PDA

View Full Version : BMW Assist in the USA

autobahn
09-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Anyone got details on what BMW Assist will do on the new 2004 US Spec cars?

The are selling it now on the 3 Series with the Premium Package. You do not have to have Navigation, which I think would be one of its advantages. If you get it, you can not add a Bluetooth Phone later.

Questions:
Do I need Navigation to take advantage of it?
Do I need a BMW phone to make it work?
If I have neither, does the car still have some sort of emergency transponder?
Annual licensing costs after the first year?
Can I disable it after the fact and install Bluetooth?
Is there a difference between the US and European system?
Does it come with the shark fin, even without the phone?

It all seems like a waste of money without the NAV or the Phone. Think BMW is just trying to make another $750 since they made the auto headlights and auto wipers standard from the Premium Package. (Un)fortunately, when you add up the wood trim, leather and moonroof - it appears they are throwing it in for free.

There is no info on BMWUSA.com about this yet - even on the new 5-series pages.

There was a request for info under the Ask-a-Dealer forum with no luck:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39359

m3again
09-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Are you sure you can't have bluetooth and BMW Assist? I had heard you can't do Assist and Satellite radio (because the antennae for both are in the same place), but I hadn't heard anything about bluetooth.

autobahn
09-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Are you sure you can't have bluetooth and BMW Assist? I had heard you can't do Assist and Satellite radio (because the antennae for both are in the same place), but I hadn't heard anything about bluetooth.

The August 1 Press Release from BMW NA states:
"Bluetooth wireless hands-free cellular phone system will be available as an accessory, but not in combination with BMW Assist."

AND, BMW Assist is included in the Premium Package. :dunno:

Theoretically, no way to get Lumbar Support (from the Premium Package) in a 3 Series and have Bluetooth?

I want the handsfree (Bluetooth) phone option and really have no need for telematics without a hardwired phone or navigation.

By the way, here is some limited info from Canada:
http://www.bmw.ca/english/products_services/assist/assist-fs.html

m3again
09-09-2003, 07:01 PM
The August 1 Press Release from BMW NA states:
"Bluetooth wireless hands-free cellular phone system will be available as an accessory, but not in combination with BMW Assist."

AND, BMW Assist is included in the Premium Package. :dunno:

Theoretically, no way to get Lumbar Support (from the Premium Package) in a 3 Series and have Bluetooth?

I want the handsfree (Bluetooth) phone option and really have no need for telematics without a hardwired phone or navigation.

By the way, here is some limited info from Canada:
http://www.bmw.ca/english/products_services/assist/assist-fs.html

Well, that's terrible news. I was really hoping to get bluetooth soon. But my car is already built with premium package (and therefore BMW Assist). And I don't want to start over again with a new order.

autobahn
09-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Well, that's terrible news. I was really hoping to get bluetooth soon. But my car is already built with premium package (and therefore BMW Assist). And I don't want to start over again with a new order.

Can you ask your dealer and see what they tell you? Mine may have more info for me today.

lsedels
09-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Can you ask your dealer and see what they tell you? Mine may have more info for me today.

My dealer knows nothing for sure but claims that BMW Assist has been available standalone on the 5-series without a phone or Nav. It just has very limited functionality. The 3-series sedan '04 brochures aren't even at the dealers yet. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out the answers.

autobahn
09-10-2003, 05:46 AM

No news from my dealer today, but they are working on answers for me.

m3again
09-10-2003, 07:07 AM

My dealer doesn't want to speculate on 04s. He's waiting for mine and other 9/5ers to come in.

I guess that's better than the other dealers who were telling their M3 customers that they would be getting adaptive lights.

beemer4me
09-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Hi everyone, I feel the pain of those who are stuck with Assist. But those of you thinking or those of you with orders prior to reaching 150 can still get PP without Assist.

Apparently BMW did a terrible job sending out information regarding the compatibility of BT and Assist. My CA did not even know until I told him about the incompatibility. He did however check with the good folks at BMWNA who also were not aware of the situation. To their credit, they did some checking around and found out you CAN order a vehicle without Assist. I just got my production number and confirmed it with 1-800, I will have PP without Assist.

At the same time, if you already have Assist, you can have it removed to install BT. It will just cost you a little more $$. Hope this helps.

lsedels
09-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Hi everyone, I feel the pain of those who are stuck with Assist. But those of you thinking or those of you with orders prior to reaching 150 can still get PP without Assist.

