PDA

View Full Version : BFE Pictures and post-event discussion

OBS3SSION
08-31-2003, 07:28 PM
I'm surprised there is no thread already started for this... or perhaps there is but in my current (tired) state, I just missed it.

Anyway, I have over 100 pictures of the Rolex Vintage Auto Festival presented by BMW and Bimmerfest East both held at Lime Rock Park in CT. The vintage festival was very popular, and there were tons of people there. I was a bit dissapointed with BFE though. Even though I registered and was told that bimmerfest.com people could park together, ther was no designated parking. I didn't meet anyone from the boards. There was supposed to be a raffle or something, but nobody I talked to knew when anything was, there was no schedule posted, and I couldn't find anyone who was working the event. The cars were parked in such a way that it was difficult to see them all, and some couldn't get out unless others moved first. In the end, I just left at about 3-3:30 or so both bored and dissapointed.

Anyway... here's a link to the pictures I took. I'll avoid posting them all here, as that would KILL the bandwidth. This is no means a full representation of all cars there... only what caught my eye and I was able to snap through the crowds.

http://users.murtari.com/ejack/Vintage-BFE/

1-65 is the vintage car show
66-99 is Bimmerfest East
100-108 is miscellanious

RCK
08-31-2003, 07:38 PM
Thanx for the pix :thumbup:

70 & 71 are my fav's :bigpimp:

alee
08-31-2003, 08:09 PM
Nice pics. :thumbup: Sadly, I think the real Bimmerfest magic was all because of Jon Shafer. No offense to the BFE coordinators, of course... those were big shoes to fill.

ObD
08-31-2003, 08:26 PM
:throw:

Well, you took a pic of every car except mine. You did, however, unknowingly, take a pic of me sitting on the grass hillside. :rofl: ;)

http://users.murtari.com/ejack/Vintage-BFE/Vintage-BFE%20078.jpg

ChrisTO
08-31-2003, 08:29 PM
i recognize this M Z3...Bill from King City - just north of TO.

http://users.murtari.com/ejack/Vintage-BFE/Vintage-BFE%20081.jpg

http://users.murtari.com/ejack/Vintage-BFE/Vintage-BFE%20080.jpg

ObD
08-31-2003, 08:49 PM
Nice pics. :thumbup: Sadly, I think the real Bimmerfest magic was all because of Jon Shafer. No offense to the BFE coordinators, of course... those were big shoes to fill.

Please take no offense, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to show up. :rolleyes: No matter who organizes it.

The alleged troll shows up ... and where are the Moderators ... MIA :tsk:

alee
08-31-2003, 09:13 PM
Busted. :(

ObD
08-31-2003, 11:10 PM
My BFE pics, Vintage Pics will be up tomorrow

BFE 03 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=3034&ppuser=254)

Terry Kennedy
09-01-2003, 03:52 AM
I was a bit dissapointed with BFE though. Even though I registered and was told that bimmerfest.com people could park together, ther was no designated parking. I didn't meet anyone from the boards. There was supposed to be a raffle or something, but nobody I talked to knew when anything was, there was no schedule posted, and I couldn't find anyone who was working the event. The cars were parked in such a way that it was difficult to see them all, and some couldn't get out unless others moved first. In the end, I just left at about 3-3:30 or so both bored and dissapointed.I got there around 8 in the morning and there was mass confusion. Most of the mass (and confusion) was from the folks running the show; by the time people started rolling in regularly at any sort of pace the organizers mostly got straightened out, at least as to where we were to park (when I arrived, they just said "pull over here and we'll arrange you later"). There were also hastily-arranged radio conferences to discuss who and where they were charging for extra people in cars.

I was unhappy that they had just cut the grass, either the night before or very early in the morning. Those of us who got there before the morning dew burned off got grass all over our cars and tires and spent a good deal of time picking it all off.

By pure chance, I wound up across from ObD. They tried scolding me for not coming with my group, and I said "Last I heard, you were going to mail us info and all I got was the 'we messed up getting the tickets mailed' email". That was the end of that.

I was a bit confused by the judging - there seemed to be a few people with clipboards looking at random cars and making occasional notes. Perhaps this is the norm for BFE, though I'm used to actual scoring with the opportunity to see our own tally sheets to see how we might do better in the future.

The raffle was held just before the awards ceremony at around 5 PM. It got off to a slow start as the first 4 or so numbers picked weren't present. Large groups had pulled out by 4 PM or so, with some leaving by 2 PM.

I did have a number of people come by, interested in the wagon. I believe I was the only wagon showing, though there was a green wagon from Canada parked under the tree. If I remember correctly, they were just being spectators.

Too bad there wasn't a "best wagon" category - I'd have been a shoe-in :D

ObD
09-01-2003, 05:21 AM
Vintage Pics (http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=3033&ppuser=254)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/data/3033/254Pict0023-med.jpg?2261

OBS3SSION
09-01-2003, 05:29 AM
With all the chaos and people rolling out early, how did they do the awards? I'm guessing there was a good chance of people "winning" who were no longer there.

My car is mostly stock, except for tint, clear corners and a few accessory catalog items. So they judged me in concourse. I happened to be in the car when the judge came buy. Nice guy. He asked me a couple questions, I told him I wasn't really competative, he looked at the front of my car and popped my hood then moved on. Don't know how well I did, but it couldn't have been very. Wonder if I had a chance though if everyone else left? :rofl:

Oh, what was given at the raffle? Wondering if I should kick myself for not staying.

Besides the raffle and car show... was there anything else? I guess I was setting my hopes up pretty high for the show after hearing about Jon's Bimmerfest out west.

ObD
09-01-2003, 06:22 AM
With all the chaos and people rolling out early, how did they do the awards? I'm guessing there was a good chance of people "winning" who were no longer there.

My car is mostly stock, except for tint, clear corners and a few accessory catalog items. So they judged me in concourse. I happened to be in the car when the judge came buy. Nice guy. He asked me a couple questions, I told him I wasn't really competative, he looked at the front of my car and popped my hood then moved on. Don't know how well I did, but it couldn't have been very. Wonder if I had a chance though if everyone else left? :rofl:

Oh, what was given at the raffle? Wondering if I should kick myself for not staying.

Besides the raffle and car show... was there anything else? I guess I was setting my hopes up pretty high for the show after hearing about Jon's Bimmerfest out west.

A couple of people were absent for their awards, most were there.

Raffle prizes were BFP intakes, Rogue gift certificates, cleaning products, blanket, and duffel bag, IIRC. They drew a lot of numbers. High ones which nobody claimed. Seems the early arrivers were the only ones left. Go figure.

Nothing else besides the raffle and car show.

I actually enjoyed it. Of course I spent most of my time at the Vintage Section and walking around enjoying the beautiful weather.

Re: Bimmerfest

Since only 3 Bimmerfest members showed up, it's not like we were a major marketing target. It's not at a dealership, body kits were the majority, and it was held on a holiday weekend, so it was about what I expected. Since Bimmerfest was a sponsor I'd expected to see at least a banner. Given the poor turnout from the 'Fest however, even that might have been embarrassing. People need to come out of their comfort zone like the three of us did. Hopefully it will motivate some others for next year.

tgravo2
09-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Nice pics, looks like it was fun :thumbup: