PDA

View Full Version : More and more issues.....

TCJ
08-30-2009, 08:45 AM
700 miles--Check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer. Both tires and wheel well liners on right side AND the back seat had to be removed in search of an elusive leak in the emissions systems. Got car back 3 days later.

2600--check engine oil light came on. Dealer topped it off and said that is typical. Responses to my post on this indicate this is to be expected. First time in the 35-40 new cars that I've owned in the last 40 years that I've ever had an oil burner. BUT, this IS a BMW. (Also my first BMW. And last.)

3300 miles--electronic parking stuck in engaged position. Car totally immobilized. Dealer very good--service dept was closed but they connected me to my advisor who was on this way home. He worked me through dis-assembling the trunk to locate the emergency brake release and the "special" brake release tool. Who knew such things existed AND that BMW had planned for such a thing to happen. Taking the trunk apart in Dallas heat, dressed in a suit,--not good. Brake tool appeared to release tension on cable, but car was still mad--when car was placed in either reverse or drive, the parking brake immediately engaged and the transmission automatically shifted back into park. Called SOS, had to wait on-line for 5-10 minutes because all agents currently busy (not a good sign). Arranged to have car towed to dealership. Another first--in 35-40 new cars, never had one totally die and have to be towed. Tow company dispatcher says they pick up more dead BMW's than any other brand in the Dallas area. (She actually recommended a Lexus!!) Again, not a good thing to hear. Got an update yesterday from the dealer after the car had been in service dept for 3 days--parking brake module fried itself and must be replaced. Sounded good. Oh, but wait--part has to be ordered from Germany and car will not be repaired for two weeks.

0-3300 miles--I-Drive screen much like a roulette wheel. Never know what screen is going to come up when car is restarted. More times than not, it's not the same screen that was up when the car was stopped.

Looked at 2010 S-Class yesterday --liked it a lot. But, can't finalize trade for two weeks because BMW won't be out of service department until then. (The BMW remains a beautiful and comfortable car--the two primary reasons I purchased it. BUT, this many issues in 3,000 miles.....I just can't tolerate the aggravation and uncertainty.)

BMR2009
08-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Man, that's some bad luck with your new car. Sorry to hear of such a story.

I will concede my last 7 Series, a 2003, became a service whore after an issue with the passenger seat airbag switch, then the brain of the computer and various modules. I was very upset with the amount of work that car needed all the time. I sold it and bought a Lexus LS460L which I had for two years without a SINGLE problem, not one.

However, it was such a boring car to drive that I just couldn't stand it any longer. I sold it back to the dealership in preparation for my new 7. I pray that I'm not getting myself into another Pandoras Box of problems. If so, I'll probably just go buy a pick-up truck and call it a day.

I live in the DFW area as well so can certainly understand your frustration with the damn heat around here and car problems. If you're bent on a new Benz, get it at Parkplace, negotiate the entire deal on the phone and bid them against another dealer. They always seem to beat everyone else.

Good luck to you on your car, and keep us posted on your decision. Also, as you probably know, most problems on new cars usually raise their ugly head within the first year of ownership. I'm just saying...

ceoengr
08-30-2009, 06:00 PM
I have been lurking here for awhile soaking in all the information contemplating to trade-in my 07 LS460L for the new 7. But I believe I am going to wait another year and see if the initial bugs are fixed as I have a very low tolerence for a maintenance whore. BTW I have a neighbor with an FO1 and he is also having a heliluva time with it; he is seriously considering throwing in the towel and moving on to a MB or a Lexus.

tdwayne69
08-30-2009, 06:09 PM
+1 on waiting, I definitely want to see what issues people are having before I decide myself. I have no plans on getting rid of my MB, but I am looking at getting another highend European car.

