PDA

View Full Version : OIL Gurus: reset srvic indicator after DIY OIL CHG?

Icecreamfoo
09-05-2003, 11:19 AM
HI all, noob to the board... have a 330 DIY oild change Q and would like to ask for some opinions/advices.

I'm leaning towards changing engine oil myself, sooner than the 15k interval suggested by BMW, this long interval just doesnt sit quite well with me since i do lots stop-and-go traffic in LA. Search results shows that lots of enthusiasts here do the same as well, but i didnt see any posts that mention whether we'll need to reset the service indicator (and if so, how) ourselves... or maybe there are but i just missed them?

Cuz my roomates and friends work on their own cars all the time, including hondas, VWs, Mazda, and 2 E36 M3 and 01 Mroadster. So they can help me with oil DIY, but the E36s dont have our service indicator so they have no idea what i should do. Should I reset it, or do I just leave it? My car is at 20k miles and the indicator still shows 7k mile to next service.

Also, i saw that in this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36882&highlight=oil+change
PhilH mentioned there is an "oil change kit" from BMW. I'm curious how it works, and if it's really necessary? My e36 friends just do the normal drain and fill i believe...

Appreciate any inputs... Thanks!
Jerry

The HACK
09-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Don't reset it.

F1Crazy
09-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Oil change kit that Phil refers to is just a filter kit that consist of oil filter and 2 washers, one for drain plug and one for filter housing cap. The P/N is 11-42-7-512-300 and lists at $8.50.

m3again
09-05-2003, 11:52 AM
You don't want to reset it, because your oil changes are in addition to the normal services. You still want BMW to do the normal services. Yours are "extra credit"

HW
09-05-2003, 11:55 AM
don't reset it if your car is still under the "free" maintenance time frame. the service dept looks at that to determine your "free" (read prepaid) of charge oil changes and maintenance.

Icecreamfoo
09-05-2003, 12:19 PM
woa u guys are fast.... this makes sense, i'll just change the oil/filter, and thanks for the part # F1. THX for the responses, it's nice to know there are this many knowledgeable peeps here.

So on top of the 5k-7.5k mile oil change, is there anything else on the car that you guys change regularly yourselves?

(Brake pads/rotors are covered under maint/warranty am i correct? my rear pads have lil life left)

bmw325
09-05-2003, 12:42 PM
BTW, if you're interested in how to reset your light here's how:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404

As others have said DON'T DO THIS DURING YOUR FREE MAINTENANCE PERIOD.