PDA

View Full Version : Hello, question about my 1995 525i

Pyderz
10-07-2009, 12:12 AM
I have a 1995 525i 6 cylinder.

It was parked in my driveway and I woke up one morning to move it for my grandmother, it started up just fine and made the usual noises and everything seemed fine.

I went out about 8 hours later to try to leave again and it wouldn't start. I finally got it to start after about 3 minutes but it was running really rough, then just shut off after about 5 seconds and it hasn't been able to start since. It is not cold outside or anything.

I don't think that my engine seized because the oil in it is just fine, was a good amount and it wasn't running hot beforehand. Also there's definitely gas in the tank, I made sure of that in case the gauge was off.

I was thinking possibly my fuel injector got clogged or my spark plugs died, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could possibly be, because I'm stumped. I'd also really like to fix it myself because I'm 20 and money is a little tight =p.

Thanks for the help!

geebeemer
10-07-2009, 06:23 AM
1st thing to do is a "stomp test"...

http://www.bmw4life.com/stompTest.htm

Doesn't have to run to test it this way, in fact, you don't want it running ahead of performing the test...

woodnthings8
10-07-2009, 06:41 AM
I have had this same issue with my 525i and a few other cars. It has something to do with when you start the car the first time and move it like you did. I have had a Honda, Chevy, Geo, and the BMW do it. Here is what you can do.

1) Put the throttle to the floor and crank the engine. Seems odd but do not let the throttle off the floor and do not quit cranking it.
2) After about 30-45 seconds you usually will hear the engine try so start, let off the throttle to about half and continue to crank.
3) No it should be sputtering and trying to light off more. Once it starts keep your foot on the throttle to maintain no less than 1000 rpm
4) The car will usually run ok at higher rpm's but will not idle. After a minute or two of high idle, slowly let off the throttle and see if it will maintain idle on it's own.

The first time it did this to me I had a Honda and called the service advisor as it was under warranty. He explained this over the phone and it worked great, like I mentioned I have had this on other cars more than a few times. I have tried to find the real answer to what is going on, but never had good luck as it is an intermitent issue. More than likely the stomp test will not provide any codes as the engine probably has not thrown a code for this issue, but maybe.

You should also try cleaning your MAF sensor. I have heard this is common issue with a start like this. I tried it but had no luck, but I have a clean sensor now!

Also to keep this from happeniinig ini the future I move the car and let it idle for a minute or two, this makes all the difference. I really think it has to do with fuel injected cars controlled by a computer that goes through a typical start/run sequence, but then we shut it off before the sequence is completed. I have had it most often when I pull my car in or out of the garage and shut it off, with only a short run time.