PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to My New Car Smell

tejenkins
09-02-2003, 07:00 PM
For the last three weeks, the great new car smell has been replaced with a foul, acid smell. This is especially noticable after the car has been parked in the sun. I've read the posts regarding the A/C mildew smell, but this seems different-- the car is new and the smell is less mildewy and more "rotten fish" (per my wife).

Any ideas?

Thanks

TerryY
09-02-2003, 07:49 PM
The evaporator is trapping water and algae and or mold is growing in it after the car sits and the water warms up. The rotten fish smell is common with swamp coolers in the southwest after they have sat for a day or so.

Different algae and molds colonies have unique smells when disturbed.

Airborne spores are the initial infection and whatever it is treated with need a biocidal component or it will be right back again.

tgravo2
09-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Griot's Leather Scent, smells great :D

AndDown
09-02-2003, 08:20 PM
For the last three weeks, the great new car smell has been replaced with a foul, acid smell. This is especially noticable after the car has been parked in the sun. I've read the posts regarding the A/C mildew smell, but this seems different-- the car is new and the smell is less mildewy and more "rotten fish" (per my wife).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Use a mildewcide aerosol and spray into the air intake. I remove the airfilter first so I can spray directly into the intake. You can use Wurth's from autopart stores or "Clean Air" from Autosport. Also some recommend turning off the A/C (but leave the blower on) about a mile or so before destination to allow for evaporation of buildup condensation.

AndDown
09-02-2003, 08:23 PM

Griot's Leather Scent + leatherette = winning combo!!! :rofl: :sabrina:

tgravo2
09-02-2003, 08:32 PM

hey, it works :D

JetBlack330i
09-02-2003, 09:12 PM

Any ideas?

Thanks
Check under the seats for a forgotten (probably empty) lunchbox.

AndDown
09-02-2003, 09:51 PM
hey, it works :D

Shhh - that's how I get my passengers to think I have the real stuff :rofl: :D

SONET
09-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Use a mildewcide aerosol and spray into the air intake. I remove the airfilter first so I can spray directly into the intake. You can use Wurth's from autopart stores or "Clean Air" from Autosport. Also some recommend turning off the A/C (but leave the blower on) about a mile or so before destination to allow for evaporation of buildup condensation.
It might be important to clairify that you mean the intake ducts for the <i>cabin</i> (which are located under the hood vents by the windshield), not the motor.

Hey, you never know. :eek: :lmao:

--SONET

PABS
09-03-2003, 05:48 AM
Very simple..the car is no longer new...

e46shift
09-04-2003, 08:09 AM
rotten fish could be dead hookers in the trunk... or maybe somebody needs to close their legs

try running the heat in case there is any a/c mildew
goodluck

m3again
09-04-2003, 05:19 PM

I love Griots products and I own almost every car care thing they've made, but the leather scent just doesn't work for me. It smells weird, not like leather at all.

How do you apply it?

tejenkins
09-12-2003, 07:11 PM
OK, so I finally get an appointment on the day when my dealer has "THE MACHINE" in to clean out some box that allows all the condensation to drip and build to a mildewy muk. I get my car back tonight and it smells like they cleaned the carpets with that sprinkle on vacuum off powder. YUCK. It smells my my kids' bedroom after changing a diaper.

remington
09-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Agreed! works great for me.

remington
09-13-2003, 02:14 PM
OK, so I finally get an appointment on the day when my dealer has "THE MACHINE" in to clean out some box that allows all the condensation to drip and build to a mildewy muk. I get my car back tonight and it smells like they cleaned the carpets with that sprinkle on vacuum off powder. YUCK. It smells my my kids' bedroom after changing a diaper.

Dude, you seem kind of hard to please. Does it still stink like dead fish? Seems like carpet cleaner smell would be a huge improvement for you.

tgravo2
09-13-2003, 02:47 PM
I love Griots products and I own almost every car care thing they've made, but the leather scent just doesn't work for me. It smells weird, not like leather at all.

How do you apply it?

I squirt it into all 4 floor mats, sometimes, I'll give the trunk a squirt :D

Bobby 325i
09-13-2003, 02:59 PM
I squirt it into all 4 floor mats, sometimes, I'll give the trunk a squirt :D

Squirt?:rofl::bustingup:bustingup

I hope you don't leave any stains:eeps::eek::D

tgravo2
09-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Squirt?:rofl::bustingup:bustingup

I hope you don't leave any stains:eeps::eek::D

:rofl: I figured somebody would like the use of that verb. :D

Bobby 325i
09-13-2003, 03:08 PM
:rofl: I figured somebody would like the use of that verb. :D
:rofl::D:thumbup:

pony_trekker
09-13-2003, 04:25 PM

Any ideas?

Thanks
Smells reaaaally foul, like rotten eggs, about 1 hour after I take my son through the Taco Bell drive through. : puke:

Plaz
09-13-2003, 05:20 PM

Make sure there's no fouled sippy-cup of milk in the car, under a seat or something. Nothing stanks up a car quicker than spoiled milk. Bleech.

tejenkins
09-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Dude, you seem kind of hard to please. Does it still stink like dead fish? Seems like carpet cleaner smell would be a huge improvement for you.

You are entitled to your opinion, but this is not a good situation for a 6 week old car. The first smell was so bad the service tech got a look on his face like he was going to get sick when he stuck his head in my car.

Now the smell is just an overpowering powdery/disinfectent type smell. You know what it's like being trapped in a small room with someone wearing too much perfume -- how it kind of makes it hard to breath? While not perfume smelling, the result is the same.

I almost seems as if they sprayed some filter with "powder fresh" lysol and put it in the HVAC system. Whenever the blower is on, the smell just blows into the car.

I need to go back this week to have them replace a computer so I'll see if I can get it fixed then.