PDA

View Full Version : A/C removal 83' 320i

GCe21
09-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I removed the compressor and condesor...i was reading some stuff about wiring a switch for the AUX fan..is this really neccessary or will it not work at all if i dont?

E36Dinan_801
09-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Well if you took out the condenser and such you shouldnt need the aux fan at all. Unless your keeping it as a fan for the radiator which would help on cooling (if you really need it that is.) I would imagine that if you switched on your AC in the cabin the aux fan would still come on. Just go out and try it real quick. If it doesnt work wire up a switch. But if your gonna delete the rest of the ac stuff might as well get rid of the fan as well

GCe21
09-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I figured the fan coulndt hurt with cooling...i just wasnt sure if the car would overheat WITHOUT it

E36Dinan_801
09-08-2009, 12:41 AM
well generally speaking the aux fan that went onto the ac condenser cools just the condenser its self, not the radiator or cooling system. So it should be just fine without it, but I dont see how it would hurt to leave it on there.

GCe21
09-08-2009, 09:59 AM
i wondered because, the auxillary fan typically comes on when the car is at a stand still....but we'll see how it all works out.
thanks for your imput.

E36Dinan_801
09-08-2009, 09:59 PM
It would seem reasonable for it to come on while at a stand still because as your driving air is passing through the condenser and the radiator and when you stop so does the air(obviously) lol. So the aux fan kicks on to simulate this while at a stand still. If your super worried about overheating and want to get rid of the fan look into a lower degree thermostat possibly to compensate ya know??

GCe21
09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I've considered all the possibilities, such as low temp. thermostat, lower temp radiator switches and such, hell i even spent an entire day scraping gunk and years of crudd off my engine (i just bought the car), it would seem years of buildup would almost form a coat if you will keeping heat in..but to be honest i think it was my water pump which is now replaced..all to do now is a valve adjustment adn a full fluid flush and change

thanks for your imput man, i appreciate it more than you know.

BMW! SUPERIOR AUTO!

E36Dinan_801
09-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Hey man no problem. I have been checkin out this thread and noticed its kinda dead. So i figured I would try and help as much as possible.