PDA

View Full Version : $2000 bill... what a rip.

Artslinger
09-04-2003, 06:38 AM
I read this over at fanatics. This poor guy owns a 2001 325ci and he ends up with a bill for 2 grand!

Here is my take:

Inspection II - The price at most for this at the dealer should be $400, and even then for what you get it is a big time rip. Probably could get this done for $200 - $300 tops at an independent shop.

Front rotors/pads - Independent shop could do this for easily for $200. And for a DIY, parts are about $100 est.

Replace control arm bushings - Have no idea how much a dealer charges for this but I bet its a bundle. Again independent would do it for about 2/3 the price of a dealer. This bushing problem sucks BMW.

Replace rear shocks and mounts - Well what are going to do about this, I hear the shocks only last 50,000 tops and the mounts might as well be done at the same time. Maybe DIY for the average guy, if not buy the shocks yourself and have anyone but the dealer do the work for about 1/2 the price.

Coolant and brake flush - No brainier DYI, or any shop will do this for coolant $40-60, brake flush $40.

Moral of the story... after the warranty runs out stay away from the dealer.

------------------------------------------------

"60k mile service..... ouch
So I brought my car in for what I thought would just be the Inspection II service (car is at 59,614), but by the time I walked out the door, the total was $2000.

Service included: Inspection II, replace front rotors/pads, replace control arm bushings, replace rear shocks and mounts, coolant and brake flush.

I've only had the car for 5,000 miles, and I think I've spent close to $3000 just fixing the damn thing! I had all my service done at Avus Autosport in Glendale, and apparently, this is all normal wear-and-tear. I was just wondering what if I could get some input from the rest of you with higher-mileage cars on what to expect from here on out?"

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108709

TD
09-04-2003, 06:43 AM
They saw a sucker and promptly separated him from $2K. An informed owner would have balked. At least locally, the law states that the shop (incl. dealers) must call and receive at least verbal authorization before performing any additional work. They must also give an dollar estimate for each additional piece fo work. All you have to do is say no.

And, yes, parts for brakes run ~$100 an axle (for non-M brakes) and the rear shock mounts go for about $70. All aer VERY easy to DIY.

BTW, Inspection II on an E46 is surprising light on actual work. The Inspection II used to involve a lot of stuff and was priced accordingly. Many dealers have maintained the price at what it was but now only perform the very minimal work required. It is a HUEG ripoff at most dealers. It would be cheaper to "order" the services a la carte.

in_d_haus
09-04-2003, 07:32 AM
What TD said. I do all my own Insp I & IIs

elbert
09-04-2003, 02:20 PM
I read this over at fanatics. This poor guy owns a 2001 325ci and he ends up with a bill for 2 grand!

Replace control arm bushings - Have no idea how much a dealer charges for this but I bet its a bundle. Again independent would do it for about 2/3 the price of a dealer. This bushing problem sucks BMW.

I'm sure this accounts for a significant (at least 50%) of the bill, especially if they replaced the control arms as well.

Artslinger
09-04-2003, 03:34 PM
I'm sure this accounts for a significant (at least 50%) of the bill, especially if they replaced the control arms as well.

$1,000 dollars to replace the control arm bushings!? Wow that seems kind of steep, are they labor intensive to replace? If so then a good reason not have a dealer do this repair out of warranty.

SARAFIL
09-04-2003, 03:41 PM
$1,000 dollars to replace the control arm bushings!? Wow that seems kind of steep, are they labor intensive to replace? If so then a good reason not have a dealer do this repair out of warranty.

Just under $1000 is about the going price for that these days. The parts aren't cheap, and there's a good amount of labor, too. Sorry I don't remember the specifics, but that number is stuck in my head, so I can assure you it is the common going rate.

Add $450ish for brakes, $400 for Inspection 2, $99 for a brake flush and $60 for a coolant flush, and we can come to $2000 easily. We haven't even taken in to account the rear shock work he had done.

So, as you can see, he wasn't really "screwed" out of $2000. He did do a substantial amount of repairs in that one visit. While he could likely have it done for less at an independent, it probably wouldn't have been as cheap as you think for all that stuff.

SARAFIL
09-04-2003, 03:42 PM

Oh, and remember this. They are replacing both control arms, NOT the bushings. Clearly, the control arms cost much more than a set of bushings.

Raffi
09-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Oh, and remember this. They are replacing both control arms, NOT the bushings. Clearly, the control arms cost much more than a set of bushings.

Actually, when my control arm bushings went bad, only the bushings were replaced, not the control arms, as the ones on my car are still the old, cosmoline and dirt encrusted ones. The separate part numbers for the replaceable bushings are 31 12 6 757 623. Those are the bushings closest to the firewall. I don't know how much they would cost, though.

Artslinger
09-04-2003, 04:59 PM
All the repairs this guy had done were Maintenance related except for the bushings. Welcome to the world of BMW, I've had many cars and never came anywhere near a $2,000 service bill. If I want to keep my car for a 2-4 more years I'm definitely looking into other alternatives then the dealer for service. I will if possible DIY, or use a independent shop. This bushing problem has me worried, from now on I'm going to check for wear on my winter/summer tire changes.