PDA

View Full Version : 335d

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Flyingman
09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Guys, is there an area just for us compression heads?

cwinter
09-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Uhmm....right here? BMW only sold what...1 per dealership so far? Don't tell me all of them are ob Bimmerfest and need their own forum. :)

:)

Edit: In short, hang out here...and welcome!

s_t_e_v_e
09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
would be nice. I've been scouring the web for everything 335d while i await my delivery... did i get ripped off, will i need winter tires, what kind of diesel should i use, what is cetane, and what the hell is torque anyway, etc etc

cwinter
09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
would be nice. I've been scouring the web for everything 335d while i await my delivery... did i get ripped off, will i need winter tires, what kind of diesel should i use, what is cetane, and what the hell is torque anyway, etc etc

Driving an Accord would explain why the concept of torque is foreign to you. :rofl:

Sorry! Just couldn't resist, it's all in good fun. :angel:

Welcome! I know you'll enjoy the hell out of that 335d! :thumbup:

andyffer
09-14-2009, 07:01 PM
You will LOVE it!!!!!!!!!

s_t_e_v_e
09-14-2009, 07:03 PM
I know. My accord is an easy target, but I'd imagine 425 lb-ft is foreign to a lot of people.

cwinter
09-14-2009, 07:05 PM
I know. My accord is an easy target, but I'd imagine 425 lb-ft is foreign to a lot of people.

Easy buddy, I got almost half of that. :(

:cry:

:bawling:

AzNMpower32
09-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I drove my X3 2.5i to test drive the 335d. My X3 has like, 40% of the torque of the big diesel.........imagine my grin when I didn't have to rev 3750rpm to climb up the hill (I live in a mountainous region).

So, what are the specs on your ordered 335d?

Flyingman
09-15-2009, 05:55 AM
I got the saphire black, biege dakota leather, sunroof, premium pkg, sprts pkg, leather steering wheel with shifters, premium hi-fi, 18" Style 195 staggered wheels with performance run flats.

This is replacing my current cummuter car which is a 1993 Dodge Intrepid ES. Finally bit the dust I'm afraid, but then I'm getting a new car! I get a new one every 15 years or so, even if I don't need one, :)

C'mon guys, lets at least get a forum going for the 330d and 335d going here. Are we really such a minority?

mrodoc
09-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Is there any hope of getting the 330d here in the states?:)

cwinter
09-15-2009, 06:59 AM
C'mon guys, lets at least get a forum going for the 330d and 335d going here. Are we really such a minority?

Yes and there is no 330d to be had in the US yet.

In a recent poll (haha, where is that thread) we only had about what, 3 entries for people with 335ds? I am too lazy to go back and check. :)

Lilalleykatt
09-15-2009, 07:02 AM
I dont have the time to share info with people whom drive gas burners and could care less.43 mpg @ 78mph. 13.8 second quarter mile. 152.4 mph top speed. Why would you want to waste bandwith for a dedicated forum. :thumbup:

Patrick
09-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Diesel powered BMWs rock!! :rofl: :D

Getting an ACS Diesel Power Upgrade can also cause you to grin your face off!

NCe61
09-15-2009, 07:49 AM
To fellow US 335d drivers: how do you deal with the problem posed by diesel fuel nozzles not fitting properly into the filler neck? The plastic funnel BMW supplied with the car is not much help, and can lead to major fuel spills. The good news is the issue does not arise often as car's range between fill-ups is close to 600 miles in routine driving.

mapezzul
09-15-2009, 07:54 AM
To fellow US 335d drivers: how do you deal with the problem posed by diesel fuel nozzles not fitting properly into the filler neck? The plastic funnel BMW supplied with the car is not much help, and can lead to major fuel spills. The good news is the issue does not arise often as car's range between fill-ups is close to 600 miles in routine driving.

Move to a more civilized area of the country with modern fuel pumps!! LOL:rofl:

That is a tricky one but maybe you could just find a different station?

need4speed
09-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Congrats on the new 335d. Torque is the force your butt dyno feels when you jump on the excelerator (I almost said jump on the gas, but that does not work for you) and 425lbs is sweet. I have a 315 torque non BMW, as well as driving the 300 twist 335 in Europe, both are fantastic. I imagine yours will be a monster. I saw a 330d vert at the Welt last month. If it was a option in the USA I would have checked it out at least.
What is this about a plastic funnel? Even if the thing did work, what do you do with a gas stained piece of plastic in your car? N4S

s_t_e_v_e
09-15-2009, 08:32 AM

Nice article about that http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18964

The relevant part: Unfortunately, not all stations dispensing diesel have the car based 24 mm diesel nozzle. Fortunately, BMW left enough openings for you to refuel by filling from outside the MPS. Just insert the fill nozzle and fill at a slightly slower than normal rate. We drove to 5 stations and did not find a single pump with the 24 mm nozzle needed. We eventually discovered the above and managed to fill the tank, though it did not feel as secure simply because the nozzle could not be inserted down into the filler neck.

Flyingman
09-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Patrick,

Perkele! You Finns are freaking speed nuts. No wonder, no sunlight for like 6 months. Everybody follows the rules of the road.

All of my Finnish friends drive like wildmen in other countries.

Tell us what are a few upgrades we can do to our 335d's to make them go fast?

Flyingman
09-15-2009, 08:47 AM
OK, so it looks like we may have all of 5 or 6 330d & 335d's in a few hours.

With luck we can get a quorum of like 10 or 12! We'll be a small group, but a happy one!

I'll see if I can get an administrator to set us up with a forum.

efhanover75
09-15-2009, 09:15 AM
I take PCD of my 335D in November/December (depending on when it is built). I'm in.

Patrick
09-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Patrick,

Perkele! You Finns are freaking speed nuts. No wonder, no sunlight for like 6 months. Everybody follows the rules of the road.

All of my Finnish friends drive like wildmen in other countries.

Tell us what are a few upgrades we can do to our 335d's to make them go fast?

:rofl:

I never speed in Finland; it is too expensive if you get caught by The Man. They are wired directly to the tax office, so those tickets are costly! :yikes:

However, unleash me in Germany on the A7 or A9, and it is a different game. :D

I have a pre-LCI, single turbo, 3.0 liter diesel, which is a bit less powerful than your 335d. If I had an E61 535d, then I might be able to suggest some things.

Re-maps are always an option with any turbo diesel, but these can cause some problems with your evil DPF (like melting it).

My E61 has the AC Schnitzer Diesel Power Upgrade, which was actually installed by a BMW service department in Germany. It increased torque from 500Nm to 600Nm, while (oddly enough) improving fuel economy.

There are some Scandinavian 535d owners that have had some serious computer work done to their cars, and have seen 670Nm of torque... That can be tough on transmissions though.

Anyway, in Europe, there are a lot of places that offer tuning upgrades for diesel BMW cars and trucks. Perhaps with diesel models now arriving in those United States and America, they will offer them to you North American enthusiasts. :)

320what?
09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
diesels rock, yuo gonna enjoy it!

Flyingman
09-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks Patrick.

Admin said if we can get enough ruckus going they will consider our request for a forum.

I was just over on the E90 site and found a few more there.

Supposedly something like 500 d's have sold in US last 7 months or so. With the $4,500 Eco Credit all the 2009 are gone. You have to place an order to get one. Try finding a used one, there aren't any. So nobody seems to be giving there's up, yet.

I'll keep beating the drum. So if there are any more of you diesel freaks out there, give out a yell.

d geek
09-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I will happily kibbutz on this thread (and hopefully, eventually a bmw diesel subforum). I am on bimmerfest only because of BMW diesels coming to N America!

unfortunately, I can only gab about them for the time being (not in the budget right now)

edit: of course, to include ALL diesels, the diesel sub-forum would need to be someplace the X5 guys would post too (not here in the e9X area)

Flyingman
09-15-2009, 02:35 PM
d'geek, welcome onboard then.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, so I can only dream about it for now.

You haven't set up your garage, so can't see what you have. Either a Jetta or a Taureg with V10!!!

I was watering at the mouth when the V10 was announced, but they didn't come out where I was living at the time. I'm not a big fan of the Tuareg anyway.

Would of done an X5d, but wasn't in the need of another SUV.

Just want a nice, fast, comfortable, efficient means of transportation.

d geek
09-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I have 3 VW tdi's (97 Passat w/289K mi, 98 New Beetle w/228K mi, and 01 Golf w/245K mi). These are all the 4 cyl, 1.9L engines that make all of 90hp and 155 ft-lbs :).

I was able to test drive a 535d a couple years ago. Unbelievable car! My dream diesel bimmer would be a 330d touring.

Flyingman
09-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh... I was expecting to hear about the Touareg with the V-10 bi-turbo!

See if you can test drive the 335d. I test drove the 330d some years ago out of the country, and it impressed me enough to wait until now to get one. I ordered this 335d without having ever driven one. I just can imagine what it will feel like.

If the cc came with a diesel I might consider that, but my blood actually runs BMW since I was just a kid.

d geek
09-15-2009, 03:20 PM
you sir, are pretty brave to buy a car you've never driven!
I was just at a dealership this past weekend asking if they have one available for a test drive, and the salesperson said they didn't and he didn't know when they could expect another one. This would seem to handicap their efforts in getting customers to even consider a diesel purchase! Most folks who've not driven a modern diesel can't imagine what its like.

Emission
09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I got the saphire black, biege dakota leather, sunroof, premium pkg, sprts pkg, leather steering wheel with shifters, premium hi-fi, 18" Style 195 staggered wheels with performance run flats.

This is replacing my current cummuter car which is a 1993 Dodge Intrepid ES. Finally bit the dust I'm afraid, but then I'm getting a new car! I get a new one every 15 years or so, even if I don't need one, :)

It just doesn't make sense to split the community up further. Except for the engine, your vehicle is nearly identical to the rest of the 3 Series lineup.

- Mike

s_t_e_v_e
09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Nice to know that I'm not the only one buying without having test driven first. I took the 335i out instead. At least you have driven the 330d, so you probably have a pretty good idea about what you're getting, albeit some years ago.

I did notice that BMW of Sterling, VA has one 2009 335d in their lot as of this past weekend. I have already bought from Fairfax. I'm going to try and set up test drive after the fact, or sale as it were. Hopefully, they won't feel that I'm putting them out too much knowing there won't be a sale.

d geek
09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
steve and flying man (and others)- is the 335d your first diesel?

s_t_e_v_e
09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
yes

Chrisdridley
09-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I am the proud owner of a 335d which I took delivery of on June 30th. Since, I have driven 13,337 miles. I have had a few unique things happen that would never have happened in a gasoline car.
I keep a blog dedicated to the 335d at www.thelonghighway.com if you guys would like to read it.

d geek
09-15-2009, 06:46 PM
i just read your blog, chris. nice job! bookmarked!

Marine5302
09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
I am the proud owner of a 335d which I took delivery of on June 30th. Since, I have driven 13,337 miles. I have had a few unique things happen that would never have happened in a gasoline car.
I keep a blog dedicated to the 335d at www.thelonghighway.com if you guys would like to read it.

Chris,

Nice read, thanks! While I will not put any where near the miles you do per month, it's nice to know you're still pleased with your "d". I love mine and just passed 1200 miles in the last month. I agree that this car shines at speeds well above the limit but it also shines when accelerating quickly from a stop. Best of both worlds for me!! :drive:

Flyingman
09-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Emission, glad you feel this way.

The engine must be about 60% of the car, IMHO. If the engine is important to you anyway.

Most people just put in the gas, or diesel as it may, make the payments and drive the miles. Three years later they are trading into something else. 50% of BMW's are leased I'm told.

Anyway, don't want to start a rift here. Maybe this discussion should be at the E90 site.

So what was your contribution to this thread?:dunno:

d geek
09-15-2009, 07:12 PM
.... Maybe this discussion should be at the E90 site...
here's the response i got when suggesting a diesel subforum over there:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155904

crickets...

d geek
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
if any of you are DIYers, you should know that Pepboys is carrying a BMW LL04 oil for around $7/liter. Mobil 1 5W30 ESP Forumla

Marine5302
09-15-2009, 07:24 PM
here's the response i got when suggesting a diesel subforum over there:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155904

crickets...

Being a "d" owner, I certainly would like to see a dedicated, diesel sub forum. In the meantime though, maybe we diesel owners can agree to start any related thread with either "335d", or "diesel" etc.

Chrisdridley
09-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Being a "d" owner, I certainly would like to see a dedicated, diesel sub forum. In the meantime though, maybe we diesel owners can agree to start any related thread with either "335d", or "diesel" etc.