Apparently BMW did a terrible job sending out information regarding the compatibility of BT and Assist. My CA did not even know until I told him about the incompatibility. He did however check with the good folks at BMWNA who also were not aware of the situation. To their credit, they did some checking around and found out you CAN order a vehicle without Assist. I just got my production number and confirmed it with 1-800, I will have PP without Assist.

At the same time, if you already have Assist, you can have it removed to install BT. It will just cost you a little more $$. Hope this helps.

What about Sirius? And the question is why should those of us whose car has already been completed be forced to spend more $$ to remove assist?

autobahn
09-10-2003, 09:30 AM

What is "reaching 150"? Mine is scheduled to be produced in Week Number: 43 (Week of October 20, 2003) . Can I do the same? Is there a special code they put in to remove BMW Assist during the build?

I am still confused if it will send out an emergency signal with my location via some sort of GPS Transponder even without the phone or navigation. Has to do something for $750.

ObD
09-10-2003, 09:51 AM
What about Sirius? And the question is why should those of us whose car has already been completed be forced to spend more $$ to remove assist?

BMW places Sirius, Bluetooth, NAV, CD changer, HK amp, and BWM phone electronics all in the same area of the left hand trunk. It's a question of space, wiring, and available connectors. All of those won't fit nor plug in at the same time. I assume they will place Assist electronics there too. Since the E46 is near the end of its production run, I expect it won't be redesigned. Sucks but that's the way it is.

autobahn
09-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Guess Code 150 means Scheduled for Production?

lsedels
09-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Guess Code 150 means Scheduled for Production?

Can also mean "in production" or more accurately, "about to begin or beginning production".

autobahn
09-10-2003, 01:19 PM
So how do I specify on the order I want PP without ASSIST? Do I get a reduced price?

darchen
09-10-2003, 01:57 PM
So how do I specify on the order I want PP without ASSIST? Do I get a reduced price?

You have to order the items in the PP individually and skip the ASSIST. My dealer just told me that if I did that, I can get the myrtle wood trim as a separate option but not the aluminum brushed columns trim. I am ordering the auto-dim mirror, lumbar seats, moonroof and the wood trim and forgoing the leather.

SARAFIL
09-10-2003, 02:16 PM
You have to order the items in the PP individually and skip the ASSIST. My dealer just told me that if I did that, I can get the myrtle wood trim as a separate option but not the aluminum brushed columns trim. I am ordering the auto-dim mirror, lumbar seats, moonroof and the wood trim and forgoing the leather.

I'm nearly 100% the system will work without a phone and without nav. Why would BMW put it in so many cars if it wouldn't work, and make people pay extra for it?!

I know for sure that you can currently use BMW Assist without a phone in an E65. If you get in a car that is off, and hit the voice activation button on the steering wheel, I know from experience that you will get a BMW Assist operator on the other end. People admiring the 760 we had in our showroom at the dealer did this constantly. :D

beemer4me
09-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Autobahn, like darchen said, you can order all of the elements of the PP separately. You will only get charged for the Moonroof, Power Front Seats and OBC. The other two remaining items in the PP, Myrtle Wood trim and Auto dimming mirror, are somehow included in the car with no charge.

If pushed, just say you are looking to install BT in the future.

ivan308
09-11-2003, 05:03 AM
Ok I am sitting here and looking at the 2004 330Ci ordering guide and there are no option codes for the adjustable lumbar seats ?? They are only listed as part of the Premium Package ZPP??

How would I order the adjustable lumbar seats on their own. ?? Where could I find the pricing ?

darchen
09-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Ok I am sitting here and looking at the 2004 330Ci ordering guide and there are no option codes for the adjustable lumbar seats ?? They are only listed as part of the Premium Package ZPP??

How would I order the adjustable lumbar seats on their own. ?? Where could I find the pricing ?

The option code for lumbar support is 488. I believe it costs around $450. Can someone confirm?

LMC
09-11-2003, 06:05 AM
Last year list $445 (and invoice $415, I think.) Individual option prices haven't changed for '04, so those are probably still good numbers.

The option code for lumbar support is 488. I believe it costs around $450. Can someone confirm?

autobahn
09-11-2003, 06:13 AM
Last year list $445 (and invoice $415, I think.) Individual option prices haven't changed for '04, so those are probably still good numbers.

