PDA

View Full Version : A New Twist on 'Trans Program'?

All2kool
10-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I have a chance to buy a '92 525i w/120k but it's giving the dreaded 'Trans Program' error at times. I've seen this before in another E34 I owned and I 'fixed' it by by re-seating every electrical fuse/module/relay I could find under the hood. Weird thing about this '95 E34 is that instead of being locked into 3rd gear when Trans Program occurs, the car goes into Neutral.

What's up with that?

And is there a DIY somewhere for Transmission Replacement? I have another tranny available but it's been a few years since I undertook a DIY of that magnitutde. Is it a weekend job?

woodnthings8
10-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I have a chance to buy a '92 525i w/120k but it's giving the dreaded 'Trans Program' error at times. I've seen this before in another E34 I owned and I 'fixed' it by by re-seating every electrical fuse/module/relay I could find under the hood. Weird thing about this '95 E34 is that instead of being locked into 3rd gear when Trans Program occurs, the car goes into Neutral.

What's up with that?

And is there a DIY somewhere for Transmission Replacement? I have another tranny available but it's been a few years since I undertook a DIY of that magnitutde. Is it a weekend job?

I just pulled and had the transmission in my 94 rebuilt. There is nothing out of the ordinary that has to be done. Jack the car and put it on stands about 20-24 " off the ground (Measure the height of the trans to verify it is high enough or you will not get it out).

Disconnect the battery
pull the exhaust system
pull the drive line from the trans and wire out of the way. (center support too)
Disconnect hte two elctrical connectors and the shift linkage.
Drain the fluid
Disconnect the trans cooler lines (Get new o-rings before this if you plan on slamming back together)
Pull the TC bolt cover plug from the fron of the engine/bellhousing Rubber plug on the L/H lower of the engine
Remove the three TC bolts, you will need to turn the engine from the front pulley (22 mm wrnech IIRC)
Support the trans with a suitable jack
Pull the aft mount
Pull the FWD Mount
Remove the Bolts at the trans bellhousing to engine. Mine had External Torx fasteners, you need special sockets for this but the whole set at the parts store was $18. Two of the bolts are common to the starter, These are tight access and the manual says to pull the starter you need to pull the intake. I did not have to do this, just slide a wrench down to the two starter bolts that have nuts. Have a helper hold the wrench and remove the bolts from underneath the car. These bolts that go around the top are not the greatest access. I would suggest having at least 36" of extensions so you can tackle them from the tail shaft area of the transmission, much easier that way.
Once everything is loose and verified start rolling it back and down.

See the pages out of the manual attached

All2kool
10-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Bravo, thank you.

woodnthings8
10-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Anytime. Good luck