PDA

View Full Version : Things that piss you off the most about your BMW

Pages : [1] 2

Vinnn3
09-30-2009, 05:18 AM
What I own: 335i Coupe 2009 Black

What really pisses you off about your car?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

1.:What pisses me off the most? The side windows. When I put them down sometimes or when it rains... there are marks left all over the ****ing window. Long straight marks that need to be cleaned with window cleaner. On the inside and outside! WTF? If I get tints am I gonna have a problem?

2.: Cleaning the back ****ing window. It is hard as **** and can suck my nuts.

3.: THE BRAKE DUST! FUKDAMN****BALLSADGAOGJ

4.: WHY DID I GET BLACK?! It's so nice when its clean.. but damn its hard to keep clean.

5.: BIRD**** - Everytime I see bird**** on my car.. I want to capture a few birds.. put them in a box and **** on them.

6.: NO ALARM?! The fact that I spend 500$ a month and this ****er can't come with an alarm? I know it doesn't do ****.. but it would make me feel a little better.

7.: THE RFT's! Its a lease.. not getting new tires. I have the insurance. They suck - hard.

8.: The hardwater in my area. Ya this isn't a car problem.. but I can't even wash my own car because of this. I don't feel like going out and spending $1,000+ to solve this issue. I take it to the carwash every 2-3 weeks and wax it then spray wax/rinseless car wash in between. Ya I know this isnt the best way to do it.. but... its a lease.. and I am prob not keeping it in 2011.

8.: The fact that I have to park far and walk in the cold/rain/snow/heat because I love my car and I don't want ****heads to ruin it.

/endrant

CT
09-30-2009, 05:35 AM

/endrant
1. Find window felt and install it to the window seals. Problem solved.
2. Same way on every car I've ever owned. :(
3. There are alternative brake pads that are very low dust (for once you're out of warranty, or if you just don't mind footing the bill for that one).
4. Because it's unparalleled in beauty when clean. :thumbup:
5. Lol what?
6. Fair enough, though I don't need one in my area.
7. Agreed.
8. It's a surmountable problem.
8(2). That's a people-problem moreso than a BMW problem.

That being said, the only thing that really frustrates me is the DSC / Cruise-control deal. Nothing else really bugs me that much.

photohunts
09-30-2009, 06:14 AM
: popcorn:

energetik9
09-30-2009, 06:55 AM

1.:What pisses me off the most? The side windows. When I put them down sometimes or when it rains... there are marks left all over the ****ing window. Long straight marks that need to be cleaned with window cleaner. On the inside and outside! WTF? If I get tints am I gonna have a problem?

2.: Cleaning the back ****ing window. It is hard as **** and can suck my nuts.

4.: WHY DID I GET BLACK?! It's so nice when its clean.. but damn its hard to keep clean.

5.: BIRD**** - Everytime I see bird**** on my car.. I want to capture a few birds.. put them in a box and **** on them.

6.: NO ALARM?! The fact that I spend 500$ a month and this ****er can't come with an alarm? I know it doesn't do ****.. but it would make me feel a little better.

7.: THE RFT's! Its a lease.. not getting new tires. I have the insurance. They suck - hard.

8.: The hardwater in my area. Ya this isn't a car problem.. but I can't even wash my own car because of this. I don't feel like going out and spending $1,000+ to solve this issue. I take it to the carwash every 2-3 weeks and wax it then spray wax/rinseless car wash in between. Ya I know this isnt the best way to do it.. but... its a lease.. and I am prob not keeping it in 2011.

8.: The fact that I have to park far and walk in the cold/rain/snow/heat because I love my car and I don't want ****heads to ruin it.

/endrant

Wow....you are angry. :confused:

But really, you're pissed at BMW because of birdcrap, hardwater, a long walk, and a color you chose?

Dude, worry about the stuff you can control. Life's too short :D

hpowders
09-30-2009, 06:58 AM
1. Side mirrors suck.

2. Endless brake dust, but worth it given the great brakes.

3. No switch for turning off auto-dimming.

4. Radio display washes out with polarized sun glasses.

5. At these prices, an alarm should come standard.

6. The damn window switches for the front windows are too far forward. Whoever designed the inside of this car should be shot!

7. Run-flats standard with no performance tire option.

8. That it's not an Audi S4.

Items #1-#7 are really minor sheet.

Hope BMW fixes #8 in a hurry. Feel the power!!! :thumbup:

Vinnn3
09-30-2009, 07:04 AM
It was one of those mornings. Took a 5hour nap last night.. tired as hell. Don't want to be at work.

Mostly some of those were said to be funny.. but really.. does anything bother you on your cars? The window thing pisses me off the most and I don't know if I want to do that to a lease.. maybe a tint place can?

cwinter
09-30-2009, 07:08 AM
The love for my car makes me blind to the many imperfections other people seem to find in it.

OP, did your independent study find that it was actually YOUR car that started the war between Russia and Georgia in 2008? Just wonderin'... ;)

KentW
09-30-2009, 07:11 AM
endless brake dust...radio display wash-out with polarized sun glasses....an alarm should come standard.

I agree with those three. They're about the only annoyances that I have with my car.

The brake dust thing isn't new...it was a problem with my E39 as well. I knew about it, so I was prepared to clean the wheels once a week or so. Not really that big a deal.

The radio display wash-out is mystifying...I don't understand why they can't fix that, since the other displays don't wash out. Very strange. I simply tilt my head 45 degrees or so to the right when I need to see the display. But, I shouldn't have to.

My last car was broken into in a restaurant parking lot, and it had an alarm. A lot of good that did. Still, at this price point, it should be standard equipment. I do miss the blinking clown nose. :(

slant83
09-30-2009, 07:17 AM
OP....anything you like about your car?

Vinnn3
09-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Yes everything else. This list isn't that bad. You guys really are that goo-goo-ga-ga over your car that you can't find a fault with it? There are faults with almost every car. Can't just have a discussion? Im not bashing the BMW or saying I would of never bought it. Just some **** that annoys me.

w5lx
09-30-2009, 07:49 AM
1, Run Flats

2. No spare tire

2. No oil dip stick in engine

3. No water temp gauge

4. No alarm system as standard equipment

Other than that, I love my car.:)

cwinter
09-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Yes everything else. This list isn't that bad. You guys really are that goo-goo-ga-ga over your car that you can't find a fault with it? There are faults with almost every car. Can't just have a discussion? Im not bashing the BMW or saying I would of never bought it. Just some **** that annoys me.

I'd venture to say it's simply the manner in which you presented your thoughts in your initial post that have people wondering why you got the car in the first place.

It's all good, you can usually always have a good discussion here. There are enough people here that realize that BMWs aren't above all in every category.

Vinnn3
09-30-2009, 08:01 AM
I hate how the internet cannot express the tone of ones voice. You try your best so it would sound sarcastic and funny, but it does not always turn out that way.

cwinter
09-30-2009, 08:03 AM
I hate how the internet cannot express the tone of ones voice. You try your best so it would sound sarcastic and funny, but it does not always turn out that way.

I hear ya!

MrBones
09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
HPFP. First one replaced at 11,000 miles. Now at 13,000 miles, yesterday starting shuddering, this morning a long crank and shuddering. Haven't gotten the half engine icon yet, but called the dealer and they said to bring it. SA said BMW is "working real hard on a solution" and that they're replacing a lot of hpfp's.

OP-you'll be adding this to your list sooner or later....:mad:

energetik9
09-30-2009, 08:38 AM

No worries. It's true. Every car is different and really that's a good thing. But because they are all different there are things we like and don't like. I also believe that no matter what you buy.....there's always a car out there that is better, faster, etc.

You just sounded a little pissed off :D

hpowders
09-30-2009, 08:40 AM
I prefer a good face to face to internet conversation especially with a good woman.

The more I look at it, the more I love mein list. :D

BMW_GAL
09-30-2009, 08:42 AM
That it didn't come with an alarm...and that I get a bunch of haters around wherever I go :(

Blubaron79
09-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Alarms are stupid anyway. The ass is going to break into your car reguardless.

1. Brake Dust
2. Having to park it far away to avoid a-holes. (Though I used to do this in my 88 LeBaron that I had in college)

Nothing to hate about my car really... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

hpowders
09-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Parking far away from a-holes has nothing to do with what PO's you about the car itself. :dunno:

philadendron
09-30-2009, 09:22 AM
My biggest thing is that I put my work bag in my back seat when I drive to work. When I get to work, I get out, close my driver door, go to open the rear door, and it's...LOCKED. I effing hate that. Please unlock all my doors when I open my driver's door, or at least give me the option to. After all, my 2006 Ford Fusion had that "feature".

Oh, and brake dust.

TofuTurkey
09-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I solved brake dust (and general wheel cleaning) by getting matte gray wheels. That also solved the RFT problem by having all-seasons non-RFT at the same time. Also got myself a spare tire.

Don't know if I need the alarm, I don't leave anything costly in the car. If I'm worried about damage to the car, that will still happen whether or not there's an alarm I think. If there's no one else around, what's the use of a wailing alarm?

I'm driving it more frequently now. I think I'm embarrassed with the attention, maybe it's the wheels. At stoplights I still see people staring.

And I think people aren't used to fast acceleration especially during peak hours, around where I stay anyway. So even if the lane I'm in suddenly opens up in front, I can't accelerate too fast since someone will probably move into my lane.

That's about it :eeps:

matts335
09-30-2009, 09:44 AM
My biggest thing is that I put my work bag in my back seat when I drive to work. When I get to work, I get out, close my driver door, go to open the rear door, and it's...LOCKED. I effing hate that. Please unlock all my doors when I open my driver's door, or at least give me the option to. After all, my 2006 Ford Fusion had that "feature".

I have to agree with your there. both acuras i've owned had a setting you could choose so that all doors would unlock when you shift into park. Plus, the unlock button in the center I find kind of irritating.

hmmm....what else. I agree with the no alarm thing....but what about the floor mats? No one has a problem with the fact that they can't even throw in effin floor mats? yes, i know, most dealers will cover it, but still....that should come standard from the factory.

HPFP - only had one replaced so far, but i'm only at 4500 miles. I fully expect a return trip.

huge wheel gap for xi. totally unecessary. the 535xi doesn't have that much gap, why does the 3 series? yes, can be fixed with aftermarket, but that's an expensive, warranty voiding process i'd rather not go through. Plus, i'm happy with the ride, just no the look. No desire for a firmer (more firm?) suspension.

almost forgot.....RATTLES!! the one in the b-pillar next to my ear drives me nuts.

DSXMachina
09-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Nothing about my car pisses me off. Even if the HPFP eventually fails I'll just deal with it like I've dealt with the RFTs. I've seen too many real problems to ever let something piss me off which I could simply sell.

cwinter
09-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I have to agree with your there. both acuras i've owned had a setting you could choose so that all doors would unlock when you shift into park. Plus, the unlock button in the center I find kind of irritating.

I for one am glad the button is where it is. It is easy to reach, plus, in my other car(s), my wife as a passenger would CONSTANTLY unlock the doors when the car was moving, because she'd take her shoes off and put her feet on the seat, eventually hitting the unlock button on the door.

It was mostly irritating because the locks were so loud in that car!

The reason that it does not unlock upon stopping is for safety reasons. Why are you locking your doors in the first place? They could have still made an auto-unlock option though if you want to go that route, I agree with that.

The more I think about it, the less I find things that really truly irritate me. I might change a few things but then, the perfect vehicle probably costs more than a BMW 3-series.

matts335
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Why are you locking your doors in the first place?

You can set it so the doors automatically lock when you start moving. So random people don't jump into your car...or so little kiddies don't make a break for it. It would seem if they give you the option of automatically locking, the reverse should also be true. Minor point. More than anything it's just getting used to the features of a new car.

BMW-Esq.
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Rust on my freakin' "hats" (i believe they're called) as part of the wheel assembly.

and the alarm / panic button feature missing (seriously?? i had it my honda standard WTH bmw?!)

BlindGoldfish
09-30-2009, 10:45 AM
1. Double opening the handle to unlock the door. Girls get scared when they can't get out of the front seat and I have my hand down my pants.

2. iDrive radio navigation skips around sometimes. And having to click and spin 3 times to even get to the radio when I start the car.

3. The "OMFG THERE'S A PROBLEM" *ding* that occurs one more time after whatever problem was fixed (most of the time not pulling the key out the second I open the door)

I love so much else about the car that these three are not bothersome though.

Emission
09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
No spare tire
Lousy satellite radio reception

However, it's still the best overall car in the world. :thumbup:

- Mike

cwinter
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
You can set it so the doors automatically lock when you start moving. So random people don't jump into your car...or so little kiddies don't make a break for it. It would seem if they give you the option of automatically locking, the reverse should also be true. Minor point. More than anything it's just getting used to the features of a new car.

But that's my point. You lock them in the first place to be safe, so you do not forgot. It seems counterintuitive to unlock them once stopped automatically. I wouldn't set it to auto unlock if I had the option, but I DO agree that there should be the option for those who want it.

thekurgan
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
I've got nothing to complain about in the M coupe. Everything that is lacks is my personal choice.

Vinnn3
09-30-2009, 11:13 AM
How do you set it to auto lock when you put it into drive?

BMW_GAL
09-30-2009, 11:24 AM
How do you set it to auto lock when you put it into drive?

If you have iDrive there will be a setting to lock the doors when the car goes. Its under car settings and when you go about 5mph, I think it'll lock the doors then. That's how I have it set on mine.

Mk23
09-30-2009, 11:48 AM
I've got to express my frustration with the OP's statement about grease marks getting all over the windows you roll down. I have the same issue and most people thought it was due to the sealant they use for shipping the car. But now I know that isn't the case (been almost a year now).