Got prices and the option code for the Auto Dimming Mirror? Now I am curious what the PP package adds up to when you add up all the individual options.

beemer4me
09-11-2003, 07:43 AM
Autobahn, look at the last page of the pricing guide posted in the ask a dealer forum. It is all detailed there, order numbers for every item in every package. Like I said in an earlier post, there is no price for the mirror and wood trim. They are somehow "included" in the price of the car. At invoice, the PP for a 325 comes out be about $685 cheaper.

Now before you say the ordering guide does not allow such orders, well I have a confirmed order with those options (and it sounds like darchen also has got it down). So you need to go talk to your dealer.

LMC
09-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Auto-dimming mirror: option code 431. Last price I heard of was $340 list.

As far as the PP pricing, I do think it's a bargain -- IF you want all or virtually all the options. The two biggies being leather and moonroof.

Got prices and the option code for the Auto Dimming Mirror? Now I am curious what the PP package adds up to when you add up all the individual options.

Hey, beemer4me, did your dealer give you prices on the options? That should confirm the current prices on the mirror or lumbar...

SARAFIL
09-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Autobahn, look at the last page of the pricing guide posted in the ask a dealer forum. It is all detailed there, order numbers for every item in every package. Like I said in an earlier post, there is no price for the mirror and wood trim. They are somehow "included" in the price of the car.

I'm confused. These options are not listed with prices on the option sheet because they are not normal stand-alone options. Wood trim was a $500 option last year, but they threw it in as a "Premium Package only" option this year. The Auto-dim mirror can be ordered, but it would be a special-order option. It, too, normally comes with the PP also.

If you were able to successfully order these two options, that is great, but beware-- I seriously doubt BMW will give them to you for free. They are not "included" in the price of the car. I'd check with your dealer, because I have a feeling you are going to get a surprise when you get the final price of your car and see those two options added in.

SARAFIL
09-11-2003, 08:54 AM
If you were able to successfully order these two options, that is great, but beware-- I seriously doubt BMW will give them to you for free. They are not "included" in the price of the car. I'd check with your dealer, because I have a feeling you are going to get a surprise when you get the final price of your car and see those two options added in.

Did a quick search. BMW charged someone on this board $340 last year for the auto-dim mirror as a special option, and as I said earlier, the wood trim was available stand-alone up until MY04 for $500.

If you are getting these two options, expect an extra $840 or so to show up on your window sticker.

lsedels
09-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Auto-dimming mirror: option code 431. Last price I heard of was $340 list.

As far as the PP pricing, I do think it's a bargain -- IF you want all or virtually all the options. The two biggies being leather and moonroof.

Leather only on the 330 ..

Hey, beemer4me, did your dealer give you prices on the options? That should confirm the current prices on the mirror or lumbar...

autobahn
09-11-2003, 10:37 AM
As far as the PP pricing, I do think it's a bargain

I think you are right. Better to get the PP and then just rip out the Assist. Of course, I am not against it - if I knew what it would do for me. Would be cool if it would call 911 if my airbag went off and gave my GPS position. Does it, I have no idea. I have seen implications that it works without a phone somehow? Maybe I will get that cool shark fin for my $750 option.

autobahn
09-11-2003, 11:05 AM
So when is BMW going to update their web-site with 2004 info? They barely got some of the 5 series info posted. Dig too deep and you find lots of broken links on the 5.

Maybe BMW is reading, but this is what I am looking for them on their web site. If they do it right, they might sell more Assist, Nav, and phones...

(Fictious)
If you have just BMW Assist, you can:
- Use 800 # for info and call in a tow truck using your on-board GPS locator
- Use our Web Site to plan your trips
- Use an emergency call button which is also activated when the airbag deploys
- We can locate your car if it gets stolen
- We can spy on you and see how fast you are driving :angel:

If you add the Navigation system:
- Our operators can download addresses to your maps either immediately or next time you start your car

If you add the integrated phone:
- You can get live traffic updates and trip routing

BMW Assist comes with a 2 year activation and you may renew it for $150/year (prices subject to change)

** Note: Due to space limitation, BMW Assist is not available with the dealer installed Bluetooth Phone Kit or Sirius Radio. Sorry for the inconvience, but you can always hold out for a 2005 3-Series.

** Customers who take European Delivery may also use BMW Assist in Germany.

Again, this is all fake!
This is what I am looking for BMW! :mad: