PDA

View Full Version : manually raise idle speed??

94Touring
10-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Hey guys,

Is there an easy way to raise the idle speed? I feel like my car idles too low (about 550rpm in Drive, 650 or so in Park) when i am stopped in gear the car shakes a bit... i'd like to alleviate that!

Thanks

woodnthings8
10-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Idle speed is controlled by the PCM through the idle speed control valve. You should check the throttle position sensor and the position switch. One way to test the valve is by turning on the AC to see if the rpms change much. The valve should buzz when the engine is running. If your rpms are fluctuating between park and drive you probably will need to replace it or perform a tune up. There is a throttle stop you may be able to adjust. Just aft of the throttle linkage there is a small threaded stud with a jam nut, loosen the nut with a 6mm wrench, open the throttle a bit and turn the scre out a half turn or so. See how much difference it makes and adjust again if needed. Tighten the jam nut. Other than that no adjustment.

damonwhite
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
have the same problem with 528i 2008. Shakes a bit with a hum at idle (ie: stop sign or red light). No other problems with car. Dealer said it's just the way it is and it's the number one complaint with BMW vehicles.

ross1
10-09-2009, 12:47 PM
have the same problem with 528i 2008. Shakes a bit with a hum at idle (ie: stop sign or red light). No other problems with car. Dealer said it's just the way it is and it's the number one complaint with BMW vehicles.

Your dealer is an idiot. A properly running 528 idles smooth as silk. Perhaps HIS customers have rough running cars because they go to a crappy dealer.
The idle speed is controlled electronically, opening the throttle with the stop will be compensated at the idle control valve.