Does ANYONE have any idea of how to get rid of the grease on the window when you roll it down? (and yes it does get on both inside and out as well)

P.s. How does felt on the window sill solve this issue? If anything it smears it a bit... :confused:

GinoDotCom
09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
The pothole explosion (even with non run flats) is the only thing I TRULY TRULY hate about my car. There is a few things here and there that are not perfect, but the loud and violent "BANG" that I get inside the car when I hit a bump or fall into a small pothole is just UNACCEPTABLE for such an expensive car. The sound is almost as if you feel into a 2 feet deep hole when it's only a fraction of that. I am tired of this. Makes me want to move out of NY.. lol.

One thing that is annoying is for anyone that has a light interior like beige/gray....the top dashboard should match the color of your interior choice...not always black by default. And no I don't want to hear that it's a good sun repellent yada yada... You're more than likely driving with shades anyway for the itty bitty 20% of extra reflection you'll probably get vs a black dashboard. Mercedes matches their interior all the way around and it looks so much better that way.

It's also time for some LEDs!! Still, Halogen interior lighting for 2009? Umm, no.

Joeb427
09-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Having to open the door handle twice to exit.
No auto up of steering wheel when engine is turned off ala Lexus.
Run flats.

cwinter
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Run flats.

That option is part of the Senior Citizen Package. You can only get it on Lexus', Cadillacs, or Buicks...

:D ;)

Joeb427
09-30-2009, 12:42 PM
That option is part of the Senior Citizen Package. You can only get it on Lexus', Cadillacs, or Buicks...

:D ;):rofl:

I have an AARP card but I'm not quite a Senior citizen.
The Lexis IS and GS and maybe the IS-F has that feature.;)

Mineo335i
09-30-2009, 12:52 PM
1. HPFP
2. When you open the door, you cant have the windows go up all the way with 1 touch :(
3. No way to roll windows up from the remote!@#@!#

TofuTurkey
09-30-2009, 12:57 PM
The pothole explosion (even with non run flats) is the only thing I TRULY TRULY hate about my car. There is a few things here and there that are not perfect, but the loud and violent "BANG" that I get inside the car when I hit a bump or fall into a small pothole is just UNACCEPTABLE for such an expensive car. The sound is almost as if you feel into a 2 feet deep hole when it's only a fraction of that. I am tired of this. Makes me want to move out of NY.. lol.

+1
I can't believe I forgot about the explosions :eeps:

I will test this again when I'm looking at what to lease next years. I need to find some place near the dealership with some potholes...

neapolitan
09-30-2009, 01:00 PM

I thought it was sarcastic and funny! Especially the bird in a box. Ignore the imagination-impaired. :)

I agree, in general it is possible to write some pretty sage non-controversial stuff and people then get all worked up in idiotic fashion on the internet. :(

Re: #5, I totally disagree though. I hate car alarms. All of them, always chirping and squealing and adding noise pollution to the city. I think they just do nothing, and if somebody *really* wants your car, they will probably get it (or do something so bad to it so that you won't want it anymore.) Also, it is not needed in any areas I frequent...

neapolitan
09-30-2009, 01:02 PM

:D ;)

Yeah, seriously. How fat do you have to get before you need more room to get out? I think the 5 series has this standard BTW (one of my colleagues 5 series does it, and it is a source of endless amusement for me with jokes just like cwinter's.)

carve
09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
The overall driving experience of this car is great, but some of the details are frustrating. Most of my frustrations have to do with the wheels/tires and the locks.

*Brake dust on wheels
*Key sometimes not detected if I park by a radio tower!
*LOTS OF THINGS about the doorlocks. The double-pull makes no sense. It should open on the first pull. No reason not to. My idiot father-in-law damn near ripped the handle out of the door...had his elbow against the panel and was pulling with four fingers! Started a big confrontation. The lock/unlock button should be on the door. With it on the dash, if I want to get something out of the back seat I either have to fumble around for the key or get back in the car. Bad ergonomics. Also, unless you have the key you can't even lock the door by pushing the plunger! What's it for then?
*window switches too far forward
*radio display invisible with polarized glasses. I'd consider that unacceptable in a daewoo, and it would've been so easy for them to orient the polarizer the other way like EVERY OTHER DISPLAY IN AUTODOM! (a piece of overhead projector film makes it useable, although it's kind of tacky)
*no spare tire well, forcing you to use runflats or sacrifice your trunk
*no cloth seat option, so I always get all sweaty. If they want to use seats made from a materiel that doesn't breathe, they should be perforated and ventilated
*ventillation fan way too loud for a lux car...or any car for that matter
*lack of storage
*expensive, priopriotary fluids
*no service instructions in the owners manual!
*owners manual won't fit in glove box
*doesn't sound as quiet and solid as my 98 Accord in bumpy areas (a bit crashy and rattly), but I think that's more indicitive of the stiff legs than poor build quality.
*Front tire wear on outside edge
*No LSD on a car this powerful makes the right rear tire wear out much quicker, but the tires can't be rotated
*voice control sucks on non-idrive cars...FAR inferior to my old motorola razor, and can be used for nothing besides dialing the phone.

Just so I don't sound too bitchy, my favorite things about this car are far more important to me than the minor annoyances
*POWER
*Handling is so confidence inspiring
*Near Corvette performance with near civic practicality
*Beautiful!
*Comfortable
*Turbo high-altitude performance, and minimal lag
*Amazing brakes and stability control
*4 year (for me)/100k CPO warranty
*Amazing headlights

Joeb427
09-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, seriously. How fat do you have to get before you need more room to get out? I think the 5 series has this standard BTW (one of my colleagues 5 series does it, and it is a source of endless amusement for me with jokes just like cwinter's.)
:D

I'm a bit overweight but I don't consider myself fat.:)
I've had a couple of Lexus vehicles and have one now with the wife RX and am used to the feature.

Air cooled seats are nice too.

BMW_GAL
09-30-2009, 01:08 PM

I'm a bit overweight but I don't consider myself fat.:)I've had a couple of Lexus vehicles and have one now with the wife RX and am used to the feature.

Air cooled seats are nice too.

You can say there's just more to love :D

Joeb427
09-30-2009, 01:09 PM
The overall driving experience of this car is great, but some of the details are frustrating. Most of my frustrations have to do with the wheels/tires and the locks.

*Brake dust on wheels
*Key sometimes not detected if I park by a radio tower!
*LOTS OF THINGS about the doorlocks. The double-pull makes no sense. It should open on the first pull. No reason not to. My idiot father-in-law damn near ripped the handle out of the door...had his elbow against the panel and was pulling with four fingers! Started a big confrontation. The lock/unlock button should be on the door. With it on the dash, if I want to get something out of the back seat I either have to fumble around for the key or get back in the car. Bad ergonomics. Also, unless you have the key you can't even lock the door by pushing the plunger! What's it for then?
*window switches too far forward
*radio display invisible with polarized glasses. I'd consider that unacceptable in a daewoo, and it would've been so easy for them to orient the polarizer the other way like EVERY OTHER DISPLAY IN AUTODOM! (a piece of overhead projector film makes it useable, although it's kind of tacky)
*no spare tire well, forcing you to use runflats or sacrifice your trunk
*no cloth seat option, so I always get all sweaty. If they want to use seats made from a materiel that doesn't breathe, they should be perforated and ventilated
*ventillation fan way too loud for a lux car...or any car for that matter
*lack of storage
*expensive, priopriotary fluids
*no service instructions in the owners manual!
*owners manual won't fit in glove box
*doesn't sound as quiet and solid as my 98 Accord in bumpy areas (a bit crashy and rattly), but I think that's more indicitive of the stiff legs than poor build quality.
*Front tire wear on outside edge
*No LSD on a car this powerful makes the right rear tire wear out much quicker, but the tires can't be rotated
*voice control sucks on non-idrive cars...FAR inferior to my old motorola razor, and can be used for nothing besides dialing the phone.

I usually warn people about the double pull.

cwinter
09-30-2009, 01:09 PM

I'm a bit overweight but I don't consider myself fat.:)
I've had a couple of Lexus vehicles and have one now with the wife RX and am used to the feature.

A co-worker of mine has an RX that does this and I always find it amusing. I think it has its place but I wouldn't care to have it or pay extra for it. I have no issues getting in and out of the car. I also find entry features that move the seat backwards somewhat useless.

It's all personal preference and what you're used to. The Lexus crowd, I suppose, just expects stuff like this to be standard now, I suppose.

Joeb427
09-30-2009, 01:10 PM
You can say there's just more to love :D:rofl::thumbup:

JeffL
09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
It's not an M3.

carve
09-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I usually warn people about the double pull.

Yeah...I was turning around to warn him and by the time the first word came out of my mouth I heard a cracking sound :( So, I had to raise my voice to get him to stop ASAP, which pissed him off. Point being though, you or I shouldn't have to give passengers in our cars door-opening advice.

Joeb427
09-30-2009, 01:14 PM
A co-worker of mine has an RX that does this and I always find it amusing. I think it has its place but I wouldn't care to have it or pay extra for it. I have no issues getting in and out of the car. I also find entry features that move the seat backwards somewhat useless.

It's all personal preference and what you're used to. The Lexus crowd, I suppose, just expects stuff like this to be standard now, I suppose.

CW,that's the truth.
Especially when you consider a 335i is over $5K more than a comparably equipped IS 350 that has more standard features.

Joeb427
09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Yeah...I was turning around to warn him and by the time the first word came out of my mouth I heard a cracking sound :( So, I had to raise my voice to get him to stop ASAP, which pissed him off. Point being though, you or I shouldn't have to give passengers in our cars door-opening advice.

That's as aggrivating as when you're trying to unlock the passenger door with the button and the person keeps trying to open the door with the handle and it doesn't unlock.:D

GinoDotCom
09-30-2009, 01:21 PM

Agreed.

P.S. Your father in law is a F'in idiot.:)

GinoDotCom
09-30-2009, 01:26 PM
After reading this whole thread...I think my 335 is a P.O.S now :(

Joeb427
09-30-2009, 01:29 PM

and you're an idiot for buying one.:p :rofl:

cwinter
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM

It took you this long, after joining Bimmerfest over a year ago, to figure out that your car is utter crap? You must not be reading much...

:rofl:

matts335
09-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Run flats.

I don't care about the auto up, but simpy have a power adjustable steering is nice. Have it in my MDX and it's great. Another acura/lexus feature BMW fails to include....or even have as an option.....BACKUP CAMERA!
I mean, come on....if you have the navigation screen, how hard is it to add a little camera to the back of the car? So many much lower cost vehicles come with a back up camera.
I know a lot of people will say that's a stupid feature, but once you have a car with one, you realize how useful it is (at least some of the time).

Joeb427
09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't care about the auto up, but simpy have a power adjustable steering is nice. Have it in my MDX and it's great. Another acura/lexus feature BMW fails to include....or even have as an option.....BACKUP CAMERA!
I mean, come on....if you have the navigation screen, how hard is it to add a little camera to the back of the car? So many much lower cost vehicles come with a back up camera.
I know a lot of people will say that's a stupid feature, but once you have a car with one, you realize how useful it is (at least some of the time).

Funny thing is even a '09 Tacoma 6 cyl has a back up camera as standard equipment.:rofl:

AzNMpower32
09-30-2009, 01:38 PM
There isn't one single thing that makes me dislike my mother's 325i, but it adds up.

1. Vibration at idle. Happens in any gear and is felt through........everything.
2. Dimwitted automatic.
3. Broken fuel flow sensor (having this addressed)

Kilgore Trout
09-30-2009, 01:49 PM

One thing that is annoying is for anyone that has a light interior like beige/gray....the top dashboard should match the color of your interior choice...not always black by default. And no I don't want to hear that it's a good sun repellent yada yada... You're more than likely driving with shades anyway for the itty bitty 20% of extra reflection you'll probably get vs a black dashboard. Mercedes matches their interior all the way around and it looks so much better that way.

It's also time for some LEDs!! Still, Halogen interior lighting for 2009? Umm, no.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. But, I love the black dash with my gray interior. I like all the contrast.

hpowders
09-30-2009, 01:49 PM
1. HPFP
2. When you open the door, you cant have the windows go up all the way with 1 touch :(
3. No way to roll windows up from the remote!@#@!#

What's HPFP and how does it cause you trouble?

Maybe you should open a separate thread about it.

hpowders
09-30-2009, 01:51 PM
It pisses me off that nothing pisses these guys off.

bikenski
09-30-2009, 01:51 PM
1. Obnoxious ice warning that startles me every winter morning after backing out of the garage and driving halfway down the block

2. No spare tire

3. No dipstick

4. Useless cup holders

5. HPFP

furby076
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
1) Brake dust
2) It seems noisy when driving, as if the doors are not sealed properly
3) Center speaker is blown out. For premium - give me a break (is this covered under warranty)?

Jessi328xi
09-30-2009, 02:05 PM
people look at me crazy when i say pull twice

hpowders
09-30-2009, 02:07 PM
people look at me crazy when i say pull twice

Different strokes for different folks.

Pull as often as necessary.

carve
09-30-2009, 02:15 PM

A backup camera would be nice. The thick pillers and high beltline in back makes this car very difficult to back up compared to my Cherokee or Accord.

That said, I like the manual steering column, and wish more things in this car were manually adjustable. Manual adjustment is cheaper, lighter, faster, and more reliable. The only advantage of power adjustment is there are infinitely variable increments (not that important) and it's safter to adjust while driving (probably shouldn't do that anyway). Oh- and memory buttons, but I don't miss those at all in my other cars.