That'll Work

Chrisdridley
09-15-2009, 07:33 PM
if any of you are DIYers, you should know that Pepboys is carrying a BMW LL04 oil for around $7/liter. Mobil 1 5W30 ESP Forumla

That's good to know......about 1000 miles before my oil change, I checked the oil on a Sunday afternoon to find it about a half a quart low. I went to Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts and neither of them had a LL-04 oil.

d geek
09-15-2009, 07:40 PM
here's another LL04 available at autohausaz.com (free shipping for orders >$50):
Engine Oil; TOTAL Quartz INEO MC3 5W30, Full Synthetic; 5 Liter Bottle
A fully synthetic motor oil formulated to meet or exceed German car manufacturer specifications including low-sulfur diesel: BMW Longlife LL04, Mercedes p.229.51, Audi/VW 502.00/505.00/505.01, in addition to ACEA04: A3/B4/C3 and API: SM/CF. Compatible with particulate filter and other post-treatment filter systems. $34.60

Lilalleykatt
09-15-2009, 07:56 PM
steve and flying man (and others)- is the 335d your first diesel?

I just sold my 09TDI Jetta Sportwagen w 90K to a family member. Great car zero problems. The seats SUCK after 4 hours in the saddle.I would not have test drove the 335d had I not been hurting[literally] from the pain induced by the Jetta seats. I run big miles for work and will prolly be the highest miler in the US with the 335 . I already have 15K since July 21 delivery. I am thinking about swinging by LA to have the software reprogramed. My mileage has improved 20-25% after about 12K mi.I also installed much taller tires to reduce the rpm's at speed. Overall a great interstate cruiser.:thumbup:

Lilalleykatt
09-15-2009, 08:08 PM

Hey Chris just read your blog and wanted to share with you the great performance I am gettting after switching to the Continental DWS tires. They are all weather tires and ride super soft handle just as good or better than the junk RFT's. I went up to a 45 in front and a 40 in the back[sport package] and it really filled out the wheel wells. Rain performance is out of this world.The ride is so soft and cushy It feels like I am driving in a Park Avenue on steroids while looking better than an M-3.

anE934fun
09-15-2009, 09:45 PM
It just doesn't make sense to split the community up further. Except for the engine, your vehicle is nearly identical to the rest of the 3 Series lineup.

- Mike
The only other differences I could find were the differential and the a/t. Other than those 3 items (engine, transmission and differential), the car is exactly the same as an E90 with the N54 engine.

montauk1989
09-16-2009, 04:49 AM

Chris, thanks for the blog:thumbup:. Man you really put on the miles.

I'm close to leasing a 335D but finding a car is tough. The dealers can't order a car that will arrive before the eco-credit expires. I was hoping to find the base 335d with the premium package and the eco credit that BMW is advertising. It's a good deal but there aren't any cars available equipped that way. I drove one last week with tons of options that brought the msrp up to close to 54k. That car sold but there's another one that the dealer may be able to get with even more stuff I don't really want for almost 55k. With the 4500 eco credit back from BMW and the current lease rates, the lease payments aren't too bad and it's a business car so I may still take it if it turns out to be available. I did my due diligence on Edmunds and called the dealer to see if they'd take the edmunds TMV price. They weren't that interested so we'll see. I've found edmunds to be fairly accurate with other cars I've bought so I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable, just cheap.

Have any of you few 335D owners been able to get the dealers to budge on price?

I used to drive a Mercedes 300SDL which dispute it's age, 1986, was when of the best cars I've ever owned. That was old tech diesel with a mechanical fuel injection system that still managed to get 23/28 MPG. I replaced that with a new toyota camry Hybrid (can I mention that on a BMW board?) which has been bullet proof but obviously not a ton of fun to drive. My real world mileage is 40 highway and 33 city. The 335D should get at least that kind of mileage and it's a great driver.

Emission
09-16-2009, 07:53 AM
The only other differences I could find were the differential and the a/t. Other than those 3 items (engine, transmission and differential), the car is exactly the same as an E90 with the N54 engine.

...and those parts differentiate the 328i from the 335i too!

- Mike

Emission
09-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Great blog. Nicely done.

- Mike

ant369
09-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Most stations have 2 nozzles on the same pump. It could be a different pump altogether too, I have seen it both ways. There is a larger truck nozzle and a smaller car nozzle. Unless your at a truck stop there should be an car nozzle.

The truck one will not open the fuel filler stopper but it is possible without the attachment to get the diesel in but it is a very slow process. The smaller one should fit perfectly and the diesel hoses are very long so it doesn't matter which side you pull up to. :)

anE934fun
09-16-2009, 11:32 AM
...and those parts differentiate the 328i from the 335i too!

- Mike
And there aren't separate forums (sub-forums?) for the 328i and 335i owners; so why a separate forum for d owners?:dunno:

Is it too hard to include a d or diesel in the thread title to signify a diesel subject?

anE934fun
09-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Most stations have 2 nozzles on the same pump. It could be a different pump altogether too, I have seen it both ways. There is a larger truck nozzle and a smaller car nozzle. Unless your at a truck stop there should be an car nozzle.

The truck one will not open the fuel filler stopper but it is possible without the attachment to get the diesel in but it is a very slow process. The smaller one should fit perfectly and the diesel hoses are very long so it doesn't matter which side you pull up to. :)
Interesting. My experience up to about 17 years ago (with a 1978 VW Diesel Rabbit) was that truck stops had one or two pumps with the smaller (automobile) filler nozzle. Non-truck stop stations that catered to automobiles had the smaller automobile filler nozzle. It got interesting when prices were cheaper at the automobile service stations and trucks pulled in to pump 50 gallons into their tank.... I haven't seen any diesel pumps with both truck and auto size filler nozzles on the same pump, though. But then again, I am just starting to get back into the diesel thing....

Flyingman
09-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Tito,

I spoke to the manager and he informed me that he found out from BMW that they extended the eco credit and you are locked in with the order and because of the delay in production and he told me to tell you that the expected delivery date is the end of november or sometime in the beginning of december.

Regards,

Client Advisor

:D

Lilalleykatt
09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=montauk1989;4522129]

I called Global in atl and told them the specs for the d I wanted to order and they gave me a price of 49K on a 54K sticker. I decided to go ahead with the purchase but the internet manager was off that day. Then my local dealer whom I had test drove the d at called and I told them that I was going to go ahead and get it in Atl and they came back and bettered their price saying tha it made them look bad when someone went out of market in the eyes of BMW corporate so they were going to do whatever it took. This would have been my 3rd purchase in Atl. This went back and forth[unplanned] between the two dealers undercutting each other for several days and I ended up paying like $47800 at Tom Williams in Bham plus they thew in the $575 rear shades. The order was placed on 6/10 recieved the d on 7/21. So I got close to $7K off and love having the car the way I wanted it to the last detail.

efhanover75
09-16-2009, 03:33 PM
I secured a 2010 335d for ~$8000 under sticker.:thumbup:

joeincs
09-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Count me as another very satisfied 335d owner that wouldlike to have a diesel forum. Diesel is the new future of sports cars! Just look at the Le Mans winners engines.

Flyingman
09-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Ok Joe, you are in!

That makes like three of us within a 5-10 mile radius or so, so not too bad. So let's see, that would be about a 1/2 liter of diesel (gas oil) for you EU types!:rofl:

I'm in Weston, Danika (over on the E90 Fanatic site) is in Sunrise, and you in Coral Springs.

I won't get mine till Dec it looks like, but it will be the way I wanted it.:thumbup:

As far as price breaks, I got about $5,500 off. I really did not bargain much, since it was a special order and I was happy with the eco-credit about to run out.

Let's see how many more are out there.

anE934fun
09-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Now you are talking! Is yours awaiting transit to the States? Mine is.

efhanover75
09-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Still waiting for a confirmed build date. I called BMWUSA this morning and they say confirmed, but no production date yet. I'm probably not going to see it before mid-November:bawling:

anE934fun
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Still waiting for a confirmed build date. I called BMWUSA this morning and they say confirmed, but no production date yet. I'm probably not going to see it before mid-November:bawling:
If you don't have a week scheduled for production at this point, it is a bit of wishful thinking to expect you are going to get your car by mid-November. Take 40 to 45 days after completion of production for the car to arrive at the dealer. Without even a scheduled production date, you could be looking at a November (or worse) build date, depending on when a production slot opens up for your dealer.

I am not trying to pour salt in any wound; it is just that if you don't have a scheduled production date, you are still in a holding pattern of sorts.

montauk1989
09-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I called Global in atl and told them the specs for the d I wanted to order and they gave me a price of 49K on a 54K sticker. I decided to go ahead with the purchase but the internet manager was off that day. Then my local dealer whom I had test drove the d at called and I told them that I was going to go ahead and get it in Atl and they came back and bettered their price saying tha it made them look bad when someone went out of market in the eyes of BMW corporate so they were going to do whatever it took. This would have been my 3rd purchase in Atl. This went back and forth[unplanned] between the two dealers undercutting each other for several days and I ended up paying like $47800 at Tom Williams in Bham plus they thew in the $575 rear shades. The order was placed on 6/10 recieved the d on 7/21. So I got close to $7K off and love having the car the way I wanted it to the last detail.

That's good news. My only problem now is that there aren't many cars available so I guess the dealer may feel like they shouldn't budge. I should know tomorrow.
Dave

anE934fun
09-16-2009, 08:58 PM
That's good news. My only problem now is that there aren't many cars available so I guess the dealer may feel like they shouldn't budge. I should know tomorrow.
Dave
I don't think there are any 2009 ds available at this point. If so, the only way you are going to get a d is to order a 2010. Pricing is a function of the market where the dealer is located.

Flyingman
09-17-2009, 05:37 AM
As of late last week the dealer advised there were only two 2009 335d available for sale in the entire USA. I would assume those are gone by now.

My dealer said that they had like a total of 20 diesels, including the X5d and they were sitting there not moving, then they came out with the eco-credit (wonder how they arrived at the $4,500 amount?) and they went like hot potatoes.

As far as I know, if you push hard and place your order, put down your deposit and get the eco credit in writing from the dealer, you should get the deal. When you get delivery is another story. I know they are delayed already.

You can just imagine the planning/production folks trying to decide how many d's for the US market they think they should plan for, given the slump we just went through.

I think acceptance of the TDI is slowly moving up, especially with some of the advertisements being shown for BMW and Audi clean diesel technology.

We get a few of these running around town and people start asking questions, curious, etc...

For those of us old enough to recall those wonderful GM Diesels from the late 70's early
80's, no wonder most folks in the US won't even consider a diesel.

All it took for me to get hooked was a taxi ride from Munich to Augsburg in a VW Jetta Wagon TDI doing 240km/h on the Autobahn, and I had to ask the driver if the car was a diesel or gas!

MCheg101
09-17-2009, 05:59 AM

So what dealer did you go with? Philly area here too...inquiring minds...

d geek
09-17-2009, 06:04 AM
autotrader.com shows quite a few 335d if you do a nationwide search. some are "used"

efhanover75
09-17-2009, 06:57 AM
I completely agree. It is wishful thinking. I'm figuring a December PCD date.

efhanover75
09-17-2009, 06:59 AM
So what dealer did you go with? Philly area here too...inquiring minds...

I went out of area. Used an intermediary to secure the best deal.

Flyingman
09-17-2009, 06:59 AM
My dealer here in South Florida (Pembroke Pines) said they sold approx 30 diesels in sedan and SUV.

He said they are one of the top 10 dealers in the US. Judging by the size of their car lot I'd agree.

They will be getting more 2010 diesels later, so there will be some in stock shortly.

It will be interesting to see if they keep the eco credit going longer than 2 Nov.

Flyingman
09-18-2009, 05:19 AM
Guys, I was tailing a VW Jetta TDI, looked to be rather new, 08 or 09, and it was white, which I think is a mistake. I noticed the back end was pretty sooted up, typical of diesel engines. Is this similar for the newer BMW Diesels with the adblue? One more reason why I orderd it in Black.:p

Patrick
09-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Is this similar for the newer BMW Diesels with the adblue? One more reason why I orderd it in Black.:p

Nope. Mine never soots/smokes, unless I really get on it (+4500 RPM).

The only time that there might be some smoke would be when the DPF is cycling through the cleaning phase.

Chrisdridley
09-18-2009, 05:44 AM
No soot on mine.....the inside of my exhaust tips is cleaner than any gasoline car I have ever had.

d geek
09-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Guys, I was tailing a VW Jetta TDI, looked to be rather new, 08 or 09, and it was white, which I think is a mistake. I noticed the back end was pretty sooted up, typical of diesel engines. Is this similar for the newer BMW Diesels with the adblue? One more reason why I orderd it in Black.:p
there was no 07 or 08 tdi sold over here. It was probably 06 or older. The new ones have no soot because of the DPF.

