PDA

View Full Version : Squiking leather in 2nd gear

marcelgood
08-31-2003, 06:33 PM
The leather around my shifter makes squiking noises due to the subtle movements of the shifter and the leather rubbing. This only occurs in 2nd gear. Did anybody else experience this and how did you do away with it. Since I'm spending a lot of time in 2nd gear, it starts going on my nerves.

Thanks for any advise.

JT - '02 330i
09-06-2003, 07:38 PM
The leather around my shifter makes squiking noises due to the subtle movements of the shifter and the leather rubbing. This only occurs in 2nd gear. Did anybody else experience this and how did you do away with it. Since I'm spending a lot of time in 2nd gear, it starts going on my nerves.

Thanks for any advise.

Are you sure it's the leather. I had a similar squeak, and it turned out to be a broken plastic tab on the shifter knob. Pull off the shifter knob and see if you have four plastic tabs on the inside.

marcelgood
09-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Are you sure it's the leather. I had a similar squeak, and it turned out to be a broken plastic tab on the shifter knob. Pull off the shifter knob and see if you have four plastic tabs on the inside.

Thanks, but it is(was) the leather. I treated it with some leather softener and now it is gone.

Plaz
09-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Mine does this too. 2nd and 4th. Good to know of a fix. Thanks!