PDA

View Full Version : About to pull the trigger - Pull ahead - 550 comparo

idworkin
09-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi All -

I've been following the threads for a bit here, and have found what appears to be a great deal on an 09 750i at a local dealer (details on that later) with the pull-ahead applying to my 08 550 (more on that later as well). I just have one nagging hesitation: the size of the car.

I'm driving an 08 550 right now -- great car. Quick, agile, fun to drive. I'm looking at the 750 because I like the added luxury that you get and (occasionally) the 550 ride could be a bit hard. I don't really need the added 4 or so inches that the 750 gives size-wise. My concern: is the 750 going to be too big? I've driven it a couple of time, and it doesn't feel too big, and feels plenty quick/agile - but what you get in a 15 minute test drive is different than when you own the car.

Any (former) 550 owners that have gone to the new 750? Any regrets?

Now some notes on the deal:
- Pull-ahead program: As of this past Tues 9/8, BMW FS expanded the pull-ahead program to apply to ALL model years, as long as the lease is expiring on or before 12/31/09. I have 3 payments left on my car, and was going to wait. But I'm getting close on mileage, so the pull-ahead is pulling me off the fence.
- Car: 09 Space Gray 750i. Sport, Convenience, Luxury Seating, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio, Smartphone Integration, Ceramic Controls. MSRP: $95,370. Selling Price: $84,800. Lease Rebate: $6000. My cap. cost: $78,800.

Comments/thoughts on any of the above appreciated -- especially looking forward to hearing from others that have done the 550-750 switch

Thanks

Ira

20C4S
09-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Ira,
currently i have a 08 M5 & just picked up a 750Li last week. my feedback is limited since i only have it for a week but some early thoughts are below:

will u feel the ''size'' difference? yes, u will. i'm not sure how the 550 drives but i'd assume it's somewhat closer to M5 except M5 being a little tighter package. as for driver the 5-series size is perfect but already pushing the limit of being agile etc. sometime i wish it's smaller when i want to have fun, such as M3 in this case. however, when i take family out the 5 is not big enough. rear seat, leg space is really not that comfortable when u need it.

i was set on finding a 750i but later decided on Li because seems like Li is a more popular choice for someone considering the 7. i do find the rear leg room is ideal for a proper large sedan & very very comfortable. i guess if u don't need the rear room then the 750i is perfect.

after a week limited driving experience i can say i really like the new ''toys'' in the car. it does feel huge but very comfortable. not as quick, agile, fun to drive than the M5 but much more comfortable. it already made the 5 feels like a ''aged'' car with all the new toys & interior design.

overall i think the new 7 is a better car than the current 5 especially with the current offer. try ask urself what else u can get when ur lease is due in 3 months. i was done on that part after visit couple other dealers including MB, Audi, Porsche... all bad numbers out there which made the 7 deal really hard to refuse. frankly, that was the easiest part to make the decision...

looks like u got a even better deal. payment in the 10's including tax? pick it up already. :D

btw, SG is awesome! :thumbup:

idworkin
09-12-2009, 04:51 PM
So I went to the dealer to get the car - apparently the guy that told me the pull ahead program was extended to include all 08s was wrong - it was expanded to include only the 08 7 series.

So, that leaves the 3 remaining payments on my car, and its kinda a dealbreaker for me. So, I guess I'll be waiting a few more months

- Ira

BmW745On19's
09-12-2009, 05:01 PM
If you're going to buy a new 7 I suggest you wait until the 8-speed model comes out. You can get the newest model year for the same price they are offering.

zibawala
09-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi All -

I've been following the threads for a bit here, and have found what appears to be a great deal on an 09 750i at a local dealer (details on that later) with the pull-ahead applying to my 08 550 (more on that later as well). I just have one nagging hesitation: the size of the car.

I'm driving an 08 550 right now -- great car. Quick, agile, fun to drive. I'm looking at the 750 because I like the added luxury that you get and (occasionally) the 550 ride could be a bit hard. I don't really need the added 4 or so inches that the 750 gives size-wise. My concern: is the 750 going to be too big? I've driven it a couple of time, and it doesn't feel too big, and feels plenty quick/agile - but what you get in a 15 minute test drive is different than when you own the car.

Any (former) 550 owners that have gone to the new 750? Any regrets?

Now some notes on the deal:
- Pull-ahead program: As of this past Tues 9/8, BMW FS expanded the pull-ahead program to apply to ALL model years, as long as the lease is expiring on or before 12/31/09. I have 3 payments left on my car, and was going to wait. But I'm getting close on mileage, so the pull-ahead is pulling me off the fence.
- Car: 09 Space Gray 750i. Sport, Convenience, Luxury Seating, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio, Smartphone Integration, Ceramic Controls. MSRP: $95,370. Selling Price: $84,800. Lease Rebate: $6000. My cap. cost: $78,800.

Comments/thoughts on any of the above appreciated -- especially looking forward to hearing from others that have done the 550-750 switch

Thanks

Ira

Darn! I picked up my car on Han 1st so got thrown out of the program by JUST ONE DAY:cry:

XZLR8
09-12-2009, 10:43 PM
So I went to the dealer to get the car - apparently the guy that told me the pull ahead program was extended to include all 08s was wrong - it was expanded to include only the 08 7 series.

So, that leaves the 3 remaining payments on my car, and its kinda a dealbreaker for me. So, I guess I'll be waiting a few more months
By waiting, though, won't you lose the shot at an '09 and the extra $6,000 that goes along with it? Seems like that's more savings than three payments on your 550?

idworkin
09-13-2009, 10:09 AM
By waiting, though, won't you lose the shot at an '09 and the extra $6,000 that goes along with it? Seems like that's more savings than three payments on your 550?

Maybe. Here in Socal there are a lot of 09's on dealer lots. Yes, it's a gamble - and yes, I may decide in a week that it was the wrong decision :cry: ... we'll see... :dunno:

- i.

hayden
09-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Although its big... I don't feel the Li is too big. (even though it won't fit in the garage!)

If you're worried about it... why not opt for the 750i?

Also, by 550 - can I assume you mean S550?

want_a_7
09-13-2009, 10:36 AM
I went from a 7 to a 5. I actually miss the size diffrence. Once you are used to the size it will feel confortable to you and be difficult to drive anyting smaller. One thing to keep in mind when you get a new 7 is you need to take your turns a little wider than in your previous car. My friend had to replace her rims (not cheap) from taking to many curbs with her tires she first got her 7.

idworkin
09-13-2009, 10:51 AM
If you're worried about it... why not opt for the 750i?

Also, by 550 - can I assume you mean S550?

Hayden -

I am looking at the 750i, not the Li. And on 550 - no, not an S550. I had an MB 5 yrs ago and it was nothing but trouble, and since then I've been completely converted to the BMW camp. I'm driving an 08 BMW 550i right now - that was the concern about size. I drove the car again yesterday - it actually doesn't feel that big...

Ira

XZLR8
09-13-2009, 11:36 AM
I love my 7 and definitely think I made the right choice, but I will say that the size difference (I'm coming from a 650i, but owned several E65 750i sedans before that) has taken more of an adjustment than I expected. Even more than the exterior size of the car, I think it has something to do with seating position and the relatively high belt line. One thing that REALLY helps mitigate the size issue, though, is the Integral Active Steering. I wouldn't own this car without it.

zibawala
09-13-2009, 12:21 PM
is $6000 not applicable to 2010 pre orders? If I have to pay 2-3K out of my pocket to get into 2009, 7, then I do not care.

idworkin
09-13-2009, 12:31 PM
is $6000 not applicable to 2010 pre orders? If I have to pay 2-3K out of my pocket to get into 2009, 7, then I do not care.

I don't think the $6K applies to the 2010s, just the 09s...

zibawala
09-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't think the $6K applies to the 2010s, just the 09s...

Then it is worth waiting when your lease matures and market is flooded with thease suckers, year ends and money factor improves!:)

hayden
09-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Hayden -

I am looking at the 750i, not the Li. And on 550 - no, not an S550. I had an MB 5 yrs ago and it was nothing but trouble, and since then I've been completely converted to the BMW camp. I'm driving an 08 BMW 550i right now - that was the concern about size. I drove the car again yesterday - it actually doesn't feel that big...

Ira

Wow... I was in a whole other area code. :D

impex4
09-13-2009, 03:52 PM
wow 10k off MSRP is a great price!
Why are you choosing space gray? is the 10k off only on this care or are you finding many cars at this type of discount ?

I am in NY and considering a 750i sport as well.