PDA

View Full Version : British<=>American equivalent automotive terms

·clyde·
09-04-2003, 05:51 AM
Inspired by another thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39682)...

For a list of British<=>American equivalent automotive terms click here (http://www.team.net/sol/solterms.html).

TD
09-04-2003, 06:37 AM
I'm digging the term "Shooting Brake". I'll have to use it if we get a wagon.

JST
09-04-2003, 06:42 AM
I'm digging the term "Shooting Brake". I'll have to use it if we get a wagon.

But you don't have any guns. To use that term, I think you actually have to use the vehicle to hunt pheasant.

FWIW, I remember reading somewhere that an optional accessory on the LR Disco is a floor mounted gun safe.

TD
09-04-2003, 06:55 AM
But you don't have any guns. To use that term, I think you actually have to use the vehicle to hunt pheasant.

FWIW, I remember reading somewhere that an optional accessory on the LR Disco is a floor mounted gun safe.
In British English, is the term Estate applied to ALL wagons or just "high-end" wagons? In Germany, are all wagons Tourings or just high-end ones?

In other words, is a VW Passat wagon ever called a Touring?

·clyde·
09-04-2003, 07:11 AM
In British English, is the term Estate applied to ALL wagons or just "high-end" wagons?

Is a £12,500 1.6 Focus (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/roadtest/ae_roadtest_story.php?id=33420) high end? :D

TD
09-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Is a £12,500 1.6 Focus (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/roadtest/ae_roadtest_story.php?id=33420) high end? :D
Cool.

Now how about Germany? I want to cover my bases in case we end up with a Passat.

OBS3SSION
09-04-2003, 08:10 AM
Cool.

Now how about Germany? I want to cover my bases in case we end up with a Passat.

In all the Passat and VW clubs, we call them Variants.

The Roadstergal
09-04-2003, 08:23 AM
I like saloon. :)

But a saloon is a "2 or 4 door sedan"? What's the difference between a 2-door sedan and a coupe?

JST
09-04-2003, 08:28 AM

But a saloon is a "2 or 4 door sedan"? What's the difference between a 2-door sedan and a coupe?

Whether a car is a sedan or a coupe depends not on how many doors it has, but rather how much space it has in the back seat, believe it or not. The M3/330Ci is an example of a two-door sedan.

What do you call a chicken coop with 4 doors?

A chicken sedan.

Har har.

LMC
09-04-2003, 08:53 AM
VW "Variants", Mercedes "T-Modells" and BMW "Tourings"...

Plus Opel "Caravan", Accord "Tourer", Peugeot "SW" and Audi "Avant"

Man, those Germans are tough to nail down. :confused:

Where's Alex?

Kaz
09-04-2003, 09:33 AM

I also thought a 'Shooting Brake' had to be a 2-door wagon like the Shooting Brake that Aston Martin made some time back... Or maybe a Ford Pinto... :rofl:

Jetfire
09-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Whether a car is a sedan or a coupe depends not on how many doors it has, but rather how much space it has in the back seat, believe it or not. The M3/330Ci is an example of a two-door sedan.

Actually, this definition (although it's correct) seems to be evolving. Lately the term "coupe" is being applied more and more often simply to cars with two doors, whether they're actually two-door sedans or not. It's becoming a matter of semantics, although I prefer the "classic" definition myself.

Maverick
09-04-2003, 12:18 PM

I was told that a saloon has side windows past the back door. Therefore more room in the back seat. Where as sedan did not i.e. 3er or 5er. I can't think of an american saloon example off the top of my head. I know in Australia, Ford make a "Fairlane" which is a saloon. I suppose it's longer wheel base cars. I'm sure Caddy used to have an example of this.