By all accounts, the new BMW diesels have NO soot at the tailpipe.

Lilalleykatt
09-18-2009, 06:21 AM
My 09 TDI would soot up a little around the tailpipe if you ran hard for extended periods. I made it to San Fran in 34 hrs non stop and the rear was getting that old diesel look. Seemed like it would soot up more at times. As the miles accured the soot went away.

anE934fun
09-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Nope. Mine never soots/smokes, unless I really get on it (+4500 RPM).

The only time that there might be some smoke would be when the DPF is cycling through the cleaning phase.
If there is soot coming out of the new diesels, there is a problem with the emission control system. The reason that diesels were banned from California and states the followed the California emission regulations is because of the particulates (aka the soot that fouled up the rear of earlier diesels). The particulate trap is supposed to eliminate particulate emissions. If it doesn't BMW (and Mercedes, VW/Audi, GM and Ford) have a big problem on their hands.

anE934fun
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I went out of area. Used an intermediary to secure the best deal.
How much did you have to pay the intermediary? That should be factored into the overall cost of the car....

Patrick
09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
If there is soot coming out of the new diesels, there is a problem with the emission control system. The reason that diesels were banned from California and states the followed the California emission regulations is because of the particulates (aka the soot that fouled up the rear of earlier diesels). The particulate trap is supposed to eliminate particulate emissions. If it doesn't BMW (and Mercedes, VW/Audi, GM and Ford) have a big problem on their hands.

We have as strict - if not more strict - laws about this in the EU than California.

All BMW diesel cars and trucks made after 2003/4 have the dreaded, evil DPF.

But, if I get on all 600 torques in 4th gear with my E61, there is going to be some dust from the exhaust. :bigpimp:

efhanover75
09-18-2009, 10:57 AM
How much did you have to pay the intermediary? That should be factored into the overall cost of the car....

I paid $500, and it is figured into the below invoice. It was really ~8500 under invoice and "all-in" I got about ~8000 under invoice.

d geek
09-18-2009, 11:10 AM
guys- please see this thread>>
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399035

Grentz
09-18-2009, 04:21 PM
There is very little soot on the 335d, the pipes actually stay cleaner than most gasoline cars.

The only time I have seen a bit of accumulation (no more than on any gas car) is when driving it hard with high revs.

joeincs
09-18-2009, 05:27 PM
I used a new program from American Express. Plugged in what I wanted and it came up with two dealers that were participating. Germain in Naples and Coggin's in Fort Pierce. Coggins had the best price. I got roughly $5,500 off sticker and the $4,500 eco credit plust the trade of my 2005TL. It was a great trade up, this car is so nice.

Nordic_Kat
09-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Are you being rhetorical or do you really want to know about the Cetane Index?

anE934fun
09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
I used a new program from American Express. Plugged in what I wanted and it came up with two dealers that were participating. Germain in Naples and Coggin's in Fort Pierce. Coggins had the best price. I got roughly $5,500 off sticker and the $4,500 eco credit plust the trade of my 2005TL. It was a great trade up, this car is so nice.
$5,500 off MSRP which included the $4,500 Eco Credit? Or $5,500 + $4,500 Eco Credit for a total of $10,000 off MSRP? If you got $10,000 off MSRP, you probably have the record for best price. At $10,000 off MSRP, the dealer took a loss on the transaction....

joeincs
09-19-2009, 04:21 AM
$5,500 off MSRP and the eco credit, but remember that I had a trade in too so that is another factor in what the totla deal was.

RoBMWED
09-19-2009, 06:02 AM
There is already a Diesel Owners/Aficionados on bimmerfest. It's a social group rather than a blog - but it's been around for a couple of months.

It's not a Forum - but it easily could become one when the numbers increase....

And diesels are more unique than any other vehicle model, simply because they ARE rare.

But then again, so are these
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Isetta-iso.jpg.

The original mass produced SMART car.

Progressive Compression !

PC !

What the ??????

d geek
09-19-2009, 06:08 AM
can you provide a link to this group?

Lilalleykatt
09-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Its my understanding that there are about 500 335d's imported in 2009. Does anyone have import #'s for MR 09 335d's in the US.

RoBMWED
09-19-2009, 06:58 AM
BMW diesel engine dipstick !

It's true.

There is no computerized means of measuring the engine oil.

You have to RELEASE the hood, GET out of the car, LIFT the hood, and PULL out the stick to SEE how much synthetic is still flowing through the engine.

It's quite an experience. BMW gas engines don't have that intimacy of becoming one with a diesel dipstick.

It's almost enough to make a person want to actually change the filter and oil themselves !

But that would be a little overboard. Crazy talk !

Patrick
09-19-2009, 07:00 AM
:rofl:

d geek
09-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Rob- this is true for the 335d, but for some reason there is no dipstick on the same engine in the x5d :dunno

Flyingman
09-19-2009, 07:08 AM
ROB,

Where in Germany are you located? Enjoying retirement, ehhh!

Flyingman
09-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Joe,

I sent you a PM. Trying to get your location. I'm in Weston and Danik (E90 site) is in Sunrise.

Hey, anybody seen the latest Audi A3 TDI commercial? It just came out here in South Florida.

RoBMWED
09-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Good thing that my wife didn't want an SAV !

I almost leased one, because I was getting desperate for a diesel, and I really wanted a 535xd. Not possible.

So folks, I too, purchased a 335d without ever driving one.

From this guy in Chicago (ED Pusher - street name - Irv :bigpimp:). While I was in Germany. Over the internet and telephone.

I used to go to Safeway and read the Ultra Low Sulphur content at the pumps. One time I got caught sniffing the nozzle. Almost got busted for that one.

Can't say how many times I came home reeking of diesel. That's when my wife intervened.

Hi ! My name is ROB and I'm a Diesel Head !

And I proud of it !!

Runon MD1
09-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Does anybody know of a BMW dealership anywhere in California that is selling 335d sedans at below MSRP? So far, all I have been able to find are those who will discount by the $4500 BMW is currently offering. I am willing to build the car and wait, as long as the dealer can give me a build slot before the 11/2 deadline.

I am willing to agree to a reasonable profit deal, but don't think that $1500 to $1900+ over invoice is reasonable...or is it, and am I the one being unrealistic?

Any help/advice will be most appreciated. I just need to know if I am not seeing things clearly.

I will purchase as soon as a dealer comes close to what I think is a reasonable deal for both sides.

Please feel free to move this post.

Richard

anE934fun
09-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Does anybody know of a BMW dealership anywhere in California that is selling 335d sedans at below MSRP? So far, all I have been able to find are those who will discount by the $4500 BMW is currently offering. I am willing to build the car and wait, as long as the dealer can give me a build slot before the 11/2 deadline.

I am willing to agree to a reasonable profit deal, but don't think that $1500 to $1900+ over invoice is reasonable...or is it, and am I the one being unrealistic?

Any help/advice will be most appreciated. I just need to know if I am not seeing things clearly.

I will purchase as soon as a dealer comes close to what I think is a reasonable deal for both sides.

Please feel free to move this post.

Richard
Contact Philippe Kahn at pkahn@southbaybmw.com His days off are Sunday and Monday, so don't expect a response until Tuesday. If he has a production slot available, he will do right by you.

Grentz
09-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Rob- this is true for the 335d, but for some reason there is no dipstick on the same engine in the x5d :dunno

Actually there is a dipstick on the X5d. But it also has the electronic dipstick from what I understand (I wish the 335d had both as well...).

d geek
09-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Actually there is a dipstick on the X5d. But it also has the electronic dipstick from what I understand (I wish the 335d had both as well...).
the odd thing is that the on-line manual for the x5 does not show or mention the dipstick.

dr.anger
09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I have been driving my 335d sport/premium, for a few months now. Live in Canada. Loving the car. Really like how it pulls whenever you hit the throttle and doesnt' seem to be any different from 60 to 80 or 100 to 120 mph. Let it loose and it just runs. I can't help but grin while I write this.

I am shopping for winter tires. Had Blizzak LM 25s on my Lexus IS 350 and they performed very well over one of the worst snow winters we have had in Calgary in a long time. My local tire store said the Blizzak 25 in my size is discontinued, so I am calling around a little. Want to get a dedicated winter tire/wheel set so I may change the tire size slightly.

Any recommedations?

d geek
09-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Glad you are enjoying the d! What kind of fuel economy are you seeing?

...Want to get a dedicated winter tire/wheel set so I may change the tire size slightly.

Any recommedations?
Nokian WR G2

dr.anger
09-24-2009, 12:51 PM
I am getting 30 mpg (US), overall average (7.9 l/100km). Most of my driving is city. Recently did a little road trip to Montana and got 6.0l/100km (40mpg), but I am not driving for economy, it is just too much fun to give 'er.

just got a ridiculous quote from a tire store in Calgary not very special rims and dunlop 3D wintersports for 2296+tax.

Flyingman
09-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Dr. Anger, what is the price difference there between diesel and regular gasoline?

ojk995
09-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Ordered my 2010 Space Gray 335d in August. Shows as Awaiting transport as of today. My guess is that we are all in the same build. Does another month wait sound about right?

Grentz
09-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Ordered my 2010 Space Gray 335d in August. Shows as Awaiting transport as of today. My guess is that we are all in the same build. Does another month wait sound about right?

Probably. I would say most likely 3-4 weeks depending on the ship schedule.

ojk995
09-25-2009, 11:29 AM
That's awesome. I was thinking it wouldn't be here till
Thanksgiving. Can't wait to drive it. I travel to Europe
frequently, but have never driven a 335d. Luckily, the
Dealership gave me a money back guarantee if I don't
like it when it arrives because people in the Wash. DC area
are snapping up any diesel that hits the dealerships.

Flyingman
09-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Let's see who's first to get their 2010 335d.

My SA is saying that production does not actually start until first week in Nov. He claims their dealership had 3 slots and those are filled now. No more Eco Credits are available. Now I know these guys can BS, they are salemen after all.

Is the 335d built in the US or in Germany? I recall that certain models are exclusively built in certain countries and no place else.

I ordered a Z-3 when I lived in Central America, thinking it was built in Germany since it was shipped from Germany, but in fact it was built in Spartanburg, S.C. They shipped it to Germany then it was transhipped to Central America. No wonder these cars are so dam expensive!

efhanover75
09-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I ordered a 335d in early September but still have no confirmed build date. Any idea what the delay is? I see that the August buyers are looking at November deliveries. Am I looking at a December delivery? I got a great deal, so I can't wait to get the car.

d geek
09-25-2009, 01:36 PM
...Is the 335d built in the US or in Germany? I recall that certain models are exclusively built in certain countries and no place else.

I ordered a Z-3 when I lived in Central America, thinking it was built in Germany since it was shipped from Germany, but in fact it was built in Spartanburg, S.C. ...
the 3 series is not built in the US. I know the X's are built at Spartanburg, but not sure if all Z's are built here.

Flyingman
09-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I ordered a 335d in early September but still have no confirmed build date. Any idea what the delay is? I see that the August buyers are looking at November deliveries. Am I looking at a December delivery? I got a great deal, so I can't wait to get the car.

I think the sudden interest in the d's may have caught them by surprise after they seemed to move so slowly, then were snatched up. Amazing how that whole $4,500 cash for clunker and Eco Credit caught everyone by surprise. I don't think the Clunker program lasted more than a few weeks, right?

Is it possible enough people are really interested now in the diesels?

There are adds all over the TV, drums of oil rolling back onto oil tankers, etc...!

Jauq37
09-25-2009, 02:36 PM
I am getting 30 mpg (US), overall average (7.9 l/100km). Most of my driving is city. Recently did a little road trip to Montana and got 6.0l/100km (40mpg), but I am not driving for economy, it is just too much fun to give 'er.

just got a ridiculous quote from a tire store in Calgary not very special rims and dunlop 3D wintersports for 2296+tax.

If you think 2296 is ridiculous, don't go to the dealer - I got the wheel and tire insurance so am getting my winter set from them 3200 or so, arriving in late October. In Calgary also.

Grentz
09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Is the 335d built in the US or in Germany? I recall that certain models are exclusively built in certain countries and no place else.

I ordered a Z-3 when I lived in Central America, thinking it was built in Germany since it was shipped from Germany, but in fact it was built in Spartanburg, S.C. They shipped it to Germany then it was transhipped to Central America. No wonder these cars are so dam expensive!

Germany....

Old Z4/X5/X6 are South Carolina
3 Series is mostly Germany, but some South Africa (most of the US 3s come from Germany).
5/6/7/M are Germany
X3 is Austria

If you want to get really in depth, all the facilities are listed here:
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index.html?http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_bmwgroup_com/produktion/produktionsnetzwerk/produktionsstandorte/produktionsstandorte.shtml

anE934fun
09-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Did you get an order confirmation from BMW NA? I placed my order for a 2010 335d at the end of August and the car is presently on a boat navigating its way across the Atlantic. ETA at the dealer is late October (21 - 23 timeframe). If you don't have an order confirmation from BMW NA, you have no production (much less delivery) date. Most likely, your dealer does not have a production slot allocation. If your order is not confirmed with BMW NA by November 2, it is my understanding that you won't get the $4,500 Eco Credit when the car is eventually produced.

anE934fun
09-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Do you have any idea when the car was built? My 335d which was built 9/15 is on a boat crossing the Atlantic. My order was placed the last week of August.

anE934fun
09-25-2009, 06:12 PM
the 3 series is not built in the US. I know the X's are built at Spartanburg, but not sure if all Z's are built here.
The 335d that is sold in the U.S. is built in Germany.

Flyingman
09-25-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't have an order number yet as well, only a signed New Buyers Order with agreed upon specs and price (including the eco credit and discount), plus my $1,000 down payment. I ordered two weeks ago, so Sept 12th it was.

SA today confirmed the order is placed and they had 3 slots which are now full. I'm one of those slots. He said anyone else placing an order now can not get the $4,500 credit and they have no idea when they will get more slots.

Pretty hard to move cars that aren't even available.

Say production is delayed and won't start till first week in Nov, so how do you get a finished car on a boat already. You can never trust these SA\s. Damn them to hell.:mad:

Grentz
09-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Almost sounds like a smaller dealer, larger dealers have more allocation I believe usually.

In any event, glad you got it and the discount. The discounts can be tricky, only way I was able to get mine was finding a car already on its way here so it would meet the time line (this was a discount on all 335s a few months ago).

Flyingman
09-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Almost sounds like a smaller dealer, larger dealers have more allocation I believe usually.

In any event, glad you got it and the discount. The discounts can be tricky, only way I was able to get mine was finding a car already on its way here so it would meet the time line (this was a discount on all 335s a few months ago).

He claims to be one of the top 10 in USA. They have the Fort Lauderdale area basically wrapped up, and there are BMW's all over this place.

It's gonna be a pretty sad day if they are not able to deliver. Maybe late, but on my agreed terms.

Hell, I can wait. Once I get my car it's sianara to all you suckers!!!:behead:

Flyingman
09-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Besides, if they have only sold upwards of 500 d's in 2009, how many could any one dealer get?

My dealer says they sold approx 30, that's about 6% of all d's sold in the US.

Wish we had some real facts and numbers to work with here.

He did say there has been a significant increase in interest recently, especailly all that advertisement for the eco credit. But no cars! Go figure.:mad:

Yet, at the same time there are still 50 used/new 2009 335d's shown as available on Autotrader. Many of those seem to show the same standard photo of the same car. Wonder if they really have or it is just a hoax to get people to inquire.

dalekressin
09-25-2009, 06:47 PM
He he he ...lots of 335D in Miami

Flyingman
09-25-2009, 06:50 PM
He he he ...lots of 335D in Miami

With heated seats for you freaking snowbirds!:p Up in Wisconsin I meant!

Flyingman
09-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Yesterday, 9/24/2009 in WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI
High Temperature: Actual: 77F
Normal: 66F
Record: 85F
Low Temperature:
Actual: 56F
Normal: 45F
Record: 28F

Yesterday, 9/24/2009 in FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
High Temperature: Actual: 88F
Normal: 88F
Record: 94F
Low Temperature:
Actual: 76F
Normal: 74F
Record: 69F

Read them stats and weep!:violent:

Grentz
09-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Yesterday, 9/24/2009 in WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI
High Temperature: Actual: 77F
Normal: 66F
Record: 85F
Low Temperature:
Actual: 56F
Normal: 45F
Record: 28F

Yesterday, 9/24/2009 in FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
High Temperature: Actual: 88F
Normal: 88F
Record: 94F
Low Temperature:
Actual: 76F
Normal: 74F
Record: 69F

Read them stats and weep!:violent:

What are you trying to prove? Its warming in the Florida than the Midwest? Duh... :p

and that is nothing for a difference, wait till January/Feb/March when the BIG temp differences start rolling in :thumbup:

neapolitan
09-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Hey Grentz, what does the 335d smell like? It sounds ridiculous, but man, I hate the smell of traditional diesel cars. It actually makes me nauseated. I have heard that they are a lot better now with the onboard urea tank...

anE934fun
09-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Besides, if they have only sold upwards of 500 d's in 2009, how many could any one dealer get?

My dealer says they sold approx 30, that's about 6% of all d's sold in the US.

Wish we had some real facts and numbers to work with here.

He did say there has been a significant increase in interest recently, especailly all that advertisement for the eco credit. But no cars! Go figure.:mad:

Yet, at the same time there are still 50 used/new 2009 335d's shown as available on Autotrader. Many of those seem to show the same standard photo of the same car. Wonder if they really have or it is just a hoax to get people to inquire.
Probably more of a placeholder.... Here is a possible scenario:
Caller: Uh, I noticed you have a 335d listed on Autotrader.com.
SA: Well, we did have one but it just sold.... We are taking orders for the 2010s and BMW has an Eco Credit incentive for orders placed through November 2nd. If you want, we could place an order for you.

And, and, and....

Moral of the story - don't believe everything you see on autotrader.com.

anE934fun
09-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't have an order number yet as well, only a signed New Buyers Order with agreed upon specs and price (including the eco credit and discount), plus my $1,000 down payment. I ordered two weeks ago, so Sept 12th it was.

SA today confirmed the order is placed and they had 3 slots which are now full. I'm one of those slots. He said anyone else placing an order now can not get the $4,500 credit and they have no idea when they will get more slots.

Pretty hard to move cars that aren't even available.

Say production is delayed and won't start till first week in Nov, so how do you get a finished car on a boat already. You can never trust these SA\s. Damn them to hell.:mad:
If you don't have an order (Production) number, you don't have an order. If your CA can't run a Vehicle Inquiry Report for you that has the following entries (Production Number, Order Status of 111 - Order Accepted, Priority of 1 - Customer Sold with your name in the Customer field), you do not have a confirmed order with BMW NA.

Not to rub salt into the wound, but with a Production Number, the dealer can tell you which week production will start, because the production has been scheduled with the factory.

anE934fun
09-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey Grentz, what does the 335d smell like? It sounds ridiculous, but man, I hate the smell of traditional diesel cars. It actually makes me nauseated. I have heard that they are a lot better now with the onboard urea tank...
I am not Grentz, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn recently. As to your question about 335d smell, it depends on where you are doing the smelling. Inside the car with the doors and windows closed, there is the smell of the leather interior. Outside at the rear of car with the engine idling, there is no diesel exhaust stink, which is due to the ulltra low sulfur content of diesel fuel in California. Open up the hood and if you have a sensitive nose, you will get a bit of a whiff of unburned diesel, which was probably left from when the fuel system was bolted onto the engine and leak tested. I would imagine that a complete engine wash would eliminate the eau d' diesel with one application if the eau was objectionable.

andyffer
09-25-2009, 08:40 PM
im in LOVE with the 335d. And everyone I know who has been in it with me now wants one.
Thats a lot coming from people w/ maseratis and P cars, and above. 27.7 mpg in the city with more torque than quite a few of them

Grentz
09-25-2009, 09:58 PM

Frankly I have not smelled diesel at all except for a few fumes when filling it at the pump (obviously).

There is absolutely no smell inside, and very very little at the back. To smell the exhaust you have to get right down next to it and even then it does not smell like diesel. I can smell my gas cars much easier than the diesel (I drive in with the M3 and it stinks up the whole garage...I cannot even tell when the diesel has been running in the garage though). The emissions are so low it is just incredible, another nice side effect is that the exhaust pipes stay very clean :thumbup:

anE934fun
09-25-2009, 10:47 PM
im in LOVE with the 335d. And everyone I know who has been in it with me now wants one.
Including a bunch of people who haven't been in your car - the ones who are waiting for their orders to arrive....:D

Thats a lot coming from people w/ maseratis and P cars, and above. 27.7 mpg in the city with more torque than quite a few of them
Out of curiosity, what are you getting in highway driving?

RussRamz
09-26-2009, 02:50 AM

As a former M6 owner which I sold to buy the 335d, the first time I drove the car I fell in love with it. The M6 was my autobahn cruiser where my Z4M is and will continue to remain my track toy, but the 335d offers so much more than the M6 in terms of comfort, utility, and overall usefulness. While there is little that can match the top end speed of the M6, I became tired of its long wheel base, lack of corner sportiness, and obnoxious fuel consumption. It was much more boring than the Z4MC I have and it simply didn't make sense to keep it--especially after driving the 335d.

I will chip tune my 335d. For a mere 300 Euro, I can push it over 370 ps and 570 nm torque. That will be plenty:thumbup: Coupled with a good set of tires and an LSD differential, I'll take it to the Nurburgring next year and post my results...

anE934fun
09-26-2009, 03:56 AM
As a former M6 owner which I sold to buy the 335d, the first time I drove the car I fell in love with it. The M6 was my autobahn cruiser where my Z4M is and will continue to remain my track toy, but the 335d offers so much more than the M6 in terms of comfort, utility, and overall usefulness. While there is little that can match the top end speed of the M6, I became tired of its long wheel base, lack of corner sportiness, and obnoxious fuel consumption. It was much more boring than the Z4MC I have and it simply didn't make sense to keep it--especially after driving the 335d.

I will chip tune my 335d. For a mere 300 Euro, I can push it over 370 ps and 570 nm torque. That will be plenty:thumbup: Coupled with a good set of tires and an LSD differential, I'll take it to the Nurburgring next year and post my results...
Which LSD are you planning on fitting?

Marine5302
09-26-2009, 05:18 AM

Chip tune?? Do they have chips out already for the 335d?? Who's producing them??

d geek
09-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Chip tune?? Do they have chips out already for the 335d?? Who's producing them??
note that RussRamz is posting from Germany, where the 335d has been sold for a few years and they don't have the extra emissions equipment that the N America 335d does. I'm not aware of any N America chip tune for the 335d sold over here.

d geek
09-26-2009, 06:40 AM
... at the rear of car with the engine idling, there is no diesel exhaust stink, which is due to the ulltra low sulfur content of diesel fuel in California...
its not the ULSD, its the DPF and SCR that take out the diesel exhaust smell. ULSD is available everywhere- not just Cali.

Flyingman
09-26-2009, 06:42 AM

I love the smell of Diesel in the morning!:)

efhanover75
09-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Did you get an order confirmation from BMW NA? I placed my order for a 2010 335d at the end of August and the car is presently on a boat navigating its way across the Atlantic. ETA at the dealer is late October (21 - 23 timeframe). If you don't have an order confirmation from BMW NA, you have no production (much less delivery) date. Most likely, your dealer does not have a production slot allocation. If your order is not confirmed with BMW NA by November 2, it is my understanding that you won't get the $4,500 Eco Credit when the car is eventually produced.

I did get an order confirmation from BMW NA (I have a production # and when I call the BMW 1-800 number it says something like "your order is confirmed, but no production date has been scheduled".) I have the paperwork from the dealer showing priority 1, ordered the first week of September. 500 over invoice, minus the $4500 eco credit.

I'm just trying to figure out when this car is going to get built. I'm hoping for November, but it doesn't seem likely.

andyffer
09-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Including a bunch of people who haven't been in your car - the ones who are waiting for their orders to arrive....:D

Out of curiosity, what are you getting in highway driving?

I havent tested it really. I did an overall trip thing and I was idling in traffic on the freeway for a good 30 min and then cruised at 85 the rest of the way so it said ~33 or something. But BMW's tests were pure highway cruising. So I'll get on my local road sometime and test it out once I get going and then put cruise control on and let you guys know. Also, the speed would be around 75

RussRamz
09-26-2009, 07:59 AM
note that RussRamz is posting from Germany, where the 335d has been sold for a few years and they don't have the extra emissions equipment that the N America 335d does. I'm not aware of any N America chip tune for the 335d sold over here.

I am buying a U.S. spec 335d. I too will have to endure the urea injection, but am confident there will be an ECU fix to ignore an empty urea tank. The chip tune will come from www.race-chip.com

RussRamz
09-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Which LSD are you planning on fitting?

