PDA

View Full Version : I BEG OF YOU, HELP ME: Heater Core location and Removal/instalation

GCe21
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I just bought my 1983 320i, let me start by saying..holy **** I love this car. it's my first bimmer and I can't even express my love for it in words...or actions. anyone who worships these fine automobiles knows what i'm talking about..but i digress, where was i>? oh ya...Heater core

I'm no machanic...meaning I pay for **** to be done on my car(s), but in ownership of such a piece of art, I trust no one to work on my baby.

So my heater core needs replaced and i dont even know where to start. I have some people and tools at my disposal for help and such..i just need to know where to start...my repair manual isnt exactly detailed but i have a Haynes in the mail.

If anyone has some experience (which im sure 'YOU' do) please leave any bit of info or helping comments

we're all share a common love and goal. so, Please, help me. haha

and I'm lookin' around for a thread with this information but i figured posting a new one couldnt hurt.

Lanc3r
09-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Its behind and below the stereo in the center console. You have to remove pretty much all the center console to even see it.

GCe21
09-02-2009, 07:35 PM
is any under-the-hood work required?

Lanc3r
09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
is any under-the-hood work required?

No.

GCe21
09-04-2009, 10:42 AM
thanks much, although today I saw that my ac knob was only turned to "MIN" and not to off, upon turning it off hot air blew. but after warming up and driving for about 5 miles then sittin at idle for around 7 minutes it started to get hot..not buried in red, but not a normal runnin temp. top hose looked fine, coolant levels were fine. so i guess all thats left is to change/test the thermostat, or replace a water pump!

matilda320i
01-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I love when that happens. I named my car Matilda for the soul purpose she was like magic. The AC went out one summer here in Tucson.. and I didn't realize until after the summer, that it was a fuse that needed to be replaced.. AMAZING and inexpensive.
I replaced the water pump and thermostat two years ago by myself the hardest part about doing it yourself is making sure the gasket stays on straight.

Here's a link to the mechanics manual. Its way better than Haynes.
http://files.me.com/spirited_dream/81j4q2