Leslierc
08-31-2009, 04:56 PM
I've been lurking on the new 7 forum because I really like this car a lot. I'm sorry you've had so many problems with your car. I had several problems with my first 6 convertible (my first BMW as well - moved from Lexus), but I didn't lose heart because the car was so much sexier and enjoyable than the Lexus I had before, I'm now on my 3rd BMW, an M6 convertible (which I love), and am in a quandary now deciding whether my next car will be the next generation M6 or the 7. That said, I understand your frustration. With all that you've described that's happened to your car, I think I would be about at the end of my rope too. Did I mention that I've tested the new 7? My personality is such that, if I liked the car (and I do like the 7), I would probably be inclined to give BMW a chance to shake the bugs out from it. I've never experienced a first-generation vehicle, but I know that there are usually some teething problems - a friend purchased an LS460 (Lexus) and experienced a myriad of problems; some not typical to Lexus cars, like rattling, whistling at speed, and electrical problems. I won't tell you what you should do because you've got to be happy. However, I will say that you've got a stallion of a car in my opinion. For me, the only other car that even comes close, and by close I mean second, is the S8, and Audi isn't making any more of them.

Good luck to you!

Leslierc
08-31-2009, 05:08 PM
I meant to add that it's normal for BMW's to burn through oil. At was quite surprised by this as well the first time I was notified by my car to add oil. But now, I've learned to take it as a sign of a high, well performing engine!

briansbimmer
09-01-2009, 06:52 AM
I have had some issues with the F02 I picked up on May 14th. I had the telematics unit replaced. Problem surfaced about week 2 with less than 1K miles. That problem was more of an annoyance than anything else...no bluetooth connection, no voice commands, no Roadside Assist and SOS. New telematics fixed problem. Than it was same problem you described with the parking brake and auto hold feature. In my case I called Roadside Assist and I too used the tool you describe to pull up on steel post attached to cable. See the "Service Problems with F01, F02" thread. In my case manually releasing the parking brake allowed me to drive. Now...if my car would have needed to be towed that would have been entirely different and I certainly understand your frustration. Finally...I had to add a quart with less than 5K miles.

Adding the oil in my opinion is not ideal...it's synthetic oil...WTF? However, everyone from service techs to life long BMW owners report that this is normal and nothing to be concerned about. I accept that.

I still love the car and enjoy driving it. In fact...there is no other car I would have bought. My problems have been resolved quickly, got a free 5 series the three times it's been in shop. It took two visits to shop to fix telematics unit. Plus, I received a 1K gift certificate to a local portrait studio from my dealer. That does not excuse things...but certainly helped with my attitude. The car is built by humans after all.

The one regret I do have is this....if I would have known the x-drive was going to be available on the MY2010 than I would have waited. But it's not that big a deal as car will sit in garage most of winter.

Good luck with yours...I hate to hear an unhappy customer. I had a 545i prior to this 7 and I had no problems in 5 years and over 90K miles. The 5 series almost drove like the day I got it and I drove it hard.

davidc1
09-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I had to add a quart after the first few thousand miles on both of my BMWs. Didn't need to add anymore after that. So I am okay with it. However, all these problems that are being reported on the first year F01/02 is making me a bit shy about getting one. I think I'll wait a couple years before getting one. I really HATE visiting the dealer for anything other than maintenance. My '08 has been trouble free so far and I think the F01 will be the same after some time.

Wilassasin
09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
+1 on waiting, I definitely want to see what issues people are having before I decide myself. I have no plans on getting rid of my MB, but I am looking at getting another highend European car.

How do u like the S550, I plan to get one asap in 2010...Wait are u planning on trading it in for the new 7?

tdwayne69
09-03-2009, 05:20 AM
How do u like the S550, I plan to get one asap in 2010...Wait are u planning on trading it in for the new 7?

S550 is a great car, very solid. The complaint I have is that I wish it was as fast off the jump as my 7 was. As far trading it, no I'm keeping it. I want to see how reliable the new 7 is before I make a new purchase, I'm also looking at Bentley, Mazarrtti, and a few others.

harjothundal
09-15-2009, 02:29 AM
thank you for your honest review regarding the f01/02.... this is exactly what i feared with the new 7... i actually owned a beautiful e66 which i was absolutely in love with, but i couldnt deal with the constant problems and trips to the dealer... though it was under warranty and didn't cost me a dime, it really left a bad taste in my mouth... since then i switched over to mercedes, in hopes of maybe one day considering the 7 again... i miss the size of the 7, and the way it would drive/handle... however, stories like yours just affirm to me that bmw still has not figured out the reliability game, and i should save myself the headache and stay away...

s class it will be!