. That is, until some a$shole sideswiped her last week in a parking lot and didn't even leave a note. Ugh.

Stay in touch! You ever make it back to Central Ohio?

BW#4 B7
09-30-2009, 09:47 PM
too much buisness travel, but not back to your neck of the woods lately. I will drop a line if ever i am in the area. in the mean time its great to see an active board and new product again. I will be lurking around getting ready to jump in.

BW#4 B7
10-30-2009, 02:51 PM
XZLR8
Do me a favor- when you get a chance go test drive a Panamera
And than letís talk.
I just came back from a test drive, they nailed it.
I know about the rear awkward quarter view, but just go sit in it than drive it and let me know your thoughts. Sound, fit, finish, handling, rear cabin, customization options. Itís got it all. With 5 months to go on my B7 I am thinking about defecting after many years and many 7ers.
There is now a real competitor.

BMR2009
10-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Do it.

I saw one smoking down the autobahn it looked tough. Porsches are bullet-proof so you know it will be tough enough. I don't know how the size comparison is, but if you've seen them both, let us know.

XZLR8
10-30-2009, 09:49 PM
XZLR8
Do me a favor- when you get a chance go test drive a Panamera
And than letís talk.
I just came back from a test drive, they nailed it.
I know about the rear awkward quarter view, but just go sit in it than drive it and let me know your thoughts. Sound, fit, finish, handling, rear cabin, customization options. Itís got it all. With 5 months to go on my B7 I am thinking about defecting after many years and many 7ers.
There is now a real competitor.
I had a chance to spend a little time with one (mostly staring and trying to figure it out), although I didn't get a chance to drive it. I'm just not sure I could get past the ungainliness of it. And the interior... well, the materials are nice (especially compared to the Cayenne, for example), but all those buttons? I don't know, man. I'm happy with my 7.

Which engine would you be considering? Isn't the Turbo over $150K?

kontir
10-30-2009, 10:13 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=199430&stc=1&d=1251825892

No previous 7 didnt have those. Do those have leds or lights 4 night time?

BW#4 B7
10-31-2009, 08:32 AM
I would consider the 4s not the turbo if i was to go for it. Agree completely with the looks but the sound and the feel once behind the wheel in a full sedan was unsurpassed.
I have not test drove the f01 yet, will do so this week.

asaseaban
10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
I would consider the 4s not the turbo if i was to go for it. Agree completely with the looks but the sound and the feel once behind the wheel in a full sedan was unsurpassed.
I have not test drove the f01 yet, will do so this week.

I test drove the Panamera Turbo today and i was blown away by how much power that car has. The seating is more of sport seats instead of luxury-comfy seats. I gotta admint it looks like a stretch Carrera S :dunno:. From using the BMW iDrive, the Panamera have tons of buttons for everything which i didn't like.

Not sure what audience Porche was targeting but i'm not sold.

IMHO S-Class is luxurious. Panamera Sporty and 7er is both luxuriuos and Sporty.

BMR2009
10-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Interesting. I haven't driven it yet, but plan on it.

LovinM6
11-01-2009, 12:41 AM
I test drove the Panamera Turbo today and i was blown away by how much power that car has. The seating is more of sport seats instead of luxury-comfy seats. I gotta admint it looks like a stretch Carrera S :dunno:. From using the BMW iDrive, the Panamera have tons of buttons for everything which i didn't like.

Not sure what audience Porche was targeting but i'm not sold.

IMHO S-Class is luxurious. Panamera Sporty and 7er is both luxuriuos and Sporty.

I am a little confused. Are we comparing a sports car to a luxury sedan? :dunno:

BW#4 B7
11-01-2009, 07:14 AM
I am new to this board and have not posted my formal intro yet, but I am a die hard 7er fan and owner currently on my 4th E-65 Ė E66. My current car is a 2008 Alpina B7.
The B7 spoiled me in regard to power and individuality.
My reason for so many 7ers with out change is nothing has filled that void of a large size luxury sport sedan. The Q-Porte kind of did but not practical as an every day driver for someone like me that puts 25k miles a year on the clock. I am not a S class fan, A8 is a little to bland and a jag does not even enter the thought process.
So I guess you can say I am thirsty for some other choice in the large sport sedan segment to be considered. The points about the looks are valid but I was one of the firsts in a 2002 E65 when there was a parade of criticism on its looks. I believe most of us like 7ers for the feel and connection to the road which lacks in most other cars in this segment. The panemera excelled in feel sound and connection. The question I have right now is would that sound and torque become annoying every day or with the family on a long drive.
I love the f01/f02 and at the end of the day it will probably be my next car. The panemera is pricey when options are added but when I finished building my f02 it comes to 112k, the panemera as I would build it comes to 118k. So its close
The panemera is not as large inside but the 4 seats are all adult seating and passengers get the thrill as much as the driver. The f02 I build would have rear power seats so that kills the middle seat as well. In regard to all the buttons I can go either way on that subject it fits the cockpit theme just as the i-drive fits the 7er contemporary theme.
BTW very nice spec on your new ride.

asaseaban
11-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I am a little confused. Are we comparing a sports car to a luxury sedan? :dunno:

I don't see where the confusion is. Is the Panamera a sports car?
According to Porche it's a luxury 4 door sedan to compete with the S-Class, and BMW 7er (no mention of A8 or Lexus LS).

The experience i got from the test drive was that the Panamera is a stretch sports car and not a luxury sedan in the class of the S-Class and the BMW 7er.

LovinM6
11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't see where the confusion is. Is the Panamera a sports car?
According to Porche it's a luxury 4 door sedan to compete with the S-Class, and BMW 7er (no mention of A8 or Lexus LS).

The experience i got from the test drive was that the Panamera is a stretch sports car and not a luxury sedan in the class of the S-Class and the BMW 7er.

Oh, I thought it was the 2 door sports car that they had added a line to. Looking at the Porsche website I understand now. Man, am I out of touch or what? I did not even know they did this as a 4 door? :eek:

Sorry!