The only thing that's important to have power adjustment on is the outside mirrors, because they're hard to reach.

hpowders
09-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Backup camera. Geez! :tsk:

Next thing, folks will be asking BMW to make the car park itself like the freakin' comatose Lexus LS. :thumbdwn:

KentW
09-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Useless cup holders

They're better than the cupholders in my last two cars (2000 Saab 9-5, 2002 E39). The ones in the E39 were an absolute joke.

thekurgan
09-30-2009, 02:22 PM
4. Useless cup holders

You should be able to find the EU part that is the decorative cover and delete them. Second thing I did after seeing them in the car.

KentW
09-30-2009, 02:25 PM
You should be able to find the EU part that is the decorative cover and delete them. Second thing I did after seeing them in the car.

What good does that do? :dunno:

thekurgan
09-30-2009, 02:39 PM
What good does that do? :dunno:

Well, if you don't like them, get rid of them, but you don't want a blank space where they were, do you?

BlueC
09-30-2009, 02:44 PM
No complaints... yet.

cwinter
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Well, if you don't like them, get rid of them, but you don't want a blank space where they were, do you?

Pictures? Don't the covers look just the way the cupholders would look if you kept them hidden in the dash?

Don't tell me you did it to save the weight. :)

thekurgan
09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Pictures? Don't the covers look just the way the cupholders would look if you kept them hidden in the dash?

Don't tell me you did it to save the weight. :)

The rattled and were worthless in this car. I'll snap a pic later today or tonight but yes, it looks like they do in the EU, blank, matching the dash and eliminated the rattle(s). Cheap ass fisher price plastic. Here is the initial thread to remove them:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161444

1986pacecar
09-30-2009, 02:50 PM
I've only been a member of this forum for a very short period of time and rarely post but do check it out once in a while and the one thing I notice is all the bitching about the cars. I am also a member of the Corvette Forum and Corvette owners are so fiercely loyal that I rarely see complaints about build quality and after owning three I can tell you BMW has it all over Chevy. Corvettes cost are on par with BMWs but apparently inspire more devotion than does BMW. Why all the hate? I love my 06 325XI and plan on upgrading to a 335 a couple years down the road but all this complaining has me wondering if something is wrong with BMW. There seems to be more love here for Infinity and Lexus than there is BMW. What am I missing?

cwinter
09-30-2009, 02:53 PM
The rattled and were worthless in this car. I'll snap a pic later today or tonight but yes, it looks like they do in the EU, blank, matching the dash and eliminated the rattle(s). Cheap ass fisher price plastic. Here is the initial thread to remove them:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161444

Seems like a difficult process to remove them, but interesting. I never notice mine rattling, UNLESS they are in use. Is that what you are talking about? I do not notice a rattle with them pushed into the dash. They get used very sparingly, but for those instances, I do like to have them.

Saintor
09-30-2009, 03:06 PM
The main gripe and by far I had with my car was the lack of engine sound - like a Lexus. It cost me more than a grand to fix this (BMW performance exhaust) and not quite like my E46.

The dreaded ticking sound.... my '80s Audi had this for few seconds while the engine head would fill with oil... on the BMW it is MINUTES, long ones.

Rattles inside, the cockpit is creaking like mad recently.

No engine temp. gauge... I bought a Scangauge.

Not even ROOM to put a spare. :mad: I got rid of my RFT.

Dash material should be better (ref/E46) in this category.

Lack of support for accessories; you want a block heater, remote starter or an hitch? BMW had decided for you.

I still love my car, but many of those annoyances could make me having a second look at competitors.

hpowders
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
I've only been a member of this forum for a very short period of time and rarely post but do check it out once in a while and the one thing I notice is all the bitching about the cars. I am also a member of the Corvette Forum and Corvette owners are so fiercely loyal that I rarely see complaints about build quality and after owning three I can tell you BMW has it all over Chevy. Corvettes cost are on par with BMWs but apparently inspire more devotion than does BMW. Why all the hate? I love my 06 325XI and plan on upgrading to a 335 a couple years down the road but all this complaining has me wondering if something is wrong with BMW. There seems to be more love here for Infinity and Lexus than there is BMW. What am I missing?

What?? Completely the opposite. Folks here love BMW. Some of them also like Audi and Infiniti. I don't know where you found people here passionate about Lexus. I haven't seen any except for one mis-guided New Englander.

KentW
09-30-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't know where you found people here passionate about Lexus. I haven't seen any except for one mis-guided New Englander.

A Lexus is just a re-badged Toyota.

Oh, wait...it really is! :D

BMW_GAL
09-30-2009, 03:14 PM

So if you can't get afford a Lexus, you get the next best thing: a Toyota :lmao:

hpowders
09-30-2009, 03:14 PM

I have a friend who owns a Lexus GS and when I told him a lot of the parts used to make the car are Toyota parts, he just stared vacuously ahead as it apparently made no impact on him. Maybe Lexus owners don't care that they are driving re-badged Toyotas.

BMW_GAL
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I have a friend who owns a Lexus GS and when I told him a lot of the parts used to make the car are Toyota parts, he just stared vacuously ahead as it apparently made no impact on him. Lexus owners don't seem to care that they are driving re-badged Toyotas.

This so called "friend" is you huh? :lmao:

thekurgan
09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Seems like a difficult process to remove them, but interesting. I never notice mine rattling, UNLESS they are in use. Is that what you are talking about? I do not notice a rattle with them pushed into the dash. They get used very sparingly, but for those instances, I do like to have them.

It took no more than 10 minutes to do both. Absolutely silent in the cabin now, but then again, the E86 chassis is extremely stiff in its construction.

PS I never use them in any car, I'm not a believer in having food or drink in the car.

hpowders
09-30-2009, 03:27 PM
This so called "friend" is you huh? :lmao:

Ha! Ha! Ha! Nooooo. I don't live in some bizarro fantasy world.

It's this conservative guy/friend who drives like 10 mph under the speed limit on the interstate and who won't set foot in my car 'cause I give him and his wife a heart attack when I'm driving! Ha! Ha!:D

Lexus people are like..... different.... very, very, very different. :loco:

I have never owned a Lexus. To me that's like owning a minivan.

Folks, please don't send me nasty cards and letters. I get enough already and I am months behind in answering them.

ProfessorCook
09-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Let's give them some credit, eh? Except for that little problem of the floor mats jamming the accelerator in the down position causing horrific accidents, Toyota and Lexus has some really fine cars. Hell no, they ain't a BMW or a Porsche for that matter, but they're fine cars for most people.

ProfessorCook
09-30-2009, 03:50 PM

I think we're most often accused of drinking so much BMW Kool-Aid (TM) that we buy cars without checking out other brands and that we think we're superior. (Not true of all of us, btw.) Naw... in general we love our cars. That's why this thread is going wild, though. It's kind of refreshing to have a group rant.

karimsha
09-30-2009, 03:58 PM
hey there , thats a cool thread, do you think BMW may see this and do something ? I doubt .. What I hate about my CAR IS :-

the color i chose,
the light beig interiors.

rattles form the driver door or the dash board i cant specify

Tough RFTs

tight trunk

No Alrm
No PDC for such a price .. I know I should not compare , but teh passat is way cheaper and its fully loaded even with AUTO PARK option

ProfessorCook
09-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh, btw, I don't hate anything about my car. OTOH, here are a few complaints.

1. The passenger door grab handle should not be able to be torn off by a 12 year old girl. (Took a month to get it fixed... it's fine now.)
2. If I'm being... uhm... assertive on a good sweeping curve, roughness in the pavement will cause the car to skip laterally. I suspect this is a RFT problem.
3. CA and others have scared me about explosions and rim damage and bubbles. Now, when I see an unavoidable road defect coming on fast, I disproportionately react. Blood pressure soars, breath gets sucked in, eyes get wide, pupils dilate, lips pull back in an anticipatory, joker-like grimmace, passengers see me and panic, dog freaks out... kwa-THUMP! and it's over. Not an explosion actually... not yet. But it's probably going to result in a hit on my longevity.

Spitfirocks
09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Nothing -)

matts335
09-30-2009, 04:12 PM

1. The passenger door grab handle should not be able to be torn off by a 12 year old girl. (Took a month to get it fixed... it's fine now.)
2. If I'm being... uhm... assertive on a good sweeping curve, roughness in the pavement will cause the car to skip laterally. I suspect this is a RFT problem.
3. CA and others have scared me about explosions and rim damage and bubbles. Now, when I see an unavoidable road defect coming on fast, I disproportionately react. Blood pressure soars, breath gets sucked in, eyes get wide, pupils dilate, lips pull back in an anticipatory, joker-like grimmace, passengers see me and panic, dog freaks out... kwa-THUMP! and it's over. Not an explosion actually... not yet. But it's probably going to result in a hit on my longevity.

Ha! You paint quite a picture prof. :)

KentW
09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
CA and others have scared me about explosions and rim damage and bubbles. Now, when I see an unavoidable road defect coming on fast, I disproportionately react. Blood pressure soars, breath gets sucked in, eyes get wide, pupils dilate, lips pull back in an anticipatory, joker-like grimmace, passengers see me and panic, dog freaks out... kwa-THUMP! and it's over.

So true. I dodged a piece of what turned out to be vinyl siding in the road the other day. I'm sure it would've hardly registered on the suspension. Still, you never know...damn thing could've had a nail in it and popped my RFTs or something.

neapolitan
09-30-2009, 04:36 PM
[snip]

Professor, I am flattered, but you need to properly cite your sources.

References:
1. Neapolitan, ID. Infamous Pothole Explosions Thread. Bimmerfest, page 9, post #220. 2/11/2009.

Hahaha, it is one of the things that make the car great. See an approaching pothole? Can't avoid it? Brace yourself, hold the wheel tight, flex your abs, cringe, and

*KABLAM*

Is the car still in one piece? The first time I did that I thought the car was totaled and wondered why the air bags didn't deploy. Now, I hardly notice, but it still is weird.

RFTsFTW!

Also available at: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336867&highlight=

jummo
09-30-2009, 04:41 PM
While I bemoan the lack of a spare tire and jack et al., it hasn't actually been a problem...yet.

The window switches on the driver's armrest are too far forward. I still open the wrong windows after 41K.

The HVAC is louder than it's effectiveness.

But the only thing that really pisses me off is the way the car keeps saying "Go ahead, punch it!
You know you want to. C'mon! I'll make that sound you like. What's the point of having me and all these great roads, if you are going to drive like some responsible citizen?"

jummo

zymmee
09-30-2009, 05:23 PM
i have just a couple points off the top of my head:
1. brake dust and the need to go to the cleaning section of every store I ever go in so I can continue my search for the ultimate wheel brush.
2. window smear
3. the black steering wheel bezel and door handles is not a durable finish and stains with rain drops.
4. there is a fine line between being in the right position and not seeing the turn signals
5. HPFP issue should not be happening after three years
6. BMW should be handwashing their cars
7. to scroll through mp3 disks the car has to play the first second of each track not once but twice.
8, the seatbelt reacher works only 50% of the time
9. The brushed aluminum door trim is covered in nicks from me promising to not fling off my seatbelt but forgetting every time
10. the nav screen should be able to completly black out
11. the orange ceiling lights should be on a switch
12. the mirrors seem really dark at night. It's very hard to look for the police coming up from behind
13. the gas door should be lockable.
14. the back of the seat should be vented to reduce back sweat.
15. the interior lights make it impossible to fix your hair or check for pimples in the mirrors (can't see anything)
16. could be better storage for loose change and what nots
17. at $127/hour the dealer should try harder to make me happy.
18. having a car that comes with a jack is handy.
yep.... that's about it

icky
09-30-2009, 05:34 PM
1. The fact that the light for the rain sensors is on the end of the stalk and i can't ever see it because it's directly behind the steering wheel so I never know if the rain sensor is on or not. Why can't the light just be on the dash like everything else?

2. My halo's can't be DRL's :(

3. DSC being so far away. Would be nice if it was on the steering wheel.

4. Cup Holder placement

5. Why are the "adaptive" headlights only on when it's on Auto?

6. Brakes constantly squeaking.

7. The fact that the BMW dealership has had my car since 7/31 and still can't figure out what's wrong with it and my lease is up in 1 month.

8. My loaner (08 328xi) making a high pitch humming noise whenever I unlock it that makes me want to throw a brick at it.

9. The random burning oil smell I get from my loaner that comes and goes absolutely randomly independent of whether or not the engine is warm/cold.

Other than that... I've loved it!

xtremecruiser
09-30-2009, 05:36 PM
1. Mine leaks like it has no windows when it rains
2. I have to leave towels in the seat and floor so they don't have standing water in them when it rains
3. The wet fracking towels in my seats and floor after it rains
4. BMW customer service that is useless
5. When BMW customer service calls my boss 5 times in one week and then he calls me asking WTF is wrong with them
6. Seeing the worlds dirtiest black BMW in the world every morning

tturboleadfoot
09-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Love the car but just a few minor gripes.

1. Cup holder placement causes beverages to spill out onto console even when I nurse the gas.
2. Double pull unlock
3. Rear doors not unlocking when i get out and go for my coat in back seat.
4. The fact that I have to get all the way back in to reach to unlock button in center of dash.
5. Annoying warnings and dings.
6. My third speeding ticket......... okay that's my fault but who can blame a guy it's so fun to nail that pedal.

On the plus
I had 3 other different luxury cars and none gave me the pleasure I get from driving this BMW twin turbo bad ass.

hpowders
09-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Try a Cayman S with PDK.

captainaudio
09-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Let's give them some credit, eh? Except for that little problem of the floor mats jamming the accelerator in the down position causing horrific accidents, Toyota and Lexus has some really fine cars. Hell no, they ain't a BMW or a Porsche for that matter, but they're fine cars for most people.

I have one MAJOR compliant with the BMW (Pothole Explosions). Every other gripe is a minor annoyance that I can easily live with.