Drexler.

d geek
09-26-2009, 08:11 AM
I am buying a U.S. spec 335d. I too will have to endure the urea injection, but am confident there will be an ECU fix to ignore an empty urea tank. The chip tune will come from www.race-chip.com
Well I'm sure its a bit more complicated than running without urea. the restriction of the components is what cuts down the hp from the Euro version. there are other differences in the block that may also effect the Euro tuning. I'd be surprised if a German tuner would touch the car. Let us know if you can pull it off.

ojk995
09-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Just a quick heads-up for all of you who have a 2010 335d on order. I ordered mine in
Mid August and, as of 9/24, the BMW website is showing it as Awaiting Transport. Hopefully that means it will be here(east coast, US) by the end of October. Keeping my
fingers crossed for good weather in the Atlantic and non-detail oriented customs
inspectors. :thumbup:

Grentz
09-26-2009, 09:01 AM

There is more than just that they put urea in as far as the difference for the US version...I would be very careful just getting it chipped as it might screw up more than just the emissions.

andyffer
09-26-2009, 09:06 AM
i got both wheels spinning easy. drifting and burnout. no need for LSD for me

Patrick
09-26-2009, 09:08 AM

AC Schnitzer for example. TV approved as well.

Grentz
09-26-2009, 10:09 AM
i got both wheels spinning easy. drifting and burnout. no need for LSD for me

lol, its not too hard to do at all. Just mash that pedal hard around a sharp corner and POOF smoke :rofl:

s_t_e_v_e
09-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I have a production # and when I call the BMW 1-800 number it says something like "your order is confirmed, but no production date has been scheduled".
I ordered on 8/31 and am still hearing the same message. Last Weds I decided to talk to a human instead to see if they had any more info. Despite the message, they said my production start date was set for 9/21. Although it didn't actually start then, he thought it would by the end of the week.

RoBMWED
09-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi, folks!

My MY09 335d was dropped off in NJ yesterday and is probably sitting on that huge dock waiting to be processed by customs and the VPC before being trucked to SC for the PC re-delivery.

I dropped off in Bremerhaven on Sep 7, sailed Sep 12 and finished the movement stage yesterday. So not a bad transport, all in all.

And since WE DON'T HAVE A DIESEL forum yet, any of your 'festers who haven't signed up for the Diesel Social Group, here is the link again !

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/group.php?groupid=15

I recognize most of you here, but there are a few who probably haven't heard of it yet.

Good to read all of this Diesel info exchange !

Freude am DIESEL Fahren !!

andyffer
09-26-2009, 11:22 AM
lol, its not too hard to do at all. Just mash that pedal hard around a sharp corner and POOF smoke :rofl:

exactly! So the need for lsd is what

RoBMWED
09-26-2009, 11:51 AM
I ordered on 8/31 and am still hearing the same message. Last Weds I decided to talk to a human instead to see if they had any more info. Despite the message, they said my production start date was set for 9/21. Although it didn't actually start then, he thought it would by the end of the week.

It should be finished by now. Ours was built quickly - but it was also the last week for MY09 - before they closed the plant.

The graphic on BMWUSA has seldom been accurate. So at least you got a live person to speak with !

My earlier post was suggesting that the transits are going fast. Within 24hrs, our transport ship made two stops in NJ and was underway this morning for its next port. Not much of a delay.

I'm afraid its because there are that many vehicles being moved.

CONGRATULATIONS ! The anticipation is great, isn't it !!

Grentz
09-26-2009, 11:51 AM
exactly! So the need for lsd is what

Well it still could add a bit more resistance to wheel spin, but in any event its not needed on a daily driver or a car like this usually ;)

RoBMWED
09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
So with the LSD and winter/snow tires, how good would the traction be?

There was a guy asking about driving on snow on the BMWCCA website, and I don't know if any of us in a 335d have had a chance to drive on snow yet.

anE934fun
09-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Drexler.
I am curious whether the Drexler LSD is built using the 2.81 final drive from the 335d, or whether they are using the 3.0 final drive from the E90 m/t. Do you have any further information? I could not find gear ratio information on the Drexler web site; only a listing of the manufacturers for which they sell a LSD.

anE934fun
09-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Be careful hoping for a work-around for the empty urea tank condition. Since the urea tank is a critical part of the emissions certification for U.S. spec 335d cars, expect BMW to make the DME programming extra hard to disable. If it is relatively easy to disable the urea tank level condition, BMW could be held to be aiding the disabling of the urea injection function, which would expose them to very large fines, if not a ban on selling the 335d in the U.S. Be sure to mention that your car is a U.S. spec car to the tuner.

anE934fun
09-26-2009, 12:23 PM
So with the LSD and winter/snow tires, how good would the traction be?

There was a guy asking about driving on snow on the BMWCCA website, and I don't know if any of us in a 335d have had a chance to drive on snow yet.
If you are looking for capability that is similar to AWD, a LSD won't provide that. AWD provides all 4 wheels as drive wheels if the rears start to spin.

anE934fun
09-26-2009, 12:31 PM
its not the ULSD, its the DPF and SCR that take out the diesel exhaust smell. ULSD is available everywhere- not just Cali.
This is like debating two sides of the same coin. Particulate filters remove soot which is a by-product of sulfur in diesel fuel. If you were to run 500 ppm (non-ULSD) diesel, the particulate filter would likely be overwhelmed. The refining process for ULSD removes most of the soot-causing sulfur. The remaining sulfur is converted into smaller quantities of soot which is then removed by the particulate filter.

My recollection of a website on ULSD conversion is that there are still some areas of the U.S. that have until 2010 to complete the conversion of refining facilities to ULSD.

RoBMWED
09-26-2009, 12:31 PM
If you are looking for capability that is similar to AWD, a LSD won't provide that. AWD provides all 4 wheels as drive wheels if the rears start to spin.

Understood. AWD would definitely be nice if we could get it on 335d.

I didn't know if the LSD would add any benefit at all. Always looking for an edge in the winter time.

I forget if the winter tires are off-set normally or not. I would think that the wider tire would also provide a little better traction. Short wheelbase, very heavy car ?

Guess, we'll all just have to go out and see what happens !

I'm going to jump on wiki and see how smart I can get about LSD (the mechanical/not hallucinogen) before you get a chance to post again so I'll know what you guys are writing about !

RoBMWED
09-26-2009, 12:37 PM
This is like debating two sides of the same coin.

and you're doing a great job !

anE934fun
09-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I did get an order confirmation from BMW NA (I have a production # and when I call the BMW 1-800 number it says something like "your order is confirmed, but no production date has been scheduled".) I have the paperwork from the dealer showing priority 1, ordered the first week of September. 500 over invoice, minus the $4500 eco credit.

I'm just trying to figure out when this car is going to get built. I'm hoping for November, but it doesn't seem likely.
There are two different computer systems - one that is the actual production system that the dealers use, and another that is used by the automated system for customer inquiry (telephony and web). Why they decided to have 2 systems is beyond my ability to comprehend. If you talk to a live body at BMW NA, they should be able to give you a scheduled production date if they have the ability to check the production system. If not, then you just get the waiting to produce result.

I know about the two systems because when I was getting the scheduled production week from the dealer, the web interface didn't have my Production Number on file.... And I had the printout of the Vehicle Inquiry Report from the dealer, so I knew that I had a valid Production Number. Go figure.

anE934fun
09-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Understood. AWD would definitely be nice if we could get it on 335d.
I think the AWD on the E90 is not rated for the ft/lbs of the M57N2 motor. There are different part and model numbers for the AWD on the E90/2 cars and the X5. I tend to doubt that the AWD unit on the X5 can dimensionally fit into the chassis of the E90/2 cars, which would explain why a 335dxi is not available. But, this is just speculation on my part, that is based on a check of the part numbers only.

I didn't know if the LSD would add any benefit at all. Always looking for an edge in the winter time.
Absent AWD, in winter (snow and ice) driving, a good set of narrow (225 width on all four corners) winter tires is better than LSD.

I forget if the winter tires are off-set normally or not. I would think that the wider tire would also provide a little better traction. Short wheelbase, very heavy car ?
If by offset, you are referring to wider tires on the rear with the Sport package, wider tires in snow and ice conditions versus a good set of winter tires, the winter tires are better. Also, wider tires will absorb more snow/slush ice, which will reduce traction in those conditions.

Guess, we'll all just have to go out and see what happens !

I'm going to jump on wiki and see how smart I can get about LSD (the mechanical/not hallucinogen) before you get a chance to post again so I'll know what you guys are writing about !
Unless you are wanting to design a LSD, the main thing to understand about it is that it stops an 'open' rear differential from transferring engine output to the wheel with less traction. BMW has implemented electronic traction control that uses the brake system to stop wheelspin, which is another approach to maintaining traction in slippery conditions, but it won't allow for the full amount of engine output to get to the road. A LSD will allow full engine output to get to the road until the tires start to spin. At that point, DTC applies the brakes to stop the wheelspin.

RoBMWED
09-26-2009, 02:12 PM
That's covered it all for me for now ! It's after 11:00pm. I headed to Study Hall. Cheers ::roundel:

So are you going to buy a 335d ? Just out of curiosity !?

anE934fun
09-26-2009, 06:53 PM
I have one in transit to the VPC at Port Hueneme, California; ETA at the dealer is October 21 - 23.

d geek
09-26-2009, 09:25 PM
This is like debating two sides of the same coin. Particulate filters remove soot which is a by-product of sulfur in diesel fuel. If you were to run 500 ppm (non-ULSD) diesel, the particulate filter would likely be overwhelmed. The refining process for ULSD removes most of the soot-causing sulfur. The remaining sulfur is converted into smaller quantities of soot which is then removed by the particulate filter....
wrong- sulfur has nothing to do with soot. look at any old diesel vehicle (pre 2007) burning ULSD and you will see what i mean.

anE934fun
09-27-2009, 12:00 AM
wrong- sulfur has nothing to do with soot. look at any old diesel vehicle (pre 2007) burning ULSD and you will see what i mean.
I think it is you who are mistaken. Here is a URL to the U.S. EPA program for the introduction of ULSD: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/highway-diesel/regs/420f06064.htm

Cliff-Notes version:
EPA's Clean Air Highway Diesel final rule requires a 97 percent reduction in the sulfur content of highway diesel fuel, from its current level of 500 parts per million (ppm), to 15 ppm. [Emphasis added.] As of October 15, 2006, ULSD is available at retail stations. Cars, trucks and buses with advanced pollution control will be available beginning in the autumn of 2006.

By addressing diesel fuel and engines together as a single system, this program will provide annual emission reductions equivalent to removing the pollution from more than 90 percent of today's trucks and buses, or about 13 million trucks and buses, when the current heavy-duty vehicle fleet has been completely replaced in 2030. This is the greatest reduction in harmful emissions of soot, or particulate matter (PM), ever achieved from cars and trucks. [Emphasis added.]

pogopop77
09-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Lot of great 335d discussion here, my thoughts:

1) BMW is still having trouble selling diesel cars in the U.S. I bought my 335d (the only one on the lot) in March. Whenever I bring it in for service, it's clear it's like a white tiger (rare). My first oil change they didn't even have the urea solution available to refill the exhaust tank. I think they are not marketing the diesel well -- their TV commercials about having the most fuel efficient luxury fleet aren't making the diesel advantage clear. The price is also definitely a hindrance -- plenty of people think "wait it's slower than a 335i, there's no manual transmission, and you want me to pay MORE!?"

They don't understand that the massive torque means that in normal driving (i.e. not revving to redline all the time) the 335d keeps up with the 335i just fine, the manual is almost unnecessary because you can accelerate pretty hard in any gear without even needing to downshift (and when you do the automatic does it promptly and without fuss), and the cost difference is negligible, especially when taking the federal tax credit and short-term fuel cost savings into account.

I hope they don't kill the 335d, but rather bring over less expensive and even more fuel efficient models to get more people interested. But I could totally understand if they decide that it's best for their bottom line to focus on diesels in SUVs only. I plan to keep my 335d running for a long time (diesel engines are supposed to last, right)?

