PDA

View Full Version : 91 525i fan removal problem

ryanscp
10-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am a new bimmer owner and I was "given" a beautiful 91 525i from my sister in law. There are several problems with it but I can fix them by myself. Headgasket is the biggest problem which I am currently tackling. I was wondering if someone can help me with should be something simple but is something That I just can't seem to do.
I am having trouble removing my fan. The clutch bolt just moves the whole assembly and belt when I turn it. Is there something that I can do to stop the coolant pump and belts from moving when I turn the bolt? I tried placing a screwdriver between the bolts on the pump for leverage but it just bent the screwdriver.

woodnthings8
10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Use a 32mm or 1-1/4 wrench. Place the wrench on the nut, stirke it with a hammer with a quick firm blow. Might take a few shots at it but will usually come loose. The fan is loosened by turning clockwise (left hand thread)! This is viewed from the front so you should be loosening it from the top to the drivers side.

ryanscp
10-08-2009, 09:16 PM
That is the problem. My 32mm is turning the whole coolant pump and belt assembly when I turn it. It doesn't take much pressure on the wrench to turn the bolt. I tried the quick hits on the wrench but it is still turning the coolant pump and belt.

japbike736
10-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Try the quick hits the other way.... Remember.... clockwise to remove it.... The quick hit is the best way when you have limited tools.

Tourburgring
10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
If your belt is slipping that easily it probably needs replacing anyway. I would fit a new belt which should provide enough friction to hold the water pump pulley so you can undo the fan assembly. Do make sure you are undoing the LEFT-HAND thread by rotating it CLOCKWISE when looking from the front of the car.

cager169
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
why don't you get something long to lock on a pulley bolt so that it freezes the waterpump and then just turn the clutch nut, I did this a couple of times before i made my custom tools.

ryanscp
10-08-2009, 10:08 PM
this is the tool I need so if I can't get it to move with the quick hits then I will have to make a similar tool I guess. I will try again tommorrow.

cager169
10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
that tool does exactly what i said it's to hold the water pump pulley in place

injunmort
10-09-2009, 07:53 AM
you can use a strap wrench or a large pipe wrench to hold the pulley. i just did the head gasket on my 90 525 and used a large pipe wrench with the 32mm open end wrench. the fan came right off. the nut is only on with about 32 ft lbs. fwiw

ross1
10-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Sharp hits will do it, sometimes quite a few. I've been working on these cars for ages and never bothered to buy or make a tool for the fan pulley. Always have managed this way. Come to think of it I should really get one and save the aggravation.

ryanscp
10-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Got it!! Sacrified a really good robertson screwdriver to do it. That two screwdrivers. I don't know who worked on the fan last but holy !*%#!. Alot more than 32ftlbs. Will keep marching onto the head gasket and hopefully no more surprises. Deep down I know the truth. Thanks for your help everyone.