PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic recommendations in Philly?

530iBall
09-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I've done most of the work on my '95 530i myself but I need to find a decent mechanic to help me with what I can't do on the more complicated stuff. Any recommendations?

woodnthings8
10-01-2009, 03:27 PM
No help for you as far as where to go. I can say before you leave it for any repair make sure you get a really good feeling for how they treat the cars they work on. A good walk through the shop can tell you allot! See how things are stored and take a look at the condition of other cars in the shop.

What other things are more complicated that you need help with?

530iBall
10-02-2009, 06:23 AM
I failed emissions and I don't have the know-how to determine why. Intermittently I get O2 sensor #2 failures - that could do it. My cat could be bad - that could do it. If the cat is bad then I don't know how to diagnose what killed it. I need a sensi or guru to school me. The car seems to run well. The engine starts precariously but after 10 seconds, it idles clean and smooth and runs perfectly. This car has 205K on it.

Tourburgring
10-02-2009, 07:15 AM
I had occassion to use Dougherty in West Chester last year and was very impressed with their level of expertise. They are primarily a Porsche shop but look after all european makes. http://www.doughertyautomotive.com/data/porsche.html