PDA

View Full Version : Too many repeated discussions!! Here's an idea.

rumratt
09-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Every week there is a new thread about "325i vs 325xi", "325 vs 330", "xenons vs no-xenons", etc... and rather than searching and following up to an old thread, a new thread is started so all of the great info that people spend time expressing is distributed all over the place. An FAQ would help solve this problem, but it is a headache to create and maintain.

Here's is a suggestion that is extremely low effort for the moderators, and it seems like it could help a lot. (Drumroll please...........)

... have a forum called "FAQ" and create a sticky thread for each of the "extremely frequent" questions. However unlike a formal FAQ, it is not written or approved by the moderators. It just acts as a sticky place ( :eek: ) for all the topics to remain so that it is read more often, and people don't have to re-type their advice so often. I don't mind helping others, but I'm amazed at how some of the people here have the patience to keep repeating themselves.

If a newbie starts a thread about something that is obviously covered by a thread in the FAQ, I'm sure someone will quickly point them to the correct sticky thread and tell them to read it first, and that if they have additional questions to post them there. It would create a huge long thread with lots of questions and opinions about the topic at hand. Seems perfect.

Another optional extension is that the moderators can forcefully stop all repeat questions by locking the newbie's thread and telling them to re-post in the sticky thread. This requires moderator effort and I'm sure someone will scream "censorship!!!" but I think it is the right thing to do if the mods are interested.

Please vote above and express your opinions below.

The HACK
09-10-2003, 05:25 PM
How many people who's not inclined to do a simple search will be inclined to read the FAQ?

It's been tried before. Some people just don't care about internet ettiquette and some people are just simply LAZY. Those are the ones posting the repeated questions, nothing you can do about those kind except to ignore them. :dunno:

rumratt
09-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Hack, you have a good point that they will still post their questions. But if the newbie's posts are locked (or flamed and quickly pointed to the master discussion) at least help condense the discussion, and provide better documentation for the people who DO search, making the site a better resource.

Plus, it would give people who do enjoy sharing their experience, but just can't repeat it over and over. I would put my thoughts in the master thread, and point the newbies to it so that I am both flaming them, AND helping them...

:dunno:

Was it really tried exactly like this before?

Kaz
09-10-2003, 05:28 PM
I'm with HACK. As much as I like the NOOBIE SUFFAQ, they're newbies for a reason; they can't read, have no nettiquite, and are just lazy. I've just reverted to ignoring threads altogether (about 90% of them these days).

rumratt
09-10-2003, 05:32 PM
I've just reverted to ignoring threads altogether (about 90% of them these days).

I have come close to doing the same. But I guess what I'm saying is that it's not entirely necessary to give up. As it stands, some of the most knowledgable people don't give feedback. If they wrote it once in a sticky thread at least some people would read it.

There's currently no mechanism for people who haven't given up completely...

tommyd
09-11-2003, 09:33 AM
I have come close to doing the same. But I guess what I'm saying is that it's not entirely necessary to give up. As it stands, some of the most knowledgable people don't give feedback. If they wrote it once in a sticky thread at least some people would read it.

There's currently no mechanism for people who haven't given up completely...

I agree with Rumatt... i think newbies to forums such as this one are more used to 'chat room' style interaction where you have to ask first to get an answer...
I think you'll notice that these questions are coming from primarily new people to the forum, and they stop asking these 'repeated' questions once they are made aware of the search utility...

a FAQ forum would be a great idea... imo

The HACK
09-11-2003, 11:12 AM
That's why we created the "Ask a Dealer" forum, because most of the noob questions can and will be answered in there by a kind Dealer Rep. It HAS deflected some questions away from all the general forums, but it hasn't done its job at DEFLECTING all noob questions.

Frankly, I applaud your attempt at trying to find a solution to the problem rumatt, but my experience on these boards for the last 4 years is that you're ALWAYS going to get noobs that does not follow netiquette until it's been pointed out to them repeatedly and they stop being noobs.

bmw325
09-11-2003, 11:17 AM
I actually like this idea. I understand HACK's points-- but it would still be nice to have a more coherent "body of knowledge" about the common topics. It would benefit many of the "silent newbies"-- and it would make responding to the repost questions so easy-- just post a link to this sticky FAQ. Regular FAQ's never work because no one maintains them-- but this idea could help a little. It could also contain info on some of the more "advanced topics" that come up- and would be helpful for some of the more seasoned verterans.