PDA

View Full Version : ANyone see the article on the "futile pursuit of happiness" in this past Sunday's

bmw325
09-10-2003, 10:58 AM
NY Times magazine. Here's the link
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/07/magazine/07HAPPINESS.html

It talks about how we always tend to overestimate how much a good or bad a positive or negative event will affect us. Several times in the article it uses "buying a BMW" as an example of a "good event"-- but says that it can never live up to expectations.

Here's one BMW-related quote:
"In other words, we might believe that a new BMW will make life perfect. But it will almost certainly be less exciting than we anticipated; nor will it excite us for as long as predicted"

I find it interesting that the BMW brand-name is now the default choice for an author writing about a rich person, materialism, conspicuous consumption, etc. I've read a number of books recently where a character in the book "sinks into the sumptuous leather of his BMW" or something of that nature, etc.

Anyway, in some ways the article is sort of "obvious" -- but its kind of interesting to think about your own life and how often you do things based on how you think you will feel-- when in reality the feeling won't be as good or as bad as you predicted.

Artslinger
09-10-2003, 12:13 PM
How does this writer know, does he actually own a BMW?

There are only three reasons why I own a E46... excellent engineering, it looks great, and the car is fun to drive.

My car will never make my life perfect... :rofl:

The Roadstergal
09-10-2003, 12:15 PM
When you get a BMW 'round here, you get the BMW club and the people in it, too. That's utterly priceless and not in the least bit disappointing.

drmwvr
09-10-2003, 12:30 PM
I find it interesting that the BMW brand-name is now the default choice for an author writing about a rich person, materialism, conspicuous consumption, etc. I've read a number of books recently where a character in the book "sinks into the sumptuous leather of his BMW" or something of that nature, etc.

I guess you can count me and my car out since I have 'ette :thumbup: :rofl:

bmw325
09-10-2003, 12:33 PM
How does this writer know, does he actually own a BMW?

There are only three reasons why I own a E46... excellent engineering, it looks great, and the car is fun to drive.

My car will never make my life perfect... :rofl:

Yep-- i agree. ALthough I'm sure there are many people who buy a BMW "because its a BMW", and expect it to perform miracles.

·clyde·
09-10-2003, 12:56 PM
I've read a number of books recently where a character in the book "sinks into the sumptuous leather of his BMW" or something of that nature, etc.

Those authors have obviously never sunk into a seat of an E46...unless they thought that the leatherette was real leather. :D

bmw325
09-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Those authors have obviously never sunk into a seat of an E46...unless they thought that the leatherette was real leather. :D

:D . I don't know that i'd characterize any BMW seat as "sumptuous" or the type you can "sink into".

Tanning machine
09-10-2003, 01:31 PM
NY Times magazine. Here's the link

I guess BMW has replaced Mercedes in that way. That's a good thing, no?

Anyway, seems to me that BMWs are not a bad car for describing a car that one can afford once one is reasonably successful, but doesn't have to be crazy-rich to own, and also as a pretty good symbol of a car that's appreciated by people who like well-engineered things. How many other cars could you substitute for BMW in that kind of description? Lexus or Acura? Probably not, as the brands are too new and also a little bit pedestrian (even though some of them are quite expensive). Any american car? Ha, except maybe cadillac (although that's very 1950s). Audi? Not since the 5000 acceleration fiasco. What other car is so aspirational, yet realistically obtainable by someone who is reasonably successful in a career before they're 50 years old (well, now the mercedes c-class)? BMW is it.

Jayhox
09-10-2003, 04:11 PM
"In other words, we might believe that a new BMW will make life perfect. But it will almost certainly be less exciting than we anticipated; nor will it excite us for as long as predicted"

As the owner/driver of a Z4 3.0i, I can't assuredly say -- BUNK!!!! :thumbup: :D

numbersguy
09-10-2003, 05:01 PM
How many other cars could you substitute for BMW in that kind of description? Lexus or Acura? Probably not, as the brands are too new and also a little bit pedestrian

Rode in a Lexus LS430 the other day. The seats were covered in supple leather that was sort of a dark jade green. The trim was polished redwood with brilliant deep grain. Sumptuous doesn't begin to describe a ride in this car. I got high off it.

in_d_haus
09-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Here's one BMW-related quote:

For a non-auto enthusiast that may be true...

car_for_mom
09-11-2003, 08:14 AM
a BMW making one's life happier...ah, no.

two BMW's making one 's life happier...definitely! :bigpimp: :eeps: :p

kdshapiro
09-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Rode in a Lexus LS430 the other day. The seats were covered in supple leather that was sort of a dark jade green. The trim was polished redwood with brilliant deep grain. Sumptuous doesn't begin to describe a ride in this car. I got high off it.

Yes, and then I promptly fell asleep in it as the ride was boring. Might as well have been in a Honda Accord for the same ride and the automatic-foldaway-mirrors.

joshr
09-11-2003, 11:03 AM
a BMW making one's life happier...ah, no.

two BMW's making one 's life happier...definitely! :bigpimp: :eeps: :p

haha, i agree! in with the old, in with the new.

RandyB
09-11-2003, 01:00 PM
:rofl:

Are you sure it's not (current # of BMW's) + 1 that will seemingly bring happiness? :D

You've stumbled onto the formula for happiness... :thumbup: