PDA

View Full Version : Daytime Running Lights Programming?

Zappo
09-10-2003, 09:47 PM
Anyone know if a BMW dealer can modifiy the factory programming on the DRLs so they come on a short time "after" the motor has started (like when the auto door locking switch kicks in at 7 mph moving forward)?

Would sure be nice if it's possible? Thanks.

Terry Kennedy
09-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Anyone know if a BMW dealer can modifiy the factory programming on the DRLs so they come on a short time "after" the motor has started (like when the auto door locking switch kicks in at 7 mph moving forward)?It isn't in coding M31 (which is a couple revs old - I've seen reports of M34). M31 just has DRL as a yes/no option.

turbosteve
10-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Hello fellow bm'ers, I have a 01 X5 4.4 (along with a 02 996 Turbo) and would really like to have a switch on my Daytime Lights (they are on whenever the motor is on). This can be VERY inconvenient if you just happen to parked somewhere, finishing a beverage or something else before heading out. With the lights on I may as well have a neon sign stating someone is home! Do I have to go to the dealer to get things turned off? - is the only solution? Any help or links or suggestions would be great - Thank you

Tanning machine
10-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Hello fellow bm'ers, I have a 01 X5 4.4 (along with a 02 996 Turbo) and would really like to have a switch on my Daytime Lights (they are on whenever the motor is on). This can be VERY inconvenient if you just happen to parked somewhere, finishing a beverage or something else before heading out. With the lights on I may as well have a neon sign stating someone is home! Do I have to go to the dealer to get things turned off? - is the only solution? Any help or links or suggestions would be great - Thank you

You'll have to go to the dealer to reprogram the key coding. It would be nice to have a DRL setting on the light switch.

but I don't understand your concern. If you're in your car, why do you worry that the lights are on, even if you're not moving. If you get out of your car, why would you leave it running?

Chris330Ci
10-27-2003, 03:07 PM
but I don't understand your concern. If you're in your car, why do you worry that the lights are on, even if you're not moving. If you get out of your car, why would you leave it running?

This can be VERY inconvenient if you just happen to parked somewhere, finishing a beverage or something else before heading out.

:beerchug:

LmtdSlip
10-28-2003, 07:28 AM
Why do you feel you need daytime running lights at all? :dunno:

turbosteve
10-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Why do you feel you need daytime running lights at all? :dunno:

Good question - I'm off to the dealership to get them turned off - thanks for the inputs - everyone. FYI - my Mercedes CLK had an option to turn them off or on - in the OBC, odd that BMW didn't do the same... :dunno:

Tanning machine
10-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Good question - I'm off to the dealership to get them turned off - thanks for the inputs - everyone. FYI - my Mercedes CLK had an option to turn them off or on - in the OBC, odd that BMW didn't do the same... :dunno:

It would be nice if all of the options could be chosen by users at home, rather than only through a trip to the dealer.

LmtdSlip
10-28-2003, 02:05 PM
It would be nice if all of the options could be chosen by users at home, rather than only through a trip to the dealer.

Surprising the aftermarket hasnt cracked the code and have a programming tool for sale.

Tanning machine
10-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Surprising the aftermarket hasnt cracked the code and have a programming tool for sale.

all you'd need is the plug and the appropriate coding software. since dealers have the unit, it's surprising it's not more readily available. although whether people would pay is another matter.

Pinecone
11-01-2003, 02:59 AM
As for why you would want them on, one reason is an extra bit of visibility for the slower people you come up on at a very high closure rate.

I have them on in the M3, and will be adding the LeatherZ DRL module to the Roadster this winter.

As for letting people know you are in the car, if it is running, think maybe the running engine might clue them, even without DRLs?

LmtdSlip
11-01-2003, 04:16 AM
As for why you would want them on, one reason is an extra bit of visibility for the slower people you come up on at a very high closure rate.

I have them on in the M3, and will be adding the LeatherZ DRL module to the Roadster this winter.

As for letting people know you are in the car, if it is running, think maybe the running engine might clue them, even without DRLs?

I dont think the lights help at all unless you live in Alaska or N Canada

And they tend to hide motorcyclists so I dont like them.

Zappo
11-01-2003, 12:26 PM

The problem I have with them on my M3 is that they come on even when the engine is not running, like when parked and you want to roll a window down, or move some air with the fan (you need position 2 on the ignition and that ignites the DRLs).

The radio is the only accessory that will work with the DRLs off (ignition position 1).

I recently drove a 2003 GM rental and the GM engineers apparently have their act together regarding DRLs .... they only come on when the hand brake is off so if you're parked with the hand brake on you can put the ignition on for any accessory or even start the engine up to warm up a bit at a rest stop without having to trigger the DRLs. Smart thinking there on GM's part, even though I don't own a GM vehicle with DRLs (just an old 65 vette that's totally analog .... so at least I'll have one car that runs until the gas tank empties in the unlikely case of a nuclear winter situation).
:D

Pinecone
11-02-2003, 03:48 AM
OK, I just never spend any time with the engine off and the key in an on position.

If I have to roll down a window, I turn it on, roll it down, turn it off. BMW batteries have enough problems without making more myself. :)