PDA

View Full Version : 330 Making Weird Noise- Help!

atlanta330i
09-04-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm sure this will be a poor description but hopefully someone can help. I park on the 5th floor of my parking garage and I started noticing a strange sound, almost like coins rattling but raspier, coming from the front end. The sound seemed to come after I rounded a corner in the garage and then started acclerating again.

Today, I was out running an errand and had my windows down and radio off and I noticed the sound almost everytime I accelerated and also after making a turn when the steering wheel returned to the center position.

To be clear, this not a thumping or clunking sound but a raspy shaky type of sound. Any ideas?

WDC330i
09-05-2003, 06:30 AM
I've got the same noise on my 2002 330i SP. It's especially noticeable in parking garages and when the car is in 2nd gear. First gear is quieter. Dealer could not replicate, of course (because you hear it best in an enclosed space).

I've chosen not to worry about it because there are no performance issues with the car.

The HACK
09-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Disable your exhaust flap and see if the sound goes away. Search for exhaust flap or 330 exhaust and you'll find more than enough information on how this is done.

hockeynut
09-05-2003, 11:40 AM
I've got the same noise on my 2002 330i SP. It's especially noticeable in parking garages and when the car is in 2nd gear. First gear is quieter. Dealer could not replicate, of course (because you hear it best in an enclosed space).

I've chosen not to worry about it because there are no performance issues with the car.

Mine made a similar noise in our parking garage - turned out to be a busted retaining clip on the brake caliper. 3 days at the dealer waiting for the part (but at least they had a 330i as a loaner).

I didn't feel anything either, just a noise that was really audible in the enclosed parking garage.

The other solution: park outside :)