CA

Vikingminn
09-30-2009, 06:31 PM
The window switches on the driver's armrest are too far forward. I still open the wrong windows after 41K.

jummo

I do the same thing.

GreatDane
09-30-2009, 06:32 PM
That I don't have one
Yet

Sky Keeper
09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
performance:
mainly RFTs... there should be someone who got a nice bonus for this idea...
secondary - not enough front camber.
also LSD(either mechanical, or have a way to leave emulation on without stability) and 3rd gear that's too long (or 2nd that's too short).

small features: automatic wipers are too fast even on smallest setting and dealer responds as "working as intended".

PS. I like brake dust... after 5 months the rims actually look cool :)

neapolitan
09-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Ha! You paint quite a picture prof. :)

Plagiarized. He is pulling a Kaavya Viswanathan. :p See my Post #93.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaavya_Viswanathan

neapolitan
09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I do the same thing.

After 2+ years of ownership and rolling down the window *every single day* to get into the hospital parking garage, I also occasionally do that too.

I have to put my hands down, feel where I think the lever should be, then walk my hands forward to make sure that is actually where the lever is, then roll down the window. I can do it in a split second now without looking, but the placement is just wrong... :dunno:

AzNMpower32
09-30-2009, 06:54 PM
small features: automatic wipers are too fast even on smallest setting and dealer responds as "working as intended".

Everyone's definition of "ideal wipe interval" varies, but one suggestion I can say: make sure your wipers are not streaking and wipe cleanly. If it streaks, the rain sensor interprets this as "moisture" and wipes more often than needed.

clindc
09-30-2009, 07:17 PM
I love my baby, all the idiosyncracies, everything! I can even tolerate the headliner not being black, and the cupholders. The reason being I don't allow beverages in my car.

ProfessorCook
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Professor, I am flattered, but you need to properly cite your sources.

References:
1. Neapolitan, ID. Infamous Pothole Explosions Thread. Bimmerfest, page 9, post #220. 2/11/2009.

Also available at: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336867&highlight=

You may not believe this, neapolitan, but I hadn't read that. I am struck by the similarities. As with others, we are bonded in a shared experience of dread. There's also something about great minds thinking alike, but I don't claim my mind is all that great.

and I contend that kwa-THUMP is better than kablaam.

I do, however, hereby officially give you credit for writing essentially the same thing first. If I see a little farther, it's because I stand on the shoulders of giants. (Or something like that.)

Marine5302
09-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Getting a recall letter from BMW, 2 months after buying it.

hpowders
09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
The front window switches are too far forward. What am I Godzilla? I can barely reach them. When I'm not looking, I always open the rear window by mistake. Whoever designed the ergonomics of my vehicle should be shot.

Nordic_Kat
09-30-2009, 08:01 PM
It was one of those mornings. Took a 5hour nap last night.. tired as hell. Don't want to be at work.

Mostly some of those were said to be funny.. but really.. does anything bother you on your cars? The window thing pisses me off the most and I don't know if I want to do that to a lease.. maybe a tint place can?

Wow! I thought the streaks up the windows were just a factor of having a 'vert. The coupe does it too? Very Interesting.

CT: I want to hear more about this window felt of which you speak.

EnterTheDragon
09-30-2009, 08:13 PM
1. The side mirrors have such huge blindspots you can't even see a schoolbus next to you.

2. The sliding door on the USB is so annoying. And the USB slot doesn't prevent you from inserting the USB drive backwards which I did (and didn't know why the radio wasn't loading any songs off my USB drive).

3. No temp gauges. I don't care about current MPG, that's a useless gauage. Give me coolant or oil temp instead.

cwinter
09-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Good lord this thread is turning into something...

If you actually made the effort to create bulleted/numbered lists of 10+ items, then I am :ouch: myself why you'd spend so much :bling: :bling: on your :roundel:. Instead of doing :bigpimp: :drive: and :supdude: all you do is :wahwah: :blah: and :wailing:.

If you :irate: the :roundel: to that extend, :drive: down a cliff, collect insurance :bling: and do the :banana: next to your new, much improved :drive:.

:thumbs:

Nordic_Kat
09-30-2009, 08:46 PM

Me Too!

Nordic_Kat
09-30-2009, 08:50 PM
The front window switches are too far forward. What am I Godzilla? I can barely reach them. When I'm not looking, I always open the rear window by mistake. Whoever designed the ergonomics of my vehicle should be shot.

OMG I've been doing this as well. I thought I was just confused by SO many window options -- I'm not used to a two door car having 5 buttons that control the windows, so I thought I must be challenged, but I find myself having to search for the driver's window button.

MarkInKC
09-30-2009, 08:54 PM
But the only thing that really pisses me off is the way the car keeps saying "Go ahead, punch it!
You know you want to. C'mon! I'll make that sound you like. What's the point of having me and all these great roads, if you are going to drive like some responsible citizen?"
jummo

LOL! Yeah, you know _that_ sound, when it resonates through the cabin...

Also put me down for hating the useless cup holders and the whole no spare tire and RFT nonsense.

BerfsBimmer
09-30-2009, 08:56 PM
The positives far outweigh the negatives. My car turned 2 this week, and I still thoroughly enjoy it. If I wanted to nitpick, I would say give me an LSD for performance and ventilated seats and a telescopic steering wheel for added comfort.

The front window switches are too far forward. What am I Godzilla?.
I see many comments on this. I guess I have monkey arms. They’re fine just where they are, a couple inches from my fingertips. When I put my arm down in my Acura, I was constantly opening the windows.

hpowders
09-30-2009, 08:59 PM
You know you're in trouble when the window switches are perfectly positioned, but work the rear windows. I guess the crack BMW ergonomics department was on sabbatical when the E90-93 vehicles were being designed. :tsk:

Perhaps they were hoping we wouldn't notice. :D

cwinter
09-30-2009, 09:01 PM
I see many comments on this. I guess I have monkey arms. They’re fine just where they are, a couple inches from my fingertips. When I put my arm down in my Acura, I was constantly opening the windows.

On the 09 LCIs they actually moved the switches about a half an inch or so back. I find them to be in a great position, at least now. :)

ProRail
09-30-2009, 09:37 PM
I do the same thing.

Is the 5 series different? Mine are right where they should be...and always were. Why would they be anywhere else?

hpowders
09-30-2009, 09:42 PM
The positives far outweigh the negatives. My car turned 2 this week, and I still thoroughly enjoy it. If I wanted to nitpick, I would say give me an LSD for performance and ventilated seats and a telescopic steering wheel for added comfort.

I see many comments on this. I guess I have monkey arms. They***8217;re fine just where they are, a couple inches from my fingertips. When I put my arm down in my Acura, I was constantly opening the windows.

Charles Darwin would have been proud of you. Evolution theory in practice. Simeon, the BMW ergonomics guy designed the window switches.

ProRail
09-30-2009, 09:44 PM
You know you're in trouble when the window switches are perfectly positioned, but work the rear windows. I guess the crack BMW ergonomics department was on sabbatical when the E90-93 vehicles were being designed. :tsk:

Perhaps they were hoping we wouldn't notice. :D

Or maybe they thoght you were logical like a German

hpowders
09-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Or maybe they thoght you were logical like a German

Well in my wife's VW Rabbit, everything and I mean EVERYTHING is laid out simply-a real pleasure-from inputing radio stations to perfect placement of the window switches..... must be a different part of Germany, huh? :dunno:

Sky Keeper
09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Everyone's definition of "ideal wipe interval" varies, but one suggestion I can say: make sure your wipers are not streaking and wipe cleanly. If it streaks, the rain sensor interprets this as "moisture" and wipes more often than needed.

They do wipe cleanly, dealer replaced them when they were investigating, but it still repros.
It works fine below 40mph, but once you are on a highway with alot of water "dust" it goes into 2 wipes per second mode even if it have it on the lowest setting... there should be some upper limit of the wipe frequency depending on the setting...

minor inconvenience - there is a way to set it to wipe with predefined frequency. I ended up using rainex, so I hardly ever turn them on at speed.

EnterTheDragon
09-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Here is my biggest peeve about this car: The cruise control !!!

Why on earth did they place it so close to the turn signal and make it function identically to the turn signal? On many occasions I've hit the wrong stalk. They need to put it on the right side and make it more intuitive like on other cars. And the way it raises speed to the nearest 5mph is LAME. It should always it raise by 5, not by 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 like it does now.

bikenski
09-30-2009, 11:44 PM
13. the gas door should be lockable.

The gas door does lock when the doors are locked. Try it.

16. could be better storage for loose change and what nots

I agree more storage would be nice, but the front smaller section of the lower door pocket seems to work quite well to hold loose change. As long as the pocket is closed, I don't hear it rattling around.

robertinwa
09-30-2009, 11:49 PM

I never have that problem in the Coupe.:)

ucdbiendog
09-30-2009, 11:54 PM
1. The radio display with polarized sunglasses
2. Brake dust
3. RFTs - although I'll be fixing that soon when the tread runs out on these

And for good measure, a few things I love:
1. Sports seats
2. Taking a turn at more than twice the posted speed
3. 300 ft-lb of torque down low

[theStig]
10-01-2009, 12:14 AM
1. Needing Ninja skills for shifting with AC on.
2. How unstable the car is on uneven surfaces. Guess it's got something to do with RFTs.
3. Rattles.
4. Window switches are not in the right place.

The Otherside
10-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I now hate all the cars I used to like. Lol

Sky Keeper
10-01-2009, 12:34 AM
oh yes.. wrong polarization of radio display that's not compatible with polarized sunglasses.

don't agree on uneven surfaces - very compliant with a ton of forgiveness.
If by "uneven" surfaces you mean highway "tracks" that make the car want to jump out, then it's tire related issue. The car tends to follow the tracks with a non-RFT or winter set of tires I have.

bsell
10-01-2009, 01:58 AM
In decreasing levels of annoyance:

1. Hydrualic lifters won't pump up on short trips, fail and wipe out the camshafts before 100K miles. Didn't BMW start out as an aircraft engine company? Epic Fail!

2. Unsmooth shifting/excessive concentration required to smoothly shift; requires holding the revs up to accomplish a smooth shift. I thought this was a 'driver's' car...not so with this inelegant design.

3. Climate control biased for people with frozen feet. My feet were always HOT because the system always applied warm air to the feet first and foremost when trying to moderate the temperature. Come on BMW, it is a new century and you can't make the same air temp come out of multiple vents at the same time?

3.5. Overly complicated air handling system requires too much driver input to function at its core job of making folks comfortable, something I never was with this garbage system.

4. Brake dust ruining the wheels and look of the car. This was never a problem for the U.S. made cars, back in the day, yet seemed to be accepted practice in the Euro-produced cars. I liken this brake dust to the diesel sooted rear ends of 1980's vintage cars. Unacceptable now as it was back then.

5. Rear parcel shelf click/rattle. How many more model years will BMW refuse to re-engineer this poor design?

6. Almost forgot because I tuned them out; the mindless bongs from hell. I hope the idiot that signed off on having buyers of a luxury vehicle being assailed by endless bonging upon every startup. Stupendously stupid application of a 'warning' system. This is something a rookie car maker would implement, not a 'venerable' luxury car manufacturer. My '95 E34 doesn't do it, nor does our '01 Focus or the '03 Sable before it or the '07 Mustang. Another Epic Fail BMW!

Sold the 328 and haven't looked back...until now. Recounting the truly stupid/stubborn design choices made and not corrected in later model years reminds me why I won't open my wallet for another BMW. Vote with your money people!

SeeYal
10-01-2009, 06:21 AM
1/ Air conditioning vents freeze my nuckles

2/ RFT's in Houston and traveling on I-10 caused 1 rimm and 2 RFT's failure so far...

3/ Those st#$%^ cup holders...

4/ A Camaro R/S stuck to my tail pipes to 120, could not get rid of him, so I had to lift the foot...

hpowders
10-01-2009, 06:43 AM
I never have that problem in the Coupe.:)

I didn't know the window switches are different in the coupe.

FLA 335
10-01-2009, 07:11 AM
1. Side mirrors suck.

6. The damn window switches for the front windows are too far forward. Whoever designed the inside of this car should be shot!

#6 !!! YES i am 5 foot 6 on a windy day... i have to lean forward to open the front window, i try to pull it off without leaning forward and MAN O MAN do i open the rear windows EVERY time!!! YESH! :bawling:

consternation
10-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Wow, I'm surprised at all the issues everyone is having with their cars. November will be 10 years since I got my car. The only issue I have is the break dust. Everything else (with the exception of normal wear-and-tear) is good with me. I don't have RFTs and the placement of all the knobs and buttons are right on the money for me; granted I'm 6'2".

My biggest concern right now is having to go on the market for a new car. With out a doubt it's going to have to be a bimmer; but I've gotten spoiled by the configuration of my current car. I'm afraid of RFTs, I make occasional long distance (>400 miles) late at night trips -- I ABSOLUTELY need a spare tire!

Now to flip this thread a little, one thing that I can't see myself with out (going forward into a new car) would have to be the cabin-lighting. I love the way all the lights come on with a single button press, not just a small focused/dim light that sines directly into your eye. Oh, oh, I just remembered ... I also love the fact that I can turn on the air-conditioner and not have it blow directly in my face (I can control where the output goes) and I can also control the temperature (air conditioners are supposed to remove moisture from the air -- cooling the air is a side effect.)

Oh well, my two-cents (unabridged version)

;-> (consternation)

Spagolli94
10-01-2009, 10:11 AM
No comment. My computer will self-destruct if I type the words "pothole explosions" once more. Oh, doh!!! Duped again!

Seriously, the fact that this car explodes over potholes and makes a loud rumble over patched pavement is totally unacceptable - at any price point. Blame it on the 18" wheels, blame it on the suspension. Whatever. Other sports cars (even cheaper ones) have firm suspensions and big rims and don't sound like they are breaking in half when you hit bumps.