2) If you do lots of highway miles I can't think of a better car to be driving. I've never enjoyed long trips more! I've averaged 34.5 mpg over the last 15k miles or so, consistently, with about 75%/25% highway/city mix. On the highway I usually average 36-37 mpg @ 70-80 mph. In the city mileage drops well into the 20's -- still pretty good, but seems so, I dunno, ordinary. I heard BMW is working on a diesel-electric hybrid :)

3) As I have complained about on other threads, the 335d needs high quality diesel fuel, and that isn't always easy to find. In general, I have found BP (especially the ones that used to be Amoco) and Shell to have the best fuels, but I continue to try and build a map of stations with premium diesel: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=113258081937625407456.0004685113021c64471c7&ll=42.98054,-82.424927&spn=19.049595,41.52832&z=5&mid=1254032696 . I have found most of the stations in my area have nozzles that fit the 335d just fine. Some of them also have the truck nozzles, but that's in addition to the smaller ones, so I have not had to use the little plastic nozzle size adjustment thing. Some of the diesel pump handles can get a little grimy, though -- I keep shop towels in the trunk just in case :)

4) The modern ultra low sulfur diesel fuel does have a smell, but it's not very a strong one like the higher sulfur diesel. Only once have I had issue with exhaust smell in the garage. I guess I'd landed at home right as the car was starting to burn off excess matter in the particulate filter or something. Even after I turned off the car something was definitely still going on, and the garage started smelling like burning soot. I opened the door for 5-10 mins and it cleared up. That's the only time in over 17,000 miles and daily driving. As for the tailpipes, they have gotten a little bit of soot over time, but last time I cleaned the car thoroughly I used a Mr. Clean magic eraser on the tailpipes and they were nearly pristine again. It's nothing like you see with old diesels where there's this thick layer of black stuff all around the back bumper area :)

RoBMWED
09-27-2009, 02:44 AM
[QUOTE pogopop77]Lot of great 335d discussion here, my thoughts:

1) BMW is still having trouble selling diesel cars in the U.S. I bought my 335d (the only one on the lot) in March.

I wonder if you are the senior 335d owner on the forum ?

Patrick
09-27-2009, 03:20 AM
A few more comments about fuel quality, as pogopop77 mentioned.

We have two types of diesel up here: summer grade and winter grade. The latter has a lower freezing point, which can be (freezing) a problem in the winter if it is -25C for an extended period of time. Both fuels are so called "City Diesel" meaning that it is supposedly environmentally friendly. Whatever that means. Additives, I suspect.

This summer while driving around central Europe for a month, I finally had the chance to buy Shell V-Power "Super" Diesel. It is significantly more expensive than regular diesel. In Italy, it cost 1,50 /liter, i.e., about $8.50 USD/gallon, and I filled the tank (+60 liters) twice while we were there. In Austria, Germany, and Switzerland, it was 1,10-1,30/liter.

We drove hard, many times over 200km/h for 45-60 minutes, and although I did not notice any performance gains from the V-Power fuel, the fuel economy was better. I was also surprised that fuel economy was better over a 100km when I drove 180km/h average, versus 120km/h. At 180km/h, I could get 6.1 liters/100km!

So, if you can find it, buy quality fuel for your oil burner! :D

EzKal
09-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Chris, thanks for the blog:thumbup:. Man you really put on the miles.

I'm close to leasing a 335D but finding a car is tough. The dealers can't order a car that will arrive before the eco-credit expires. I was hoping to find the base 335d with the premium package and the eco credit that BMW is advertising. It's a good deal but there aren't any cars available equipped that way. I drove one last week with tons of options that brought the msrp up to close to 54k. That car sold but there's another one that the dealer may be able to get with even more stuff I don't really want for almost 55k. With the 4500 eco credit back from BMW and the current lease rates, the lease payments aren't too bad and it's a business car so I may still take it if it turns out to be available. I did my due diligence on Edmunds and called the dealer to see if they'd take the edmunds TMV price. They weren't that interested so we'll see. I've found edmunds to be fairly accurate with other cars I've bought so I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable, just cheap.

I used to drive a Mercedes 300SDL which dispute it's age, 1986, was when of the best cars I've ever owned. That was old tech diesel with a mechanical fuel injection system that still managed to get 23/28 MPG. I replaced that with a new toyota camry Hybrid (can I mention that on a BMW board?) which has been bullet proof but obviously not a ton of fun to drive. My real world mileage is 40 highway and 33 city. The 335D should get at least that kind of mileage and it's a great driver.
I don't believe the car needs to be delivered before the Eco Credit expires (Nov 2nd). You need to place a firm order before then. That is what my dealer told me, and I ordered the 335d in early September on that basis. Build date is early November and delivery in early December 2009.

anE934fun
09-27-2009, 05:36 AM
I don't believe the car needs to be delivered before the Eco Credit expires (Nov 2nd). You need to place a firm order before then. That is what my dealer told me, and I ordered the 335d in early September on that basis. Build date is early November and delivery in early December 2009.
You need to have a 'confirmed' order placed with BMW NA by November 2 to qualify for the Eco credit. Note the difference between a 'firm' and 'confirmed' order - see my post # 122 above for the difference. If the dealer does not have a production slot from BMW NA, they can not place a confirmed order.

RoBMWED
09-27-2009, 06:45 AM
You need to have a 'confirmed' order placed with BMW NA by November 2 to qualify for the Eco credit. Note the difference between a 'firm' and 'confirmed' order - see my post # 122 above for the difference. If the dealer does not have a production slot from BMW NA, they can not place a confirmed order.

I think you mentioned the odd smell when the filter burns the particulate in the exhaust. I was wondering if anyone has noticed a 'burning paper' (not money) occasionally when they are shutting down the 335d. I caught an aroma a couple of times after I had parked. Thought I had snagged something. It was always subtle - and I could never find anything that was causing it. I learned early in chemistry never to sniff the test tube - so I didn't check the tailpipe.

I had read in the manual that the 'catalytic converter' i.e. 'cc' incinerates the particulate

p. 217 (and other locations) in the manual mentions harm to the 'cc' from brief starts/stops, using 85% or flex fuel, warming up the engine (bad) rather than driving immediately, etc.

I did the search - and there are some unusual issues with our exhaust system requirements.

So if you are getting bored or anxious waiting for your 335d, download the manual. PDF is very convenient for searching topics.

Grentz
09-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Ya, I had the burning smell once. It was REALLY bad, thought the brakes were on fire practically. Called the dealer even and they said it was probably the burn off cycle heating up some of the extra wax on the bottom of the car from shipment.

d geek
09-27-2009, 09:11 AM
I think it is you who are mistaken....
think about what i'm typing here. if the lowering of sulfur automatically reduced soot magically all by itself, then all of the pre-DPF vehicles would also have reduced soot.

...By addressing diesel fuel and engines together as a single system...
The sulfur is bad for the emissions equipment as well as the environment (it was also reduced in gasoline IIRC). The DPF knocks down soot (which is present in ALL diesel fuel including ULSD), and the media used in the DPF is adversely effected by sulfur.

EzKal
09-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I do have a "confirmed" order with a build date, etc. My point is that the car does not have to be "delivered" before Nov 2nd to qualify for the Eco Credit. Cheers.

RoBMWED
09-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Have you checked with TireRack or do they ship to your area? They are having a special on the bliz60 (newer version of your previous model)

RoBMWED
09-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Ya, I had the burning smell once. It was REALLY bad, thought the brakes were on fire practically. Called the dealer even and they said it was probably the burn off cycle heating up some of the extra wax on the bottom of the car from shipment.

Mine was delivered straight from the factory at WELT - so there should not have been anything on it. It smelled like burning newspapers. Had to have been the burn-off. Manual says that at high rpms it will produce a small amount of smoke - and have residual aroma. I remember checking the brakes, too !:rofl:

RoBMWED
09-27-2009, 11:57 AM
C'mon guys, lets at least get a forum going for the 330d and 335d going here. Are we really such a minority?[/QUOTE]

According to my rough count - not including those folks over on E90 - there are about sixteen 335d ordered, purchased, enroute, or delivered.

That doesn't include our brethren X-5d. Anyone know how to speak SAV ?

At last count we are the fourth largest social group on bimmerfest with 22 members. So we are gaining ground. All are diesel enthusiasts.

I really liked the pic that EzKal posted! Go check it out !

Got to get early tomorrow !

Cheers.

DC-IT
09-27-2009, 12:30 PM
So if you are getting bored or anxious waiting for your 335d, download the manual. PDF is very convenient for searching topics.

Hi RoBMWED where can I download the 335D Owner's Manual?
I just ordered a 2010 335D and it would be awesome if I can get hold of the manual so I can familiarise myself with the 335D whilst waiting anxiously for the new car.

Thanks.

anE934fun
09-27-2009, 12:44 PM
think about what i'm typing here.
I have. This little sideshow started with your post at #159. Specifically:
wrong- sulfur has nothing to do with soot.

if the lowering of sulfur automatically reduced soot magically all by itself, then all of the pre-DPF vehicles would also have reduced soot.
At post #152, I stated:
Particulate filters remove soot which is a by-product of sulfur in diesel fuel. If you were to run 500 ppm (non-ULSD) diesel, the particulate filter would likely be overwhelmed. The refining process for ULSD removes most of the soot-causing sulfur. The remaining sulfur is converted into smaller quantities of soot which is then removed by the particulate filter.
After your post #159, I provided the link to the U.S. EPA site on the ULSD program, where the EPA states that a combination of ULSD and emission controls (such as particulate traps/filters) will remove something like 90% of soot/particulates from diesel exhaust. The science on sulfur and particulate emissions is pretty well settled. You may not want to believe it, and I guess that is your choice. But settled it is.

The sulfur is bad for the emissions equipment as well as the environment (it was also reduced in gasoline IIRC). The DPF knocks down soot (which is present in ALL diesel fuel including ULSD), and the media used in the DPF is adversely effected by sulfur.
Which was why I made my original post about debating two sides of the same coin....

oilcar
09-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Particulate burn-off smells like popcorn. Happens every 2000 miles ???
New car burn-off smells like you describe.

We need a 335d X5 diesel forum!

My 335d is the best BMW I ever drove by far out of the 5 I have owned.:thumbup:
Fun to drive

RoBMWED
09-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi RoBMWED where can I download the 335D Owner's Manual?
I just ordered a 2010 335D and it would be awesome if I can get hold of the manual so I can familiarise myself with the 335D whilst waiting anxiously for the new car.

Thanks.

Congratulations - as you can see there are a lot of enthusiastic 335d owners !

I downloaded the manual from the BMW USA website. I believe we got it after we set up the owner's account.

I am not familiar with the Canadian website version. It's an 11Meg file, otherwise I would try to email it to you.

How long ago did you order ? You might be able to set up your owner's account by now.

efhanover75
09-28-2009, 07:05 AM

I just spoke with BMW NA this morning and they told me that as of 9/21 my vehicle was status 112. This means scheduled for production, but production has not yet started.

Flyingman
09-28-2009, 07:46 AM
So does this mean that no 2010 335d's have been manufactured yet?

I thought someone was saying they already had one in shipment?

pogopop77
09-28-2009, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE pogopop77]Lot of great 335d discussion here, my thoughts:

1) BMW is still having trouble selling diesel cars in the U.S. I bought my 335d (the only one on the lot) in March.

I wonder if you are the senior 335d owner on the forum ?

Well, from what I understand, the 335d has been available since November 2008 (with wide availability in January 2009). I bought mine in March. 335d owners are still a pretty select group :)

RoBMWED
09-28-2009, 12:04 PM
pogopop77 - I was wondering if you have tried to download those diesel fueling stations from google maps onto your Nav system. I haven't had a chance to try that application. I was hoping to hear that someone did it successfully.

Tempted to sign up for the BMW Assist Ultimate service - and have the concierge do the research for me !

RoBMWED
09-28-2009, 12:07 PM
So does this mean that no 2010 335d's have been manufactured yet?

I thought someone was saying they already had one in shipment?

I thought that anE934fun had his on order = build date was 15Sep and delivery date was 21-23Oct. That must be a MY10 335d !

My apologies if I got that wrong ...

RoBMWED
09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
I forgot to mention, besides the owners manual, once you set up an owners account, you can also access a lot (42 ?) on line videos showing different functions. They are brief - but fun to watch. It helped speed the familiarization process!

pogopop77
09-28-2009, 01:19 PM
pogopop77 - I was wondering if you have tried to download those diesel fueling stations from google maps onto your Nav system. I haven't had a chance to try that application. I was hoping to hear that someone did it successfully.

Tempted to sign up for the BMW Assist Ultimate service - and have the concierge do the research for me !

I haven't had success getting an address from Google Maps into the Nav system at all. It may require the Ultimate Assist Service plan.

ojk995
09-28-2009, 01:54 PM
I thought that anE934fun had his on order = build date was 15Sep and delivery date was 21-23Oct. That must be a MY10 335d !

Just got off the phone with BMW NA. My 2010 335d is built and has been waiting at the Port since Friday.

PS. Ordered mine in mid-August.

efhanover75
09-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Just got off the phone with BMW NA. My 2010 335d is built and has been waiting at the Port since Friday.

You might win the first 2010 335d contest. I'm guessing my car will arrive in December. Hoping to do PCD.

anE934fun
09-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Yes on all of the above. Does anyone have an earlier build date? The earliest the car could have been built and still be a 2010 would be September 1st. Mine was scheduled to be built the week of Sept. 1, but was pushed out to the 15th.

anE934fun
09-28-2009, 06:54 PM

When was yours built? My Sept. 15 build date is on its way to the Port Hueneme, California VPC. If yours is awaiting transit, it probably was built after the 15th.

ojk995
09-29-2009, 03:35 AM
When was yours built? My Sept. 15 build date is on its way to the Port Hueneme, California VPC. If yours is awaiting transit, it probably was built after the 15th.

Not sure on the build date. Is that something I can figure out from the VIN? I think that was discussed earlier in this thread, so I'll go back and check. Does your VIN indicate your car was built in Munich? Also, what ship is yours on?

RoBMWED
09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Not sure on the build date. Is that something I can figure out from the VIN? I think that was discussed earlier in this thread, so I'll go back and check. Does your VIN indicate your car was built in Munich? Also, what ship is yours on?

If the last alpha-character is an "A" followed by the 5-6 numerals, then the vehicle was built in Munich.

The attachment was provided by EDBMW - Irv Robinson

anE934fun
09-29-2009, 12:56 PM
If the last alpha-character is an "A" followed by the 5-6 numerals, then the vehicle was built in Munich.

The attachment was provided by EDBMW - Irv Robinson

Then I have a winner - my 335d's VIN consists of two sets of alpha-numeric values: WBAPN7C57A followed by A######. If I understand your post, the A###### indicates a Munich assembly.

RoBMWED
09-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Then I have a winner - my 335d's VIN consists of two sets of alpha-numeric values: WBAPN7C57A followed by A######. If I understand your post, the A###### indicates a Munich assembly.

WBA = BMW AG
PN7C = model code
5 = restraint system
7 = check digit
A = model year (A=2010)
A###### = sequential build #

ipso facto = you have a BMW !! Congratulations !

So what kind of a model did you order (335d and ????)

RoBMWED
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Or in other words, if we broke out every theme that has been discussed so far in this single thread, how many separate threads could we have created ?

Which is to postulate that we actually could have our own diesel forum, if we included all of the topics from the X5d folks...

....so where are those X5d diesel people ??

ojk995
09-29-2009, 01:50 PM

My VIN is identical except the check digit is an X and, of course, the last 6 digits are different. As of 9/25 it is at the port. Hopefully it will get on a ship this week!! Getting very psyched :)

DC-IT
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Congratulations - as you can see there are a lot of enthusiastic 335d owners !

I downloaded the manual from the BMW USA website. I believe we got it after we set up the owner's account.

I am not familiar with the Canadian website version. It's an 11Meg file, otherwise I would try to email it to you.

How long ago did you order ? You might be able to set up your owner's account by now.

I just ordered mine on 23rd Sept and the SA told me today that the VIN is not issued yest but my car is scheduled to arrive in Toronto at the end of Nov for early Dec delivery.

He also quoted me CAN$3,000.00 + Taxes for a set of BMW alloy rims w/ Blizzak IM22 RFT RSC snow tires. Is this a fair price?

Can I fit normal Snow tires on after-market alloy rims without the tire pressure sensors?

Thanks.

EzKal
09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
I just ordered mine on 23rd Sept and the SA told me today that the VIN is not issued yest but my car is scheduled to arrive in Toronto at the end of Nov for early Dec delivery.

He also quoted me CAN$3,000.00 + Taxes for a set of BMW alloy rims w/ Blizzak IM22 RFT RSC snow tires. Is this a fair price?

Can I fit normal Snow tires on after-market alloy rims without the tire pressure sensors?

Thanks.

You can get the Blizzak W-60 winter tires and 17" alloy rims with the pressure sensors mounted and balanced and delivered for less than US$1500 at Tire Rack. However, these are not RFTs.

bhuether
09-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Interesting thread... I have a 2010 335d on order. When I go to bmwusa.com to track my vehicle, it doesn't have much info. Doesn't show the correct list of options as well, which has had me worried. Every other day it will show there being no options, to then show the correct options the next day. Back and forth like that. The dealer told me not to worry, but I used the bmwusa contact form to let them know about the discrepency.

Anyway, I am quite anxious about this car. I will need to get winter tires/rims right away as we are driving from CA to NH in late December...

ALso learned that the free maintenance will not transfer to Germany, which stinks because we are moving to Germany where we will be 3-4 years!! How much do you think the scheduled maintenace will cost?

thanks,

brian

anE934fun
09-29-2009, 07:51 PM
WBA = BMW AG
PN7C = model code
5 = restraint system
7 = check digit
A = model year (A=2010)
A###### = sequential build #

ipso facto = you have a BMW !! Congratulations !

So what kind of a model did you order (335d and ????)
Jet Black/Saddle/Burl Walnut trim with Premium, Sport, Comfort Access, Fold down rear seats, Heated front seats, Navigation system, iPod & USB adapter, Logic 7 Stereo upgrade, Factory alarm system and Park Distance Control

EDIT: When I take delivery, I will be immediately losing the OEM shocks for a set of Koni FSDs and I will be fitting the HRE C70 wheels (16 lbs/corner) and the Michelin PS2s (non-RFT) that were left over from the E93 that went Lemon Law.

anE934fun
09-29-2009, 07:57 PM
My VIN is identical except the check digit is an X and, of course, the last 6 digits are different. As of 9/25 it is at the port. Hopefully it will get on a ship this week!! Getting very psyched :)
You might get yours before I get mine.... But then your car didn't have to travel to the Port Hueneme, California VPC....:)

I think we need to go by who has the earliest manufacture date. If that is the criteria for earliest 2010, I probably win that one. I haven't heard of anyone with a MY2010 335d that has a manufacture date earlier than 9/15.

mdifanis
09-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Count me in for the 335d club! Love it!

anE934fun
09-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Count me in for the 335d club! Love it!
Out of curiosity, did you get BMWs Eco Credit on your d?

anE934fun
09-30-2009, 01:04 AM

Thanks.
You can fit the tires on after-market rims with no tire pressure sensors, but your car is going to be constantly reminding you that your tires have no air in them.... You might even get a failure code recorded in the DME for your efforts.

efhanover75
09-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Interesting reading from the e90post site:

http://vivekk.bimmerpost.com//pics/BMW%20final.pdf

anE934fun
09-30-2009, 11:37 AM

Only 2.4 seconds slower than an M car on the same circuit.... 2.4 seconds is like 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2, 1 thou.

I wonder what the result would have been if the d's 2.81 rear differential had been swapped for something a bit lower? 2.4 seconds might have evaporated.

And no HPFP failure problems vs. the gasser.

Emission
09-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Only 2.4 seconds slower than an M car on the same circuit.... 2.4 seconds is like 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2, 1 thou.

I wonder what the result would have been if the d's 2.81 rear differential had been swapped for something a bit lower? 2.4 seconds might have evaporated.

And no HPFP failure problems vs. the gasser.

Yeah, but on a track 2.4 seconds is about 300 feet! That is a long distance. ;)

- Mike

RoBMWED
09-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks efhanover75

This is a great article. Lots of data to enjoy. With your knowledge, I think that we should also post this in our Diesel social group. It might get lost in this thread... :rofl:

anE934fun
09-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but on a track 2.4 seconds is about 300 feet! That is a long distance. ;)

- Mike
Interesting; with the price difference between the d and the M, that works out to almost exactly $10,000/second.

I am really wondering what the d would do with a lower (and LSD-equipped) differential and a bit more tire patch.

efhanover75
09-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Interesting; with the price difference between the d and the M, that works out to almost exactly $10,000/second.

I am really wondering what the d would do with a lower (and LSD-equipped) differential and a bit more tire patch.

I'm impressed that a car that gets 30+ mpg can more than hold it's own against the 335i. With the evolve modifications, the car seems like an animal. I know people have been asking about 335d modifications, this article gives us an idea of what the diesel can do. I'm happy with the stock version as my first BMW, the 330ci, seemed incredibly fast. The 335d puts that car to shame and kills it from an MPG standpoint.

oilcar
09-30-2009, 03:07 PM
You can get the Blizzak W-60 winter tires and 17" alloy rims with the pressure sensors mounted and balanced and delivered for less than US$1500 at Tire Rack. However, these are not RFTs.

Can you also use 16" instead of 17'. I was thinking better traction?

EzKal
09-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Can you also use 16" instead of 17'. I was thinking better traction?

I have a set of 16" wheels and RFT snow tires that I used on my current 328i Coupe and was hoping to be able to use them on my forthcoming 335d but, alas, the brakes on the 335d are too large to fit in 16" wheels. So I will have to buy another set of 17" wheels and snow tires. The 16" wheels are for sale. Cheers.

clymberz
09-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi, I've been drooling over a 335d for a while and I'm hating my 98 540's incessant "issues" window regulators, leaking gaskets, etc, etc

I'd like to run some #s to see what a new car would cost. Can I use the eco credit still? Can I use it on the 2010? How would I find out who has the slots left? Is there a well respected internet dealer who can give me a no BS best deal (vs the SF Bay Area Dealerships who are used to people walking in and dropping wads of cash, which I can't do).

My more frugal option would be a Jetta Sportwagen TDI, but the 335d is pretty sweet :-)

Thanks for all your advice.

anE934fun
09-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi, I've been drooling over a 335d for a while and I'm hating my 98 540's incessant "issues" window regulators, leaking gaskets, etc, etc

I'd like to run some #s to see what a new car would cost. Can I use the eco credit still? Can I use it on the 2010? How would I find out who has the slots left? Is there a well respected internet dealer who can give me a no BS best deal (vs the SF Bay Area Dealerships who are used to people walking in and dropping wads of cash, which I can't do).

My more frugal option would be a Jetta Sportwagen TDI, but the 335d is pretty sweet :-)

Thanks for all your advice.
Contact Philippe Kahn at pkahn@southbaybmw.com If he has a production slot, he will treat you way better than the S.F. Bay Area dealers. The Eco Credit can be used for a 2010 order; the order just has to be accepted by BMW NA prior to November 2nd.

Greg220
09-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Has anybody been able to order 2010 335d at invoice (before eco-credit), or is invoice+$500 the best one can hope for?

anE934fun
09-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Has anybody been able to order 2010 335d at invoice (before eco-credit), or is invoice+$500 the best one can hope for?
Well, the dealer has to make some money on the transaction. The only way you will get a car for invoice or less is if it has sat on the lot for 100+ days. The Eco Credit has tended to cause d's to move faster than the other inventory. Plus, there aren't many cars available at the moment, so invoice is a bit of a chimera at present. Invoice + $500 may be more realistic, depending on the market in your neck of the woods. The higher the demand, the higher the mark-up.

27outboard
10-01-2009, 05:46 AM

Thought I would finally post. We ordered our 335d yesterday: Monaco/Saddle w/ premium, Nav, Sat, and few other goodies. We're super excited and are looking forward to joining the club so to speak.

I can comment directly on the above since I have been shopping what we wanted for approximately 6-8 weeks. Granted we wanted a specific car that we either needed to find a dealer with an eco credit applicable order or we were going ED. Given our situation the best we are able to do was 1600 over invoice. I think that was a fair price and it saved me a bundle compared to going ED.

What I found is this: because of the supply and demand issue now occurring with the ds most dealers were looking for MSRP minus eco credit if they had an alocation left or had something that was arriving and could be sold.

I'll say this: I've never had a more difficult time spending 50K. We got the deal we wanted and it was relatively painless when we found that order that needed to be filled, but until I found that situation dealers weren't interested in helping at all. In fact, one dealer who we were close to inking a ED delivery with wanted a doc fee. Their loss.

Looking forward to posting some pics when we get the car.

Flyingman
10-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Thought I would finally post. We ordered our 335d yesterday: Monaco/Saddle w/ premium, Nav, Sat, and few other goodies. We're super excited and are looking forward to joining the club so to speak.

I can comment directly on the above since I have been shopping what we wanted for approximately 6-8 weeks. Granted we wanted a specific car that we either needed to find a dealer with an eco credit applicable order or we were going ED. Given our situation the best we are able to do was 1600 over invoice. I think that was a fair price and it saved me a bundle compared to going ED.

What I found is this: because of the supply and demand issue now occurring with the ds most dealers were looking for MSRP minus eco credit if they had an alocation left or had something that was arriving and could be sold.

