PDA

View Full Version : 7 Series Winter Wheel & Tire Package

Guards Red Car
09-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Does BMW offer a complete Winter Wheel & Tire package for the 7 Series?? I may need to take a deep breath before seeing the cost! I would assume it will be a RunFlat set up. TireRack does not list a complete RunFlat winter setup for the 7 Series.

MLPhelps
09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
There is only one package available at this time. 18-inch rim style 234 with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D run flats. The package is around $3300 and comes in box with TPMS installed, mounted, balanced.

E92-Lighting
09-18-2009, 08:23 AM
we are fully stocked with BERU TPMS, save from the dealer!

http://www.e92-lighting.com/images/products/beru%20tpms%20for%20bmw%204%20valve%20stem.jpg

Guards Red Car
10-17-2009, 04:34 AM
There is only one package available at this time. 18-inch rim style 234 with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D run flats. The package is around $3300 and comes in box with TPMS installed, mounted, balanced.

Can you tell me how to find this info -- I checked BMW website to no avail -- TireRack.com does NOT list any Run Flat Winter Wheel/Tire setups

I have been in contact with BMW USA - they told me that their engineers advise RunFlat Winter Wheel/Tire setup on F01 and F02 as the entire suspension, handling dynamics...are all based upon RunFlat tires

Thanks

CT7er
10-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Just contact your BMW Center's parts department and they will have the exact set up described for the F01/F02 (on 18" wheels only). You'll pay about $3,000 for the package. It takes about 10 days for delivery as most BMW Centers do not carry it in stock.

MLPhelps
10-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Bavarian Auto also has winter wheel/tire package using BMW OEM rim and non-run-flat tire.

SleepTight
10-19-2009, 07:00 AM
I have been in contact with BMW USA - they told me that their engineers advise RunFlat Winter Wheel/Tire setup on F01 and F02 as the entire suspension, handling dynamics...are all based upon RunFlat tires

Thanks

This strikes me as BMW USA blowing smoke. How do you optimize a suspension and handling dynamics for run flats as opposed to conventional tires? Do run flats have stiffer sidewalls or something?

A lot of us in the 5 Series forums who live in colder climates have replaced our summer performance run flats with all-season Bridgestone Potenzas and couldn't be happier.

Guards Red Car
10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=SleepTight;4611311]This strikes me as BMW USA blowing smoke. How do you optimize a suspension and handling dynamics for run flats as opposed to conventional tires? Do run flats have stiffer sidewalls or something?

I was under the impression that Run Flats do indeed have a much stiffer sidewall and therefore this could throw off the suspension calibrations....

SleepTight
10-19-2009, 01:27 PM
You got me curious, so I did some research and the thing that makes run flats able to run flat is, indeed, stiffer sidewalls. That being said, I wouldn't be so concerned about suspension optimization on a set of winter tires which are obviously optimized for traction rather than performance. You're going to have a lot more choices for winter tires if you consider conventional tires and even if you go with winter run flats, you're never going to match the performance of your summer run flats.