I never complain about anything else. That's because the rest of the car is damn near perfect in my mind. Powertrain, seats, ergos, sound system, styling, etc. Couldn't ask for more.

neapolitan
10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
You may not believe this, neapolitan, but I hadn't read that. I am struck by the similarities. As with others, we are bonded in a shared experience of dread. There's also something about great minds thinking alike, but I don't claim my mind is all that great.

and I contend that kwa-THUMP is better than kablaam.

I do, however, hereby officially give you credit for writing essentially the same thing first. If I see a little farther, it's because I stand on the shoulders of giants. (Or something like that.)

Sorry, but yes, I don't believe you. :) You had posted in that same pothole explosions thread mere hours before and after I did, and magically didn't read my post? Kavaaya said the same thing -- that she "internalized" what she read and didn't realize that it wasn't hers... we do it all the time, not a big deal, but there is a next to zero chance that two people would, by chance, come up with the same clauses and stanzas, paragraph structure, which is vintage neapolitan. As you said, the similarities are just beyond deniability, and given the way that I historically talk / post / type, with multiple stanzas (sic.), that little mini-rant is characteristic. I often start using the same phrases that lady neapolitan uses, and don't realize it. The brain is a fascinating thing.

On a totally unrelated subject, although I like my BMW on South Pennsylvania roads, in Pittsburgh it is terrible. I have destroyed 4 tires and 7 rims in the NYC, er.... Pittsburgh where I live, and am constantly worried about it. It is like I am driving through a war zone and it seriously hurts my enjoyment of the car. This will be my last BMW.

P.S. Oh yeah, and lime rock was great.

Savvy?

FLA 335
10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Wow, I'm surprised at all the issues everyone is having with their cars. November will be 10 years since I got my car. The only issue I have is the break dust. Everything else (with the exception of normal wear-and-tear) is good with me. I don't have RFTs and the placement of all the knobs and buttons are right on the money for me; granted I'm 6'2".

My biggest concern right now is having to go on the market for a new car. With out a doubt it's going to have to be a bimmer; but I've gotten spoiled by the configuration of my current car. I'm afraid of RFTs, I make occasional long distance (>400 miles) late at night trips -- I ABSOLUTELY need a spare tire!

Now to flip this thread a little, one thing that I can't see myself with out (going forward into a new car) would have to be the cabin-lighting. I love the way all the lights come on with a single button press, not just a small focused/dim light that sines directly into your eye. Oh, oh, I just remembered ... I also love the fact that I can turn on the air-conditioner and not have it blow directly in my face (I can control where the output goes) and I can also control the temperature (air conditioners are supposed to remove moisture from the air -- cooling the air is a side effect.)

Oh well, my two-cents (unabridged version)

;-> (consternation)

i agree with the cabin lighting, i was thinking to myself while driving i wonder how to turn on the cabin lights by my feet as i remember the prior day i dropped my pen, so when i got home i said well lets see if i press the center cabin light button all lights should turn on... and boom! on the money the entire cabin was illuminated.... :D

Vinnn3
10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
The wipers annoy me too. The speed settings suck and You can never just get a slow setting for when it drizzles. You have to do it manually. VERY VERY annoying. Will this be my last BMW? Time will tell.

carve
10-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Huh...I have the rains sensing wipers, and they only seem to work when you're moving fast enough for the drops to blow across the windshield. If you're going slow, or it's just a slow drizzle, you can barely see out by the time it decides to wipe. I'd much rather just have adjustable intermittent wipers than these damn things. I only like 'em when I'm going over 60 mph.

Kilgore Trout
10-01-2009, 02:25 PM
The biggest annoyance in this car for me (and probably a lot of others) is not having a wheel well that fits a spare - so I could make up my own mind about runflats.

Less significant concerns:

1) Still lots of bugs in the 2009 Idrive
2) The Service Engine Soon light goes on if the gas cap is loose. And, in contrast to what several of you have reported, the light will not turn itself off in time if you simply screw in the cap tighter.
3) The windshield wiper switch is pretty clunky. I can never figure out what mode it is.
4) Cabin storage is skimpy. In fairness, though, this is my first RWD car in some time. FWD cars tend to be a little bit more spacious anyway.
5) Wheel dust (like everybody else complains about).
6) Annoyingly slow throttle response off the line.

The only one of the above issues that is a real concern to me is #6.

swartzentruber
10-01-2009, 02:50 PM
My lists (many similar to others)
1) runflats and lack of space for a spare
2) lack of a true sport suspension on the XI, and the XI 4x4 look (sure BMW, want to keep losing sales to Audi, keep on doing this one)
3) cruise doesn't disengage when clutch is depressed (I've never driven another car that did this)
4) super short range of the key fob (I guess they expected everyone to get CA)
5) fact that you can't fit the whole owners manual in the glove compartment
6) the *@*#& cupholders that seemingly can't seem to hold any coffee mug in place. I usually don't even drink in the car (it's for work), but it would be nice if I wasn't mopping up coffee off the seats every other day.
7) lack of headroom in the coupe. Common BMW, you couldn't squeeze one more inch in? I don't know how taller guys fit.
8) no dipstick
9) super super slow ipod scrolling
10) I don't know if it's the engine heat, or what, but it is so hard to get the car cooled without using A/C. Usually, I need it on 64 or 65, when in every other car 69 works fine.
edit: almost forgot #11
11) fact that BMW hides whether or not your x35 car is coming with the extra oil cooler or not. "Well, you have to get sport. Oh wait, you have an XI, sorry, you need 18" rims too, because big rims have so much to do with whether you should be getting an oil cooler or not." Yeah, BMW, keep f***ing with us XI folks, that S4 is looking more and more attractive.

TofuTurkey
10-01-2009, 02:57 PM

ProfessorCook
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Why on earth did they place it so close to the turn signal and make it function identically to the turn signal? On many occasions I've hit the wrong stalk. They need to put it on the right side and make it more intuitive like on other cars. And the way it raises speed to the nearest 5mph is LAME. It should always it raise by 5, not by 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 like it does now.

Well here's an example of hitting the middle ground, I guess. Because I think the cruise control is the smartest, best designed, most functional I've ever used. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

swartzentruber
10-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Well here's an example of hitting the middle ground, I guess. Because I think the cruise control is the smartest, best designed, most functional I've ever used. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Well, I REALLY like the ability to easily raise or lower the speed by either 1 or 5 mph. However, (see above), I think it's moronic that it leaves it engaged when you clutch.

KentW
10-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Well here's an example of hitting the middle ground, I guess. Because I think the cruise control is the smartest, best designed, most functional I've ever used. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I agree. The fact that it's hidden behind the wheel isn't an issue once you've used it more than once or twice. You can do it by feel...no need to look at the lever.

BlueC
10-01-2009, 05:05 PM

+1

I rather enjoy the cruise control in these vehicles. Why would you not want the control to increase/decrease by 1mph increments?

pippo
10-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Probably mentioned, but:

No oil dipstick
NO ENGINE TEMP GAUGE (substituted by moronic MPG "truth-o-meter")
door handles/unlock levers in cab too far back
vinyl seats instead of good cloth for a base model

Thats it. Cars cant be perfect, eh?

GinoDotCom
10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

The cruise control raises the speed by five if you foward 'click' the stem all the way foward instead of when you gently push foward only causing increments of 1mph per push. Are you complaining because we actually have the option of raising the cruise by 1 or 5mph? I thought options were a beautiful thing?

OnlySkills
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
1. maintainence is so high
2. usual problems - Especially in electronics
3. navigation, it's pretty hard to enter destinations, etc. maybe I should update it to 2009

thats pretty much it
it gets me all the attention i want

my 7 series..Wooooooooohoooooooo!

MikeTerp
10-01-2009, 07:14 PM
1, Run Flats

2. No spare tire

2. No oil dip stick in engine

3. No water temp gauge

4. No alarm system as standard equipment

Other than that, I love my car.:)

I'll second this response, especially on the RFTs and no dip stick. I would add one other thing: Comfort Access. Mine works so-so, and I find that if the fob is my pocket away from the car, it either doesn't work or takes awhile. I won't buy it again. Give me a clicker on the fob anyday.

ProRail
10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Well in my wife's VW Rabbit, everything and I mean EVERYTHING is laid out simply-a real pleasure-from inputing radio stations to perfect placement of the window switches..... must be a different part of Germany, huh? :dunno:

That's a distinct possibility. It is a fact that the northerners and southerners have different ways of thinking. I need to rethink my premise.

MikeTerp
10-01-2009, 08:02 PM

Me too. I LOVE the cruise control on my 328. In fact, I love it so much that I use it more than I ever have on any other car. Easy on/off and tap for a 1mph bump/dip in speed.
I have a few nits on this car (posted elsewhere) but the cruise control is not one of them. IMHO kudos to BMW on this one!

ProRail
10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
The cruise control raises the speed by five if you foward 'click' the stem all the way foward instead of when you gently push foward only causing increments of 1mph per push. Are you complaining because we actually have the option of raising the cruise by 1 or 5mph? I thought options were a beautiful thing?

In my E-39 every click is a 1 km increases or decrease. Best cruise control I ever had.

ProRail
10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
In decreasing levels of annoyance:

1. Hydrualic lifters won't pump up on short trips, fail and wipe out the camshafts before 100K miles. Didn't BMW start out as an aircraft engine company? Epic Fail!

2. Unsmooth shifting/excessive concentration required to smoothly shift; requires holding the revs up to accomplish a smooth shift. I thought this was a 'driver's' car...not so with this inelegant design.

3. Climate control biased for people with frozen feet. My feet were always HOT because the system always applied warm air to the feet first and foremost when trying to moderate the temperature. Come on BMW, it is a new century and you can't make the same air temp come out of multiple vents at the same time?

3.5. Overly complicated air handling system requires too much driver input to function at its core job of making folks comfortable, something I never was with this garbage system.

4. Brake dust ruining the wheels and look of the car. This was never a problem for the U.S. made cars, back in the day, yet seemed to be accepted practice in the Euro-produced cars. I liken this brake dust to the diesel sooted rear ends of 1980's vintage cars. Unacceptable now as it was back then.

5. Rear parcel shelf click/rattle. How many more model years will BMW refuse to re-engineer this poor design?

6. Almost forgot because I tuned them out; the mindless bongs from hell. I hope the idiot that signed off on having buyers of a luxury vehicle being assailed by endless bonging upon every startup. Stupendously stupid application of a 'warning' system. This is something a rookie car maker would implement, not a 'venerable' luxury car manufacturer. My '95 E34 doesn't do it, nor does our '01 Focus or the '03 Sable before it or the '07 Mustang. Another Epic Fail BMW!

Sold the 328 and haven't looked back...until now. Recounting the truly stupid/stubborn design choices made and not corrected in later model years reminds me why I won't open my wallet for another BMW. Vote with your money people!

My HVAC system is fabulous. Did they change something?

Thunder Dump
10-01-2009, 09:53 PM
NO ENGINE TEMP GAUGE (substituted by moronic MPG "truth-o-meter")

Is this just for the sedans? Because my '09 328i has the oil temp gauge.

Kilgore Trout
10-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Totally agree. This is a case where BMW ergonomics really work.

Mr AAPL
10-02-2009, 12:03 AM
1. Side mirrors suck.

I liked it better when the switches were in the middle around the gear selector :thumbup:

I'll second this response, especially on the RFTs and no dip stick. I would add one other thing: Comfort Access. Mine works so-so, and I find that if the fob is my pocket away from the car, it either doesn't work or takes awhile. I won't buy it again. Give me a clicker on the fob anyday.

Yea the comfort access sucks big time. Although on a 7er the handle actually pushes in to lock and to unlock it's detects it fairly easily, I wonder if it's because the 7 series key fob is larger?

CALWATERBOY
10-02-2009, 02:26 AM
My HVAC system is fabulous. Did they change something?

HVAC works fine, but can't sync (left temp knob controls both zones). Usually there's a Sync button - even Honda has that.

And while I'm griping, the cruise control stalk's way too easy to mistake for the turn signal. Toyota solves that best. Actual function and display's better in BMWs. Love the 1/5 mph adjustment and caret on the speedometer.

Cruise control inaccuracy's mildly annoying. Doppler radar needed - cruise control radar can be used to report very accurate speed. Make standard equip.:thumbup:

tturboleadfoot
10-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Has anyone else done this?

I have my car fob in while I'm washing my car so I can have tunes. I finish the job with an impeccable glass cleaning.
When I reach in for the key fob
MY HAND BRUSHES THE WIPER SWITCH AND I RUIN THAT PERFECTLY CLEANED GLASS WITH AN INADVERTENT SQUIRT. LOL

Vinnn3
10-02-2009, 10:32 AM

I have my car fob in while I'm washing my car so I can have tunes. I finish the job with an impeccable glass cleaning.
MY HAND BRUSHES THE WIPER SWITCH AND I RUIN THAT PERFECTLY CLEANED GLASS WITH AN INADVERTENT SQUIRT. LOL

Ive had inadvertent squirts before.. inside the bmw and ... ya...

I dislike how you also spray your windshield to get some dirt off and the lights have to spray as well and it goes ALL over the car. Even the windshield spray gets all over the car.

Also, I have an oil temp gauge...

ProfessorCook
10-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Not to get to technical about squirts.... (ahem...) but it's a tough problem. The designers have to come up with something that works both at low speed and at high speed. Considering the incredible range of wind effects, I don't think there's any way to do better. If the car's just sitting there, it's bound to squirt over the top of the vehicle.

Kilgore Trout
10-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I liked it better when the switches were in the middle around the gear selector :thumbup:

Yea the comfort access sucks big time. Although on a 7er the handle actually pushes in to lock and to unlock it's detects it fairly easily, I wonder if it's because the 7 series key fob is larger?

