PDA

View Full Version : 581 miles in the X5 in one day...

Emission
09-08-2003, 10:56 AM
I drove from Los Angeles to Laguna Seca (and back) on Satuday so I could catch a race. Total distance (for the day) was 581 miles.

I loaded up a cooler with soft drinks, and another with dry foods. Packed an armload of CD's (you go through a bunch over 10 hours) and drove into into the sunrise.

I averaged 78 mph on the way up, and 67 mph on the way down. Average fuel economy (for the entire day - including the city portions) was 21.1 mpg. My first tank was good for 464 miles. Not bad at all!

Our X5 has proven to be the ultimate roadtrip vehicle combining safety, comfort, cruising range, and capacity.

Mr. The Edge
09-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Our X5 has proven to be the ultimate roadtrip vehicle combining safety, comfort, cruising range, and capacity.

:yikes: :yikes:

:thumbup:

in_d_haus
09-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Cool, not exactly PLAZs opinion though

JetBlack330i
09-08-2003, 11:10 AM
I drove from Los Angeles to Laguna Seca (and back) on Satuday so I could catch a race. Total distance (for the day) was 581 miles.

I loaded up a cooler with soft drinks, and another with dry foods. Packed an armload of CD's (you go through a bunch over 10 hours) and drove into into the sunrise.

I averaged 78 mph on the way up, and 67 mph on the way down. Average fuel economy (for the entire day - including the city portions) was 21.1 mpg. My first tank was good for 464 miles. Not bad at all!

That kicks ass. :thumbup:
21.1 mpg is really awesome, considering the 78mph average.
Yeah, the tree huggers and SUV haters may do slightly better in their wagon-mobiles, but there is no way they can do it in such style, confort and safety.

Emission
09-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Cool, not exactly PLAZs opinion though

Well, considering the number of cars I have owned and driven, the X5 could be the best overall car I've ever taken on a road trip.

The seating position is tall so you can see over the other cars, the HID headlights are wonderful after dark, the handling allows you to fly through canyons, and the middle seat has enough legroom that a plastic cooler fits without sliding the front passenger seat up (trust me, you can't do that in a 3 or 5 - not even the wagon)!

I've done road trips in E36, E46, E34, E39, etc... and Suburbans, Astro minivans, Chrysler minivans, etc..... none offer the all-around performance and comfort of an X5 after 5 hours on the open road.

SmackX54.4
09-09-2003, 01:25 PM
I drove from NY to Akron last week put on over 1200 miles in a weeks time.

The last leg from Cleveland to Syracuse was 354 miles, used 14.1 Gallons of gas averaging 25.1 MPG with an average speed of 80 MPH.

Didn't even see the fuzz on the entire trip. NYS Thruway is awesome where there's no construction.

Also just went to Toronto and had 2 guests in the SAV... What a comfortable, safe & quiet ride.

SupraRZ
09-10-2003, 03:06 PM
My trip to vegas and back averaged about 18.5MPG on a 4.4 with 4 occupants. Average around 85mph. Not sure if it's good or not.

I drove from NY to Akron last week put on over 1200 miles in a weeks time.

The last leg from Cleveland to Syracuse was 354 miles, used 14.1 Gallons of gas averaging 25.1 MPG with an average speed of 80 MPH.

Didn't even see the fuzz on the entire trip. NYS Thruway is awesome where there's no construction.

Also just went to Toronto and had 2 guests in the SAV... What a comfortable, safe & quiet ride.