PDA

View Full Version : reset brake linning message

ibnyinc
10-08-2009, 04:43 PM
hello everyone

i just got me a 94 540i and i am having lots of problems with it.

but thats for another time.

right now i will like to ask if anyone knows how to reset the message brake linning.
i changed the brakes with the sensors and the owners manual does not tell you how to reset the message.

woodnthings8
10-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Replacing the sensor is what resets the sensor. The sensor is a wear switch, so when replaced it should clear the message. You did both front and rear?

ibnyinc
10-08-2009, 06:40 PM
yes front and rear. i heard that on some models you have to put the key on the 2 position for 45 seconds and that clears the message but did not work on mine.

woodnthings8
10-08-2009, 07:57 PM
yes front and rear. i heard that on some models you have to put the key on the 2 position for 45 seconds and that clears the message but did not work on mine.

The system works off of a loop circuit. When the pads wear down and the sensor touch it opens the circuit. Sounds like you have a broken wire in the circuit. You should be able to find it with a meter and the attached diagram. I think I would 1st check the new sensors to verify they are not open.

ibnyinc
10-09-2009, 12:50 PM
thanks for the info i will check for that. so you are saying that the brake lining message on my dash should clear itself when the sensors are replaced.

ross1
10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
thanks for the info i will check for that. so you are saying that the brake lining message on my dash should clear itself when the sensors are replaced.

Yes, no need to reset anything.
I'd begin by jumping the connector for each wear sensor to determine if one of your new sensors is open or perhaps you have a corroded connection. Unless the wiring has been damaged by crash or sloppy undercar service this would be a very rare failure.