The comfort access on my 2009 has been flawless. Works every single time.

LawrenceSmith
10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I wish I could pull up an address thats stored on my iphone and use that as a destination for the nav. The field mapping should be straight forward enough. Maybe there's a way to do it and I've just not figured it out yet.

L

pippo
10-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Hmm, someone complained about hard shifting, that it is "rough" unless you rev it up, then shift. I believe , unless you got a lemon, that can be attributed to shifting skills/habits. I say, its much like playing the violin here. It does take some finesse to do it smooooooothly.

(I dont play the violin. I do play the accordion and piano though.)

Kilgore Trout
10-02-2009, 01:37 PM
I wish I could pull up an address thats stored on my iphone and use that as a destination for the nav. The field mapping should be straight forward enough. Maybe there's a way to do it and I've just not figured it out yet.

L

Could your cut and paste the address into google maps on your phone (not google mobile maps) and then you send it to your car via the Myinfo feature?

thkfast
10-03-2009, 02:58 AM
Pretty good lists!

I wish I had a 6 disc CD changer in the dash

I don't like how the options menu on the turn signal stalk work - each time I select a setting
it resets to beginning and I have to start all over again to look at the next catagory

Short operating range of the keyless remote

Poor placement of the front power window switches - I actually anticipate getting the rear windows by mistake

No Limited Slip Differential

My windshield is all peppered with what appear to be micro rockchips

No spare, no jack, no room for either

And finally, 15,000 mile oil change intervals? Yeah they're free, but I don't have a good feeling about this...

but overall, my LIKES list is way longer

captainaudio
10-03-2009, 06:35 AM
The comfort access on my 2009 has been flawless. Works every single time.

Mine works fine too. The function for "stacking" the top takes some getting used to. The timing has to be very precise or instead of the top stacking the trunk unlocks.

It would be nice if you could use the remote to close or open the windows (or maybe you can and I don't know how).

I don't like that cheap looking contact paper stuff the dash is covered in. I wanted to get the dash covered in leather but was afraid of interfering with the operation of the passenger air bag and still don't know where it is located.

The voice command feature is generally wothless.

Other than the suspension issue ("Pothole Explosions") my gripes are minor.

ramblinman
10-03-2009, 07:25 AM
1. RFT's
2. Uncomforable sport seats. The worst I've had since a Pinto.

hunnyd
10-03-2009, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=Vinnn3;4561151]What I own: 335i Coupe 2009 Black

Try wheel wax...if you get it from bimmian as a kit they send extreme tire black and stuff to wash yout car..i love the stuff and i havent had to really scrub my rims in weeks..put the wax on and spray on wheel cleaner when i wanna clean them...

Vikingminn
10-03-2009, 12:26 PM
1. RFT's
2. Uncomforable sport seats. The worst I've had since a Pinto.

The sport seats are awesome. Before this car, the beast seats I had were in my VW GTI. I loved those seats and these are 10 times better. The only people I can think of who would not like them are people who are large (I do not mean overweight). I am 5'11" and 175lbs. Did you try the seats and other options before you bought the car?

Kilgore Trout
10-03-2009, 12:58 PM
The sport seats are awesome. Before this car, the beast seats I had were in my VW GTI. I loved those seats and these are 10 times better. The only people I can think of who would not like them are people who are large (I do not mean overweight). I am 5'11" and 175lbs. Did you try the seats and other options before you bought the car?

Seating is a very personal thing. I freakin' LOVED the seats in my old Acura TSX. I used to get out of the car when I got home just shaking my head at how comfy and support they were. Still, there was thread after thread on the Acurazine board about how bad the seats were.

I have ZPP but not ZSP so I don't have the side bolsters. But, overall I like the seats. I consider them a slight notch below my Acura's seats but I can drive for hours without feeling sore.

What fits my body, might not fit yours though. Everybody is shaped differently. And, sadly, on the typical test drive, you won't have enough time to make a solid judgment.

Kilgore Trout
10-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Mine works fine too. The function for "stacking" the top takes some getting used to. The timing has to be very precise or instead of the top stacking the trunk unlocks.

It would be nice if you could use the remote to close or open the windows (or maybe you can and I don't know how).

I don't like that cheap looking contact paper stuff the dash is covered in. I wanted to get the dash covered in leather but was afraid of interfering with the operation of the passenger air bag and still don't know where it is located.

The voice command feature is generally wothless.

Other than the suspension issue ("Pothole Explosions") my gripes are minor.

You hold down the open door button for a few seconds, and that opens all the windows and sunroof.

BMW disabled the "close window" feature in North America for liability issues. But, if you have CA, you can just hold you hand on the door handle for a few seconds and it closes the windows and sunroof.

You've mentioned the dash issue before. Personally, I like the material on the dash. The only part of the cabin that I find cheapish is the shiny hard plastic parts around the handles, switches, and cup holders. Looks Chevy-quality to me. Otherwise, I like the materials quite a bit.

captainaudio
10-03-2009, 01:34 PM
You hold down the open door button for a few seconds, and that opens all the windows and sunroof.

BMW disabled the "close window" feature in North America for liability issues. But, if you have CA, you can just hold you hand on the door handle for a few seconds and it closes the windows and sunroof.

You've mentioned the dash issue before. Personally, I like the material on the dash. The only part of the cabin that I find cheapish is the shiny hard plastic parts around the handles, switches, and cup holders. Looks Chevy-quality to me. Otherwise, I like the materials quite a bit.

I have a convertible. I can lower the top and open all the windows with the remote and I can raise the top and close all of the windows with the remote but I can't seem to close all of the windows when the top is uo with the remote.

CA

dalekressin
10-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I have three BMWs currently and what annoys me the most
I cannot run the car at the speeds they love.

The E39 issue with FSU and broken/worn trunk wires demonstrates poor design.

voltigeur
10-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Similar to some others:

Edit: a biggie, my iPhone contacts won't sync w/ iDrive :thumbdwn: And, in playing my iPhone's music having to keep re-selecting random play (and not having it be truly random across all songs) is a pain in the arse.

1. alarm should be std at this price

2. bluetooth also

3. history of electronics' glitches w/ my Bimmers over the years

4. Modularity can lead to too expensive repairs, e.g. needing to replace an entire NAV if the radio goes out (happened on our 5er)

5. Parts are overly expensive, e.g. can get the same glass from the original manufacturer, but just sans BMW badge, and it's 40% less - WTF? That's gouging.

6. On the E9X M3 MT the 2nd gear needs to be easier to engage smoothly - it pushes back and is kludgy; the solution is slower shifting but the M3 is a track car and changes should be as quick as can be effected on, for e.g., an MX-5

7. Wish it came w/ LED running lights - bet the LCI in 2010 does bring this

8. On ///M cars - a real CF trim option

9. Offering a black 19" wheel option on the stock M3 (-vs- the Edition model)

10. Allowing the buyer to spec performance break pads as OEM - same as what the journalists were given on the M3's press release event in Spain

11. Allow buyer to spec short-shift on M3 as OEM

Kilgore Trout
10-03-2009, 01:46 PM
I have a convertible. I can lower the top and open all the windows with the remote and I can raise the top and close all of the windows with the remote but I can't seem to close all of the windows when the top is uo with the remote.

CA

That's interesting. I have a similar issue with my E91. I've noticed that nothing works if the rear hatch window on my wagon is open. For example, I'm loading some camping equipment in the back and I want to close the sunroof.

Can you close the windows by just putting your hand on the door handle?

captainaudio
10-03-2009, 02:35 PM
That's interesting. I have a similar issue with my E91. I've noticed that nothing works if the rear hatch window on my wagon is open. For example, I'm loading some camping equipment in the back and I want to close the sunroof.

Can you close the windows by just putting your hand on the door handle?

I believe that I have tried that and that it did not work. I will check again tomorrow when I take the car out.

CA

dalekressin
10-03-2009, 02:49 PM
M3 should have alarm standard. I had to order it and that doesn't make sense. Wheel locks on the M3 with the 19" upgrade should be standard and is not.

GusIsBoosted
10-03-2009, 02:59 PM
its not an M5.

KasparWeiss
10-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm amazed that so many people are complaining about the lack of an alarm on the BMW. Alarms are ineffective at protecting your car, insurance companies don't give discounts for having them, and the continuous false alarms are a nuisance to the owner, the owner's neighbors, and everyone in the vicinity. If alarms were standard, I would pay extra to have it removed.
The complaint seems to be something along the lines of "at this price level, there should be some sort of protection for my investment." As I've just said, a car alarm doesn't serve that purpose. What does serve that purpose is the electronic mating of the key to the car, the requirement of a code to initialize the radio and other electronics, and the BMW assist auto recovery. In other words, BMW has provided us with protection and recovery systems that are both effective and unobtrusive, two things that car alarms are not.

neapolitan
10-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm amazed that so many people are complaining about the lack of an alarm on the BMW. Alarms are ineffective at protecting your car, insurance companies don't give discounts for having them, and the continuous false alarms are a nuisance to the owner, the owner's neighbors, and everyone in the vicinity. If alarms were standard, I would pay extra to have it removed.
The complaint seems to be something along the lines of "at this price level, there should be some sort of protection for my investment." As I've just said, a car alarm doesn't serve that purpose. What does serve that purpose is the electronic mating of the key to the car, the requirement of a code to initialize the radio and other electronics, and the BMW assist auto recovery. In other words, BMW has provided us with protection and recovery systems that are both effective and unobtrusive, two things that car alarms are not.

+10. I praise your reasonable and logical thinking. :)

Kilgore Trout
10-03-2009, 04:15 PM

The alarm offers an additional layer of protection - for example the onboard BMW systems do nothing to protect your car against being towed away. In my older neighborhood, there were a string of thefts with car thieves simply towing away parked vehicles at night.

But, at least for me, it is mostly a mental thing. I don't really care if the alarm offers more protection or not. It makes me FEEL more protected, and that is worth a lot of me.

False alarms are a nonissue with the BMW alarm, btw. False alarms are generally causes by shock sensors, which become more or less sensitive depending on the density of the air in the car (from temp changes). The BMW alarm uses a motion detector. Unless you trap a butterfly in your car, it is unlikely to false. Mine never has....

captainaudio
10-03-2009, 04:37 PM
My car is equipped with LoJack early warning. If the car is moved without the LoJack Fob inside a text message and an emaila will be sent to me.

CA

gEEkChris
10-03-2009, 07:44 PM

+100000

I have been thinking the same thing since the beginning of this thread. The other thing I can't help but wonder is if everyone one on here lives or works in a ghetto? If you can afford a BMW, can't you afford to live in a place with a garage? (or secure parking in the big city) I have lived in Indiana, Michigan, Chicago suburbs, and Denver suburbs and in my entire life I have never even known a single person who got their car stolen.

hpowders
10-03-2009, 09:30 PM
its not an M5.

That was the best 5 Series of all: the E39 540i. Then, Bangle and BMW had to ruin it with their ugly design and stupid, needless gizmos. :tsk:

EnterTheDragon
10-04-2009, 02:47 AM

I'm complaining because the +5 feature does not always raise it by 5, it raises to the nearest 5. Which means it raises by either 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. So you have to look at your speedometer in order to determine the speed it selects. If it always raised it by 5, I would like it. I don't know what they were thinking here..

I don't even use the +5 feature anymore because I find it very lame.

RatherBeInCabo
10-04-2009, 09:35 AM

This drives me nut...I spend a morning cleaning the 3 which my wife drives, she goes out with the car and somehow manage to hit the windshield washer washer control every time. I ask her how she does that and just says it is bad placement. It has never happened to me though.

Ambartsumian
10-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Actually the cruise control is exactly where it needs to be. If your just hitting the wrong stalk then its your problem. And how it raises by 1,2,3,4,5 is great. What if you were goin 44 but wanted to go 45? the only way to do this is jsut to hit it once. y would u want to raise it by 10 or 20? just hit the accelerator and then hit the cruise.

ProRail
10-04-2009, 10:45 PM
This drives me nut...I spend a morning cleaning the 3 which my wife drives, she goes out with the car and somehow manage to hit the windshield washer washer control every time. I ask her how she does that and just says it is bad placement. It has never happened to me though.

Me neither. I'm baffled as to how anyone could hit it by accident.

kosinar
10-05-2009, 09:08 AM
What annoys me the most is that when I jump in the car, start engine and start backing out of the garage, my rear safety sensor is not working because I got stupid "Accept" on the Idrive screen. Sometime there is my wife's car parked obviously wrong way or some item on the driveway that I could not see through the rear window or in the mirror. What in the hell is wrong with the BMW asking me the same stupid question everytime I get in the car? When I got the car I asked tech rep if it could be disabled. I was told that it can't. Have anyone found the way to do it?

Kilgore Trout
10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Every single car company has that - it is not a BMW issue is is a liablity law in American issue.

At least in my 2009, if I wait a minute, the nag screen goes away. That is a plus over my Acura, which required me to do it.

Also, on my car, the PDC is activated even before the nag screen. So, the moment i get in the car, it is available.

neapolitan
10-05-2009, 09:40 AM
What annoys me the most is that when I jump in the car, start engine and start backing out of the garage, my rear safety sensor is not working because I got stupid "Accept" on the Idrive screen. Sometime there is my wife's car parked obviously wrong way or some item on the driveway that I could not see through the rear window or in the mirror. What in the hell is wrong with the BMW asking me the same stupid question everytime I get in the car? When I got the car I asked tech rep if it could be disabled. I was told that it can't. Have anyone found the way to do it?

What? It asks you to confirm this upon starting? Not an issue without idrive -- the sensor is enabled as soon as the car is put in reverse...

