PDA

View Full Version : I know you all know the aswer, but...

rost12
12-28-2001, 06:13 AM
But what can I do about the all-to-lively steering wheel on my 2001 325i ?

On the highway at my cruising speed of 120 km\h it's sometimes even scary :(

Although yesterday when I was driving east - I was cursing all the way,
but later, going west, steering felt kinda ok. Maybe that's the magnetic fields acting up ? :)

Anyhow...will putting a pillow over the wheel help ?
Choke it to death, so it doesn't move as much? :rolleyes:

On a side note - could playing with air pressure in front wheels help?

nate
12-28-2001, 06:17 AM
I don't think anything can be done for canadians :( If you have sports tires, they tend to wander on uneven roads though, mine do.

rost12
12-28-2001, 06:21 AM
well, I got the SP package with 17' rims, but right now I'm running Pirelli snowsport 210's, I woudn't consider them to be sport :)

My father's audi a6 with it's quattro rules highways, so far :(

TD
12-28-2001, 06:36 AM
Some Canadians has persuaded BMW CA to provide a retrofit, but the numbers are small.

Yes, tire pressure will help but it certainly won't make a big enough difference for you to be truly happy.

I'd inquire as to what the price of parts and labor is to swap racks with a 323/325 rack. Even $2K is worth it, IMO.

jeffmc
12-28-2001, 06:41 AM
I bought a pre-owned (used) 2000 323i in October. Can I call my local dealer (not where I got the car from) to see if the steering retrofit has been done? Where can I find more info? My wheel seems kind of crazy at times on the highway at high speeds and on small roads only going like 40 mph.

Thanks!

TD
12-28-2001, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by jeffmc
I bought a pre-owned (used) 2000 323i in October. Can I call my local dealer (not where I got the car from) to see if the steering retrofit has been done? Where can I find more info? My wheel seems kind of crazy at times on the highway at high speeds and on small roads only going like 40 mph.

Thanks!

Check inside your drivers side door jamb and tell us your build date (MM/YY). Only 06/00 to 08/00 production 323s had the overboosted steering. If your car was not built in that window (and the odds are that it was not), then something else is wrong and you should take it in to your dealer and have them check it out.

But, other than June-August 2000 production 2000 model year 323s, this problem is confined to 2001 model year E46s.

JPinTO
12-28-2001, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by rost12
[B]well, I got the SP package with 17' rims, but right now I'm running Pirelli snowsport 210's, I woudn't consider them to be sport :)

When you are running with snow tires, anything goes. Your cornering is crappy and the tracking is poor because of the soft compound and soft sidewalls.

I have 17" M68 wheels (with Dunlop SP8080E) and they are fine on Toronto highways. One of the reasons I still have the summers on in late December is because I hate the poor performance of snow tires in non-snow conditions (which is 98% of the time in Toronto).

rost12
12-28-2001, 07:09 AM
JPinTO - totaly agree about absence of snow in Toronto, but have you been in Waterloo lately, for example ? :) Nigara-on-the-lakes ?
It's Lapland over there! :)

TD - hmm...I might just try that :)

ps. damn, all that pic smilies make my posts look waaay to cheerful :)

jeffmc
12-28-2001, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by TD

Check inside your drivers side door jamb and tell us your build date (MM/YY).

Build Date = 12/99

I was drivining a Grand Prix before so maybe it just feels different because it is a lighter car and the wind blows all the time here in Kansas.

Recently had BMW Dealer rotate and balance tires and now front tires don't have as much wear on them, maybe I need to get it aligned.

Thanks!

TD
12-28-2001, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by jeffmc

Build Date = 12/99

I was drivining a Grand Prix before so maybe it just feels different because it is a lighter car and the wind blows all the time here in Kansas.

Recently had BMW Dealer rotate and balance tires and now front tires don't have as much wear on them, maybe I need to get it aligned.

Thanks!

If it's 12/99, then you have the steering everyone else wants.

Yes, check your alignment and your tire pressure. But this may also be a factor of you coming from a FWD car, which always feel heavier up front because if you turn while applying power, you're also fighting the engine which tries to turn the wheels to straight ahead. Plus, FWD is VERY nose-heavy. So if you're acclimated to a FWD vehicle, the dynamics of a perfectly balanced RWD sedan may seem odd.

jeffmc
12-28-2001, 07:32 AM
Thanks!