I'll say this: I've never had a more difficult time spending 50K. We got the deal we wanted and it was relatively painless when we found that order that needed to be filled, but until I found that situation dealers weren't interested in helping at all. In fact, one dealer who we were close to inking a ED delivery with wanted a doc fee. Their loss.

Looking forward to posting some pics when we get the car.
OK, way to go!

I know my South Florida dealer said he had only 3 slots and they were taken up a while ago. I ordered on Sat 12 Sept. Delivery is sometime in Dec. Maybe 3 months wait.

Flyingman
10-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm wondering, even if my SA says I got the eco-credit, and the buyer's order I put my $1,000 deposit on reflects a price with the Eco credit applied, can the dealer come back and say sorry, we didn't get it and your car will now cost $4,500 more?

I think that would be very poor customer service if they did do that.

I'm just wondering at the end of the day what are the contractual obligations with the buyer's order I placed?

I have no idea if the dealer would do this, but my SA even confirmed with the sales manager that they could still offer the eco credit, and he said they could.

If the dealer has to eat the $4,500, I really don't care. They made a representation and should live by that.

anE934fun
10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm wondering, even if my SA says I got the eco-credit, and the buyer's order I put my $1,000 deposit on reflects a price with the Eco credit applied, can the dealer come back and say sorry, we didn't get it and your car will now cost $4,500 more?

I'm just wondering at the end of the day what are the contractual obligations with the buyer's order I placed?

I have no idea if the dealer would do this, but my SA even confirmed with the sales manager that they could still offer the eco credit, and he said they could.

If the dealer has to eat the $4,500, I really don't care. They made a representation and should live by that.
It depends on the law in the state where you signed the buyers order. If the dealer has cashed the check you wrote for the $1,000 deposit, your claim gets stronger, but ultimately, you have to see what the law says. If there is a disclaimer hidden in the fine print of the document, then the dealer has an exit. And, and, and.

A buyers order does not exactly sound like a sales contract, however.

27outboard
10-01-2009, 10:58 AM

Don't know; I am not an expert I just read this forum. When I look at my order sheet, I see under status: 111 Order Accepted and under Priority: 1-customer sold and my name. Based on the information in post #122, this confirms that we will receive a MY'010 335d and will have the eco credit applied.

Based on that post, I would be leary if you don't have the order accepted code on your sheet regardless of production number or not.

andyffer
10-01-2009, 11:29 AM
you guys are going to LOVE your cars

anE934fun
10-01-2009, 11:35 AM
That is just WONDERFUL.... Nothing like making the wait harder....

dr.anger
10-01-2009, 12:42 PM

I looked in to Tire rack, but with shipping and exchange it save only a little versus a package I got from Tire Trends (canadian). got Blizzack LM60 225/40/18s all around on a set of new wheels (they look OK but I didn't break the bank beacause the &%*# they put on the roads up here in winter kills a nice set of alloys pretty quickly). Got the package for 2045.00 all in. Didn't get RFTs. I am putting a limp kit together. Didn't get sensors. Never needed help figuring out when a regular tire was toast:)

RoBMWED
10-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Flyingman -

My thanks for starting an incredible thread about diesels - highlighting our personal favorite 335d !

I don't know for certain how many topics have been discussed in this single thread, but I would bet that there are enough to warrant getting our own Diesel Forum !

In a matter of a little over two weeks, you have created a thread that has more views than half of the stickies, and more replies than all posts (recent) except for the tire sticky.

There are two dozen more members of the Diesel Social Group, thanks to your thread ! And the numbers continue to grow !

Anyone else think that we should be granted a real DIESEL FORUM ! :dunno:

efhanover75
10-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Flyingman -

My thanks for starting an incredible thread about diesels - highlighting our personal favorite 335d !

I don't know for certain how many topics have been discussed in this single thread, but I would bet that there are enough to warrant getting our own Diesel Forum !

In a matter of a little over two weeks, you have created a thread that has more views than half of the stickies, and more replies than all posts (recent) except for the tire sticky.

There are two dozen more members of the Diesel Social Group, thanks to your thread ! And the numbers continue to grow !

Anyone else think that we should be granted a real DIESEL FORUM ! :dunno:

I agree! We certainly need a thread.

Flyingman
10-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey, I'll take compliments, even if they come from Philadelphia!:roundel:

anE934fun
10-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I agree! We certainly need a thread.
You already have a thread.... Perhaps you meant forum? How does the extra effort of administering the new forum get covered? What do you say to the 328ers who want their own forum? Ixers? Given that BF is free, I would yield to the mods. If there was a subscription involved, then it is a different matter.

RoBMWED
10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
What do you say to the 328ers who want their own forum? Ixers? Given that BF is free, I would yield to the mods. If there was a subscription involved, then it is a different matter.

I'd say....

BUY a :roundel: 335 DIESEL.....

..... and join the FUN !!

:thumbup: :rofl: :) :D

:roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel:

Flyingman
10-03-2009, 07:01 AM

Hey andy, I think you misspelled Moron!:eek:

andyffer
10-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Hey andy, I think you misspelled Moron!:eek:

Hey Flyingman, I think you haven't seen the movie! :eek:

Grentz
10-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Well, first little glitch with the 335d....got a Service Engine light and it is going into the shop this morning.

Will have to see what the issue is, no other info as of yet.

Marine5302
10-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Well, first little glitch with the 335d....got a Service Engine light and it is going into the shop this morning.

How many miles on the odo?

voltigeur
10-03-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm really looking forward to my 1st drive of the 335d - had to buy w/ no test drive as no car was available.

Will also be interesting to drive the new ///M3 - currently my DD - back-to-back w/ the 335d (forthcoming DD; keep the ///M for weekend fun and 1-2 days / wk).

If anyone has any driving impressions ... :)

Flyingman
10-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey Flyingman, I think you haven't seen the movie! :eek:

Got me there! Enlighten grasshopper oh educated one!:bow:

Flyingman
10-03-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm really looking forward to my 1st drive of the 335d - had to buy w/ no test drive as no car was available.

Will also be interesting to drive the new ///M3 - currently my DD - back-to-back w/ the 335d (forthcoming DD; keep the ///M for weekend fun and 1-2 days / wk).

What part of Texas?

Grentz
10-03-2009, 09:39 AM
how many miles on the odo?

RoBMWED
10-03-2009, 09:53 AM

I am as curious as Marine about your mileage.

I had a similar experience - so I had a spare liter of oil with me from the local bimmer store. When the light came on for me, I checked the level, confirmed it was down about .5 and added a little.

I NAV'd to the closest BMW service, and had them check it out. It was only about 6km from where we were at. We shut the engine off, and by the time the SA came out, the light wouldn't come on anymore - except at engine start-up.

They put the car on the computer - and could not find anything - and the event never re-surfaced. For added protection, I had an oil change done - and no issues again.

So let us know what they figure out !

RoBMWED
10-03-2009, 10:08 AM

We did the same thing. Never drove a diesel and we were looking at the 535xi very hard.

So without driving any recent 3's, we just ordered the car (after I had my wife sit in one).

With the sport package, it is quite tame. The bumps aren't as severe as I had expected. Steering is very tight, which is also very reassuring at 135mph. The corners are almost level even at higher speeds (40-50-60 mph) depending on the radius.

For comfort, the seats are amazing. Six hours without a break (BECAUSE THE FUEL MILEAGE IS FANTASTIC) and it's still very, very comfortable (even into my sixth decade). No fatigue or stiffness. In fact, were it not for sleep, I could drive for hours on end (ask Chrisdridly).

You'll love it ! Freude am Diesel Fahren !

Grentz
10-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Well as an update I have a 09 Ti Silver 328xi tonight....they need to contact Munich to find out what the error code is supposedly as they dont know what it means.

Sounds like monday before they can find out :(

Marine5302
10-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Well as an update I have a 09 Ti Silver 328xi tonight....they need to contact Munich to find out what the error code is supposedly as they dont know what it means.

Sounds like monday before they can find out :(

If they have to contact Munich I would think, and I really shouldn't as it hurts sometimes, that it may be a diesel issue. My thinking (ouch) :ouch: is that they probably already have all codes for the gas engines in their databases and the d is new to North America.

Then again, what the he!! do I know. Good luck Grentz with what ever it is.

Grentz
10-03-2009, 07:17 PM
My guess would be something with the emissions system, but it really could be anything with the engine/emissions/etc.

I am sure many of the codes are unique on the diesel vs. gas engines. Lots of different sensors and parts.

ry63
10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Great thread! I'm a new forum member, and soon-to-be first-time BMW owner. Ordered my 335d on 8/27 and it's scheduled to roll off the production line on Tuesday (10/6).

Marine5302
10-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Great thread! I'm a new forum member, and soon-to-be first-time BMW owner. Ordered my 335d on 8/27 and it's scheduled to roll off the production line on Tuesday (10/6).

Congrats. Rob will probably be contacting you soon.

TEEAM HAM
10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Wow! I have really enjoyed reading through this thread. I am seriously contemplating buying a car after the winter. I am torn between the 335d and the M3. This is helping make my decision a little easier.

Chris,
Your blog is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

anE934fun
10-04-2009, 12:05 AM
If they have to contact Munich I would think, and I really shouldn't as it hurts sometimes, that it may be a diesel issue. My thinking (ouch) :ouch: is that they probably already have all codes for the gas engines in their databases and the d is new to North America.

Then again, what the he!! do I know. Good luck Grentz with what ever it is.
As new as these cars are to North America, I would imagine any code that is diesel-specific would require consultation with the Home Office.

Hopefully it is not serious and the resolution is quick.

I too am asking Grentz to post what the outcome is.

27outboard
10-04-2009, 06:56 AM
I am also interested to hear the response from the dealer on your issue.

While waiting for our delivery, I've read some startling areas of cost cutting and am in hopes that we might not see that on the 335d given it is the most expensive 3.

Of particular concern is the lack of a hood insulation. I have seen that confirmed and with the high compression of our ds and thus the heat I am seriously considering adding one. Any thoughts to the negative of it. Has the hood been reconfigured to the point where you cannot add it?

Along similar lines, will my trunk be lined like it should on a 52K sports car. I can live without the alarm but I am praying this not to be true...

Thanks for the help.

Grentz
10-04-2009, 07:49 AM
I really dont get why you would need hood insulation. BMW does not think it needs it, so it should be fine.

There have been people that have compared noise, no difference with or without it. Also lets be logical here and remember that most cars dont have any type of insulation on the hood.

DC-IT
10-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I've read about the sudden failure of the HPFP affecting the 3 series and am wondering if it also applies to the 335D?

This would be a serious concern as I do 80% Hwy driving and such a sudden loss of power could have disastrous consequences.:mad:

Has any current 335D owners encountered and HPFP faalures?

Thanks.

Grentz
10-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Highly doubtful, it is a completely different fuel system and diesel is a natural lubricant, plus does not have the ethanol in it which IMO is the main reason for the HPFP failures.

I had a HPFP failure on my e46 M3 and they specifically said it was most likely due to the high ethanol content in our gas here (MN has some of the highest standard mixes in the nation).

Also, the reduced power mode would not cause you to get into trouble on the highway...it just limits how much power the car can put down but it is still drivable.

DC-IT
10-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Highly doubtful, it is a completely different fuel system and diesel is a natural lubricant, plus does not have the ethanol in it which IMO is the main reason for the HPFP failures.

I had a HPFP failure on my e46 M3 and they specifically said it was most likely due to the high ethanol content in our gas here (MN has some of the highest standard mixes in the nation).

Also, the reduced power mode would not cause you to get into trouble on the highway...it just limits how much power the car can put down but it is still drivable.

Thanks Grentz.
I am new to Diesel + BMW so am not familiar with the workings of the engine.

Good to know that it's not an issue with the D:)

I've been taking note of which gas stations has diesel fuel and noticed that Shell Diesel pumps do have V-Power so that will be the one to use for better performance.

anE934fun
10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks Grentz.
I am new to Diesel + BMW so am not familiar with the workings of the engine.

Good to know that it's not an issue with the D:)

I've been taking note of which gas stations has diesel fuel and noticed that Shell Diesel pumps do have V-Power so that will be the one to use for better performance.
And what about V-Power makes you think that it will be the product to use for 'better performance'?

anE934fun
10-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I really dont get why you would need hood insulation. BMW does not think it needs it, so it should be fine.

There have been people that have compared noise, no difference with or without it. Also lets be logical here and remember that most cars dont have any type of insulation on the hood.
The only reason for adding hood insulation on a d would be for noise reduction purposes. Personally, I kind of like the growl of the diesel engine. It is nowhere like the marbles rattling around in a garbage can of the earlier generation diesels. The N54 engine sound was kind of muted....