Similar bad "defaults" though include the "track number" default to the ipod setting instead of "track name." Who cares if it is track #1283? I'd much rather have it default to the track name, which is actually meaningful.

MalibuMafiaV
10-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Control arm bushings :-\

e38cruiser
07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
BMW !! service on older cars . I own a 95 E38 $73.000 new. With only has 70k on it mint condition. Because the car is an older model I don't feel you or your car is treated with the same respect as a new model. So now I have my own mechanic.
I hear you guys on here talk about taking your E38 to a dealer only to have odd problems later after they worked on it ??? I'm sure at the price of these cars the dealer get's their share of arrogant pricks blow through the dealerships but I am not one of them and
should be treated with respect. I also own an 01-5 too with only 40k on it. I have my eye on a 08-7 should I buy it BMW ??

hpowders
07-11-2010, 04:09 PM
The thing that pisses me off the most is that my 328i didn't come with the N55 single turbo 300 hp engine.

Nayleen
07-11-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm sure my car has a ton of defaults, but I always forget them as soon as I step on the gas pedal.

New positive aspect for my car after reading this thread is : thank god there are no cupholders in the EU spec cars (don't think I've heard for HPFP failures over here either for that matter).

Saw a lot of people complain about RFT's as well. I didn't love them but I didn't hate them either while I was still running the OEM Bridgestones. After switching to PS2's, I can't believe how awesome they are :p

tommydogsdad
07-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I've had a couple of issues with my 2008 E93 335i. I do really enjoy this car. The only two things, from a design/engineering perspective, that bother me are:

1. The Automatic Windshield Wipers. The indicator light, which is behind the steering wheel on the right, is not visible unless you peek around the steering wheel. Not that big of a deal really.

2. The Bluetooth takes about 90 seconds to connect to my phone. That's annoying. I also don't like the fact that you can not turn the car completely off if you are on a call while using Bluetooth unless you hang up your call. I frequently have to hang up and call the person back.

hpowders
07-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Actually nothing pisses me off concerning the car. The car has been flawless over 20 months with no issues-the only thing I can think of is a slight window rattle coming from the driver's window area when the window is up.

ctuna
07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Runflats , no spare , Radio sound quality
no dipstick, free maintenance = no maintenance
These are more like irritations though.
Comfort access leaves me uncomfortable about security.
I lock the car from the outside and I visually check the locks yet sometimes I come back and
find the drivers door unlocked . I think maybe the keyfob is getting triggered in my pocket.
Also no temp and oil preasure gauges

cwinter
07-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Care to elaborate? :dunno:

jkp1187
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
(1) HPFP
(2) No lumbar available unless you buy premium package
(3) Polarized sunglasses make the radio display disappear

BlueRidgeBimmer
07-12-2010, 12:06 PM
It gets dirty when I drive it alot.

I know...right?

hpowders
07-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Okay. I found something. Brake dust. However, admittedly driving only 5409 miles a year, I realize my brake dust problem could be a lot worse.

andyffer
07-12-2010, 12:19 PM
only one thing I can think of ahahaha

1. when I press the NAV shortcut button it takes me to where I type in an address.

Yup. The diesel is pretty great otherwise and we were lucky enough to get the '09 stereo

MB330
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
2 days before warranty expired - car back in the shop for 5th time for squeaky breaks. :mad:
Last time they give me a paper that state that how BMW design their breaks. :thumbup:
:rofl::eek::yikes:
Edit for Washburn: In addition, mechanic, that was assigned to test drive my car, during reversing hit metallic stand that said "Pool Forward"

Washburn
07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
In addition, mechanic, that was assign to test drive my car, back in up in metallic poll that said "Pool Forward" :rofl::eek::yikes:

wha? Huh? haa? seriously, can someone decipher that sentence for me? what's a metallic poll?

hpowders
07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Obviously, not everybody here is EFL. I wonder how you would do posting, say in Seoul?

Let's try and be a bit more tolerant of folks here for whom English is a second or third language. Try putting yourself in their place.

cwinter
07-12-2010, 01:47 PM
wha? Huh? haa? seriously, can someone decipher that sentence for me? what's a metallic poll?

I can decipher it but it loses all its humor when you repost it in proper English. :thumbup:

Lufthansa
07-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I agree with hpowders - we may have professional athletes with names like D'Brickashaw, DeAngelo, Plaxico, or (c)rappers try to post here, and we should be more tolerant.

hpowders
07-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Ha! Ha! Are you inferring that college phys. ed. majors are basically illiterate?

I'm assuming most pro athletes were neither Elizabethan scholars, nor linear algebra majors in "college".

However, some folks here have ESL or ETL situations and I give them credit for trying to express themselves, as difficult as it may be. A little more tolerance and a pinch less rudeness can go a long way.

That's all I'm sayin'.

Lufthansa
07-12-2010, 05:42 PM
...and all the money in the world won't buy an I.Q. You can put a tuxedo on a (fill in the blank), but it's still a...'uh, you know'.

captainaudio
07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Ha! Ha! Are you inferring that college phys. ed. majors are basically illiterate?

I'm assuming most pro athletes were neither Elizabethan scholars, nor linear algebra majors in "college".

However, some folks here have ESL or ETL situations and I give them credit for trying to express themselves, as difficult as it may be. A little more tolerance and a pinch less rudeness can go a long way.

There are exceptions to every rule.

<TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDTH: 25em; FONT-SIZE: 90%" class="infobox vcard"><CAPTION style="FONT-SIZE: larger" class="fn summary">Frank Ryan</CAPTION>*******><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>px (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Upload?wpDestFile=Ryan-Frank.jpg)</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc; COLOR: black; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD colSpan=2>No. 13, 15 </TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>Quarterback (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Quarterback)</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2>Personal information</TH></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Date of birth: July 12, 1936 (1936-07-12) (age 74)</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>Place of birth: Fort Worth, Texas (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Fort_Worth,_Texas)</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>High School (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/High_school_football): R. L. Paschal High School (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/R._L._Paschal_High_School)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" width="50%">Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" width="50%">Weight: 199 lb (90 kg)</TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2 align=middle>Career information</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>College (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/List_of_college_athletic_conferences): Rice (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Rice_University)</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>NFL Draft (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/NFL_Draft): 1958 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1958_NFL_Draft) / Round: 5 / Pick: 55</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Debuted in 1958 for the Los Angeles Rams (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Los_Angeles_Rams)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Last played in 1970 for the Washington Redskins (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Washington_Redskins)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2 align=middle>Career history</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: left"><TD colSpan=2> As player:

Los Angeles Rams (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/St._Louis_Rams) (1958 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1958_NFL_season)-1961 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1961_NFL_season))
Cleveland Browns (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Cleveland_Browns) (1962 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1962_NFL_season)-1968 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1968_NFL_season))
Washington Redskins (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Washington_Redskins) (1969 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1969_NFL_season)-1970 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1970_NFL_season))
</TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2 align=middle>Career highlights and awards</TH></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 align=left>

3× Pro Bowl (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Pro_Bowl) selection (1964 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1965_Pro_Bowl), 1965 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1966_Pro_Bowl), 1966 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1967_Pro_Bowl))
</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2>Career NFL statistics as of 1970</TH></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Pass attempts </TH><TD> 2,133</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Pass completions </TH><TD> 1,090</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Percentage </TH><TD> 51.1</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">TD (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Touchdown)-INT (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Interception_(football)) </TH><TD> 149-111</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Passing Yards </TH><TD> 16,042</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">QB Rating (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Passer_rating) </TH><TD> 77.6</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TH colSpan=2><SMALL>Stats at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=RYA207645)</SMALL></TH></TR>********></TABLE>
Frank Beall Ryan (born July 12, 1936 in Fort Worth (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Fort_Worth,_Texas), Texas (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Texas)) is a retired American football (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/American_football) quarterback (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Quarterback) in the National Football League (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/National_Football_League) who played for the Los Angeles Rams (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/St._Louis_Rams) (1958 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1958_Los_Angeles_Rams_season)-1961 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1961_Los_Angeles_Rams_season)), Cleveland Browns (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Cleveland_Browns) (1962 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1962_Cleveland_Browns_season)-1968 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1968_Cleveland_Browns_season)) and Washington Redskins (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Washington_Redskins) (1969 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1969_Washington_Redskins_season)-1970 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1970_Washington_Redskins_season)). Although he led the Browns to their last National Football League title in 1964 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/NFL_Championship_Game,_1964), Ryan is best remembered for being perhaps the only Ph.D. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy) in mathematics (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Mathematics) to play in the league, completing a doctorate at Rice University (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Rice_University) (1965) with the dissertation (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Dissertation) A Characterization of the Set of Asymptotic Values of a Function Holomorphic in the Unit Disc, advised by Gerald Mac Lane (http://www.bimmerfest.com/w/index.php?title=Gerald_Mac_Lane&action=edit&redlink=1).<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1] (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/#cite_note-0)</SUP>

hpowders
07-12-2010, 05:45 PM
You can buy your own IQ self-test and cheat.

hpowders
07-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I realize there are quite a few exceptions. Many scholar-athletes. But the overwhelming majority were phys ed majors for a reason.

tommydogsdad
07-12-2010, 05:50 PM

I had a 3k mile oil change done just to be safe. When I made the appointment, the lady was VERY quick to tell me that it wasn't covered.

boltjaM3s
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
What pisses me off the most about my BMW is how when people stare at me with that "oh, he thinks he's soooo superior to me" look and they don't know the real me and they just think that because I'm in a BMW and am wearing a Rolex watch and Ralph Lauren trousers while talking on an iPhone 4 as I lean against my iPad while the valet gets ready to take my keys that I'm the stereotypical BMW driver that everyone is supposed to hate.

BJ

Lufthansa
07-12-2010, 05:57 PM
captainaudio,

Athletes coming from the Military Academies also come to mind (Staubach, David Robinson) - however there is a reason why exceptions to the rule are called exceptions.

hpowders
07-12-2010, 05:59 PM
There are exceptions to every rule.

<TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDTH: 25em; FONT-SIZE: 90%" class="infobox vcard"><CAPTION style="FONT-SIZE: larger" class="fn summary">Frank Ryan</CAPTION>*******><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>px (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Upload?wpDestFile=Ryan-Frank.jpg)</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc; COLOR: black; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD colSpan=2>No. 13, 15 </TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>Quarterback (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Quarterback)</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2>Personal information</TH></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Date of birth: July 12, 1936 (1936-07-12) (age 74)</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>Place of birth: Fort Worth, Texas (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Fort_Worth,_Texas)</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>High School (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/High_school_football): R. L. Paschal High School (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/R._L._Paschal_High_School)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" width="50%">Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" width="50%">Weight: 199 lb (90 kg)</TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2 align=middle>Career information</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>College (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/List_of_college_athletic_conferences): Rice (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Rice_University)</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD colSpan=2>NFL Draft (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/NFL_Draft): 1958 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1958_NFL_Draft) / Round: 5 / Pick: 55</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Debuted in 1958 for the Los Angeles Rams (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Los_Angeles_Rams)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Last played in 1970 for the Washington Redskins (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Washington_Redskins)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2 align=middle>Career history</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: left"><TD colSpan=2> As player:

Los Angeles Rams (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/St._Louis_Rams) (1958 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1958_NFL_season)-1961 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1961_NFL_season))
Cleveland Browns (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Cleveland_Browns) (1962 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1962_NFL_season)-1968 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1968_NFL_season))
Washington Redskins (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Washington_Redskins) (1969 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1969_NFL_season)-1970 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1970_NFL_season))
</TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2 align=middle>Career highlights and awards</TH></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 align=left>

3× Pro Bowl (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Pro_Bowl) selection (1964 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1965_Pro_Bowl), 1965 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1966_Pro_Bowl), 1966 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1967_Pro_Bowl))
</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND: #dcdcdc" colSpan=2>Career NFL statistics as of 1970</TH></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Pass attempts </TH><TD> 2,133</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Pass completions </TH><TD> 1,090</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Percentage </TH><TD> 51.1</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">TD (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Touchdown)-INT (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Interception_(football)) </TH><TD> 149-111</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Passing Yards </TH><TD> 16,042</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">QB Rating (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Passer_rating) </TH><TD> 77.6</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TH colSpan=2><SMALL>Stats at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=RYA207645)</SMALL></TH></TR>********></TABLE>
Frank Beall Ryan (born July 12, 1936 in Fort Worth (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Fort_Worth,_Texas), Texas (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Texas)) is a retired American football (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/American_football) quarterback (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Quarterback) in the National Football League (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/National_Football_League) who played for the Los Angeles Rams (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/St._Louis_Rams) (1958 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1958_Los_Angeles_Rams_season)-1961 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1961_Los_Angeles_Rams_season)), Cleveland Browns (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Cleveland_Browns) (1962 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1962_Cleveland_Browns_season)-1968 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1968_Cleveland_Browns_season)) and Washington Redskins (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Washington_Redskins) (1969 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1969_Washington_Redskins_season)-1970 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/1970_Washington_Redskins_season)). Although he led the Browns to their last National Football League title in 1964 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/NFL_Championship_Game,_1964), Ryan is best remembered for being perhaps the only Ph.D. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy) in mathematics (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Mathematics) to play in the league, completing a doctorate at Rice University (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Rice_University) (1965) with the dissertation (http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/Dissertation) A Characterization of the Set of Asymptotic Values of a Function Holomorphic in the Unit Disc, advised by Gerald Mac Lane (http://www.bimmerfest.com/w/index.php?title=Gerald_Mac_Lane&action=edit&redlink=1).<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1] (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/#cite_note-0)</SUP>

I said MOST pro athletes, not ALL pro athletes. I know there are some very smart scholar-athletes-most of whom would agree with me that the basic 10 speaker sound system in the 2007 328i is one of the best they have ever heard.

