PDA

View Full Version : More good news for NYS car buyers.

TedW
09-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Check out this bulletin I just received:

Effective September 12 2003, New York retailers must collect a fee of
$2.50 for new tires sold (including spare tires) on all retail transactions. Retailers are also required to file returns for each calendar quarter and remit $2.25 for each tire sold. Retailers are permitted to retain $.25 for each tire sold to cover administrative costs.

Does any other State have such a thing? :dunno:

Ted

bmw325
09-09-2003, 04:07 PM

$2.50 for new tires sold (including spare tires) on all retail transactions. Retailers are also required to file returns for each calendar quarter and remit $2.25 for each tire sold. Retailers are permitted to retain $.25 for each tire sold to cover administrative costs.

Ted

I bet most customers will give dealers a lot of grief for this one... "a tire charge.. yeah right".

TedW
09-09-2003, 04:16 PM
I bet most customers will give dealers a lot of grief for this one... "a tire charge.. yeah right".

Yeah, tell me about it. We can't roll it into the selling price either. It must be listed as a separate fee.

Ted

ObD
09-09-2003, 04:33 PM

Ted

It's a 10 dollar new vehicle tax. :rolleyes: Some NY gov't slush fund must be running low. Heaven forbid they might cut something to pay for this. :tsk:

SARAFIL
09-09-2003, 04:45 PM
It's a 10 dollar new vehicle tax. :rolleyes: Some NY gov't slush fund must be running low. Heaven forbid they might cut something to pay for this. :tsk:

Um... that's $12.50. Last time I checked, cars had 5 tires.

ObD
09-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Um... that's $12.50. Last time I checked, cars had 5 tires.

Except the E46 M3. :D

SARAFIL
09-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Except the E46 M3. :D

BMW can now use that as a sneaky little way to justify their decision to pull the spares from M cars for that goofy exhaust. Well, at least in New York!

bmw325
09-09-2003, 08:39 PM
BMW can now use that as a sneaky little way to justify their decision to pull the spares from M cars for that goofy exhaust. Well, at least in New York!

:tsk: :rofl:

Matthew330Ci
09-09-2003, 09:12 PM

Ted

California has a "tire fee" of like $5.

akbmw81
09-09-2003, 09:27 PM
California has a "tire fee" of like $5.

Yup, I had to pay a $5 tire fee but I figure its not big enough to be a deal breaker...

TedW
09-10-2003, 05:05 AM
Is this money for tire recycling programs or something?

Yep, that's what it's for.

Ted

m3again
09-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Well, then, if anyone is considering the 330, he should definitely be looking at the M3 instead. They can save $2.50 on the new tax.

Tanning machine
09-10-2003, 07:15 AM
Yep, that's what it's for.

Ted

I think a lot of states have a tire recycling fee. I know that each time I've bought new tires, I've had to pay a couple of bucks for disposal. NY apparently is now charging this fee up front, instead of at the back end, which in a way makes sense, since you can't avoid the fee by dumping them this way. Of course, I'm not sure there's any guarantee that the guy doesn't simply drop them in a river anyway, but . . .

·clyde·
09-10-2003, 07:29 AM
I know that each time I've bought new tires, I've had to pay a couple of bucks for disposal. NY apparently is now charging this fee up front, instead of at the back end, which in a way makes sense

So, I buy a set of tires in NY and pay the fee. By the time the I need to replace the tires I've moved to CA. CA then charges me their fee. I've paid twice. Sounds to me like NY has taken my money and given me nothing in return.

If there's going to be a fee, it should be charged at the proper time, which would be when the tires are disposed of.

MikeW
09-10-2003, 07:50 AM
This is why they invented New Jersey. It's handy having another state 20 minutes away. It let's you go shopping for the best laws.

Ted

Tanning machine
09-10-2003, 07:51 AM
So, I buy a set of tires in NY and pay the fee. By the time the I need to replace the tires I've moved to CA. CA then charges me their fee. I've paid twice. Sounds to me like NY has taken my money and given me nothing in return.

If there's going to be a fee, it should be charged at the proper time, which would be when the tires are disposed of.

Not if you want to encourage proper disposal. What states should do is charge you a fee at purchase and then refund that in part or full upon proper disposal.

Besides, you're just paying for the guy who moves from Cal. to NY, who didn't pay the fee. And it's $10. Stop whining. Do you really like those large tire dumps that are breeding grounds for mosquitos, and catch fire every few years? That's what these fees go to eliminate.

MikeW
09-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Actually, I'd shred 'em and burn 'em to make electricity. Do you actually think that money is going to be used for recycling? If you do, I have a couple of bridges between Manhattan an Brooklyn I could sell you fairly cheap. Just think of the toll collection opportunities. Actually they though of that too, but faced a full scale muntiny if the tried.

Anyway, this money will disappear into the vast black hole that is they NY State budget.

Not if you want to encourage proper disposal. What states should do is charge you a fee at purchase and then refund that in part or full upon proper disposal.

Besides, you're just paying for the guy who moves from Cal. to NY, who didn't pay the fee. And it's $10. Stop whining. Do you really like those large tire dumps that are breeding grounds for mosquitos, and catch fire every few years? That's what these fees go to eliminate.

·clyde·
09-10-2003, 09:12 AM

The fees, either front end or back end, don't encourage proper disposal. Most people buying new tires don't take their old, unmounted tires back. Collect any fees for them at the time and location that the tires disposed of.

If $10 means so little to you, I suppose that you wouldn't mind covering me the next time I buy tires, eh? :dunno: