PDA

View Full Version : Window Etching with VIN?

Elwood
09-05-2003, 06:17 AM
Anyone have this done?

At pickup the Finance guy was pushing this like the holy grail. For only $280 it etches the main windows and provides a small guarantee. As it is, my budget was maxed so I told him I'd look into it and do it at a later date. Besides WHY would I want to FINANCE an add-on that I could get when I could afford it?

Anyway, I mentioned Etching to my Insurance Co(USAA) and they said it's probably overpriced (without me telling them the price) and that if you're a DIY'er there's a kit available for a wopping $15.00.

Well my kit arrived yesterday :angel: It contains 8 stencils with my VIN precut, 2 window stickers(deterents), a tube of etching fluid(acid), instructions, and a form to send to insurance co as verification(if required) Grand total $14.58

I'll probably apply it tonight when i get home.

http://patmedia.net/mmarv/bmw4s.jpg
Still the sunniest picture I have of my car :(

Cowboy Bebop
09-05-2003, 07:15 AM
popular with Ins.Co's in Europe.

Weird policies in some of the places... in Ireland when i lived there if your car was stolen, you would not get your money back till they found your car... or what was left of it!
A piece of window with vin would suffice.

kids usually stole them and then abandoned/troched them to melt the vins! lil bastards!

LmtdSlip
09-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Thats a great heads up. I never knew the kits were available. Have a lint to where you got yours?

Congrats on the new car!

Elwood
09-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Thats a great heads up. I never knew the kits were available. Have a lint to where you got yours?

Congrats on the new car!

No link but an addy and phone#

Automark Corporation
760 Deerbourne Park Lane
Worthington, OH 43085
1-800-274-6275

bimergrin
09-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Most local police stations will do this for you for free also. Just call them to double check and they will also give you the form for your insurance company.