PDA

View Full Version : ?? about buying car in Massachusetts

kyleschultz
09-02-2003, 05:22 PM
My daughter is a student at Boston University. She went without her car the first year but I've promised she can have a car next spring as she will be interning in Boston next summer. Rather than spend $1000 shipping her car to Boston from Dallas plus paying for insurance for the next 7 or 8 months (another $1200), I'm thinking of selling her car here and buying her something up there when the time comes.

Is there some sort of sales tax on cars in Massachusetts and if so, what is the percentage. Do trade-ins reduce the amount of sales tax? One possiblilty would be a used 3-series. Can anyone recommend a BMW dealer in the Boston area? Also, do dealers routinely install engine block heaters in Boston like they do in the uppper Midwest? Thanks for your help!

SARAFIL
09-02-2003, 05:33 PM
My daughter is a student at Boston University. She went without her car the first year but I've promised she can have a car next spring as she will be interning in Boston next summer. Rather than spend $1000 shipping her car to Boston from Dallas plus paying for insurance for the next 7 or 8 months (another $1200), I'm thinking of selling her car here and buying her something up there when the time comes.

Is there some sort of sales tax on cars in Massachusetts and if so, what is the percentage. Do trade-ins reduce the amount of sales tax? One possiblilty would be a used 3-series. Can anyone recommend a BMW dealer in the Boston area? Also, do dealers routinely install engine block heaters in Boston like they do in the uppper Midwest? Thanks for your help!

MA sales tax is 5% of the purchase price.

I might be a bit biased, but I have plenty of recommendations. ;) Summer's over and I'm back at school and not at work, but please let me know if I can offer assistance. I can refer you and her to some of the best that I know if.

Tim330Cic
09-02-2003, 05:35 PM

There is a 5% sales tax here in Mass. It is based on the price listed on the "Bill Of Sale" so the deduction of a trade-in depends on who writes the BOS. Typically we do not need engine block heaters.

I used a dealer a bit south of here in Rhode Island so I can't really recommend a dealer. There are several in the area that other people on this board have used. "Norwood Gallery", "Foreign Motors West", ...

FireFly
09-02-2003, 07:02 PM
There is a 5% sales tax here in Mass. It is based on the price listed on the "Bill Of Sale" so the deduction of a trade-in depends on who writes the BOS. Typically we do not need engine block heaters.

I used a dealer a bit south of here in Rhode Island so I can't really recommend a dealer. There are several in the area that other people on this board have used. "Norwood Gallery", "Foreign Motors West", ...

Have your daughter take up residence in lovely NH - no sales tax, no income tax, no vehicle excise tax... :) That's why we call it the live free or die state. Best part is, I purchased my new BMW from Wagner BMW in Springfield, MA (highly recommend them) and I did not pay sales tax. Because I am a NH resident and "took delivery in NH" I was not required to pay sales tax. Same is true when we buy items from a catalog or online- no tax.

Good luck with your options- BC is a GREAT school btw. Hope she has good housing- not sure if you've been watching the news on this issue or not.

YKK
09-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Aside from the tax answer ... here's some tidbits about the dealers around here:

Foreign Motors West: Great Service, hands down. New or Used car buying, I would keep away from. They really jack up prices of their cars, I assume it's because FMW is next to some of MA's more affluent communities (Weston, Wellesley, Newton, Dover etc...)

Herb Chambers Boston: Horrible service, the worse i've ever seen and it's not just me, my bro used to work there - he wouldn't take any cars or recommend service there. Purchase prices are hit or miss. I ended up paying $1200 over invoice for my 325i last year, which was a good deal, but i've heard college students are taken for a ride if not cautious, doesn't help that HCB is right on BU's western campus.

BMW of Peabody: Heard service was good, bit it's really out of the way. Purchase experience was actually pretty good from our CEO who bought there. When I was researching, they were very helpful and were not trying to push a deal out the door.

Wagner BMW: Don't know about service, but I know a lot of people who have purchased BMW's from there with great success.

BTW - I'm a BU alum, pretty good school, if you don't mind all the BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsches running around campus. I had fun!

FormulaPro
09-03-2003, 04:19 AM
In Massachusetts, the sales tax is collected at the Registry of Motor Vehicles. If you register your daughters car back in TX...you won't pay sales tax at all.

Keith M.

OBS3SSION
09-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Most dealerships will write the BOS with the purchase price less the trade in. So you pay 5% tax on the difference. However, if you sell the car in TX, that won't help you.

Regarding Wagner... they have the main dealership(s) out in the eastern part of the state. I purchased my car from the Wagner "annex" dealership in West Springfield. I took PC delivery and have yet to be serviced, so I can't say much for anything besides the sales and parts counter, which are good. I got a fair deal on my car, but not as good as some people report. Parts gives me list price less my BMW CCA discount, unlike some dealerships that mark up stuff.

I've never had a need for an engine block heater... even on my diesel. And I think western MA is colder and gets more snow (away from coast.)

vern
09-03-2003, 06:11 AM

as far as dealers, go to dealerrater.com the webmaster is from the Boston area and he should be able to help you.
Good luck
vern

cenotaph
09-03-2003, 08:12 AM
Wagner BMW: Don't know about service, but I know a lot of people who have purchased BMW's from there with great success.

I bought my car from Wagner in Boylston. They're currently building a new building for the BMW dealership in Shrewsbury. I've had very good experiences with the service department (including them fixing my car in about 2 hours the Friday before Christmas one year since they were closing early and wouldn't be open again until after Christmas). When I bought my car, I didn't get a huge deal, but I didn't really expect one since the 330 had just be introduced and the economy was still riding high.

The Roadstergal
09-03-2003, 08:40 AM
I've never had a need for an engine block heater... even on my diesel. And I think western MA is colder and gets more snow (away from coast.)

They regularly put them on in the upper midwest? They didn't and don't, AFAIK, in Chicago or Chicagoland, 45 bleow and thereabouts in the dead of winter...

joea9146
09-04-2003, 04:04 AM
No Engine Block heater is needed, Just a good Battery.....
But heated seats are a very nice option to have..... :)