PDA

View Full Version : Ordering new BMW tomorrow

BradATL
09-08-2003, 07:59 AM
Just reached verbal agreement over the phone with a local dealer for an '04 M3. Going over there tomorrow to place the order and drop off a deposit check. I'm going to do the Perf Ctr Delivery.

I've never ordered a BMW (or any other car) before. Have always bought cars off the lot or bought used cars from private individuals.

Other than price and options, what other information should I make sure is covered during the ordering process? Should I get them to specify the specific production slot in writing? Is this done by specifying the production week? (for example, "Week 47").

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tanin
09-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Just reached verbal agreement over the phone with a local dealer for an '04 M3. Going over there tomorrow to place the order and drop off a deposit check. I'm going to do the Perf Ctr Delivery.

I've never ordered a BMW (or any other car) before. Have always bought cars off the lot or bought used cars from private individuals.

Other than price and options, what other information should I make sure is covered during the ordering process? Should I get them to specify the specific production slot in writing? Is this done by specifying the production week? (for example, "Week 47").

If you wish to track the production of the vehicle you can ask you dealer to fax you the order confirmation. The confirmation should contain your Production #, serial #, VIN, est production week and all other info on your car.

PABS
09-08-2003, 11:54 AM
As soon as you have a production number call BMWNA and make sure they have the options correctly...there have been some horror stories when the dealer did not specify things correctly.

Cowboy Bebop
09-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Depending on your dealres Alocation schedule, you could get a slot almost right away. the dealer will provide you with a Production # first... VIN will not come for some time... assigned at atart of Production.
With the Prod.# you can track with BMWNA website using the Owners Circle, or the 1-800-831-1117 #3 on the phone to track it as well... usually a few days more accurate with the phone.
When it gets made and shipped you can track it with the W/W shipping site - http://schedule.2wglobal.com/GLWebApps.AppTracking
Enter the VIN in the Auto field and it will show you where it is, and when it is due at port.

you can check as often as you want, but do not be too allarmed if the Owners Circle first shows bogus info, happens all the time, just check with NA on the phone and get the real info.
Also, do not be surprised when your Production date EST. moves either ahead or falls back a bit. (mine fell back twice!) these things move around a fair bit, and are after all just EST.

What options and color are you getting?

enjoy the wait!

Chris330Ci
09-08-2003, 12:55 PM

Ordering a car is very simple. The first step would be for your salesman to select an M3 from their dealer allocation list that can still be modified. At this point, he will only be able to provide you with a production number and the build week. The next step would be for your salesman to get a refundable deposit of $1000 as long as the car is not what one would consider a pink elephant. The sales manager or whoever will then go online and build the car based on your choices. Once that is complete, your guy should give you a sheet that will include production number, status codes, model info, prices and all your options.

The Performance Center piece won't come into play until closer to the build date. Your salesman will call to confirm a delivery date once he is provided with that date from the folks at the PC. From that point on, sit back and try to relax. It's worth the wait!

BradATL
09-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys for all of the great advice. I will definitely get the production # from the dealer and will check with BMWNA to make sure the order was entered correctly. Here's what I plan to order:

M3 coupe
Silver Gray/Cinnamon Nappa Lthr
Aluminum Interior Trim
Perf Ctr Delivery

This is a somewhat unusual color combo, and is definitely a "stripper" compared to most M3s, so I'm sure they will require at least a $1000 deposit, as it might be somewhat difficult to sell if I were to back out of the deal. Even though I already have a dedicated track car, I still plan to take the M3 to 2-3 drivers schools per year. I figure by foregoing most options, it will keep the car slightly lighter, which will help on the track, plus it will leave me with some money to buy a set of track wheels/tires!

Tanin
09-08-2003, 03:08 PM
M3 coupe
Silver Gray/Cinnamon Nappa Lthr
Aluminum Interior Trim
Perf Ctr Delivery

Great color combo. :thumbup:

mwette
09-08-2003, 04:17 PM
I ordered an oddball combo on my 330Ci. One dealer wanted $2000 deposit, the one I ended up buying from with wanted $500.

Can I ask what you paid wrt MRRP or invoice?

tgravo2
09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
drool

flashinthepan
09-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Brad,

Congrats !,

I had a very smooth ordering process, car had correct options & bmwusa.com was accurate to the day (I tracked daily). Knock on wood, no factory defects either, just breakin her in.

Good Luck !

Pinecone
09-09-2003, 04:37 AM
WRT Perfromance Center Delivery, have some time frame in mind when you go. The dealer can contact the PC as soon as he gets a production number. They want the date set no later than 56 days before delivery. And slots fill up, so have some alternates in mind.

When we ordered our M3 the whole week we preferred was full, as was the week before and the week afer. So, oh darn, we had to take delivery 2 weeks early. :)

And once the Performance Center delivery date is set, the car production will be moved to make SURE the car is the in more than enough time.

Artslinger
09-09-2003, 06:39 AM
M3 coupe... :D
Silver Gray/Cinnamon Nappa Lthr... :thumbup:
Aluminum Interior Trim... :thumbup:
Perf Ctr Delivery... :thumbup:

Man I'm jealous.

BradATL
09-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Thanks everybody for all of the advice. I went by the dealer this afternoon and placed the order. He will call me with a production # and estimated build week within 48 hours. I'm sure I will be checking with BMWNA every day until the car finally arrives at the PDC in Spartanburg! I'm sure the wait is going to be agonizing!!!

While at the dealer, I decided on the first accessory I'm going to buy as soon as I get the car -- a clearbra. The dealer has an in-house guy who installs them. They said he is a master. They had a 330ci on the showroom floor with one, and I couldn't even see it until I got about a foot away from it.