PDA

View Full Version : Dead battery (m3/4)?

ARCHER
09-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Why would anyone pay $200+ for a BMW (Interstate) battery at the dealer? This is what they quoted (installed). I can pick up an Interstate battery at an automotive store for less than half of that. We're talking about what - a 10-minute job?

What am I missing?

in_d_haus
09-09-2003, 01:21 PM
BMW = Break My Wallet

TD
09-09-2003, 01:25 PM
It's not an Interstate. It's a Douglas. You can get them for a lot less than BMW charges at a number of retailers including Batteries Plus.

BTW, why would you pay your dealer to install it? At worst, I'd call around for the best price from a dealer parts counter w/CCA discount and install it myself.

elbert
09-09-2003, 01:29 PM
BMW = Break My Wallet

:rofl:

My favorite (from Autoweek) BMW == B1tch Moan Whine, something of which I am very guilty (control arm bushings, window regulators, door seals, etc etc etc)

ARCHER
09-09-2003, 01:38 PM
It's not an Interstate. It's a Douglas. You can get them for a lot less than BMW charges at a number of retailers including Batteries Plus.

BTW, why would you pay your dealer to install it? At worst, I'd call around for the best price from a dealer parts counter w/CCA discount and install it myself.

Hmm. I was told by my service advisor that it was an Interstate and a search over at bimmerforums turned up the same result. Regardless, I found an Interstate at a reasonable price so I will pick it up and install it today.

There is no way the dealer is going to install the battery. They want to charge an hour for a ten-minute job.

Apparently the ignition cylinder is working now (per the dealer). This is something that I definitely need to address. It will be a ~$300 job.

Edit: I did another search using Douglas as a key and got one hit pointing in the direction that you are correct. Many are using the Interstate however, and I have no qualms about using one.

Kaz
09-09-2003, 02:08 PM
I really really wish ACDelco made a battery that would fit correctly. In my experiences, Interstates are the lowest-quality, most expensive pile of lead garbage, whereas ACDelcos are cheap and work forever.

ARCHER
09-09-2003, 02:18 PM
I really really wish ACDelco made a battery that would fit correctly. In my experiences, Interstates are the lowest-quality, most expensive pile of lead garbage, whereas ACDelcos are cheap and work forever.

It has been a long time since I have owned a car old enough for the battery to be an issue. Several of the guys over at bimmerforums are running the Interstates and seem satisfied with them.

At this point, I just want to get my car running and back in my own garage.

Jeff_DML
09-09-2003, 02:34 PM
FYI, I just bought a battery from sears today for my audi, $100. Should be the same for your bimmer.

ARCHER
09-09-2003, 02:39 PM
FYI, I just bought a battery from sears today for my audi, $100. Should be the same for your bimmer.

Sears doesn't list one for a '98 M3. The Interstate is ~$100.

The HACK
09-09-2003, 03:18 PM
When mine goes, I'm going to get one of those LIGHT WEIGHT units to replace the OEM ones. :D

Jeff_DML
09-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Sears doesn't list one for a '98 M3. The Interstate is ~$100.

whoops sorry, costco didnt carry one for my audi and sears did so I assume it would be the same :(