They stayed smart by not being over-jolted by too many NYC pot-holes.

Thanks, by the way for the straight line, Abbott.

tommydogsdad
07-12-2010, 06:01 PM
What pisses me off the most about my BMW is how when people stare at me with that "oh, he thinks he's soooo superior to me" look and they don't know the real me and they just think that because I'm in a BMW and am wearing a Rolex watch and Ralph Lauren trousers while talking on an iPhone 4 as I lean against my iPad while the valet gets ready to take my keys that I'm the stereotypical BMW driver that everyone is supposed to hate.

BJ

BJ,

You are the reason why I love this board so much. Hilarious.

In all seriousness, I have had a few people make rude remarks about me being a BMW driver. One tenant said to our handyman (who works for me), "Send M______ the bill. He can afford it. Have you seen his BMW?" The handyman is my Uncle. The tenant had NO idea. Uncle immediately called me laughing.:rofl:

My next door neighbor also made a strange comment once. I was commenting on his new Nissan Maxima (which is really nice, BTW). I told him how much I liked his new car. He said, "Yeah, I'm sure you do, Mr. Snooty BMW driver wouldn't be caught dead in a Nissan." To which I replied, "Uhh, do you see that my other car is a Toyota?!"

captainaudio
07-12-2010, 06:03 PM

BJ

Welcome back. Glad to see you finally got out of that iPhone line.

CA

Meiac09
07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
it isn't an M3.

andyffer
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM

BJ

werd..

my hand-me-down Datejust that I just took in to get polished up
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/andyffer/DSC04778.jpg

Looking to get a GMT Master II though

saranr
07-12-2010, 07:22 PM
...:mad:

boltjaM3s
07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
BJ,

You are the reason why I love this board so much. Hilarious.

In all seriousness, I have had a few people make rude remarks about me being a BMW driver. One tenant said to our handyman (who works for me), "Send M______ the bill. He can afford it. Have you seen his BMW?" The handyman is my Uncle. The tenant had NO idea. Uncle immediately called me laughing.

My next door neighbor also made a strange comment once. I was commenting on his new Nissan Maxima (which is really nice, BTW). I told him how much I liked his new car. He said, "Yeah, I'm sure you do, Mr. Snooty BMW driver wouldn't be caught dead in a Nissan." To which I replied, "Uhh, do you see that my other car is a Toyota?!"

There is no defeating the BMW stereotype. No matter what you do, no matter how nice you are, no matter how humble you act, you are a snooty elitist.

So, I say to myself, "Myself, if they will not see me for the real me then act like the fake me and give 'em what they want. They want you to be Mr. Snooty, then give 'em Mr. Snooty in buckets. Do it better than they could possibly imagine."

Do not fight it. Embrace the stereotype.

BJ

boltjaM3s
07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Welcome back. Glad to see you finally got out of that iPhone line.

CA

The Artist Formerly Known As BJ 1.0 is finding quite the audience in the Mac forums.

The "Wi-Fi People Are Jealous Of My 3G And It's Getting Annoying" Thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=914613&highlight=

The Unlimited Data Plan Is $1 A Day, People. Come Off The Ledge Now.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=927181&highlight=

There Is No "Reception" Issue, I'm Sick Of All This Talk, Let's Put This Myth To Rest
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=951883&highlight=

The "I Have an iPad 3G And an iPhone 4" Thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=946404&highlight=

BJ

andyffer
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Nobody with money has a BMW Visa card or a mere Rolex...
You want a nice watch get the patek philippe calatrava like my dad just got. Wowza

boltjaM3s
07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
You want a nice watch get the patek philippe calatrava like my dad just got. Wowza

Here's the thing about that.

Many of those of us with money have their money because they know how not to spend it. For us, a 3 Series BMW is the financial equivalent of a Camry. A Rolex Turnograph is the financial equivalent of a Timex.

Point is that the thrifty-wealthy who are focused on real estate, investments, college funds, and early retirement should be applauded. They could go nuts with $200,000 cars but they don't. Instead they slum in their 328i's knowing that they've got the minimum status required to not be thrown out of the country club or laughed out of the boardroom.

BJ

andyffer
07-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Here's the thing about that.

Many of those of us with money have their money because they know how not to spend it. For us, a 3 Series BMW is the financial equivalent of a Camry. A Rolex Turnograph is the financial equivalent of a Timex.

Point is that the thrifty-wealthy who are focused on real estate, investments, college funds, and early retirement should be applauded. They could go nuts with $200,000 cars but they don't. Instead they slum in their 328i's knowing that they've got the minimum status required to not be thrown out of the country club or laughed out of the boardroom.

BJ

you realize there are those that can do both :D

Nordic_Kat
07-12-2010, 08:36 PM
The Artist Formerly Known As BJ 1.0 is finding quite the audience in the Mac forums.

There Is No "Reception" Issue, I'm Sick Of All This Talk, Let's Put This Myth To Rest

BJ

:rofl: They won't know what hit them over on macrumors.
Seriously, BJ -for you, it must be like a cat toying with the mice over there. ;)

captainaudio
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM

BJ

I guess our loss is their gain (or vice versa)

CA

///M-ratedE90
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM

BJ

Old, but good! :rofl:

You'll have to ask the M5 guy why he bought last year's model! Does it even recognize and i-pad? [I have no interest in knowing whether it does or not, or whether that was a dumb question on my part]

Can you also give the guy who aspired to have an M3 a cheeky ruffle of the hair similar to that afforded by an athlete to a 12-yo boy. I can send some signed photos if he wishes!

andyffer
07-12-2010, 09:37 PM
...and I agree, thats pretty hilarious what you did to mac-forums ahahah

umpqua5
07-13-2010, 10:43 PM
For those with a navi...Why do both clocks on the navi and the instrument panel get replaced with a whatever message the thing wants to relay? Yes I know I'm low on gas dammit, not tell me if I'm late for work. Jeez....

hpowders
07-14-2010, 05:37 AM
What pisses me off is I'm trying very hard to find anything wrong with my 328i and can't.

P.S. I left the Mac forum this morning-closed my account.

bmw325
07-14-2010, 03:22 PM
:rofl: They won't know what hit them over on macrumors.
Seriously, BJ -for you, it must be like a cat toying with the mice over there. ;)

To their credit, the posters on macrumors seem to have a better sense of humor than most people here who wouldn't know sarcasm if it hit them in the face (or was hand-delivered by a trophy wife).

cruise_bone
07-14-2010, 03:58 PM

FAIL.

I have a client who is a billionaire and I've never seen him wear anything but a Timex sports watch.

jummo
07-14-2010, 04:45 PM

My clientele includes many of the wealthiest people out there. Some of them show it, others do not. Some of them are refreshingly ordinary, some are very pampered with their personal assistants, nannies, drivers, chefs, etc.

One thing most of them have in common though, is a lack of boasting about their stuff.

Even less common is boasting about their Dad's stuff.

Food for thought.

jummo

Boraxo
07-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Wow - some anger management issues in post #1! :)

I love my BMW too much to get so pissed off as OP, but do have some pet peeves and what pisses me off is that BMW has known about these customer complaints for years and yet they do not so much as even acknowledge that there is an issue. Kind of like Apple with the latest iPhone4! Here's some free advice for senior management: listen to your customers, they are your best source of feedback. Anyway here goes:

(1) RFTs with no spare or spare storage space. Personally my wife likes the RFTs but there is no good excuse for not at least leaving the spare tire space below the trunk. Unfortunately RFTs have not taken off like airbags did so they are still too expensive and not stocked by any place I know. Your customers are not stupid people and deserve to have a choice, even better for OEMs but if not then at least don't design to car to eliminate the choice.

(2) Cup holder. Yes this is relatively minor in the scheme of things and yet every other non-German manufacturer seems to get it right. How hard would it be to free up space in the center console? For starters you could remove the idiotic parking brake which I never use or need. And don't forget the door storage space either. Also a bit of a safety and liability issue with the current design, with hot liquids potentially spilling on your passengers.

(3) Front bumper too low to the ground. Scapes most curbs in my town. This one is harder to fix as I can see how the design could affect performance. But somehow I suspect taking an inch or two off the front would not compromise BMWs famous steering nor the acceleration (less resistance even).

(4) Nickle and diming for electronic options that should be standard. It just annoys customers to have to pay absurd fees for things like bluetooth, ipod compatibility, comfort access, etc. which should be standard anyway. Hard to imagine that any customer under 50 would not want these options and I know a lot over 50 that use all of these things. But if for some reason you need the added profit then simply build it into the iDrive price or package them as one item. And for crying out loud, XM should be giving away service for 3 months as it does with Acura - it sure worked to hook a paid subscription from me!

(5) Absurd service intervals. 15-20k miles between oil changes? You cannot be serious. Nobody wants to pay for service they don't need, but they don't want to skip necessary service on an expensive car because the manufacturer is too cheap to include it in the "included maintenance program."

320what?
07-15-2010, 06:43 AM
what pisses me off - RFT and servicing costs on suspension.

hpowders
07-15-2010, 06:55 AM
After reading many of these posts, I would have to add my voice to those who feel that BMW isn't listening to their loyal customer base whether it be the HPFP issues or the run flat tires.

It seems that nobody from BMW reads our posts and cares enough to do anything about these issues.

I have never seen anybody from BMW posting on this forum about our concerns.

andyffer
07-15-2010, 07:51 AM
FAIL.

I have a client who is a billionaire and I've never seen him wear anything but a Timex sports watch.

Dude it wasnt brand new..
So anything below a billionaire must have something less than a Timex sports watch?

Michael Schott
07-15-2010, 08:01 AM

I love my BMW too much to get so pissed off as OP, but do have some pet peeves and what pisses me off is that BMW has known about these customer complaints for years and yet they do not so much as even acknowledge that there is an issue. Kind of like Apple with the latest iPhone4! Here's some free advice for senior management: listen to your customers, they are your best source of feedback. Anyway here goes:

(1) RFTs with no spare or spare storage space. Personally my wife likes the RFTs but there is no good excuse for not at least leaving the spare tire space below the trunk. Unfortunately RFTs have not taken off like airbags did so they are still too expensive and not stocked by any place I know. Your customers are not stupid people and deserve to have a choice, even better for OEMs but if not then at least don't design to car to eliminate the choice.

(2) Cup holder. Yes this is relatively minor in the scheme of things and yet every other non-German manufacturer seems to get it right. How hard would it be to free up space in the center console? For starters you could remove the idiotic parking brake which I never use or need. And don't forget the door storage space either. Also a bit of a safety and liability issue with the current design, with hot liquids potentially spilling on your passengers.

(3) Front bumper too low to the ground. Scapes most curbs in my town. This one is harder to fix as I can see how the design could affect performance. But somehow I suspect taking an inch or two off the front would not compromise BMWs famous steering nor the acceleration (less resistance even).

(4) Nickle and diming for electronic options that should be standard. It just annoys customers to have to pay absurd fees for things like bluetooth, ipod compatibility, comfort access, etc. which should be standard anyway. Hard to imagine that any customer under 50 would not want these options and I know a lot over 50 that use all of these things. But if for some reason you need the added profit then simply build it into the iDrive price or package them as one item. And for crying out loud, XM should be giving away service for 3 months as it does with Acura - it sure worked to hook a paid subscription from me!

(5) Absurd service intervals. 15-20k miles between oil changes? You cannot be serious. Nobody wants to pay for service they don't need, but they don't want to skip necessary service on an expensive car because the manufacturer is too cheap to include it in the "included maintenance program."

Regarding the bumper scraping I'd guess you live in a hilly area. In the Midwest US I don't have that issue.

I think you are wrong about the electronics. Most of BMW's competitors do not include these as standard equipment either. Comfort Access to name one is never a standard feature and is strictly a luxury feature. Soon Bluetooth will be standard on all cars but not yet. If these were standard the price of the car would be even higher. Instead we get sophisticated forged aluminum suspension, aluminum/magnesium engines, top quality controls and a very efficient engine.

chris328
07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
orange peel

galahad05
07-15-2010, 08:50 AM
soft paint, soft windshield glass

Nordic_Kat
07-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Hmmmm, I wonder if E9X drivers in San Francisco with MT's have such an issue with the "idiotic" parking brake?

I, for one, understand that it's not just a parking brake, but an emergency brake and can't imagine a car without one. Yes, I know many manufacturers put a parking brake as a pedal in automatics, but that still doesn't work for us MT drivers.

I could care less about the cupholders as I rarely ever use them, but to each his own.

DSXMachina
07-15-2010, 10:15 AM

BJ

On sunny days when you were a kid you used to get a magnifying glass and blow up ants didn't you Beej? But as you grew older and more mature you found you could have more fun doing the verbal equivalent on the internet. Lots of ants still out there.

(Did you know that beej is a Hindi word meaning 'seed'? You certainly have sewn a few.)

galahad05
07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
That sounded vaguely dirty.

bmw325
07-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Regarding the bumper scraping I'd guess you live in a hilly area. In the Midwest US I don't have that issue.

I think you are wrong about the electronics. Most of BMW's competitors do not include these as standard equipment either. Comfort Access to name one is never a standard feature and is strictly a luxury feature. Soon Bluetooth will be standard on all cars but not yet. If these were standard the price of the car would be even higher. Instead we get sophisticated forged aluminum suspension, aluminum/magnesium engines, top quality controls and a very efficient engine.

Comfort access is standard on many INfinitis and Nissans. And push button start (without inserting a key) is standard in many cars now including some VWs. But I agree- every manufacturer makes trade-offs in certain areas to delivery what they think are the right combination of interior quality, desgin, durability, handling, performance, efficiency and price etc. BMW likely spends more than others in suspension and engine parts and design. BUt probably spends less when it comes to standard features.