PDA

View Full Version : Need Full Maint. Program to get Free Brake Job?

Icecreamfoo
09-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Hi guys,

owner of 02 330i. Car has developed this shaking/shimmy which transmits thru steering wheel when applying increased braking efforts, which to me, translates into warped rotors front or rear. However, the pad wearing indicator has not been activated yet with 21500 miles.

Called up a BMW center and the service guy told me owners only get free brake jobs if the car has the Full Maint. Program. I did a search on rotor replacement on the board, it seems that none mentioned this program is required. Is this service center trying to pull a fast one on me?

Can any of you experienced maint. guru tell me what is a full maint program anyway? I have the 5yr/50k mile service thing, is that it?

Is it normal to wear down the rotors before my pads are gone, and if so, from your experience, does BMW replace just the rotors or pads as well? This vibration under braking only started recently, but in 2000 miles has progressively gotten very noticeable. i hope the rotors could hold up longer, or am i being too optimistic?

Thanks!

bmw325
09-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi guys,

owner of 02 330i. Car has developed this shaking/shimmy which transmits thru steering wheel when applying increased braking efforts, which to me, translates into warped rotors front or rear. However, the pad wearing indicator has not been activated yet with 21500 miles.

Called up a BMW center and the service guy told me owners only get free brake jobs if the car has the Full Maint. Program. I did a search on rotor replacement on the board, it seems that none mentioned this program is required. Is this service center trying to pull a fast one on me?

Can any of you experienced maint. guru tell me what is a full maint program anyway? I have the 5yr/50k mile service thing, is that it?

Is it normal to wear down the rotors before my pads are gone, and if so, from your experience, does BMW replace just the rotors or pads as well? This vibration under braking only started recently, but in 2000 miles has progressively gotten very noticeable. i hope the rotors could hold up longer, or am i being too optimistic?

Thanks!

Strange-- every BMW since 2000 has come w/ a 3 year "full maintenance plan" that included pads and rotors if they were worn below spec. For 2003, they upped it to 4 years. Try a different dealer.

Icecreamfoo
09-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Will do! thanks...

m3again
09-12-2003, 03:14 PM
We've never had trouble getting warped rotors replaced on our 2001 and newer BMWs. And you do have full maintenance. Maybe the dealer didn't realize he was talking about a 2002.

Matthew330Ci
09-12-2003, 05:39 PM
4/50k, not 5/50k. :)

SARAFIL
09-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Called up a BMW center and the service guy told me owners only get free brake jobs if the car has the Full Maint. Program.

This is true.

However, you DO have the program if you purchased a US-spec BMW, model year 2000 or later.

Icecreamfoo
09-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Doh matt you're right, it's 4yr/50k... Didnt quite get all the alcohol worked out of my system from last nite yet when i typed that

And thanks SARAFIL and M3, calling another dealer confirmed just that. I guess i was confused between the basic 3yr/36k thing and the extended maint. that i bought.

But guys, from just visual inspection (w/out taking off the wheels), i see that my rear pads have less depth than the front pads which i assume means they are seeing more wear. Is this normal? i thought the front brake system does 70% of the braking and should wear out faster??? :dunno: