PDA

View Full Version : Current Grassroots Motorsport

nate
09-04-2003, 08:34 PM
has a shock test article on a 330...

auto-x based, with times. Stock is only 3/4ths of a second slower than T.C. Kline setup :yikes:

though, much softer...

·clyde·
09-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Just glanced at it, will read tomorrow, but what do you mean "only" .7 seconds (on a 54 second course)?!?!?! That's pretty fricking significant.

nate
09-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Just glanced at it, will read tomorrow, but what do you mean "only" .7 seconds (on a 54 second course)?!?!?! That's pretty fricking significant.

I guess that I should brush up on my auto-x knowledge :dunno: :rofl:

The HACK
09-05-2003, 12:02 AM
Springs probably make the biggest difference. Shocks don't make a big difference in performance, except with shorter springs you need to run shorter shocks. Also, aftermarket shocks tend to last a lot longer than OEM shocks.

Let's see them run the same comparo when the stock, OEM shocks are 50,000 miles compared to 50,000 mile old Bilsteins.

Pinecone
09-05-2003, 04:23 AM
Springs probably make the biggest difference. Shocks don't make a big difference in performance, except with shorter springs you need to run shorter shocks. Also, aftermarket shocks tend to last a lot longer than OEM shocks.

Let's see them run the same comparo when the stock, OEM shocks are 50,000 miles compared to 50,000 mile old Bilsteins.

I disagree, shocks make a big difference, especially on transitions. Which autocross courses sometimes seem to be a series of transitions.

Shocks don't change steady state cornering (like skid pad) though.

And 0.7 seconds ona 54 second course is HUGE.

·clyde·
09-05-2003, 07:03 AM

To expand on what Pinecone said...

I still haven't read the article (will get to it at lunch), but that quick glance last night made it look like they were exploring different shock options that are SCCA Solo II legal for Stock classes. Shocks are one of the few things that you can change in Stock, springs are not. Shocks are such a big deal in Stock that people spend spend $5k and more to get that 0.7 second advantage and the ability to tune (through SA or DA shocks) to suit the conditions during the event.

This wasn't about comparing which component offers more of a bang for the buck, which has a longer lifespan or anything like that. It was limited to exploring what a single component can do for a car under limited circumstances.

And, again...this showed a thorough trouncing of the stock shocks and how much room for improvement there is. Hell, even on a track (if it would translate, which it won't, of course) a 0.7 second advantage per lap is massive. 7 seconds in ten laps, 14 seconds in 20.

Jetfire
09-05-2003, 07:08 AM
has a shock test article on a 330...

auto-x based, with times. Stock is only 3/4ths of a second slower than T.C. Kline setup :yikes:

though, much softer...
Guess it's already been said, but 0.7 seconds is a very large improvement. It doesn't make much of a difference on the street, of course, where ride comfort takes precedence over just about anything else that aftermarkets shocks have to offer.

Kaz
09-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Shocks are a major tuning point for the street as well. Remember, it's the shocks that control the vehicle's ride motions that are invoked by changes in the suspension movement. R1cers with bouncy cars need shock tuning, not spring tuning. And as clyde said, in many stock level classes (I dunno about BMWCCA but this is the case in SCCA) spring changes are verboten but you can do anything you want to the shocks.

in_d_haus
09-05-2003, 10:56 AM

Yup, in a competitive field that can be the difference between first and last place.

·clyde·
09-05-2003, 11:30 AM
And as clyde said, in many stock level classes (I dunno about BMWCCA but this is the case in SCCA) spring changes are verboten but you can do anything you want to the shocks.

Each of the BMWCCA chapters that run autocross programs have their own classings and rules. I believe that all of the SCCA regions follow the SCCA National rules although some rules are optional for locla/regional events.